Eight dead in blast at Chinese nursery
At least eight people have been killed and dozens injured in an explosion at a nursery in China.
State news agency Xinhua said the blast took place just outside the kindergarten in the town of Xuzhou in Jiangsu province on Thursday afternoon.
No children or teachers were among the casualties, it said.
The cause of the blast is not clear but media reports say the police are treating the explosion as a criminal offence and have identified a suspect.
The explosion happened at about 17:00 (09:00 GMT).
Two people were killed immediately and six others died from their injuries, Xinhua reported.
According to the news agency, 65 people have been injured, with several in a serious condition.
Unverified images circulating on social media showed adults and children lying on the ground, while video footage showed injured people holding crying children and one woman with burned clothing staggering unsteadily.
It is the second tragedy to strike a Chinese kindergarten in recent weeks.
Last month, 11 children died when a bus packed with kindergarten pupils burst into flames inside a tunnel in eastern Shandong province.
It later emerged that the fire had been started deliberately by the driver, who also died.
Demographics expert says No labour shortage in Sri Lanka Importing foreign workers will lead to tension
- Managing the US-Thailand Alliance in the Trump Era
- Don’t play games with youth
- Call to provide DF vehicles for migrant workers
- SAITM Controversy:BASL will inform GMOA on stance Dr. Aluthge
- Implementation of Research Programme SL and India sign 2nd PoC
- Pakistan’s Foreign Secretary to visit SL
- NBRO warns of floods if rains continue
- Veteran TULF politician Soosaithasan’s funeral today
- TNA seeks fiscal powers in new Constitution N&E PCs should be integrated - Sumanthiran
- New laws to curb poaching Rs 100m fine and no bail – Amaraweera
- TPA wants local polls delayed Seeks more PS Offices in N’Eliya
- New Constitution draws flak Country heading for Federalism – MR
- Namal, 7 others out on bail
- Treasury Bonds Probe PTL and EPF officials cost CBSL billions – Banking Expert
- Hotels face tough time Drop in tourist arrivals predicted
- Military Stalemate: How North Korea could win a war with the US
- What Is the Tatmadaw’s Plan for the Rohingya?
- Inadequate pay stunts female labour force
- Strike cost Railway Dept Rs 12 M
- Lanka paying back Mahinda’s debts Gift from the past regime -Ranil
- CEB subsidiary in illegal name change VAC to lodge complaint with CIABOC
- Two held at BIA with Wallapatta, phones
- Taiwanese investigators leave SL
- 100,000 persons put on landslide alert Red notice for Ratnapura and Galle DMC
- SAITM issue a ‘public headache’ -Prelates Want President, PM to provide solution
- Pakistan confident Sri Lanka will come
- Pakistan struggling
- Top seeds through to 2nd round
- Dialog Champions League Navy SC face Negombo SC today
- Cane inks long-term deal with All Blacks
- NZ Rugby to assist SL Rugby
- Singer Cup’ U-19 Schools Cricket 22 wickets fall in one day
- Hatton wins second straight title in Italy
- Indonesian goalkeeper dies after mid-game collision
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Division I Schools Cricket Hasaranga shines with bat and ball
- Dressing up for Test cricket
- Sri Lanka ‘A’ Team win Zia-Ul-Haq Trophy
- De Kock, Amla trump Mushfiqur century
- 'It's war' - Warner driven by hatred for Ashes
- Rooney rides to Everton's rescue
- All Island Schools Games 2017 Twins Aruna and Pasindu shine for top awards
- Dovizioso wins Japan thriller
- Federer beats great rival Nadal to win Shanghai Masters
- Red Bull MotoGP™ Rookies Cup Jaden and Aaron invited to Spain
- Surarez saves Barca’s unbeaten record
- Grasping the term ‘Memorandum of Understanding’
- Ashok Leyland turnover up 49% to 7.2 B in 1H 2017
- ‘Spot’ Holds
- Spotlight : Sri Lanka’s Hotel Sector
- High debate, high performance and dropping into hot sectors
- Saudi Aramco: FCA head admits to talks over listing plans
- SLIDA wins Green Energy Champion 2017
- Nations Trust Bank launches Flexi Deposit Scheme
- BOC to reward foreign remittances
- Atlas Axillia wins big at 2017 NCQP Awards
- Emirates launches $15 M campaign to promote Dubai Set to iconic soundtrack by Queen, campaign features airline’s global network and onboard product
- DLB ‘Kotipathi Shanida’ produces another millionaire
- Brandix launches 2017 Blood Drive Marks 10th year as major corporate donor
- SHARP electronic products now exclusively from SINGER
- LAUGFS Gas celebrates two years in Bangladesh
- Asia markets close higher on China inflation data
- Fitch gives CEB top credit rating
- Singapore FTA talks commence
- New Inland Revenue Act not so friendly PwC
- Further liberalization needed for economic hub status German Ambassador highlights apparel as success story
- A frightening future for Sri Lankans
- Government lethargy in protecting our forces
- Where is Sri Lanka heading?
- Securing Sri Lanka’s maritime boundaries:Russian Gepard 5.1 Class Frigates
- Sri Lanka and International Conventions - Part 1 Debasement of our legislative process
- Ahikuntika community of Sri Lanka Diminishing cultural traits
- Beware of drones!
- Anti-SAITM protests a political gimmick?
- Death of Subramaniam Haran ‘Police had no option’ Ticino police chief
- President jolts security detail Confronts Jaffna protesters
- Would like more Pradeshiya Sabhas for N’Eliya-Radhakrishnan
- Skills mismatch a massive economic cost Education system must be reformed
- Federalism is the antithesis of separatism Wiggy
- UNHRC Resolution 30/1 Implications for Sri Lanka (Part II) (Based on a presentation to the OPA)
- Electoral Reforms are for People’s Benefit
- Managing perception with international community
- An Aspirant to the Throne of Hearts-Virajini Thennekoon
- The latest addition to the Galle Hospitality industry
- Best Hikes in Sri Lanka
- What went wrong at the Apple Inc. iPhone X demo?
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn
- Salient points of horoscope Assessment
- KARMIC CONNECTIONS IN THE BIRTH CHARTS 2
- Dream of travelling abroad?
- Mystery behind Osama bin Laden explained
- Three poses to relieve trauma
- Socio-economic developments from critical perspective
- KAZUO ISHIGURO – THE NEW NOBEL LAUREATE
- The Fairway Galle Literary Festival 2018 –Internationally acclaimed authors to take part
- Portrayal of country and nature
- Resonant Field Imaging - a Marvel in Technology
- Shankar’s International Children’s Competition 2018
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Making plus-sized clothing trendy
- Pyjamas go viral as well - Sharmila Srikumar
- Giving back to Society
- Double treat at Pinnawala
- Mental illness a health issue Replacing stigma with compassion
- Studying to be ahead