BACK TO 2016
- January 03 - Following the fallout caused by the execution of Nimr al-Nimr, Saudi Arabia ended its diplomatic relations with Iran.
- January 08 - JoaquínGuzmán, widely regarded as the world's most powerful drug trafficker, was recaptured following his escape from a maximum security prison.
- January 14 - Alan Sidney Patrick Rickman who was an English actor and director known for playing a variety of roles on stage and on screen passed away at the age of 69.
- January 28 - The World Health Organization announced an outbreak of the Zika virus.
- January 03 - World's largest blue star sapphire 'The Star of Adam' was discovered. It weighs 1,404.49 carats, and its estimated cost is at least US$ 100 million.
- January 19 - United National Front for Good Governance (UNFGG) National List MP A. R. A. Hafeez resignd from Parliament.
- January 25 - Six year old K. Tharshanwas raped and murdered in Sampur.
- January 30 - Carlton Sports Network (CSN) directors Yoshitha Rajapaksa, Nishantha Ranatunga, Kaushal Dissanayake, Ravinath Fernando and Rohan Welivitawere arrested in connection with money laundering at CSN.
- February 04 - Edgar Dean "Ed" Mitchell who was a United States Navy officer and aviator, test pilot, aeronautical engineer, ufologist and NASA astronaut passed away at the age of 85.
- February 07 - North Korea launched a long-range rocket into space, violating multiple UN treaties and prompting condemnation from around the world.
- February 12 - Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill signed an Ecumenical Declaration in the first such meeting between leaders of the Catholic and Russian Orthodox Churches since their split in 1054.
- February 09 - Democratic Party leader Sarath Fonseka was sworn in as a United National Front of Good Governance(UNFGG) National List MP, replacing Minister M. K. A. D. S. Gunawardana who died on 19 January 2016.
- February 25 - Democratic Party leader Sarath Fonseka was appointed to the Cabinet.
- March 14 - The ESA and Roscosmos launched the joint ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter on a mission to Mars.
- March 21 - The International Criminal Court found former Congolese Vice President Jean-Pierre Bemba guilty of war crimes and crimes against humanity, the first time the ICC convicted someone of sexual violence.
- March 22 - Three coordinated bombings in Brussels, Belgium killed at least 32 and injured at least 250. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant claimed responsibility for the attacks.
- March 24 - Ex-Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadžić was sentenced to 40 years in prison after being found guilty of genocide and crimes against humanity committed during the Bosnian War.
- March 27 - A suicide blast in Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park, Lahore killed 75 people and injured around 340 others with a millitant Sunni Islamic organization claiming responsibility for targeting Christians celebrating Easter.
- March 30 - Former Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) cadre Ramesh (Edward Julian) was arrested in Iluppaikkadavai in connection with the Chavakachcheri explosives find.
- April 02 - Clashes between Armenian and Azerbaijani military in Nagorno-Karabakh killed at least 193 people, which became the heaviest breach of the 1994 ceasefire.
- April 03 - The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) and the German newspaper SüddeutscheZeitung publisheed a set of 11.5 million confidential documents from the Panamanian corporate Mossack Fonseca that provided detailed information on more than 214,000 offshore companies, including the identities of shareholders and directors including noted personalities and heads of state.
- April 21 - Prince Rogers Nelson who was an American singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and record producer known for his eclectic work, flamboyant stage presence, extravagant dress and makeup, and wide vocal range passed away at the age of 57.
- April 23 - BanharnSilpa-archa who was the 21st Prime Minister of Thailand passed away at the age of 83.
- April 11 - A 59-year-old woman and her 33-year-old daughter were killed when the auto rickshaw they were traveling in was hit by a speeding military vehicle in Trincomalee.
- April 20 - The former crime OIC of the Narahenpita Police, IP Sumith Champika, was arrested by the Criminal Investigation Department in connection with Wasim Thajudeen's murder.
- April 25 - Holy Family Convent, Bambalapitiya students Yasara Perera and Sharon Schuilling were killed as they cross the railway line in Dehiwala.
