Merit award winner - (Mawbima)media | best web awards | | Last updated three minutes ago


Broadlands Hydropower project work begins on Monday

Construction work of the Broadlands Hydropower Project will commence under the patronage of Power and Energy Minister Mrs. Pavithra Wanniarachchi and Economic Development Minister Basil Rajapaksa on Monday, 15th July. The plant will add 35 megawatt to the national grid.

Ceylontoday, 2013-07-14 12:52:00
Read 628 Times

Broadlands Hydropower project work begins on Monday

Construction work of the Broadlands Hydropower Project will commence under the patronage of Power and Energy Minister Mrs. Pavithra Wanniarachchi and Economic Development Minister Basil Rajapaksa on Monday, 15th July. The plant will add 35 megawatt to the national grid.

The Plant will be constructed at Kithulgala, about 93 km north-east of Colombo, and when completed it expects to generate 126 GWh of electrical energy annually.

Officials of the Ministry of Power and Energy said that this project which is a run-of-river type project planned to build on the Kelani River is the last of the series of hydropower plants of Laxapana.

The objective of commencing the project is to make greater use of renewable hydroelectric resources and diversify sources of electricity generation of the grid; to reduce the emission of greenhouse gas (GHG) compared to business-as –usual scenario, to provide employment opportunities to the local people during the project construction and operation phase and to meet increasing demand of electricity and improve investment atmosphere of local community

They said that the 24-meter high and 114-meter long dam will be constructed across the Kelani River in Kithulgala in the Nuwara Eliya District and the power plant will be established in Yatiyanthota in Kegalle district. The tunnel of the complex will be 3.5 kilometers long and 5.4 meters in diameter.

The project is estimated to cost US$ 82 million, 85% of which is financed by China Commercial & Industrial Bank and the remaining 15% is to be borne by the government with a loan from the Hatton National Bank (Info Dept)

Ceylon FT

Ceylon Finance Today: One of India's biggest Real Estate Development Groups, Shreepathi Edifice ( Pvt) Ltd, yesterday signed an agreement with the Board of Investment
Ceylon Finance Today: Ceylinco Insurance contributed to over 50% of yesterday's turnover after its management disposed of the 10% stake held by its Employees Share
Diversified conglomerate Sunshine Holdings PLC will support this year's edition of the country's premier economic summit hosted by the Ceylon Chamber of Commerce
Ceylon Finance Today: Money printing climbed up to comprise 85.55% of market's excess liquidity yesterday, from 83.17% in the previous day, as a further Rs 2,201.98

Focus

Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa has had to face numerous challenges since he had been ousted from his executive seat. The latest of the challenges he has had
Throughout the history of Sri Lanka, the term "Election Law violations" has been a popular phrase whenever an election draws near. Deaths, destruction of public
A video portraying the former President clenching his fist went viral on social media including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube on Tuesday (21). That very night state
Recent intelligence reports reveal that Crusaders for Democracy (CFD) of former LTTE cadres will have favourable results in the upcoming General Elections scheduled