Robert Harward turns down Trump's national security adviser offer
US President Donald Trump's choice for National Security Adviser has turned down the job offer.
Retired Vice-Admiral Robert Harward was widely tipped for the post after Mr Trump fired Michael Flynn on Monday.
A White House official said Mr Harward cited family and financial commitments, but US media said the sticking point was he wanted to bring in his own team.
Mr Flynn had misled US Vice-President Mike Pence over his conversations with Russia's ambassador to the US.
The latest setback emerged hours after Mr Trump robustly denied media reports of White House disarray, insisting his administration was running like a "fine-tuned machine".
Mr Harward told the Associated Press the Trump administration was "very accommodating to my needs, both professionally and personally".
"It's purely a personal issue," added the 60-year-old former Navy Seal who is currently based in Abu Dhabi as an executive for US defence contractor Lockheed Martin.
Asked about reports that he had asked to bring in his own staff at the National Security Council, Mr Harward said: "I think that's for the president to address."
Mr Flynn, a retired army lieutenant-general, was ousted amid claims that before he was even appointed as national security adviser he had discussed sanctions with a Russian envoy.
This would have potentially breached a law banning private citizens from engaging in diplomacy.
Mr Flynn initially denied having discussed sanctions with Sergei Kislyak, Moscow's ambassador to Washington.
But on Monday, Mr Trump asked for his resignation following revelations that Mr Flynn had misled the vice-president about his conversations with the diplomat.
Leading Republicans have called for an investigation into intelligence leaks that led to Mr Flynn's resignation.
Weather today 870
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2183
- Wag the Dog 2195
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2145
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2167
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2170
- dead man was near fashion mall 2213
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2175
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2186
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2178
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2191
- Government can be sent home 2726
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2191
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2164
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2178
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2176
- May Day Rally …or the Boot ! 2144
- Auspicious Times presented to President 2130
- Johnston sacked SLFP reshuffles K’gala 2953
- Singapore in the crossfire 3026
- Park impeachment and SK foreign policy 2974
- Red pilled about Trump 2995
- Need for Media house in Ampara stressed 2952
- Ragging: SEUSL suspends 28 undergrads 2959
- Violation of Visa conditions Russian arrested 2955
- More rice from Pakistan 2958
- Redefining Rape 2278
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1818
- First adventures in Europe 1902
- Inspiration for writers 1882
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2031
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2061
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1814
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1860
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1830
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1817
- Palace shock Arsenal 1807
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1818
- Keeping Cool 1811
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1821
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2403
- In the heart of the old country 2235
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2056
- No moral right to play with public funds 1976
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2158
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1417
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2535
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 1929
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2316
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3027
- These people are Sri Lankans. They are not ‘Kallathonis’ Mujibur Rahman 4361
- Gazette minimum standards for Medical Education 4603
- A FOLLY COMPOUNDED! – Dr. Palitha Kohona 3526
- the timing is not right – Thol.Thirumavalavan 3211
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1865
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1809
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1830
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1808
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1837
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1799
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1857
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1825
- Economics of gambling 1705
- Trans National Aural Identity 3392
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3418
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3433
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3544
- From Couture to Kutir 3427
- Hybrid Sources 4829
- With a festive bang! 1047
- Easter Fun 1036
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1069
- Avurudu on the streets 1084
- Tick control 1061
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1055