Trump 'looks forward to visiting China' - Tillerson
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has told China's President Xi Jinping that President Donald Trump looks forward to visiting his country, and to enhancing understanding between the states.
Mr Tillerson met the Chinese leader in Beijing's Great Hall of the People, as his East Asian tour comes to an end.
Mr Xi said he was glad to see good progress from Mr Tillerson's meetings.
"You said that China-US relations can only be friendly. I express my appreciation for this," he said.
Mr Xi added that he had spoken to the US president several times.
"We are both expecting a new era for constructive development," he said.
Mr Tillerson said Mr Trump places a "very high value on the communications that have already occurred".
There was no mention of contentious issues like North Korea's missile and nuclear programmes, or the status of Taiwan, which China claims as its own.
The meeting came as North Korea's military tested a new high-thrust engine, according to reports from Pyongyang's state news agency.
Washington wants China, the North's main trading partner, to use its influence to curb the weapons programmes.
President Trump tweeted his frustrations on Friday, writing: "North Korea is behaving very badly. They have been "playing" the United States for years. China has done little to help!"
Negotiations are under way for a potential first summit meeting between Mr Xi and Mr Trump next month in the US.
Mr Trump has been a vocal critic of China in many areas - including its exchange rate policy and its operations in the South China Sea.
However, he soothed ruffled feathers to some degree in February by agreeing to honour the so-called "One China" policy, which states that there is only one Chinese government.
The leaders'US encounter could now hold the key to future power-plays between the world's two largest economies.
Weather today 921
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2290
- Wag the Dog 2285
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2232
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2256
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2260
- dead man was near fashion mall 2298
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2262
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2271
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2281
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2271
- Government can be sent home 2812
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2280
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2249
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2265
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2259
- May Day Rally …or the Boot ! 2217
- Auspicious Times presented to President 2196
- Johnston sacked SLFP reshuffles K’gala 3028
- Singapore in the crossfire 3093
- Park impeachment and SK foreign policy 3045
- Red pilled about Trump 3045
- Need for Media house in Ampara stressed 3000
- Ragging: SEUSL suspends 28 undergrads 3016
- Violation of Visa conditions Russian arrested 3000
- More rice from Pakistan 2998
- Redefining Rape 2428
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1909
- First adventures in Europe 1997
- Inspiration for writers 1966
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2282
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2165
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1902
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1951
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1922
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1915
- Palace shock Arsenal 1890
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1911
- Keeping Cool 1898
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1903
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2500
- In the heart of the old country 2323
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2150
- No moral right to play with public funds 2081
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2245
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1502
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2648
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2026
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2434
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3103
- These people are Sri Lankans. They are not ‘Kallathonis’ Mujibur Rahman 4433
- Gazette minimum standards for Medical Education 4701
- A FOLLY COMPOUNDED! – Dr. Palitha Kohona 3603
- the timing is not right – Thol.Thirumavalavan 3285
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1962
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1933
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1923
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1914
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1923
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1885
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1950
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1915
- Economics of gambling 1820
- Trans National Aural Identity 3479
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3538
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3538
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3631
- From Couture to Kutir 3527
- Hybrid Sources 4917
- With a festive bang! 1139
- Easter Fun 1129
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1175
- Avurudu on the streets 1187
- Tick control 1166
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1146