Robert Harward turns down Trump's national security adviser offer
US President Donald Trump's choice for National Security Adviser has turned down the job offer.
Retired Vice-Admiral Robert Harward was widely tipped for the post after Mr Trump fired Michael Flynn on Monday.
A White House official said Mr Harward cited family and financial commitments, but US media said the sticking point was he wanted to bring in his own team.
Mr Flynn had misled US Vice-President Mike Pence over his conversations with Russia's ambassador to the US.
The latest setback emerged hours after Mr Trump robustly denied media reports of White House disarray, insisting his administration was running like a "fine-tuned machine".
Mr Harward told the Associated Press the Trump administration was "very accommodating to my needs, both professionally and personally".
"It's purely a personal issue," added the 60-year-old former Navy Seal who is currently based in Abu Dhabi as an executive for US defence contractor Lockheed Martin.
Asked about reports that he had asked to bring in his own staff at the National Security Council, Mr Harward said: "I think that's for the president to address."
Mr Flynn, a retired army lieutenant-general, was ousted amid claims that before he was even appointed as national security adviser he had discussed sanctions with a Russian envoy.
This would have potentially breached a law banning private citizens from engaging in diplomacy.
Mr Flynn initially denied having discussed sanctions with Sergei Kislyak, Moscow's ambassador to Washington.
But on Monday, Mr Trump asked for his resignation following revelations that Mr Flynn had misled the vice-president about his conversations with the diplomat.
Leading Republicans have called for an investigation into intelligence leaks that led to Mr Flynn's resignation.
- Peace Air goes to HRC, SC next week 2487
- Rajapakshe damns Int’l Community 2480
- ‘Drum and Dance’ with Kandy GHS OGA 2465
- 77th National Day of Pakistan in Sri Lanka 2467
- Right royal gesture 2468
- Rare discovery in Tissamaharama 2477
- SLFP MP laments crossovers 2638
- Held with electronic cigarette 2486
- More Luxury Cars for Ministers 2505
- MR wishes Ranil ‘Happy B’Day’ 2481
- New domestic airline 2471
- Medvedev- Sirisena have broad talks 2466
- Helicopter maintenance centre in SL 2470
- 3 soldiers arrested, brigadier probed 2475
- MPs warned against misconduct 2467
- BASL inducts new President today 2461
- Mubarak freed 2461
- Human Rights at heart of EU Policy – Margue 2463
- Six Forest reserves made one 2465
- NZ High Commission in Sri Lanka 2461
- Govt must honour UN resolution – TNA 2461
- CB move, a monetary strategy 2462
- Lanka thanks countries for support at UNHRC 2462
- Wimal stays hungry 4262
- Pakistan-Sri Lanka relationship stands firm – HC Hussain 4189
- Protests, fisticuffs and fast unto death 2501
- Are tourism authorities wearing blinkers? 2494
- A time of gifts 2475
- Nationalists and globalists 2468
- Rationalists vs charlatans Never-ending battle 2468
- Right of access to legal assistance 2468
- Hamilton bosses season's first practice 2469
- Brazil thrash Uruguay 2463
- Federer, Nishikori missing from Monte Carlo line-up 2467
- Messi fires Argentina over Chile 2466
- Tough skipper says South Africa 'not good enough' 2466
- Mahanama takes honours on first day 2473
- COMPOUNDED MISERY 3545
- Forefathers of Tamils of SL were original inhabitants of this Country 3604
- Jaffna Prepares for Chronic Kidney Disease 3387
- A Blueprint for Disintegration 3389
- Refugee returnee safety still in doubt? 3348
- Tamils lived in N/E before Buddhistic era – Wigneswaran 3577
- We await President’s response – Gemunu 3211
- LTTE atrocities also have to be investigated 3775
- Exporters to EU must be educated on Brexit – GM ECCSL Srinath 3279
- Speaker refused our request 3277
- Dinesh only UPFA’s Deputy Leader 3277
- Voters must exercise caution when electing MPs – Harshana Rajakaruna 2568
- Forced family planning is happening countywide – Galagoda Aththe Gnanasara Thera 3886
- ITAK’s arbitrary actions cause conflict in TNA – Sivasakthy Ananthan 3549
- NCSL for Sustainable Development 5215
- Major endorsement of govt’s reconciliation efforts 4708
- Tomorrow’s cities: Are your shoes giving away data? 2468
- Trouble on the ranch Threats to trade deals worry US cattle farmers 2467
- What creativity in marketing looks like today 2468
- Hameedia launches ‘Andum Mesaya’ to celebrate Avurudu 2468
- Bankers are no longer the enemy 2472
- Reform immigration laws to attract more FDI 3273
- The crisis in Parliament: Twilight of a functioning democracy 3480
- Mispriced Risk of Infectious Diseases 2419
- Limelight on Sri Lanka again 2423
- Musicalized Version of Nostalgia 5440
- The Many Faces of Galle 6300
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - Part 13 5462
- Fiesta for Theatre lovers 5916
- Viramaya 2017 – Phenomenal success 5447
- Sri Lankan movie at Geneva film festival 5501
- To be or not to be 1312
- Kids get cooking 1311
- Mindfulness for successful living 1328
- The age of nastiness 1312
- 20 years of singing celebrated 1308
- How do we prevent rape and abuse? 1313