IAAF clears seven more Russians to compete
(AFP) World champions Sergey Shubenkov and Maria Kuchina are among seven more Russian athletes cleared to compete as neutrals, while the Russian team is banned for doping, the IAAF said on Tuesday.
It takes the tally of Russians granted permission by athletics' governing body to compete to 12 and was greeted with cautious optimism in Russia, with high-jump star Kuchina saying she was relishing returning to elite-level action.
"I wish to thank the Doping Review Board for their continued dedication and diligence in assessing these applications," said IAAF President Sebastian Coe, clearing the seven to take part in international competition, including the world championships in London in August.
The other Russians deemed to be drug-free were: Illia Mudrov (pole vault); Sergey Shirobokov (race walks); Daniil Tsyplakov (high jump); Olga Mullina (pole vault); and Yana Smerdova (race walks). The Doping Review Board of the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) 'unanimously accepted' their applications, the IAAF said in a statement, as it attempts to clean up the sport.
Russia's athletics team was barred wholesale from the Rio Olympics last summer because of widespread doping that the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) says was state-sponsored.
Moscow has repeatedly denied allegations it was involved, but WADA has said the cheating extended to multiple Olympic sports from the Summer and Winter Games over several years.
The reigning 2015 world champion Kuchina told R-Sport agency: "Of course the main event is the world championships and I need to prepare for it.
"I have enough power and emotions and will just start working. I'm happy to compete together with the world's strongest high jumpers. Happy there finally will be a tough competition."
In February the IAAF extended the ban on Russia's track and field team to the prestigious world championships this summer -- Russia has been barred from international competition since November 2015.
Reigning 110m hurdles world champion Shubenkov was damning then of the IAAF's prolonged ban on the Russian team.
The drug-tainted RusAF, the Russian Athletics Federation, said dozens more of its athletes were hoping to make it to the London showpiece.
"It's a good sign that the IAAF has issued a decision that we have all been waiting a long time for," Maria Trushchenkova, a RusAF top official, told AFP on Tuesday.
"But around 70 Russian athletes are still waiting for IAAF permission to compete as neutrals -- and we receive new bids almost every day."
Three other Russian athletes were given the green light to compete as neutrals by the IAAF earlier this year and two last year.
They too all met the IAAF's "exceptional eligibility criteria", but the IAAF cautioned that they still needed to be accepted by the individual competitions.
Coe, who previously said that the Russian team could not be reintegrated into the sport before November, added: "There can be no time constraints on a process which has been established to safeguard the rights and aspirations of the world's clean athletes and is about rebuilding confidence in competition.
"For the avoidance of any doubt -- as we have consistently stated from the beginning of this process -- all athletes given exceptional eligibility will compete as independent neutral athletes and not as a Russian team."
Weather today 831
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2114
- Wag the Dog 2136
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2079
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2092
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2106
- dead man was near fashion mall 2135
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2104
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2113
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2105
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2117
- Government can be sent home 2649
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2115
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2099
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2103
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2107
- May Day Rally …or the Boot ! 2073
- Auspicious Times presented to President 2076
- Johnston sacked SLFP reshuffles K’gala 2903
- Singapore in the crossfire 2977
- Park impeachment and SK foreign policy 2930
- Red pilled about Trump 2944
- Need for Media house in Ampara stressed 2911
- Ragging: SEUSL suspends 28 undergrads 2921
- Violation of Visa conditions Russian arrested 2912
- More rice from Pakistan 2919
- Redefining Rape 2146
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1739
- First adventures in Europe 1825
- Inspiration for writers 1822
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 1896
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 1968
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1740
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1776
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1760
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1744
- Palace shock Arsenal 1734
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1749
- Keeping Cool 1746
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1746
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2326
- In the heart of the old country 2165
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 1965
- No moral right to play with public funds 1901
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2088
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1342
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2443
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 1861
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2159
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 2957
- These people are Sri Lankans. They are not ‘Kallathonis’ Mujibur Rahman 4290
- Gazette minimum standards for Medical Education 4515
- A FOLLY COMPOUNDED! – Dr. Palitha Kohona 3473
- the timing is not right – Thol.Thirumavalavan 3152
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1779
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1740
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1764
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1739
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1764
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1735
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1783
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1751
- Economics of gambling 1622
- Trans National Aural Identity 3316
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3341
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3364
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3468
- From Couture to Kutir 3341
- Hybrid Sources 4740
- With a festive bang! 969
- Easter Fun 964
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 983
- Avurudu on the streets 1004
- Tick control 976
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 983