Dubai announces passenger drone plans
A drone that can carry people will begin "regular operations" in Dubai from July, the head of the city's Roads and Transportation Agency has announced at the World Government Summit.
The Chinese model eHang 184 has already had test flights, said Matt al-Tayer.
The drone can carry one passenger weighing up to 100 kg (220 pounds) and has a 30 minute flight time.
The passenger uses a touch screen to select a destination. There are no other controls inside the craft.
It is "auto-piloted" by a command centre, according to a video released by the government agency.
It has reported speeds of up to 100 miles per hour (160 kilometres per hour) and can fly 31 miles (50km) on a single battery charge.
"This is not only a model," Mr al-Tayer, according to a report by the Associated Press.
"We have actually experimented with this vehicle flying in Dubai's skies."
The device was also approved for testing in Nevada in June 2016.
Dr Steve Wright, senior lecturer in avionics and aircraft systems at the University of the West of England, told the BBC that safety would have to be paramount.
"The way these systems work, making them work normally is easy. The tricky bit is making systems that are resilient to failure," he said.
"I would like to see the drone flying for at least 1000 hours before I saw a human in it."
Dr Wright added that he would not be volunteering for an early flight.
"I'd have to be taken on board kicking and screaming."
Last month Israeli firm Urban Aeronautics announced that its Cormorant passenger drone - designed for military use - could be in use by 2020.
The $14m (£11m) drone can carry 500kg (1,100lb) at 185km/h (115mph).
- Army Major, 2 soldiers remanded 2250
- Foreign investors withdrew Rs 100B 2560
- Govt. extends deadline for more competition – Kabir 2618
- China mulls maritime regulation 2248
- Vasu challenges Govt 3311
- New laws to punish offenders 3378
- Wimal seeks permission 3330
- JO women plan protest 3287
- COPE to grill five more 3290
- Prez orders Rs 10,000 per family 3265
- Delimitation report still problematic – JVP 3308
- JO to meet at MR’s residence 3303
- JO vows to block ratification 3275
- Prez to lead SLFP polls campaign 3282
- Contaminated milk dumped into reservoir 3270
- FR case against PM dismissed 3490
- Gota grilled over gold statue 3300
- Rs 25,000 fine for dumping dogs 3276
- Prez will intervene in SAITM issue – Dilan 3265
- Lankan fishing boat found abandoned in Indian waters 3262
- SAITM issue a major social concern says NIC 3259
- Arrest warrant out for MFAC convener 3260
- Suggestion runs into opposition 3249
- ER at its lowest ever level 3252
- Woman arrested with heroin worth Rs 1.3M 3250
- Workshops and Balkans again 3390
- Protests in ‘Chaos’ Signs of life 3401
- Whither higher education in Sri Lanka? 3394
- Let children collect funds for school development 3374
- The ‘Uncle’ syndrome 3384
- How Prabhakaran killed his opponents 4285
- Soldiers fight Sailors for semi-spot 1272
- Malinga charts course to Champions Trophy 1273
- Sumanasinghe passes 1,000 runs mark 1270
- Sri Lanka and Pakistan set to qualify for WC 1273
- Havies march on to semis 1269
- Trinity awards cricket and rugby players 1272
- Rice at a price 1313
- Step in the right direction 1237
- Decriminalize homosexuality 1236
- Ruffling judicial feathers 1230
- SAITM still tossed on a stormy sea 1423
- Where are we headed? 1229
- I believe in cooperative politics – Karuna 1821
- I like to talk to diehard Sinhala chauvinists – Wigneswaran 1897
- Justices should be subject to judicial audits 3702
- Traders have imported rice under local branding– Duminda Dissanayake 3591
- CTSU to protest SAITM ruling-on the streets 3823
- ‘Unity Government’ A golden opportunity... 3386
- New Laws for Port City – Malik Samarawickrama 2227
- I did not give vehicles to Wimal’s relatives– Prof. Ashu Marasinghe 3133
- We will continue our struggle against SAITM – Tilvin Silva 3368
- President is a prisoner of his own Govt– Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena 2922
- GoSL’s interest cost comes down by Rs 1.3B 58
- The Club HNB opens its doors to their esteemed Clients 1264
- LOLC Group clinches NBE Award 2016 1259
- LankaClear bags Silver at NBE Awards 1262
- A brief description of the National Business Excellency awards 1262
- Pan Asia Bank shines at National Business Excellence Awards with two coveted awards 1261
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 2987
- Fully fledged Media Commission by June – DGI 3028
- Way for True Conciliation! 4194
- Malayalam film - “Orazhcha” (A week) 2328
- Sri Lanka’s Finest Talent – but Who Cares? 2330
- The mesmerizing mystery of Mozart’s music – Mass in C major KV317 (Coronation) 2330
- A Showstopping Performance 2387
- House for Rent 2326
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - part 9 2315
- Junsu 1123
- The fate of our woods 1124
- Celebrate ‘A month of love’ 1124
- Five new branch openings 1124
- THINC Sri Lanka Networking Conference 2017 1134
- ‘Our Shop’ for staff welfare 1124