Robert Harward turns down Trump's national security adviser offer
US President Donald Trump's choice for National Security Adviser has turned down the job offer.
Retired Vice-Admiral Robert Harward was widely tipped for the post after Mr Trump fired Michael Flynn on Monday.
A White House official said Mr Harward cited family and financial commitments, but US media said the sticking point was he wanted to bring in his own team.
Mr Flynn had misled US Vice-President Mike Pence over his conversations with Russia's ambassador to the US.
The latest setback emerged hours after Mr Trump robustly denied media reports of White House disarray, insisting his administration was running like a "fine-tuned machine".
Mr Harward told the Associated Press the Trump administration was "very accommodating to my needs, both professionally and personally".
"It's purely a personal issue," added the 60-year-old former Navy Seal who is currently based in Abu Dhabi as an executive for US defence contractor Lockheed Martin.
Asked about reports that he had asked to bring in his own staff at the National Security Council, Mr Harward said: "I think that's for the president to address."
Mr Flynn, a retired army lieutenant-general, was ousted amid claims that before he was even appointed as national security adviser he had discussed sanctions with a Russian envoy.
This would have potentially breached a law banning private citizens from engaging in diplomacy.
Mr Flynn initially denied having discussed sanctions with Sergei Kislyak, Moscow's ambassador to Washington.
But on Monday, Mr Trump asked for his resignation following revelations that Mr Flynn had misled the vice-president about his conversations with the diplomat.
Leading Republicans have called for an investigation into intelligence leaks that led to Mr Flynn's resignation.
Weather today 992
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2429
- Wag the Dog 2394
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2350
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2374
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2406
- dead man was near fashion mall 2415
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2391
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2385
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2399
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2404
- Government can be sent home 2953
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2410
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2359
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2375
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2379
- May Day Rally …or the Boot ! 2316
- Auspicious Times presented to President 2275
- Johnston sacked SLFP reshuffles K’gala 3129
- Singapore in the crossfire 3174
- Park impeachment and SK foreign policy 3133
- Red pilled about Trump 3112
- Need for Media house in Ampara stressed 3068
- Ragging: SEUSL suspends 28 undergrads 3143
- Violation of Visa conditions Russian arrested 3054
- More rice from Pakistan 3065
- Redefining Rape 2677
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 2011
- First adventures in Europe 2104
- Inspiration for writers 2096
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2674
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2285
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 2023
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 2073
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 2030
- CEAT revs up for 2017 2060
- Palace shock Arsenal 2011
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 2022
- Keeping Cool 2018
- Do the right thing and do it now! 2032
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2615
- In the heart of the old country 2440
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2273
- No moral right to play with public funds 2225
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2364
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1628
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2796
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2155
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2608
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3216
- These people are Sri Lankans. They are not ‘Kallathonis’ Mujibur Rahman 4553
- Gazette minimum standards for Medical Education 4828
- A FOLLY COMPOUNDED! – Dr. Palitha Kohona 3695
- the timing is not right – Thol.Thirumavalavan 3372
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 2096
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 2044
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 2031
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 2037
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 2037
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 2009
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 2069
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 2047
- Economics of gambling 1977
- Trans National Aural Identity 3598
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3682
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3674
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3747
- From Couture to Kutir 3664
- Hybrid Sources 5046
- With a festive bang! 1260
- Easter Fun 1258
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1299
- Avurudu on the streets 1311
- Tick control 1345
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1270