- May 08 - Sadiq Khan (L) was elected Mayor of London, - 1st Muslim mayor of a major Western city
- May 19 - EgyptAir Flight 804 crashed with 66 people on board over the Mediterranean en route from Paris to Cairo.
- May 28 - Harambe, a gorilla form Cincinnati Zoo, was shot after dragging about a boy who slipped into the enclosure
- May 30 - Former Chadian President HissèneHabré was sentenced to life in prison for crimes against humanity committed during his tenure from 1982 to 1990, the first time an African Union-backed court convicted a former ruler of a country within its jurisdiction.
- May 03 - A brawl in Parliament between Joint Opposition and government MPs resulted in UNFGG MP Sandith Samarasinghe being hospitalised.
- May 14 - Beginning of days of torrential rain across Sri Lanka which caused floods and landslides affecting half a million people, killing at least 82 and leaving more than 100 missing.
- May 21 - JayanthiKuru Utumpala becomed the first Sri Lankan to reach the summit of Mount Everest.
- June 01 - The Gotthard Base Tunnel, the world's longest and deepest railway tunnel, was opened following two decades of construction work.
- June 03 - Muhammad Ali an American professional boxer and activist who was widely regarded as one of the most significant and celebrated sports figures of the 20th century passé away at the age of 74.
- June 23 - The United Kingdom voted in a referendum to leave the European Union.
- June 28 - ISIL claimed responsibility for attacking Atatürk Airport in Istanbul, killing 45 and injuring around 230.
- June 05 - A fire at the Salawa army camp near Kosgama caused a series of explosions which results in the death of one soldier and the evacuation of thousands living nearby.
- June 15 - Somawansha Amarasinghe who was a Sri Lankan politician and parliamentarian, the 4th leader of Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna passed away at the age of 73.
- July 04 - NASA's Juno spacecraft entered orbit around Jupiter and began a 20-month survey of the planet.
- July 22 - The final video cassette recorder was manufactured by the Japanese company Funai.
- July 26 - Solar Impulse 2 became the first solar-powered aircraft to circumnavigate the Earth.
- July 11 - MP Namal Rajapaksa was arrested in connection with laundering Rs. 70 million given by Indian property development company Krrish Group for rugby development.
- July 16 - Violent clashes between Sinhalese and Tamil students at the University of Jaffna led to the evacuation of all Sinhalese students and closure of the university.
- July 18 - Former minister Basil Rajapaksa was arrested in connection with misappropriation of state funds from the DiviNeguma Department.
- July 28 - The Joint Opposition's protest march (Jana Satana Pada Yatra) from Kandy to Colombo commenced.
- August 5–21 - The 2016 Summer Olympics were held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- August 11 - Hanif Mohammad who was a Pakistani cricketer played for the Pakistani cricket team in 55 Test matches and averaged 43.98 scoring twelve centuries passed away at the age of 81.
- August 12 - Cannes became the first French resort to ban the burkini
- August 24 - 6.2-magnitude earthquake striked central Italy, north east of Rome, killing 268, injuring 400.
- August 29 - Jerome Silberman, known professionally as Gene Wilder who was an American film and theater comic actor, screenwriter, film director, and author passed away at the age of 83.
- August 08 - Ilukpitiya Mudiyanselage Vijaya Nandasiri who was a veteran Sri Lankan dramatist and actor passed away at the age of 69.
- August 15 - MP Namal Rajapaksa was arrested in connection with laundering Rs. 45 million through two companies he owns (NR Consultation Private Limited and Gowers Corporation Private Limited) and using it to buy shares in Hello Corp Private Limited.
- August 15 - Justice Sarath de Abrew who was a judge of the Supreme Court of Sri Lanka and lawyer passed away at the age of 63.
- September 05 - Series of car bombs exploded in Syria killing more than 70 people and injuring many.
- September 05 - At least 58 people died and 90 injured in a double suicide attack in rush hour near the Ministry of Defence in Kabul.
- September 08 - NASA launched OSIRIS-REx, its first asteroid sample return mission. The probe will visit Bennu and is expected to return with samples in 2023.
