How many MPs are fit enough to be in Parliament- Mahanama
Former Sri Lanka Captain Roshan Mahanama took a swipe at a prominent politician in the country and questioned the latter's wisdom in deeming that most of the players in the current national team were unfit.
Mahanama who graced the prize giving (Colours Night) ceremony of Gateway College, Colombo held last Sunday in return questioned as to how many politicians were fit enough to be in the current Parliament.
"I am pleased to see the organizers of this event had refrained from inviting politicians for this event," the former ICC Match Referee said at the outset of his speech.
"Politicians of our generation does not command any respect and I say this not with any disrespect to anyone with connections to politicians who may be in attendance here. A politician had recently said that fellow cricketers were not fit enough. But, I thought to myself, looked back and reflected as to how many politicians were fit enough to be in Parliament."
Sports Minister Dayasiri Jayasekera had publicly criticized the national team insisting that many players were too fat following their failure to qualify for the ICC Champions Trophy semi-finals last month.
The 51-year-old former star batsman who retired from his ICC post in 2015 advised students at Gateway College to continue to be winners in their respective fields as the modern world does not reward quitters.
He asserted that nothing would come easy in life and to strive for excellence through perseverance, discipline, hard work and honesty. "Sport teaches team ethics and a lot of good things. It also teaches you how to accept both defeat and victory in equal measure."
Mahanama also called on Gateway students to strike a balance in both sports and studies instead of allowing one to overlap the other and seek excellence through both fields.
He noted that modern-day coaches do not leave any good examples for their charges to follow with their win at any cost attitude and advised them to rethink such policies.
"Winning and losing is part of sport. It's your duty to guide these sportsmen and women to achieve their goals. It's all about how you play the game and not whether you win or lose."
Expect crossovers in droves when elections are announced We want to take an anti-UNP struggle forward
- Russia Connection: Is Trump Having Sleepless Nights?
- Completing large-scale projects:Indians no match for Chinese – Dr. Narayan
- Railway services disrupted Derailment, fallen trees and collisions faulted
- Gold biscuits smuggled from SL seized in TN
- Options for money recovery post-PCoI bonds scam report
- Nettikumara’s FR petition SC to consider on 28 Nov
- Unidentified group threaten bank manager
- Refusal to hoist National Flag I have the same political reservations Wigneswaran
- Govt promises IQAAC by mid next year
- Govt compromising State education – Dr. Jayatissa By seeking quick solutions to economic challenges
- AGM of Old Anandians, Panadura Branch
- Two more AAVA men nabbed
- Sammanthurai school principal remanded Charged with sexual abuse of minors
- Bonds scam probe COPE Members should not converse with Aloysius Navin
- Probe content of calls to COPE members Handunnetti
- UNP has a better voter base than the SLFP Navin
- CWG H’tota 2018’s vanishing funds Need to probe missing Rs 900 M – Kabir
- Treating alcohol related diseases Expenditure more than revenue earned survey
- Bonds Scam I contacted Aloysius to conduct research – Sujeewa
- Breach of MPs’ parliamentary privileges Speaker refers matter to Privileges Committee
- Kiriella supports private education Says Govt cannot cater to all wanting higher studies
- Basil’s petition decision on 24 November
- Character certificate at end of term - Sirisena
- Gamini Senarath et al out on bail
- Gnanasara boasts of his ability Says can orchestrate bloodbath in under 2 hours
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Rusara’s 12-wicket haul steers Gurukula
- Kumar, Dhawan opt out of 2nd Sri Lanka Test
- Pothas pleased with SL performance
- Everton’s Niasse charged over diving
- Mahmud temporary Bangladesh coach
- Aus-Eng Women’s T20I series Wyatt’s 56-ball century wipes out Australia
- Navy in impressive win
- Swiss Football Team arrives for 14 day tour
- Vidyartha Colours and Gold awards ceremony
- NSSF Trap Open Shotgun Championship Gilbert and Negombo RC dominate
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Div.II (Second Round) Sebastianites gain first inning points
- Federer, Nadal set for repeat show in 2018?
- Untested but defiant, Aussies seek to strike ‘fear’ in Ashes
- Can England tick without Big Ben?
- Warner hit by neck injury ahead of Ashes
- Sharapova named in India luxury housing fraud probe
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket 20 wickets fall on day one
- Kohli scores 50th international century Bad light saves Sri Lanka
- I want to continue contributing - Kohli
- England motivated as ever even without Stokes
- BOI to hit $1.5B FDI this year
- Ease repatriation rule on earnings: Exporters
- 'Economy doomed without RCEP, TPP'
- India open to linking national power grids
- Tea, rubber output up, coconut down
- CBSL prints Rs 4.5 B
- Shares down despite higher foreign trade
- Tencent chief ‘richer than Google founders'
- Asian markets higher on upbeat economic data
- SL obsessed with Tamil Nadu for business
- Virtual connectivity to facilitate FDI
- London loses EU agencies in Brexit relocation
- Renuka Hotels Limited commences trading at CSE
- Amagi Hotels invests Us$ 60M with an international chain
- Sampath Cards offers many discounts
- Cyaniq to handle ATSL Telecom brand repositioning
- Why Trump’s CNN Attacks Could Help the deal
- How your electric car could be ‘a virtual power station’
- Insiders Do More Than Trade in India
- Do trade restrictions work? Lessons from trade with Japan in the 1980s
- Regulation of social media A desideratum to control fake news
- Global slavery About 40 million victims last year
- Budget follows IMF guidelines
- Spaceport UK
- TNA crisis Enmity within
- Trade liberalization cycle Opening up the logistics and shipping sectors
- Geopolitics of Floating Bases And the New World Order
- China and Vietnam: Beyond Diplomacy
- Middle East: Kurdish Pawn Sacrificed
- Concretes and abstracts Two comics at the Savoy in London
- Was the fuel crisis created to get rid of Arjuna ? IOC ship still off the seas of Trincomalee
- Eastern Provincial Council destroyed- Hafiz
- eLECTRIC AND HYBRID CARS MUST BE PRICED REASONABLY
- An argument for a new Constitution
- ‘Otriachchi’, ‘Orumiththa Nadu’, ‘Aekeeya Rajya’ and unitary state
- A Constitutional Framework for Sri Lanka
- PAST LIFE AND RULING PLANETS IN KRISHNAMURTHI PADHDHATHI
- Build before onset of Kona Masa
- Palms of road accident victims
- Want to get rid of malefic Saturn ?
- Installing doors and windows according to Vastu
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Conquering Fashion
- Gavin Ryan’s Salon Professionalism to the next level
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE THE CRANBERRY ADVENTURES
- Calamitous Earthquake in Iran
- Scientists warn of ‘giant leap backward’ at climate talks
- Death of Ananda Senaratne