Lankan woman in US wins car
A 30-year-old Sri Lankan woman in Austin won a new car on Wednesday by keeping her lips locked on it for 50 hours.
Dilini Jayasuriya got the keys to a 2017 Kia Optima LX after winning a drawing that included the six other people who had finished the "Kiss a Kia" contest held by 96.7 KISS FM radio at Southwest Kia in Round Rock.
Jayasuriya, who is married and works in a state health lab, is a native of Sri Lanka. She said she and her husband were sharing one car since she had to give up on her 1998 Toyota Camry because it broke down too much.
Her husband, Ashan Panagoda, was at Southwest Kia Round Rock on Wednesday morning when she won the car. She called out to him, "I want to go to the beach," before he gave her a big hug.
Jayasuriya said she was surprised to win. There were times she felt like giving up during the contest, she said. "I had a couple of freak-out moments like something was in my eye," she said. She also said she would then tell herself she could keep going.
The car Jayasuriya won is worth $23,108. The other six finalists who had kept their lips pressed to two cars on and off since 7 a.m. Monday won a variety of prizes, including Austin City Limits passes and tickets to Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars and the Chainsmokers.
The competition started with 20 contestants but most never made it to the end because they took their lips off the cars they were kissing, either because they fell asleep, got distracted or just wanted to leave.
The contestants had a 10-minute break every hour. They also were required to rotate around the cars they were kissing and had to spend time sitting and standing.
August Kostroun, a 36-year-old draftsman and designer from Round Rock, was one of the finalists. He said the friends and family who texted him during the contest helped him last until the very end. The hardest part was when it was his turn to sit down, he said, because he would lose circulation in his legs and get cramps.
The event drew national attention and part of it was filmed by ABC-TV's "Good Morning America."
About 150 people initially entered the contest but a drawing narrowed that down to the 20 people who competed.
Anne Hudson, an on-air personality for the radio station, said she was not surprised that seven people lasted the full 50 hours.
"They were determined," she said.
Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done
Mahinda Rajapaksa :I did my best for the CountrySays Constitution allows him to become Prime Minister
- Modern slavery most prevalent in Africa followed by Asia and Pacific 2785
- Sexual dissatisfaction main cause of divorce in Iran 2835
- Oral cancer kills 3 daily 2,400 new patients each year 2850
- Lanka, Iran in prisoner swap Agreement to be signed soon 2774
- WAN perturbed over Disappearances Bill Government reneging on commitments 2786
- CaFFE decries PC Amendment Bill ‘Laughing mixture’ of hybrid electioneering 2782
- Social Innovation Lab 2770
- US training for Customs officials Strategic Trade Enforcement 2771
- Excavation in Gommunnakanda 450 families affected 2771
- Kamal Hassan enters politics 2809
- Mangala gets his first Rs 5k note 2771
- To Maximize Hambantota’s True Potential Recognize China’s Importance – Hang 2781
- Grenades found at SLIC 2765
- NFIs In GSM Pass Rs 80B 2768
- ‘Deranged’ Trump will pay dearly for UN speech – Kim 2767
- Extending Marine Drive ‘New tech’ to save S. Thomas’ – Kiriella 3163
- Amendments to LG ordinances Debate on 26 Sept 2768
- Stance on interim report JO MPs to seek MR’s view 2765
- Schoolchildren in ‘Osari Pota’ issue NCPA furious, launches full probe 2782
- Interim Report on Constitutional Amendments attacked Play on critical words risk country’s sovereignty – SP Gov 2769
- Talks between Sirisena & Deuba SAARC takes centre stage 2763
- Handunnetti says: Failed Airbus deal cost the Govt USD 125 M Halt production on orders to cut losses 2767
- Rebuilding Sri Lanka President Sirisena seeks US help 2769
- Soft liquor laws to be relaxed Move essential for tourism 2779
- Treasury Bonds Probe Undated letter a complete fabrication – ASG 2819
- Between men and women A yawning gap 2120
- Salient features of a new Constitution 2148
- A Time of Gifts The Byron Conference in Greece 2151
- How will coins and notes make up 100 million? 2161
- People’s worst enemy 2163
- Cricketers challenge Pramodya’s allegations 2478
- NOC not responsible in selection process - Hemasiri 2505
- Wilwara brace in vain as Kandy lose 23-24 2474
- Sri Lanka face uphill task in group A 2476
- Prima Champions Cup U-15 Provincials Cricket Western Province Central and Uva win 2467
- De Mazenod marks only win 2466
- Amazing Anitha vaults to new SL record 2643
- Over 350 rowers vying for honours 2462
- Burgher Association Cricket Sixes 2461
- 24th Richmond - Aloysius Annual Rugby Encounter Keen tussle expected in Galle today 2464
- Within the arc of Chinese influence 3219
- Big Ivan – Russia’s Bang! 2356
- Sri Lanka is a stable country now 2838
- Heading Hybrid Renewable Energy Lights Up Eluvaithivu Island 3031
- ‘Capacity To Pay’, ‘Ability To Pay’ Govt’s New Rates Question Tax Principles 3668
- Mother was a steadfast support to my father Chathurika Sirisena 4081
- I will take legal action against ‘footnote’ accusations – Sujeewa Senasinghe 3342
- We are making plans to topple the Government 3824
- Who Rules America? The Power Elite in the Time of Trump 2482
- How do you like your wine – with a cork or screw-cap? 2472
- Toys ‘R’ us bankruptcy How bad assumptions feed bad financial planning, creating failure 2472
- Financial companies need to reinvent 3029
- TEA REVENUE TOPS RS 150B 3028
- Inflation accelerates to 7.9% in August 3011
- Cyber threats: Global stock exchanges vigilant 3006
- Shares fall ending 5-day streak 3007
- Google signs $1.1B HTC smartphone deal 3016
- $ 77M Drained For Debt Servicing 3001
- Executing an Executive order 2769
- What are The Best Laxative Foods? 2589
- YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER 3609
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn 2513
- Latest addition to the iphone family 2506
- best workout songs 1847
- BOUNCE BACK: AN OPEN MIC 1964
- Cosplayer fame 2211
- Astrological clue to the nature of your progeny 2445
- Vasu Defects that Affect Business Places 2432
- Venus the planet of love 2428
- Egypt before Pharaohs: When Gods ruled the Earth 2398
- Omens connected with muscle twitching 2387
- Body of the Text 3107
- Academic approaches to peace building and reconciliation 3116
- Insights into the life of remarkable missionary 3150
- Theatre Critics 3068
- Jaffna International Cinema Festival 2017 (JaffnaICF 2017) 3092
- Grammar through Literature and A Thousand Voiced Choir 3070
- Animals in thirst 2755
- Enhancing life to the very end 2768
- Hearts break in silence 2757
- Awards for alumni at ‘the best school of all’ 2725
- Blue sky in warm champagne 2724
- A will of steel 2723