Man Utd stun Chelsea
(AFP) Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho masterminded a brilliant and unexpected 2-0 home victory over former club Chelsea on Sunday to breathe new life into the Premier League title race.
Mourinho gambled by resting Zlatan Ibrahimovic, but Marcus Rashford and Ander Herrera's goals gave United a win that leaves Chelsea just four points above Tottenham Hotspur with six games to play.
Victory at Old Trafford also lifted United to within four points of fourth-place Manchester City, on whom they have a game in hand, ahead of the derby at the Etihad Stadium on April 27.
It was a personal triumph for Mourinho, who saw his side thrashed 4-0 at Chelsea in October and was branded "Judas" by fans of his old club during last month's FA Cup defeat at Stamford Bridge.
A wet, cold Manchester afternoon was the setting for United to end a run of 12 games without victory against Chelsea, stretching back to a 3-2 away win in October 2012.
Chelsea have now lost twice in four games, having gone down 2-1 at home to Crystal Palace earlier this month, which will give in-form Spurs fresh hope that the Blues may yet collapse as the finishing line nears.
The top two meet at Wembley in the FA Cup semi-finals next weekend in what now looks a significant test of Chelsea's mettle.
United, meanwhile, will approach Thursday's Europa League quarter-final second leg at home to Anderlecht, which is poised at 1-1, on the back of their best display under Mourinho.
Chelsea were without goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois due to an ankle problem, while Marcos Alonso succumbed to a virus, bringing Asmir Begovic and Kurt Zouma into their usual first XI.
Mourinho set United up to stop Chelsea, with Herrera and Matteo Darmian tasked with the responsibility of tracking dangermen Eden Hazard and Pedro wherever they went.
But despite Herrera's chief role as a stifler, he created United's seventh-minute opener, albeit in contentious circumstances.
He seemed to block Nemanja Matic's pass with his right hand, but referee Robert Madley played on, enabling Herrera to split the Chelsea defence with a sublime through ball for Rashford.
The 19-year-old raced in behind David Luiz before clipping a shot past Begovic for his ninth goal of the season.
With Chelsea striker Diego Costa spending more time provoking his opponents than taking shots at goal, David de Gea was a virtual spectator between the posts for United.
Costa became embroiled in penalty-box tangles with United centre-backs Eric Bailly and Marcos Rojo and was booked for a late challenge on Paul Pogba.
With the willing Jesse Lingard in support of Rashford, United looked far more lively going forward.
Ashley Young twice spurned presentable shooting opportunities from the edge of the box, while Rashford saw a cross headed onto the roof of the net by Gary Cahill.
Short of a 25-yard drive by Costa that flashed wide in stoppage time, the half-time whistle sounded without Chelsea having offered anything in attack.
Any hopes the visitors had of masterminding a turnaround vanished within four minutes of kick-off in the second half as Herrera doubled United's lead.
Zouma's tackle on the burrowing Young sent the ball rolling into Herrera's path and his drilled effort flicked off Zouma to fly past the grounded Begovic.
Chelsea manager Antonio Conte sent on Cesc Fabregas for Victor Moses, with Pedro moving to wing-back, but still the league leaders toiled, Pedro twice curling shots over De Gea's bar.
At the other end Rashford remained a constant menace, teeing up Lingard to bend a shot over and twice going close himself, ruffling the side-netting and testing Begovic at his near post.
When he departed in the 82nd minute, with Ibrahimovic taking his place, he was accorded a richly deserved standing ovation.
Expect crossovers in droves when elections are announced We want to take an anti-UNP struggle forward
- Bangladesh War without end
- South Sudan Losing the last vestiges of moral fabric
- Can Ranil avoid confrontation prepared by fascistic forces?
