Sachin Tendulkar’s ‘Sachin: A Billion Dreams’ to hit the theatres on May 26
A docu-feature on Sachin Tendulkar titled "Sachin: A Billion Dreams," is set to hit the silver screen on May 26.
The master blaster took to Twitter to make the announcement.
"The answer to the question that everyone's asking me is here. Mark your calendars and save the date. @SachinTheFilm releases 26.05.17," Tendulkar tweeted on Monday.
Tendulkar, since his retirement from cricket in 2013, has been in the public eye through his charity work and as co-owner of an Indian Super League football team. Now, his legion of fans will get an insight into his rise as an all-time great cricketer, who went on to break almost every batting record in his 24-year international career.
'Sachin: A Billion Dreams' will narrate the story of how a naughty, curly-haired boy in the Mumbai suburbs who climbed trees, pretended to be John McEnroe and once even pinned down and beat up a classmate took his cricketing genius to the highest level in the sport, and was hailed as an epitome of discipline in international sport.
According to sources, Tendulkar, an intensely private person, initially wasn't keen when the idea for the project was floated by 200Notout Carnival Pictures Limited, about 18 months before his retirement. He eventually relented and allowed the crew to shoot his matches as well as private moments.
200Notout, an ad company behind successful campaigns for brands like Colgate, MRF, Maxx Mobile, Chevrolet, Lenovo and ICICI Bank, roped in the London-based James Erskine to direct the film.
Erskine, an award-winning writer, director and producer, in 2015, made the sports comedy, "A shooting for Socrates." He also made a film on Italian cyclist, the late Marco Pantani, the former Tour de France and Giro d'Italia winner renowned for his climbing skills.
The film on Tendulkar has been a challenging one, he said.
"Of course it is challenging to make a film on any sporting great... But Sachin is the greatest of them all. The challenge is not just to make a story about a man, it is to make a story about India itself, for which Sachin has been a spearhead for so many years. It is not just the story of a man, it is the story of an emotion... To capture that, bottle that and remake it on the big screen requires huge thought and care, not least when for so many Indians, Sachin is a part of them, Erskine told HT.
The docu-feature on Tendulkar follows commercial films on other high-profile Indian sports personalities, MS Dhoni, Mohd Azharuddin, Milkha Singh and MC Mary Kom.
- NUJ 109th Birth anniversary 2685
- Mangala to urge 24-month extension 2686
- Namal slaps CBK with defamation 3388
- Pakistan still eyeing JF-17 Thunder Fighter sale to Sri Lanka 3143
- CID grills govt Printer, Director, others 3184
- LRC seeks Police protection 3137
- MR to meet Tamil and Muslim leaders 3190
- Leprosy hits western province 3144
- skipper of ill-fated boat remanded 3131
- Raggers will be promptly expelled 3154
- Double-speak from SB on Wimal 3157
- VX nerve agent killed Kim Jong-nam 3137
- More snags foul up Constitution making 3277
- NFPWHR warns of massive protest 3134
- Mangala meets US HDP delegation 3141
- SL Police deny ‘hunting’ refugees in HK 3130
- 1500 students denied Uni education 3204
- SLFP CMs to boycott meeting 3129
- Wimal not a party leader – Dayasiri 3132
- New Zealand-bound boat people held 3122
- Pension for disabled ex-soldiers 3123
- Divorce case ends after 18 years 3184
- Payagala death toll now 16 3953
- MR hits out at CBK 4056
- ONUR refutes Army claims 3948
- February – a celebratory month 3112
- Political mayhem 3126
- Significance of Sri Lanka’s legal profession 3118
- A house divided 3103
- Building castles in the air 3108
- Upholding children’s rights 5649
- Now or never for Havies 1607
- Bad light saves day for Isipathana 1606
- Golfer Arumugam no more 1607
- Royal resist late Joes’ onslaught 1607
- Sadeera's 177 n.o. guides SL 'A' 1606
- Sadeera pushes for Test spot 1606
- Wimal gets short shrift 2389
- BASL in the dock 2389
- Ragging: The ugly truth 2390
- Govt gambling with our lives – KPP protesters 2389
- Keppetipola mansion in bad shape 2389
- Diesel Mafia raises its head again... 2389
- SAITM students will not be accepted by any country– Prof. Hiran Amerasekera 3143
- I have no issues with the Minister– Anoma Gamage 3502
- LG elections should be under new system 3334
- Dr. Sivamohan reiterates preference for foreign intervention 2896
- RICE SHORTAGE AND HIGH PRICES BIG MILL OWNERS TO BLAME SAYS ACPF 3045
- I believe in cooperative politics – Karuna 2010
- I like to talk to diehard Sinhala chauvinists – Wigneswaran 2361
- Justices should be subject to judicial audits 3750
- Traders have imported rice under local branding– Duminda Dissanayake 3627
- CTSU to protest SAITM ruling-on the streets 3873
- Google's self-driving firm sues Uber 1810
- Colombo Fashion Week dates for Summer season, 13 – 18 March 1810
- International Thunder Cat Power Boat Racing in Bentota- a thrilling experience 1810
- BPPL Holdings Limited announces Rs. 368 Mn IPO 1810
- Durdans Lab Service adds ‘Predictive Tests’ for disease prevention 1810
- INSEE Cement wins Green Platinum Award at HarithaSihinaya 2017 1810
- Valencia stun Real Madrid 2729
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 3045
- Fully fledged Media Commission by June – DGI 3078
- A musical evening-Hindi film songs 2022
- Sitar recital 2022
- Alston Koch to sing at the ‘OSCARS’ after party 2022
- Luang Prabang – A Journey into Sublimity 2022
- Blue all the way 2021
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - Part 10 2022
- Employees rewarded 1271
- Training in excellence 1272
- Human – elephant conflict rears up again 1271
- Nature in its wild pristine beauty 1272
- A touch of Yalpanam 1271
- Blood facts 1271