Trump 'looks forward to visiting China' - Tillerson
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has told China's President Xi Jinping that President Donald Trump looks forward to visiting his country, and to enhancing understanding between the states.
Mr Tillerson met the Chinese leader in Beijing's Great Hall of the People, as his East Asian tour comes to an end.
Mr Xi said he was glad to see good progress from Mr Tillerson's meetings.
"You said that China-US relations can only be friendly. I express my appreciation for this," he said.
Mr Xi added that he had spoken to the US president several times.
"We are both expecting a new era for constructive development," he said.
Mr Tillerson said Mr Trump places a "very high value on the communications that have already occurred".
There was no mention of contentious issues like North Korea's missile and nuclear programmes, or the status of Taiwan, which China claims as its own.
The meeting came as North Korea's military tested a new high-thrust engine, according to reports from Pyongyang's state news agency.
Washington wants China, the North's main trading partner, to use its influence to curb the weapons programmes.
President Trump tweeted his frustrations on Friday, writing: "North Korea is behaving very badly. They have been "playing" the United States for years. China has done little to help!"
Negotiations are under way for a potential first summit meeting between Mr Xi and Mr Trump next month in the US.
Mr Trump has been a vocal critic of China in many areas - including its exchange rate policy and its operations in the South China Sea.
However, he soothed ruffled feathers to some degree in February by agreeing to honour the so-called "One China" policy, which states that there is only one Chinese government.
The leaders'US encounter could now hold the key to future power-plays between the world's two largest economies.
Weather today 995
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2435
- Wag the Dog 2397
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2354
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2376
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2408
- dead man was near fashion mall 2416
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2393
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2389
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2401
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2407
- Government can be sent home 2955
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2412
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2361
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2377
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2383
- May Day Rally …or the Boot ! 2320
- Auspicious Times presented to President 2277
- Johnston sacked SLFP reshuffles K’gala 3131
- Singapore in the crossfire 3176
- Park impeachment and SK foreign policy 3136
- Red pilled about Trump 3113
- Need for Media house in Ampara stressed 3071
- Ragging: SEUSL suspends 28 undergrads 3148
- Violation of Visa conditions Russian arrested 3055
- More rice from Pakistan 3068
- Redefining Rape 2680
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 2013
- First adventures in Europe 2111
- Inspiration for writers 2100
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2686
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2290
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 2025
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 2079
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 2033
- CEAT revs up for 2017 2062
- Palace shock Arsenal 2016
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 2026
- Keeping Cool 2021
- Do the right thing and do it now! 2035
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2618
- In the heart of the old country 2441
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2279
- No moral right to play with public funds 2229
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2367
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1634
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2799
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2159
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2614
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3219
- These people are Sri Lankans. They are not ‘Kallathonis’ Mujibur Rahman 4555
- Gazette minimum standards for Medical Education 4832
- A FOLLY COMPOUNDED! – Dr. Palitha Kohona 3698
- the timing is not right – Thol.Thirumavalavan 3374
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 2097
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 2047
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 2031
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 2042
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 2041
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 2012
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 2075
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 2052
- Economics of gambling 1981
- Trans National Aural Identity 3602
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3689
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3677
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3752
- From Couture to Kutir 3671
- Hybrid Sources 5049
- With a festive bang! 1265
- Easter Fun 1262
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1302
- Avurudu on the streets 1314
- Tick control 1351
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1273