United Airlines CEO sorry for 'horrific' passenger removal
The CEO of United Airlines has apologised for the "truly horrific" incident in which a passenger was forcibly dragged, screaming, from a flight.
Oscar Munoz said he "continues to be disturbed" by the incident, captured on a video that went viral on Twitter.
He said the company would "fix what's broken so it never happens again".
The family of the passenger, David Dao, issued a statement expressing gratitude for the "outpouring of support".
He is undergoing treatment at a Chicago hospital.
The footage taken inside the airliner shows a man being pulled out of his seat and dragged, screaming, down the aisle. He is later seen with blood on his face.
The flight from Chicago to Louisville, Kentucky, on Sunday evening had been fully booked, United spokesman Jonathan Guerin told USA Today newspaper. The airline wanted to get four passengers to leave the flight to make room for four staff members who were needed in Louisville the next day.
United had previously described the flight as overbooked.
Three passengers agreed to leave the plane.
But Dr Dao said he worked in a hospital and needed to see his patients the next day, an eyewitness tweeted.
A video that appears to show him dazed and with blood around his mouth, saying "just kill me", having run back on the plane, also emerged online.
Earlier, Mr Munoz had defended employees' conduct and said the passenger had been "disruptive and belligerent". Employees were "left with no choice but to call Chicago Aviation Security Officers to assist in removing the customer from the flight", he added.
He came under intense criticism online and the incident reached the ears of the White House press secretary, Sean Spicer, who called it "troubling".
The statement released on behalf of Dr Dao said the family "wants the world to know that they are very appreciative of the outpouring of prayers, concern and support they have received".
It said the family was at present only concerned with Dr Dao's medical care and would not be making further statements until he was discharged.
One of the aviation security officers involved in removing Dr Dao from the plane has been "placed on leave", the Chicago Department of Aviation said, and his actions were "obviously not condoned by the department".
It also said it would carry out a review into the incident, which it said was "not in accordance with our standard operating procedure".
The US Department of Transportation is reviewing whether United complied with rules on overbooking.
US media say David Dao is a medical doctor from Elizabethtown, Kentucky.
United earlier said it was trying to talk to him directly in order to "further address and resolve this situation".
United's parent company's share price plummeted on Tuesday.
Stock in United Continental Holdings dropped by more than 4% at one point with nearly $1bn (£800m) wiped off its value, but the share prices later recovered and were down just 1% when markets closed.
Weather today 2051
- ‘Garbage Gazette violates FR’ BASL to seek Supreme Court ruling 3745
- Damning EU report puts GSP in doubt 3812
- I could’ve gone blind if not for Arjuna – Prof. Ariyaratne 3579
- CPC walks out en masse tomorrow Huge Opposition to Trinco Oil Tank Agreement 3499
- President arrogates powers Ultra Vires 3517
- Anti-smoking measures flop 3475
- Anti-garbage ‘mafia’ exposed 2613
- Over 200,000 expected 2374
- JVP condemns gazette notification 2360
- President’s Gazette Violates Rights – CRPS 2436
- Canberra toughens process 2361
- Police deployed to crush protests 2357
- 19 sailors barred from leaving Sri Lanka 2574
- SL maid arrested seven years later 2368
- President’s Proposals on SAITM Contradictory 2383
- 30 houses for M’thotamulla victims 2345
- Pre-polls boost for JSS 2368
- Putin sends Russian troops to NK 2513
- Inflation hits 8.6% in March 2347
- First ever Colombo session opens Monday 2355
- Ranil in India next week 2350
- Japanese experts to offer advice 2336
- Garbage disposal declared ‘essential service’ 2328
- China provides US$ 107M 2364
- SC fixes 24 April for support 2329
- Seeking sustainable development in neoliberalism 2722
- A time of gifts Settling down at Oxford 2284
- Enactment of legislation Protecting armed forces 2239
- Butterflies in my stomach 2217
- Army deserters and gun culture 2892
- LAW OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE 2902
- Super U-19 Provincial L/O Cricket Ten Provincial Teams to participate 2202
- Sri Lanka U-19 tour to Australia Fifth Youth ODI Match today 2194
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Division II Inter Schools (Two Day Knock-out) Tournament Exchanges even at Maggona 2198
- Tintu, Nimali and Gayanthika to battle for 800m honours 2199
- Djokovic looking for answers after loss in Monte Carlo 2199
- Young tells United to aim high 2197
- Want Govt to Degazette wilpattu forests 3999
- Muslims rage over Mannar land 4333
- Rajitha and Naveen at cross purposes 4004
- John and Rose clash over ATDA 4024
- Betwixt political trash and mounting garbage 4003
- Jumbo killing Wildlife disaster 4000
- Ministry of Megapolis responsible for Meethotamulla TRAGEDY 3087
- Garbage crisis has reached epic proportions 3055
- MR confident of ousting govt next year – Dinesh 2892
- Marikkar pours scorn on Govt, Rajapaksas 3247
- Mahinda Rajapaksa never left the fray – MR 2874
- Solution to problems is removal of Capitalist economy 2676
- Overcoming your own demons:Essential for reconciliation 4225
- SLFP in grip of unwholesome men – Mervyn Silva 1384
- No personal grudge against President – Gammanpila 2275
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2352
- Microsoft rallies finance leaders to embrace future 2610
- SLIM elects Elangovan Karthik as new President 2604
- ikman.lk revamps ‘ikman Deals’ with new features 2600
- JWT Sri Lanka expands with ‘Fortune’ 2601
- Hirdaramani tops JASTECA awards list for 2nd year 2597
- Forbes and Walker Tea Awards 2016 Hayleys Plantations bags 20 awards 2599
- The New Constitution Creating divisions for democracy 1726
- What is Good Governance? 1622
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1862
- Stallion heralds New Year 4313
- The House that Love Built 4362
- The challenges of self-representation 4311
- Solidarity Award for Prasanna Vithanage 4309
- History of Cinema 4310
- Trans national Cinematic Musical Discourse 3217
- Beware of touchy feeling! 1145
- Dazzling stars illuminated 1136
- G O O D L I F E D i a r i e s 1141
- Cuba 1135
- Science experiments A parachute 1139
- ENJOY WAFFLES TO YOUR HART'S CONTENT 1141