IAAF clears seven more Russians to compete
(AFP) World champions Sergey Shubenkov and Maria Kuchina are among seven more Russian athletes cleared to compete as neutrals, while the Russian team is banned for doping, the IAAF said on Tuesday.
It takes the tally of Russians granted permission by athletics' governing body to compete to 12 and was greeted with cautious optimism in Russia, with high-jump star Kuchina saying she was relishing returning to elite-level action.
"I wish to thank the Doping Review Board for their continued dedication and diligence in assessing these applications," said IAAF President Sebastian Coe, clearing the seven to take part in international competition, including the world championships in London in August.
The other Russians deemed to be drug-free were: Illia Mudrov (pole vault); Sergey Shirobokov (race walks); Daniil Tsyplakov (high jump); Olga Mullina (pole vault); and Yana Smerdova (race walks). The Doping Review Board of the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) 'unanimously accepted' their applications, the IAAF said in a statement, as it attempts to clean up the sport.
Russia's athletics team was barred wholesale from the Rio Olympics last summer because of widespread doping that the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) says was state-sponsored.
Moscow has repeatedly denied allegations it was involved, but WADA has said the cheating extended to multiple Olympic sports from the Summer and Winter Games over several years.
The reigning 2015 world champion Kuchina told R-Sport agency: "Of course the main event is the world championships and I need to prepare for it.
"I have enough power and emotions and will just start working. I'm happy to compete together with the world's strongest high jumpers. Happy there finally will be a tough competition."
In February the IAAF extended the ban on Russia's track and field team to the prestigious world championships this summer -- Russia has been barred from international competition since November 2015.
Reigning 110m hurdles world champion Shubenkov was damning then of the IAAF's prolonged ban on the Russian team.
The drug-tainted RusAF, the Russian Athletics Federation, said dozens more of its athletes were hoping to make it to the London showpiece.
"It's a good sign that the IAAF has issued a decision that we have all been waiting a long time for," Maria Trushchenkova, a RusAF top official, told AFP on Tuesday.
"But around 70 Russian athletes are still waiting for IAAF permission to compete as neutrals -- and we receive new bids almost every day."
Three other Russian athletes were given the green light to compete as neutrals by the IAAF earlier this year and two last year.
They too all met the IAAF's "exceptional eligibility criteria", but the IAAF cautioned that they still needed to be accepted by the individual competitions.
Coe, who previously said that the Russian team could not be reintegrated into the sport before November, added: "There can be no time constraints on a process which has been established to safeguard the rights and aspirations of the world's clean athletes and is about rebuilding confidence in competition.
"For the avoidance of any doubt -- as we have consistently stated from the beginning of this process -- all athletes given exceptional eligibility will compete as independent neutral athletes and not as a Russian team."
Weather today 994
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2432
- Wag the Dog 2394
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2352
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2376
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2408
- dead man was near fashion mall 2415
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2392
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2387
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2401
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2405
- Government can be sent home 2954
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2411
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2361
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2377
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2381
- May Day Rally …or the Boot ! 2318
- Auspicious Times presented to President 2276
- Johnston sacked SLFP reshuffles K’gala 3129
- Singapore in the crossfire 3175
- Park impeachment and SK foreign policy 3133
- Red pilled about Trump 3113
- Need for Media house in Ampara stressed 3070
- Ragging: SEUSL suspends 28 undergrads 3146
- Violation of Visa conditions Russian arrested 3055
- More rice from Pakistan 3065
- Redefining Rape 2679
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 2013
- First adventures in Europe 2107
- Inspiration for writers 2098
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2681
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2288
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 2024
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 2076
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 2031
- CEAT revs up for 2017 2062
- Palace shock Arsenal 2013
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 2026
- Keeping Cool 2020
- Do the right thing and do it now! 2033
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2618
- In the heart of the old country 2441
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2277
- No moral right to play with public funds 2227
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2367
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1631
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2798
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2158
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2610
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3218
- These people are Sri Lankans. They are not ‘Kallathonis’ Mujibur Rahman 4554
- Gazette minimum standards for Medical Education 4830
- A FOLLY COMPOUNDED! – Dr. Palitha Kohona 3696
- the timing is not right – Thol.Thirumavalavan 3373
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 2097
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 2047
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 2031
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 2042
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 2040
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 2012
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 2073
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 2050
- Economics of gambling 1978
- Trans National Aural Identity 3601
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3686
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3675
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3749
- From Couture to Kutir 3667
- Hybrid Sources 5049
- With a festive bang! 1261
- Easter Fun 1260
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1301
- Avurudu on the streets 1312
- Tick control 1349
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1271