Live, long and black giant shipworm found in Philippines
Scientists have found live specimens of the rare giant shipworm for the first time in the Philippines.
Details of the creature, which can reach up to 1.55m (5ft) in length and 6cm (2.3in) in diameter, were published in a US science journal.
The giant shipworm spends its life encased in a hard shell, submerged head-down in mud, which it feeds on.
Though its existence has been known for years, no living specimen had been studied until now.
Despite its name it is actually a bivalve, which is the same group as clams and mussels.
The "rare and enigmatic species", also known as Kuphus polythamia, is the longest living bivalve known to man, according to the study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS).
The team of scientists from the US, the Philippines and France recently found and collected five giant shipworms in Mindanao in a marine bay.
A video shows the scientists carefully cutting off one end of the shipworm's shell, before gently shaking it out. A long, slimy black creature is seen sliding out of the tube-like shell.
It belongs to the shipworm family, whose members are usually much smaller and burrow and feed on rotting wood.
The giant shipworm is unique not just for its size, but also for feeding on mud and marine sediment instead, using a type of bacteria.
It therefore has a much smaller digestive system compared to other shipworms.
The animal creates its own hard tube shell, made of calcium carbonate, by secreting a substance.
It also creates a hard cap to cover its head, which is re-absorbed by the giant shipworm when it wants to grow and burrow further into the mud, researchers said.
Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done
Mahinda Rajapaksa :I did my best for the CountrySays Constitution allows him to become Prime Minister
- Modern slavery most prevalent in Africa followed by Asia and Pacific 2785
- Sexual dissatisfaction main cause of divorce in Iran 2835
- Oral cancer kills 3 daily 2,400 new patients each year 2850
- Lanka, Iran in prisoner swap Agreement to be signed soon 2774
- WAN perturbed over Disappearances Bill Government reneging on commitments 2786
- CaFFE decries PC Amendment Bill ‘Laughing mixture’ of hybrid electioneering 2782
- Social Innovation Lab 2770
- US training for Customs officials Strategic Trade Enforcement 2771
- Excavation in Gommunnakanda 450 families affected 2771
- Kamal Hassan enters politics 2809
- Mangala gets his first Rs 5k note 2771
- To Maximize Hambantota’s True Potential Recognize China’s Importance – Hang 2781
- Grenades found at SLIC 2765
- NFIs In GSM Pass Rs 80B 2768
- ‘Deranged’ Trump will pay dearly for UN speech – Kim 2767
- Extending Marine Drive ‘New tech’ to save S. Thomas’ – Kiriella 3163
- Amendments to LG ordinances Debate on 26 Sept 2768
- Stance on interim report JO MPs to seek MR’s view 2765
- Schoolchildren in ‘Osari Pota’ issue NCPA furious, launches full probe 2782
- Interim Report on Constitutional Amendments attacked Play on critical words risk country’s sovereignty – SP Gov 2769
- Talks between Sirisena & Deuba SAARC takes centre stage 2763
- Handunnetti says: Failed Airbus deal cost the Govt USD 125 M Halt production on orders to cut losses 2767
- Rebuilding Sri Lanka President Sirisena seeks US help 2769
- Soft liquor laws to be relaxed Move essential for tourism 2779
- Treasury Bonds Probe Undated letter a complete fabrication – ASG 2819
- Between men and women A yawning gap 2120
- Salient features of a new Constitution 2148
- A Time of Gifts The Byron Conference in Greece 2151
- How will coins and notes make up 100 million? 2162
- People’s worst enemy 2163
- Cricketers challenge Pramodya’s allegations 2478
- NOC not responsible in selection process - Hemasiri 2505
- Wilwara brace in vain as Kandy lose 23-24 2474
- Sri Lanka face uphill task in group A 2476
- Prima Champions Cup U-15 Provincials Cricket Western Province Central and Uva win 2467
- De Mazenod marks only win 2466
- Amazing Anitha vaults to new SL record 2643
- Over 350 rowers vying for honours 2462
- Burgher Association Cricket Sixes 2461
- 24th Richmond - Aloysius Annual Rugby Encounter Keen tussle expected in Galle today 2464
- Within the arc of Chinese influence 3219
- Big Ivan – Russia’s Bang! 2356
- Sri Lanka is a stable country now 2838
- Heading Hybrid Renewable Energy Lights Up Eluvaithivu Island 3031
- ‘Capacity To Pay’, ‘Ability To Pay’ Govt’s New Rates Question Tax Principles 3668
- Mother was a steadfast support to my father Chathurika Sirisena 4081
- I will take legal action against ‘footnote’ accusations – Sujeewa Senasinghe 3342
- We are making plans to topple the Government 3824
- Who Rules America? The Power Elite in the Time of Trump 2482
- How do you like your wine – with a cork or screw-cap? 2472
- Toys ‘R’ us bankruptcy How bad assumptions feed bad financial planning, creating failure 2472
- Financial companies need to reinvent 3029
- TEA REVENUE TOPS RS 150B 3028
- Inflation accelerates to 7.9% in August 3011
- Cyber threats: Global stock exchanges vigilant 3006
- Shares fall ending 5-day streak 3007
- Google signs $1.1B HTC smartphone deal 3016
- $ 77M Drained For Debt Servicing 3001
- Executing an Executive order 2769
- What are The Best Laxative Foods? 2589
- YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER 3609
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn 2513
- Latest addition to the iphone family 2506
- best workout songs 1847
- BOUNCE BACK: AN OPEN MIC 1964
- Cosplayer fame 2211
- Astrological clue to the nature of your progeny 2445
- Vasu Defects that Affect Business Places 2432
- Venus the planet of love 2428
- Egypt before Pharaohs: When Gods ruled the Earth 2398
- Omens connected with muscle twitching 2387
- Body of the Text 3107
- Academic approaches to peace building and reconciliation 3116
- Insights into the life of remarkable missionary 3150
- Theatre Critics 3068
- Jaffna International Cinema Festival 2017 (JaffnaICF 2017) 3092
- Grammar through Literature and A Thousand Voiced Choir 3070
- Animals in thirst 2755
- Enhancing life to the very end 2768
- Hearts break in silence 2757
- Awards for alumni at ‘the best school of all’ 2725
- Blue sky in warm champagne 2724
- A will of steel 2723