Robert Harward turns down Trump's national security adviser offer
US President Donald Trump's choice for National Security Adviser has turned down the job offer.
Retired Vice-Admiral Robert Harward was widely tipped for the post after Mr Trump fired Michael Flynn on Monday.
A White House official said Mr Harward cited family and financial commitments, but US media said the sticking point was he wanted to bring in his own team.
Mr Flynn had misled US Vice-President Mike Pence over his conversations with Russia's ambassador to the US.
The latest setback emerged hours after Mr Trump robustly denied media reports of White House disarray, insisting his administration was running like a "fine-tuned machine".
Mr Harward told the Associated Press the Trump administration was "very accommodating to my needs, both professionally and personally".
"It's purely a personal issue," added the 60-year-old former Navy Seal who is currently based in Abu Dhabi as an executive for US defence contractor Lockheed Martin.
Asked about reports that he had asked to bring in his own staff at the National Security Council, Mr Harward said: "I think that's for the president to address."
Mr Flynn, a retired army lieutenant-general, was ousted amid claims that before he was even appointed as national security adviser he had discussed sanctions with a Russian envoy.
This would have potentially breached a law banning private citizens from engaging in diplomacy.
Mr Flynn initially denied having discussed sanctions with Sergei Kislyak, Moscow's ambassador to Washington.
But on Monday, Mr Trump asked for his resignation following revelations that Mr Flynn had misled the vice-president about his conversations with the diplomat.
Leading Republicans have called for an investigation into intelligence leaks that led to Mr Flynn's resignation.
Weather today 930
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2307
- Wag the Dog 2302
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2249
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2272
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2288
- dead man was near fashion mall 2319
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2283
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2291
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2298
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2292
- Government can be sent home 2828
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2299
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2270
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2284
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2281
- May Day Rally …or the Boot ! 2226
- Auspicious Times presented to President 2207
- Johnston sacked SLFP reshuffles K’gala 3039
- Singapore in the crossfire 3102
- Park impeachment and SK foreign policy 3057
- Red pilled about Trump 3053
- Need for Media house in Ampara stressed 3008
- Ragging: SEUSL suspends 28 undergrads 3026
- Violation of Visa conditions Russian arrested 3005
- More rice from Pakistan 3005
- Redefining Rape 2455
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1928
- First adventures in Europe 2013
- Inspiration for writers 1985
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2328
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2184
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1919
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1966
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1942
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1930
- Palace shock Arsenal 1904
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1928
- Keeping Cool 1914
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1926
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2515
- In the heart of the old country 2340
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2167
- No moral right to play with public funds 2101
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2263
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1518
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2670
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2045
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2458
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3123
- These people are Sri Lankans. They are not ‘Kallathonis’ Mujibur Rahman 4449
- Gazette minimum standards for Medical Education 4716
- A FOLLY COMPOUNDED! – Dr. Palitha Kohona 3617
- the timing is not right – Thol.Thirumavalavan 3297
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1978
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1952
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1941
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1933
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1945
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1902
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1967
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1934
- Economics of gambling 1840
- Trans National Aural Identity 3503
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3561
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3561
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3651
- From Couture to Kutir 3546
- Hybrid Sources 4936
- With a festive bang! 1159
- Easter Fun 1153
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1199
- Avurudu on the streets 1207
- Tick control 1184
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1165