- September 09 - The government of North Korea conducted its fifth and reportedly biggest nuclear test. World leaders condemn the act, with the South calling it "maniacal recklessness".
- September 09 - Two car bombs exploded outside a crowded shopping centre in Baghdad, killing at least 40 people, and wounding 60 more.
- September 25 - A video of the Islamic State (ISIS) executing at least 100 captured Iraqi civilians was released.
- September 28 - Global CO2 levels exceeded 400 ppm at the time of year normally associated with minimum levels. A 400 ppm level is believed to be higher than anything experienced in human history.
- September 08 - Sarath Bandara, Withanalage Anura Thushara de Mel, Janaka Bandara Galagoda, Chaminda Ravi Jayanath (Dematagoda Chaminda) and former MP Duminda Silva were convicted of the murder of Mohamed Azmi, Dharshana Jayathilake, Manivel Kumaraswamy and former MP Bharatha Lakshman Premachandra in October 2011 and sentenced to death.
- October 11 - South Korean firm Samsung announced it will permanently stop production of Note 7 phones after complaints devices caught fire
- October 13 - The Maldives announced its decision to withdraw from the Commonwealth of Nations.
- October 21 - The Islamic State executed hundreds of men and boys in Mosul, in the midst of a major offensive by Iraqi forces to recapture the city.
- October 21 - The Islamic State attacked several police buildings and a jail in Kirkuk, Iraq killing more than 70 people.
- October 27 - 6.6 magnitude quake hit central Italy - strongest earthquake in Italy for 36 years.
- October 20 - University of Jaffna students V. Sulakshan and N. Gajanwere shot dead by police in Kokkuvil.
- November 07 - Leonard Norman Cohen who was a Canadian singer, songwriter, musician, poet, novelist, and painter passed away at the age of 82.
- November 08 - 58th United States presidential elections were held. Candidate Donald Trump Elected as the next president of United States.
- November 08 - Indian government ceased the usage of all R.500 and Rs.1,000 banknotes of the Mahatma Gandhi Series as legal tender in India after 9 November 2016.
- November 25 - Fidel Alejandro Castro Ruz who was a Cuban revolutionary and politician who governed the Republic of Cuba as 16th Prime Minister and then as 17th President passed away at the age of 90.
- November 29 - The plane carrying 77 people, including the Brazilian "Chapecoense" football team, crashed on its approach to the city of Medellin in Colombia.
- November 03 - Deshamanya Wannakuwatta Waduge Don Albert Perera better known by his adopted name Amaradeva, who was a prominent Sri Lankan vocalist, violinist and composer passed away at the age of 88.
- November 04 - Disabled soldiers and ex -Army officers staged a protest in front of the Fort Railway Station over the Army pension procedure.
- November 10 - Finance Minister Ravi Karunanayaka presented 2017 Budget to the Parliament.
- November 21 - Minimum fine for seven traffic offences, including driving under influence of liquor, increased to Rs 25,000.
- December 05 - Jayalalithaa Jayaram who was an Indian actress and politician who served five terms as the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, for over fourteen years passed away at the age of 68.
- December 08 - All 48 people on the Pakistan International Airlines flight flying to Islamabad were killed when it crazed due to an engine problem.
- December 18 - Indonesian air force Hercules C-130 aeroplane crashed in remote Papua province in the east of the country, killing 13 on board.
- December 20 - Donald Trump officially certified as the 45th president of USA after winning the Electoral College votes.
- December 27 - Carrie Fisher, US actress who was best known for her role as Princess Leia in the Star Wars series passed away at the age of 60.
- December 11 - A journalist was assaulted by Navy Commander Vice Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne at the Hambantota Port.
- December 24 - The largest Christmas tree in the world unveiled at the Galle Face Green.
- December 27 - Ratnasiri Wickremanayake who was the Prime Minister of Sri Lanka from 2000 to 2001 and again from 2005 to 2010 passed away at the age of 83.
