Sri Lanka Cricket said yesterday that its Under-19 fast bowling coach Prabath Nissanka had been unreasonable to ask for one year’s no-pay leave to follow a course in Australia after he had been granted six months leave to take up an assignment in the same country from September 17, 2012 to March 18, 2013.
Sri Lanka Cricket said that it was not appropriate in any way to grand Nissanka a further 12-month lay-off period in view of the Under-19 team’s preparation for the 2014 World Cup.
Nissanka quit his post this month saying he was cut up after Sri Lanka Cricket refused to grant him 12 months leave.
“Prabath Nissanka requested and was granted six months no-pay leave from 17th September 2012 to 18th March 2013, for him to take up an assignment in Australia. He subsequently requested 12 months no-pay leave once again to go to Australia.
“He is the Under 19 fast bowling coach and it is totally unfair for a national team coach to be given one year leave since the Junior players are in training for the forthcoming Junior World Cup which is due to be held in February 2014. The Coaching Department took all these into considerations and informed the Executive Committee of SLC that it is not recommending the requested no-pay leave”, Sri Lanka Cricket said yesterday in a statement.
SLC said they had already advertised for Nissanka’s replacement.