Apple reveals HomePod smart speaker
Apple has announced a voice-activated loudspeaker powered by its virtual assistant Siri.
Like devices by Amazon and Google, Apple's HomePod speaker can respond to questions and control smart home gadgets such as lights.
Analysts say Apple has been slow to improve its Siri virtual assistant and launch a smart speaker, after Amazon launched its Echo in 2014.
The company has pitched HomePod first and foremost as a music player.
"Apple being very clever by launching its Siri speaker as a music speaker that's smart, because Siri isn't great," said Tom Warren from the technology news site The Verge.
"Interesting that home assistant was the last feature they talked about. Focusing on music is smart, main use case for smart speakers," said Ben Bajarin, of the Creative Strategies consultancy.
The announcement was made at the tech giant's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Jose, California.
"It's a logical step for Apple, to ensure that they don't miss the opportunity to get a smart device right in the centre of people's homes," said Ben Wood, an industry analyst at CCS Insight.
"There has been a huge amount of hype around Amazon Echo and Google Home, but we are really at the start of this technology.
"This does a great job of extending the tentacles of Apple services."
At more than double the cost of Amazon's Echo, the HomePod is a typical Apple move.
The company is once again banking on its reputation as a creator of intuitive, luxury products that justify a hefty price tag.
What's interesting about Apple's approach here is that the company has positioned HomePod as a music device first and foremost, a big contrast to the approach of Google which touted its Home speaker as a day-to-day assistant for many aspects of your life.
So - a cynic might say Apple has just launched the world's most-hyped bluetooth speaker - not much imagination there.
But let's face it, before AI and machine learning really matures, most home assistant devices are essentially voice-controlled speakers, and so Apple dedicating its effort into making it sound great is probably a smart move.
Then again, you might wonder if its "smart" capabilities are being downplayed due to Siri just not being as advanced as its competitors.
Tools that let app designers add virtual objects to a real-world view from the phone's camera, in real time, were also revealed.
The mobile game Pokemon Go is a well-known example of mixed-reality technology in action.
Apple said the new ARkit would make use of the dual-lens camera on the iPhone 7 Plus, making the integration of virtual objects and the real world more realistic.
"By truly enabling all modern iPhones to become augmented reality platforms, Apple will have the largest potential reach for AR development day one," said Mr Bajarin.
However, he questioned the practicality of augmented reality on a smartphone.
"The benefit to a headset or glasses in these demos is not having to hold the device up thus arms getting tired," he said.
Apple also announced the next version of its mobile operating system - iOS 11 - which will include a new setting for people who use their iPhone in the car.
In January, the company was sued by a US couple whose daughter was killed by a driver allegedly using FaceTime on his iPhone.
The new driving mode silences notifications, turns the phone's display off, and can automatically reply to messages to warn friends that you are driving.
Samsung is testing a similar feature for its Android-powered phones.
LATEST NEWSRead More
- Govt to issue fresh statement 3749
- GMOA threatens another strike 3697
- Rs 40 Bn more needed to correct flaws 4218
- Two more students arrested 3689
- Teachers threaten strike 3698
- Scot stranded in SL begs for help to return home 3698
- Return of Lanka’s boat people 3694
- GHSATD on strike 3684
- Daylight heist in Ragama 3682
- Six million in disaster prone areas 3677
- Details on Parliament vehicles withheld 3700
- Dambulla Rock Temple 3682
- India challenges China’s intentions 3686
- Surviving the Trump problem 3688
- Foreign policy geared to promoting unity –Ravi K 3686
- Strike cripples postal services 3687
- Garbage disposal facility at Puttalam 3678
- Anti-garbage drive in WP 3676
- J-SLPFL offers flood relief 3668
- Tea growers in doldrums after floods 3672
- Government takes a step back on SAITM - Ignore human nature at your peril 3885
- Ampara Muslims celebrate Ramazan on grand scale 3674
- Committee hands in its recommendations 3673
- Govt to stop SAITM enrolment and degree awards 3686
- IUSF claims leaders’ parents threatened 3083
- The march of folly Uses and instruments of disinformation 1942
- TRUMP BREAKS EID TRADITION AT WHITE HOUSE 1949
- Amsterdam – Canals, Bicycles, and Rembrandt 1948
- The Ideal of Islamic Charity 2384
- Eid-Ul-Fitr a Unique Festival Time of Joy for Muslims 2386
- Frank de Boer appointed Crystal Palace manager 3005
- SLC hires Podiatrist from Aussie 3101
- De Villiers to meet with CSA in August to decide future 3008
- Galle CC players yet to be paid 3016
- Samitha seals Bronze in Korea 3008
- Mahela dismisses report about Indian coaching job 3010
- Jayantha follows Ford’s footsteps 4004
- Akash, Taniya, Dhuwarshan, Yannik and Reshan on Top 3009
- Ricciardo wins in Baku 3007
- Coleman downed again as upsets hit trials 3006
- Social media changing our lives 1747
- Correlation between terrorism and Islam Fact or fiction? 1769
- Eid-ul-Fitr A day of thanksgiving to God in all humility 2390
- I regret introducing commercial whale watching – Ranawake 2747
- Beaten but not defeated 2731
- Railway worries and TU action 3782
- TNA jittery over TPC – C.V. Wigneswaran 2247
- TPC with a hidden agendaSeeks to weaken ITAK – Senathirajah 2153
- Amaranthé Bay wins ‘2017 Certificate of Excellence’ 2611
- Vespa and Aprilia SR 150 launched in Sri Lanka 2612
- The adversity of Trumponomics and Philippines goes 'Blink' 2608
- The need for a ‘Smarter Trade Strategy’ to be discussed 2608
- ThreadSol – Key to accelerating apparel exports 2608
- DR. SAMAN KELEGAMA: A STUPENDOUS CONTRIBUTION TO THE STATE, PRIVATE SECTORS 2639
- Exciting new leasing promo from Commercial Bank and United Motors 2611
- Kanrich Finance receives Carbon Conscious Certificate 2614
- Mastercard expands Labs in Asia Pacific 2613
- Sampath Bank named ‘Most Innovative Bank’ in Sri Lanka 2606
- Holistic social intervention The crying need for waste management 4480
- A time of gifts Beginning of my second year 2359
- Enlightening the younger generation 2692
- Explore what lies under the waves With the Power Ray Drone 1032
- She’s the Man: Review 1026
- Understanding Rheumatoid Arthritis 1292
- Eid-ul-Fitr A day of Love and Compassion 1298
- The Brains behind Royal and Regal 1512
- Try this when people come to you with their problems 3450
- International Yoga Day Celebration 3433
- Females born under Maha Bhagya Yoga 3446
- Latest Findings on Coconut Oil Kills Cancer in Two Days! 3711
- Birth Nakshatra says what you are – Part 4 3424
- Flying with the Flamingos Saga of the survival of the human spirit 3899
- Hindustani Vocal recital 3839
- Flying with Flamingos Literary exploration into protracted conflict 3899
- Battles and Laments 3890
- Six walks in the fictional woods 3848
- Argus-eye Indexical Dimension of Sign-Making 3826
- Latest lady chef in city 919
- Horton Plains invaded 1041
- Haiti 902
- GERMANY 878
- Invention of coloured crayons for kids 888
- Sri Lankan contingent to take wing 894