Compiled By: Lakna Marasinghe, Charith Gabadage
World Water Day 1637
- Cabinet approves President’s proposal 3313
- UNICEF appeals for US$1m funding for SL drought 3303
- Three nabbed brewing moonshine 3299
- Two nabbed with narcotics 3299
- Madras HC issues directive 3304
- ‘Bunty’ captured in Sellakataragama 3308
- JVP condemns Govt attempts to protect criminals 3306
- UK bans laptops and tablets on flights from six ME countries 3300
- Tax on Palmyrah industry hits Northerners hard 3304
- Highest number of TB patients in Kalmunai 3299
- Contradictory messages on transitional justice 3317
- Can China save the global order? 3301
- Russia in Libya 3300
- Cabinet approves Ravi’s proposal 3308
- Buddhika sets Parliament record for petitions 3305
- Police to guard girls’ schools 3299
- ‘Find a good lawyer’ 3297
- President receives warm welcome in Moscow 3297
- Wimal to stay hungry 3298
- Army Chief of Staff 3296
- AA to send 12 Athletes for Asian Grand Prix 2805
- Junior Golf Championship from 18-21 April 2310
- Training Command win men’s/women’s titles 2310
- Milestone event on 26 March 2311
- Nestlè powers Kids Athletics 2310
- Ex-Wallaby details childhood sex abuse 2312
- U-19 Schools Div. Two L/O Cricket Annites meet Sebs in semi-final 2311
- Hamilton looks for fast start to new season 2311
- No.1 Kerber looking for Miami boost 2305
- Mortaza- Mahmudullah century stand in vain 2306
- Six rugby players held in rape probe 2305
- Richmond take on Maliyadeva in semis Today 2302
- Three schools advance to quarter finals 2304
- Milinda to replace injured Kusal in ODIs? 2377
- ‘Battle of Golds’ on 24th and 25th March 3421
- Jaffna Prepares for Chronic Kidney Disease 3302
- A Blueprint for Disintegration 3301
- Refugee returnee safety still in doubt? 3300
- We await President’s response – Gemunu 3106
- LTTE atrocities also have to be investigated 3696
- Exporters to EU must be educated on Brexit – GM ECCSL Srinath 3251
- Manjula Amarasinghe new CEO of AM Kreations 2312
- Ceylinco Life honours 24/7 trailblazers of 2016 2310
- BOC Cards offer special discounts for Avurudu Shopping 2311
- BMICH remembers founder on Women’s Day 2309
- LAUGFS Eco Sri launches ‘YOU’ for Women’s Day 2310
- CEAT introduces 7 new tyre sizes Increases radial portfolio to 40 sizes 2311
- Unilever’s Vaseline ‘Skin Health Week’ addresses skin care issues 2310
- Cybersecurity: Best practices for CFOs Combating the vulnerability of finance to malicious attacks 2311
- The disruptive and destructive potential of fake data 2312
- WATERCARE CERTIFIED WITH ISO 14001 FIRST WATER TREATMENT COMPANY IN SRI LANKA TO BE CERTIFIED 2312
- KDU wins National Moot Court Competition 2310
- RED FM and Infinity Events present Red Lounge Let the rhythm spread like Wildfire! 2311
- DrinkDrive combats drunk driving accidents Sri Lankans get first taste of lifesaving new transportation service 2312
- SLIM RESOURCE PANEL GET-TOGETHER 2017 2311
- Cabinet approves SEC act Amendments 2313
- The crisis in Parliament: Twilight of a functioning democracy 3456
- Mispriced Risk of Infectious Diseases 2400
- Limelight on Sri Lanka again 2397
- Musicalized Version of Nostalgia 5216
- The Many Faces of Galle 6079
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - Part 13 5236
- Fiesta for Theatre lovers 5691
- Viramaya 2017 – Phenomenal success 5223
- Sri Lankan movie at Geneva film festival 5268
- To be or not to be 1290
- Kids get cooking 1288
- Mindfulness for successful living 1299
- The age of nastiness 1289
- 20 years of singing celebrated 1284
- How do we prevent rape and abuse? 1285