US coalition downs Syrian army plane in Raqqa
The US-led coalition in Syria has shot down a Syrian military jet in Raqqa province.
The Syrian army said its warplane was on a mission against the Islamic State (IS) group when it came under fire on Sunday, according to state television.
It said the incident would have "dangerous repercussions" on efforts to fight terrorism.
The US said it acted in self-defence after the Syrian regime dropped bombs near US-backed fighters.
"In accordance with rules of engagement and in collective self-defence of Coalition-partnered forces [the plane] was immediately shot down," said the US military in a statement.
The incident took place in the town of Ja'Din, which is held by the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) and lies on the outskirts of Raqqa.
The SDF rebel fighters, supported by US-led coalition air strikes, are encircling the IS stronghold of Raqqa.
Two hours before the plane was shot down, the US said forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad attacked SDF fighters, "wounding a number" of them and driving them from Ja'Din.
The US said it responded without hesitation, but emphasised that it did not seek to fight to the Syrian regime.
"The demonstrated hostile intent and actions of pro-regime forces toward Coalition and partner forces in Syria conducting legitimate counter-Isis operations will not be tolerated," it added.
Syrian pro-government forces are not fighting the battle for Raqqa, but they are making ground against IS in the surrounding area, south-west of the city.
Earlier this month, the US shot down a pro-Syrian government armed drone after it fired at coalition forces near the al-Tanf border crossing, between Syria and Iraq.
Iran's Revolutionary Guards announced on Sunday that it has launched several missiles into eastern Syria, targeting IS fighters.
IS claimed responsibility for an attack on Iranian parliament earlier in June, which killed more than a dozen people.
Proposed crippling countrywide strike TO SAVE ECONOMY, ASSETS, NATURAL RESOURCES– D.J. RAJAKARUNA
Weather today 887
- Harmony needed for religious freedom – Minister 1646
- CMC property taxes 1643
- Proposed tax on EPF, ETF ICEU seeks urgent meeting with Minister 1644
- Car plunges into river Two dead, three critically injured 1645
- Arson attack on schoolgirl’s house Minister promises new home 1646
- Australian gender advocate in Lanka Broderick to meet business, public leaders 1643
- Fire at Weligama textile store 1641
- Protest planned on Matale A9 Road Compensation demand for lost property 1643
- Rs 128,250,000 spent on survey Samurdhi union demands reimbursement 1642
- NEC to boost economy – President Shot in the arm for agriculture sector 1643
- Driver who killed 13 in Barcelona rampage Spanish police in manhunt 1639
- NLB, DLB back with Finance Ministry 1637
- Govt. has failed says Sampanthan Complains in letter to UNSG 1636
- New LG Draft Bill in Parliament on 24 August 1637
- Travis Sinniah appointed Navy Chief Holder of highest combat medal 1641
- Solution to ethnic issue New Constitution the only way – Mano 1637
- 18-year sentence sought for Lankan Convicted of human smuggling 1637
- SIS man on the mat Nabbed with gold at BIA 1637
- Dullas defends Wijeyadasa 1639
- Student leader Ryan remanded Surrenders to Court through lawyers 1637
- No mandate for foreign judges – Marapana 1637
- Floods, landslides cost Rs 109 B Rs 70B needed to rebuild houses – PM 1638
- China and Turkey aspiring for Greatness in the World 3259
- General Wanasinghe’s 84th birthday today 3357
- Wiggy blasts Thavarajah 3419
- Bribery and corruption pervasive malaise in Sri Lanka 1869
- Schoolboy publisher Notching up half a century in business 1642
- Spirits Nether world inhabitants visiting us 1644
- Persisting pseudo ideals 1639
- LAW OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE 1914
- Seven countries compete 1640
- Saparamadu wins gold medal in Taiwan 1643
- Theekshana, Ranasinghe emerge champions 1641
- Doluweera and Sayuni win in chess 1644
- Singer Cup’ U-17 Division II Cricket St. Peter’s meet Galahitiyawa Central 1641
- Ronaldo nominated for FIFA player award 1641
- Halep advances 1637
- Ton-up Cook and Root give Windies hard day’s night 1637
- England power to semi finals 1637
- More Floodlights for Dambulla 1658
- Political commentary What’s next? Who’s next? 3676
- THE SHADOWS IN THE CB SCAMS 4463
- Turmeric eaten on daily basis reverses cancer Confirmed by new scientific evidence 3936
- Drivers welcome stiffer traffic fines 4688
- What the FCID have achieved since 2015 3772
- Proposed crippling countrywide strike TO SAVE ECONOMY, ASSETS, NATURAL RESOURCES– D.J. RAJAKARUNA 2588
- No taxes on EPF withdrawals– John Seneviratne 3295
- Zero support for Justice Minister within UNP – Ajith P. Perera 3338
- China cracks down on VPN vendors 1644
- Roaming downtime hits customers on Three in Europe 1644
- Very few girls took computing A-levels 1643
- Chatbot helps students to choose courses 1644
- Game of Thrones struck by fresh leak 1642
- Peanut allergy treatment ‘lasts up to four years’ 1642
- Anger and hatred can make us feel happy, says study 1638
- Japanese fungus spreading in UK hospitals 1638
- Plants ‘hijacked’ to make polio vaccine 1639
- Disruption is over, and Facebook won 1638
- A time of gifts Staying on 1397
- Manuka honey:The superbug killer 2230
- A time of gifts Trying to settle down 2127
- Chithral releases his latest song 1396
- Florals: A Fashion Favourite 1394
- Be a lioness not a lamb 906
- Places to visit in Kandy 1262
- Dhothalu Oya Sandaraja Forest amidst tea estates 1390
- Understanding and Interpreting their results 1859
- Two lunar eclipses in August 1730
- Undergoing an Erashtaka period ? 1717
- Aging with Venus 1673
- Gemstones empower aura 1682
- Correlation Between Social Formation and Text 3765
- The global and local in Hong Kong cinema-part 05 3671
- Commendations or Brickbats 4313
- Why we should listen to Jane Austen in the age of Tinder 4457
- Lullaby of the Ever-Returning Love universal yet coloured by culture 4461
- A story of Palestinians without Palestine 3647
- Healing the helpless 1728
- Winging it overseas 1713
- From the hospital to the news room 1732
- India revisited 1702
- Showers of blessings 1720
- Healing from port to port 1696