North Korea 'conducts high-thrust engine test'
North Korea's state media says its military has tested a new high-performance rocket engine.
Leader Kim Jong Un declared the test "a new birth" for the North's rocket industry, state news agency KCNA said.
He said the engine would help North Korea achieve world-class satellite launch capability, it added.
The development, not confirmed elsewhere, comes as US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson visits China - Pyongyang's main ally.
After personally overseeing the test, Mr Kim "emphasized that the world will soon witness the great significance of the epoch-making victory we achieved today", KCNA reported, adding that it marked the birth of the country's rocket industry.
Mr Tillerson's East Asian tour has been dominated by anxieties over North Korea's nuclear capabilities.
In South Korea on Friday, he said a US military response would be on the table if North Korea threatened South Korea or US forces.
The US and China pledged to work together to get the North to take "a different course" and move away from its weapons programmes after Mr Tillerson met his Chinese counterpart on Saturday.
North Korea has conducted five nuclear tests and a series of missile launches. Experts and government officials believe it is working to develop nuclear-warhead missiles that can reach the US.
Kim Jong Un has said the country is close to a test-launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile.
Weather today 921
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2290
- Wag the Dog 2285
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2232
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2256
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2260
- dead man was near fashion mall 2298
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2262
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2271
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2281
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2271
- Government can be sent home 2812
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2280
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2249
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2265
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2259
- May Day Rally …or the Boot ! 2217
- Auspicious Times presented to President 2196
- Johnston sacked SLFP reshuffles K’gala 3028
- Singapore in the crossfire 3093
- Park impeachment and SK foreign policy 3045
- Red pilled about Trump 3045
- Need for Media house in Ampara stressed 3000
- Ragging: SEUSL suspends 28 undergrads 3016
- Violation of Visa conditions Russian arrested 3000
- More rice from Pakistan 2998
- Redefining Rape 2428
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1909
- First adventures in Europe 1998
- Inspiration for writers 1966
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2282
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2165
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1902
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1951
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1922
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1915
- Palace shock Arsenal 1890
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1911
- Keeping Cool 1898
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1903
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2500
- In the heart of the old country 2323
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2150
- No moral right to play with public funds 2082
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2245
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1502
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2648
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2026
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2434
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3103
- These people are Sri Lankans. They are not ‘Kallathonis’ Mujibur Rahman 4433
- Gazette minimum standards for Medical Education 4701
- A FOLLY COMPOUNDED! – Dr. Palitha Kohona 3603
- the timing is not right – Thol.Thirumavalavan 3285
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1962
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1933
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1923
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1914
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1924
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1885
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1950
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1915
- Economics of gambling 1820
- Trans National Aural Identity 3479
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3538
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3538
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3631
- From Couture to Kutir 3527
- Hybrid Sources 4917
- With a festive bang! 1139
- Easter Fun 1129
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1175
- Avurudu on the streets 1187
- Tick control 1166
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1146