- Pelwatte Sugar employees protest Claim Govt. trying to privatize Pelwatte and Sewanagala sugar
- Health professionals strike
- Suspect nabbed with Rs 20M heroin
- Social media posts on Gintota unrest CID yet to receive a complaint
- Contempt of court case against Ranjan BASL to support application
- Weekend water cut
- Illegal sand mining 10 vehicles seized
- Health sector workers strike
- Conduct LG polls after monsoon – Athaullah
- Book launch at SEUSL
- President to visit South Korea
- Politicking makes SL disaster prone – Harsha
- During times of disaster Maintaining public works is paramount – Suganuma
- Kegalle Vidyalaya Old boys’ get-together on 25th
- ‘Secret loans’ of previous regime JO requests Speaker to conduct investigation
- Sujeewa’s outburst against President Violates Standing Order 78 – says JO Speaker to inquire
- SLFP denies delaying polls
- LG polls delay Opposition rips Govt
- COPE members communicating with Aloysius Rajitha justifies
- Govt moots automatic voter registration Immediate entry in voter registry at 18
- Maaveerar Week begins in North
- Court stays LG delimitation gazette till 4 December
- SLC explores possibility of recruiting Hathurusingha
- NOC in disarray as IOC intervenes NOC forced to further delay holding the AGM
- Ashes captains continue war of words on series eve
- Adithya qualifies for main draw of WTA circuit
- Kolkata comeback a ‘morale booster’ – Saha
- Dialog Champions league Colombo FC beat Navy SC
- National Snooker Championship Hunt begins today for the winner
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Div.II (Second Round) Apeksha leads Joes to victory
- SA club cricketer slams record 490 in 50-over match
- Army Para Games Priyantha establishes new national record
- Ireland pick Malahide to host first ever Test
- Indian pace trio gets boost ahead of away tours
- Grand Slam Seedings cut to 16 from 2019
- Real cruise into last 16
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Rusara’s 12-wicket haul steers Gurukula
- Kumar, Dhawan opt out of 2nd Sri Lanka Test
- Pothas pleased with SL performance
- Everton’s Niasse charged over diving
- Mahmud temporary Bangladesh coach
- Aus-Eng Women’s T20I series Wyatt’s 56-ball century wipes out Australia
- Foreign investment in CSE hits all-time high Rs 105.1 Billion in 2017 already, surpassing the 2014 total
- US-based Ambassador Air Group to launch Lotus Air in Sri Lanka
- Global Tea campaign in three months
- NTFC to handle TFA implementation
- SLTPB MD fails to sell SL to own family
- Exporters Association recommendations included in Budget 2018
- Ceylinco Insurance posts PAT of Rs 3.4 B
- Asian Markets in Positive Territory
- Weekly Government Securities Market
- LOLC posts Rs 11.7 B PBT in 3Q
- Insurance industry grows 13.87% GWP in 1H Dips from 17.01% growth in 1H 2016
- SriLankan expands codeshare with Qantas
- St George’s Uni aims to attract more Sri Lankans
- CIMA partners HNB to provide easy-payment plan
- SLT to host 2nd SLT Zero One Awards
- Google - powerful and responsible?
- Sugar and the big fat nutritional misconception
- Look beyond headline numbers to see China’s transformation
- India-SL Economic Relations in Modi’s India
- BoI hosts Beijing and Jilin delegations
- Rice Revolution Role of Dairy Centres – Part II
- Pacific Islands:NZ considers visa for climate refugees
- Regulation of social media A desideratum to control fake news
- Global slavery About 40 million victims last year
- Budget follows IMF guidelines
- Princess Ameera’s allegations SLBFE to investigate Saudi Arabia out of bounds for employment for those under 25
- Friends like these
- Trade liberalization cycle Opening up the logistics and shipping sectors
- Geopolitics of Floating Bases And the New World Order
- China and Vietnam: Beyond Diplomacy
- WignesWaran should resign – Rear Admiral Sarath Weerasekara
- Was the fuel crisis created to get rid of Arjuna ? IOC ship still off the seas of Trincomalee
- Eastern Provincial Council destroyed- Hafiz
- An argument for a new Constitution
- ‘Otriachchi’, ‘Orumiththa Nadu’, ‘Aekeeya Rajya’ and unitary state
- A Constitutional Framework for Sri Lanka
- PAST LIFE AND RULING PLANETS IN KRISHNAMURTHI PADHDHATHI
- Build before onset of Kona Masa
- Palms of road accident victims
- Want to get rid of malefic Saturn ?
- Installing doors and windows according to Vastu
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Conquering Fashion
- Gavin Ryan’s Salon Professionalism to the next level
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE THE CRANBERRY ADVENTURES
- Calamitous Earthquake in Iran
- Scientists warn of ‘giant leap backward’ at climate talks
- Death of Ananda Senaratne