Credit card with a fingerprint sensor revealed by Mastercard
A payment card featuring a fingerprint sensor has been unveiled by credit card provider Mastercard.
The rollout follows two successful trials in South Africa.
The technology works in the same way as it does with mobile phone payments: users must have their finger over the sensor when making a purchase.
Security experts have said that while using fingerprints is not foolproof, it is a "sensible" use of biometric technology.
Mastercard's chief of safety and security, Ajay Bhalla, said that the fingerprint technology would help "to deliver additional convenience and security. It is not something that can be taken or replicated."
However, fingerprint sensors can be compromised.
Karsten Nohl, chief scientist at Berlin's Security Research Labs, told the BBC: "All I need is a glass or something you have touched in the past."
He adds that if that information is stolen, "you only have nine fingerprint changes before you run out of options".
But Mr Nohl is cautiously optimistic about the technology, saying it is "better than what we have at the moment".
"With the combination of chip and PIN, the PIN is the weaker element. Using a fingerprint gets rid of that."
"Fingerprints have helped us avoid using terrible passwords, and even the most gullible person is not going to cut off their finger if [a criminal] asks nicely."
The cards are thought to be the first to include both the digital template of the user's fingerprint and the sensor required to read their fingerprints at the point of sale.
Previous biometric payment cards only worked when used in conjunction with a separate fingerprint scanner.
That limited their usefulness, as only stores with the correct equipment could accept them.
Having both the data and the scanner on the same card means that they should be accepted everywhere a normal chip and PIN payment card can be used.
But the biometric verification can only be used for in-store purchases: online and other so-called "card not present" transactions will still require further security measures.
Expect crossovers in droves when elections are announced We want to take an anti-UNP struggle forward
- Drugs & alcohol abuse in NE Religious reps to address issue
- Pvt hospital regulation Gazette in Feb
- 29 Lankan illegal migrants land at BIA
- NDB makes donation to Yatagara Vidyalaya, Niwithigala
- Path to reconciliation Women play major role - Dr. Udagama
- SL and Norway FOs hold consultations
- Airing SL war documentary HR activist withdraws appeal
- ‘Give the gift of life’ CCS and Katugastota Rotaracters conduct blood donation camp
- Why Pakistan is hyphenating Palestine and Kashmir The rest of the world has long distanced itself from the Islamist struggle in Kashmir – unlike Palestine
- Direct purchase of State vehicles mooted
- Trump-Palestine-Israel-Jerusalem issue SLPPFA to hold public seminar
- SL Navy assists critically ill Iranian sailor
- PEaCE fights child sexual exploitation in tourism Stakeholders discuss responsible business practices
- Cabinet approves PPP for underground Marine Drive extension Connecting Elevated Port Access Road
- Six new Ministry Secys appointed
- LG Elections SLFP hard pressed for suitable candidates – Sudarshini
- Debt ratio 79% of GDP
- Gnanasara thera meets Archbishop
- Renovation of tank in progress
- Jayasena warns errant Wildlife officials Low performance will not be tolerated
- Cost of rupee protection USD 6B depreciation in 5 years
- Lanka in foreign borrowing spree In the backdrop of falling exports
- UNP committed to free and fair polls – Sagala
- Wildlife Minister reveals racket Baby Jumbos sail overseas
- SriLankan TUs have no faith in Mgt Write to MS, Ranil and Cabinet
- SLC looking to re-launch showpiece T20 league
- 3rd Ashes Test Malan’s century lifts England
- Didn’t execute plans well -Samaraweera
- Premier League Inter Club Cricket Six Matches begin today
- CR & FC go out favourites
- CH vs Navy should be a thriller
- 2017 Macau International Kart Grand Prix Sri Lankan Pieris is champion
- Gampaha Peters win twice
- Asian Power-lifting - Masters Category Kandy’s iron man pockets gold
- MCA Inter Academy 30 Over League Rashitha 115 n.o. for Ragama CA
- PRIMA JUNIOR GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP Weerasinghe takes clear lead
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Draw in Jaffna
- Fixing claims rock Ashes series
- ‘I broke no rules’ over drugs test - Froome
- LPGA announces record prize money for 2018 campaign
- Man City set to win record
- Sharma blows Sri Lanka away
- MCA Inter Academy 30 Over League CCC CA win in a thriller
- JUNIOR GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP 2017 Taniya and Kayla Round 1 Joint Leaders
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Vinura ton helps Mahinda beat Dharmapala
- SEC to mandate dual roles for CEOs & Chairmen
- Alumex to commence EU & Aus exports
- Fiscal Policy Act remains toothless: Governor
- Samantha Rajapaksa gives up all AMW posts
- 'Publish excuses for corporate governance non-compliance'
- Jetwing Symphony IPO oversubscribed
- Shares recover from an 8-month low
- ‘Spot’ In freefall, closes at Rs 153.20/30
- Asian markets lower after Fed hikes interest rates
- SL tech solution BoardPAC enters Australia
- Nimal Perera’s NP capital buys 50% of digital disrupter Arimac for Rs 250M
- SriLankan wins Gold for 3rd straight year
- SLTDA wins e-Swabhimani Award for online licensing
- HNB Assurance wins Gold in Insurance category
- Sense Micro Distributors partners Chinese video surveillance company
- RDB Bank to give relief for coconut cultivation and Industry
- Electro-mobility in Sri Lanka
- Disney - Fox deal a media and entertainment earthquake
- Developing strong ‘people skills’ for success
- Abans to host ‘Christmas Delight’ promo
- LAW OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE Trials by High Court
- Trinity CA on tour to India
- National Prosperity Development Planning and Budgets
- Paradise Gains
- Crossover Season has begun
- Canada’s pivot to China hits a snag
- Brexit: The UK’s four options
- When the heart calls out, on a starry night
- On eve of climate summit Macron reminds Trump of ‘responsibility to history’
- FGM/FGC Victims speak out
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Alleged human rights violations Lord Naseby defends Sri Lanka
- Neecha Dosha of planets and how it is cancelled Neechabhanga Rajayoga
- Vastu defects and bathrooms
- Are you endowed with Pancha Maha PurushaYoga?
- God Aiyanayake: Guardian Deity of Jungle and Village
- Good thoughts eliminate bad planetary influence
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Silvia Senanayake Dazzles at Mrs. Asia International
- Let’s Taco Colombo
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENNETTE MULLED WINE
- Hunger gnaws at Rohingya Children in camps
- Defeating IS Russia has ‘accomplished’ task
- Saudi Princess Ameera Aidan fights sex exploitation
- Hacking into the gate
- Review: A Bad Moms Christmas Relatable holiday humour
- A must watch superhero film!