IAAF clears seven more Russians to compete
(AFP) World champions Sergey Shubenkov and Maria Kuchina are among seven more Russian athletes cleared to compete as neutrals, while the Russian team is banned for doping, the IAAF said on Tuesday.
It takes the tally of Russians granted permission by athletics' governing body to compete to 12 and was greeted with cautious optimism in Russia, with high-jump star Kuchina saying she was relishing returning to elite-level action.
"I wish to thank the Doping Review Board for their continued dedication and diligence in assessing these applications," said IAAF President Sebastian Coe, clearing the seven to take part in international competition, including the world championships in London in August.
The other Russians deemed to be drug-free were: Illia Mudrov (pole vault); Sergey Shirobokov (race walks); Daniil Tsyplakov (high jump); Olga Mullina (pole vault); and Yana Smerdova (race walks). The Doping Review Board of the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) 'unanimously accepted' their applications, the IAAF said in a statement, as it attempts to clean up the sport.
Russia's athletics team was barred wholesale from the Rio Olympics last summer because of widespread doping that the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) says was state-sponsored.
Moscow has repeatedly denied allegations it was involved, but WADA has said the cheating extended to multiple Olympic sports from the Summer and Winter Games over several years.
The reigning 2015 world champion Kuchina told R-Sport agency: "Of course the main event is the world championships and I need to prepare for it.
"I have enough power and emotions and will just start working. I'm happy to compete together with the world's strongest high jumpers. Happy there finally will be a tough competition."
In February the IAAF extended the ban on Russia's track and field team to the prestigious world championships this summer -- Russia has been barred from international competition since November 2015.
Reigning 110m hurdles world champion Shubenkov was damning then of the IAAF's prolonged ban on the Russian team.
The drug-tainted RusAF, the Russian Athletics Federation, said dozens more of its athletes were hoping to make it to the London showpiece.
"It's a good sign that the IAAF has issued a decision that we have all been waiting a long time for," Maria Trushchenkova, a RusAF top official, told AFP on Tuesday.
"But around 70 Russian athletes are still waiting for IAAF permission to compete as neutrals -- and we receive new bids almost every day."
Three other Russian athletes were given the green light to compete as neutrals by the IAAF earlier this year and two last year.
They too all met the IAAF's "exceptional eligibility criteria", but the IAAF cautioned that they still needed to be accepted by the individual competitions.
Coe, who previously said that the Russian team could not be reintegrated into the sport before November, added: "There can be no time constraints on a process which has been established to safeguard the rights and aspirations of the world's clean athletes and is about rebuilding confidence in competition.
"For the avoidance of any doubt -- as we have consistently stated from the beginning of this process -- all athletes given exceptional eligibility will compete as independent neutral athletes and not as a Russian team."
Weather today 924
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2295
- Wag the Dog 2292
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2238
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2262
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2269
- dead man was near fashion mall 2304
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2267
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2277
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2289
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2280
- Government can be sent home 2818
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2288
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2257
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2271
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2267
- May Day Rally …or the Boot ! 2221
- Auspicious Times presented to President 2199
- Johnston sacked SLFP reshuffles K’gala 3031
- Singapore in the crossfire 3097
- Park impeachment and SK foreign policy 3048
- Red pilled about Trump 3050
- Need for Media house in Ampara stressed 3004
- Ragging: SEUSL suspends 28 undergrads 3021
- Violation of Visa conditions Russian arrested 3000
- More rice from Pakistan 3002
- Redefining Rape 2433
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1915
- First adventures in Europe 2002
- Inspiration for writers 1972
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2301
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2172
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1908
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1957
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1932
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1922
- Palace shock Arsenal 1895
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1919
- Keeping Cool 1904
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1912
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2504
- In the heart of the old country 2329
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2155
- No moral right to play with public funds 2087
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2251
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1509
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2654
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2032
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2443
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3110
- These people are Sri Lankans. They are not ‘Kallathonis’ Mujibur Rahman 4441
- Gazette minimum standards for Medical Education 4706
- A FOLLY COMPOUNDED! – Dr. Palitha Kohona 3607
- the timing is not right – Thol.Thirumavalavan 3289
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1967
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1941
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1930
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1922
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1932
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1893
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1955
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1921
- Economics of gambling 1829
- Trans National Aural Identity 3486
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3543
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3543
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3634
- From Couture to Kutir 3532
- Hybrid Sources 4925
- With a festive bang! 1144
- Easter Fun 1134
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1183
- Avurudu on the streets 1191
- Tick control 1172
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1152