United Airlines CEO sorry for 'horrific' passenger removal
The CEO of United Airlines has apologised for the "truly horrific" incident in which a passenger was forcibly dragged, screaming, from a flight.
Oscar Munoz said he "continues to be disturbed" by the incident, captured on a video that went viral on Twitter.
He said the company would "fix what's broken so it never happens again".
The family of the passenger, David Dao, issued a statement expressing gratitude for the "outpouring of support".
He is undergoing treatment at a Chicago hospital.
The footage taken inside the airliner shows a man being pulled out of his seat and dragged, screaming, down the aisle. He is later seen with blood on his face.
The flight from Chicago to Louisville, Kentucky, on Sunday evening had been fully booked, United spokesman Jonathan Guerin told USA Today newspaper. The airline wanted to get four passengers to leave the flight to make room for four staff members who were needed in Louisville the next day.
United had previously described the flight as overbooked.
Three passengers agreed to leave the plane.
But Dr Dao said he worked in a hospital and needed to see his patients the next day, an eyewitness tweeted.
A video that appears to show him dazed and with blood around his mouth, saying "just kill me", having run back on the plane, also emerged online.
Earlier, Mr Munoz had defended employees' conduct and said the passenger had been "disruptive and belligerent". Employees were "left with no choice but to call Chicago Aviation Security Officers to assist in removing the customer from the flight", he added.
He came under intense criticism online and the incident reached the ears of the White House press secretary, Sean Spicer, who called it "troubling".
The statement released on behalf of Dr Dao said the family "wants the world to know that they are very appreciative of the outpouring of prayers, concern and support they have received".
It said the family was at present only concerned with Dr Dao's medical care and would not be making further statements until he was discharged.
One of the aviation security officers involved in removing Dr Dao from the plane has been "placed on leave", the Chicago Department of Aviation said, and his actions were "obviously not condoned by the department".
It also said it would carry out a review into the incident, which it said was "not in accordance with our standard operating procedure".
The US Department of Transportation is reviewing whether United complied with rules on overbooking.
US media say David Dao is a medical doctor from Elizabethtown, Kentucky.
United earlier said it was trying to talk to him directly in order to "further address and resolve this situation".
United's parent company's share price plummeted on Tuesday.
Stock in United Continental Holdings dropped by more than 4% at one point with nearly $1bn (£800m) wiped off its value, but the share prices later recovered and were down just 1% when markets closed.
Weather Today 650
- Helicopter makes emergency landing 3807
- President in Ratnapura 3297
- Flood victims left in hunger – Rajapaksa 3023
- Death toll reaches 180 and 109 missing 2988
- ‘MORA’ blows over to Bangladesh 3854
- Schools in 8 Districts closed till 2 June 2989
- Women go into labour in Chopper 2989
- Life jackets for those in flood-prone areas 2983
- Capt Cool assures an undisrupted fuel supply 2979
- Fear of the FCID 2986
- Obtaining MC services through 2977
- Ex-TNA MP Vinayagamoorthy passes away 2994
- Two loan schemes for flood victims 2989
- Army on vigil at Panapitiya Dam 3633
- Power outage in affected areas 2977
- Northern students pay tribute to flood victims 2988
- Floods and the deterioration of the State 4353
- What’s gone wrong with Indonesia’s democracy? 2972
- Floods, a Curse on Govt – ven.Gnanasara 4293
- India sends second relief ship 3249
- Flood Aid Appeal by Chandima.. 3248
- Navy Task Force removes Wakwella bottleneck 3562
- Schools In Ratnapura, Nivithigala Zones closed 4002
- Bridge Blockage Worsens Gin Ganga Flood threat 3278
- Rough weather to continue 4059
- A calculated & subtle switch from Ports to Petroleum 3449
- Asia centric foreign policy extended to southern Antipodes 2562
- Govt comes in for a lot of flak 2210
- Exploitation in state and private sectors 1914
- A time of gifts Increasing intensity 1862
- India win on D/L method 2753
- No India-Pakistan bilateral series 2746
- I had to change something, says Djokovic 2750
- Top seed Kerber knocked out 2746
- Ferrari clearly favouring Vettel, says Hamilton 2751
- WPNA Netball tourney on 1 July 3138
- Antonians clinch Plate C’ship 2749
- Dixon lucky to walk away alive 3592
- National athletes severely affected by floods 4151
- All Blacks suffer double injury blow 2878
- A HUGE ACHIEVEMENT FOR COUNTRY’S PROGRESS 2669
- Good governance through electoral reforms 2662
- Floods cause havoc 3742
- Rice mafia controls prices 3364
- ‘Yahapalanaya’ an utter failure – People 3192
- LANKAN POLITICS AND SCIENCE LIKE OIL AND WATER! 3309
- China’s long-term plan in Lanka – Carl Zha 3440
- My life is under threat 3203
- BPPL Holdings’ Net Profit up 42% to Rs 436 million 2314
- Expolanka posts Rs 63B revenue 2316
- CBSL prints money as predicted 2422
- Shares hit near two-week low 2320
- SriLankan to fly to Melbourne nonstop 2323
- Over-regulation stunting shipping development 2336
- Cigarette pricing hurting farmers 2322
- LAUGFS PLANS $150-$200M 2330
- E-SIGNATURE ESSENTIAL TO BOOST EXPORTS 2314
- Relaunch of SonicWall 2314
- Ladies College U-17 team emerge TT champions 2254
- Is Constitution the answer? 1788
- Traps from different quarters 1637
- Bahubali 2: Conclusion 393
- RE-ANIMATOR (1985) 579
- Ghost net sculptures 466
- Walking through the Graveyard of “Disruptive Innovation” Failures 396
- Is Milk really necessary for children? 1155
- Mars into Gemini Challenging period to the government 1925
- Third House Denotes Siblings 1906
- Professions signified by planetary combinations 1909
- SADI SATI OF SATURN OR SHANI ERASHTAKA- 2 1891
- Illnesses indicated by horoscope 1886
- Spiritual mine fields sprawl across Paradise 4199
- ‘Soul’, an evening of original music 2997
- Latest play by Inter Act Art 3007
- From Parents’ Perspective 3917
- Saadaya Maarai Salli Hamarai 3011
- Poetry and Picturesqueness 2982
- One country.Nine Days 1009
- A very successful apple dansala 816
- Zero is here 811
- Second mommy and me cook-off winners crowned 804
- Style and sensibility 796
- A titillating curtain-raiser 796