Chandimal wants to see Sri Lanka top of the World
By Anjana Kaluarachchi
CT sports: Dinesh Chandimal was out of the SL ODI team following disappointing outing in the Champions Trophy. He was in the centre of much criticism most of his career. Even when he scored bulk of runs, most by a Sri Lankan in 2016, he was criticized about his strike rate.
He was appointed vice captain and T20 captain of the Sri Lanka team but those titles were taken off from him later, while his poor form sometimes cost him his place in the team too. But in Test cricket, Chandimal has proved he is the backbone of Sri Lanka team. His 132 against Australia when Sri Lanka were 26 for 5 last year was a prime example. And now SLC has trusted him with Test captaincy, one of the highest honours SL cricketer can receive in his life time.
"I'm very happy about the Test captaincy. I have to thank the board and the selectors for trusting me with this responsibility. As a player and captain I will sacrifice my time and my effort to make sure Sri Lanka reclaims a good place. I need a little time for that. I am hopeful that with the players that I have, I can take Sri Lankan cricket to where it used to be," said Chandimal ahead of his maiden Test as captain and as Sri Lanka's 15th Test Captain.
Chandimal said his prime target will be taking Sri Lanka to number one position in Test cricket, but first it will be about climbing one position at a time. Sri Lanka is presently at 9th position in Test ranking while Zimbabwe is tenth.
"My final goal is to take the team to no. 1 in the world. We can't do that in one day or one year. We have to work hard with our cricket to get there. We have young players, and we have to give them experience along the way. We have to take it step by step – go to no. 6 first, then 5 and so on."
One of Sri Lanka's biggest problems in cricket has been its fielding and Chandimal said he has few ideas to improve on it.
"I've thought about how we became so weak in fielding and tried to work out how we can fix it. I talked with the coaches as well.
Even in training, if we catch 100 flat catches, 100 high catches and 100 ground fielding balls, the pressure that we have in the game will disappear. I talked to the coaches and told them that what I want is to do those drills under something similar to match atmosphere. Then we have a target and feed off each other's energy. In the last few days that's what we did. I think we'll be able to improve a lot in our fielding with those measures," said Chandimal.
Chandimal said he worked hard on some of the weakness during recent times.
"There was a little issue with my bat grip. My top hand was turning in too much. I worked that out and also worked on my head position."
Meanwhile, Chandimal recalled memories about his T20 captaincy in 2014 which was not a pleasant one as he opted out from the team and later he lost his captaincy.
"I had the T20 captaincy in 2014. I always thought that my team and my nation were no. 1. I always thought about who were the best XI. Sometimes I couldn't showcase my talents because I put the team at no. 1. I especially remember that when I was captaining, I batted at no. 6, where you only get two or three overs to bat sometimes. I could have, as captain, gone up to open and hit the runs that I needed. But I didn't think about it like that. I looked at what was needed for the team to win and worked on that basis. I learned a lot from that captaincy, and from stepping away as captain. I have all that experience to call upon in my Test captaincy. I want to try and lead well using all of that knowledge."
Chandimal was praised a lot by fans back in the day when he refused an IPL contract but Chandimal said he actually did not reject IPL.
"I didn't reject the IPL. When I went the first time, I stayed two weeks in India and didn't get a game and I felt like I wouldn't get to play. So at that time I talked to the manager and said I can't stay here doing nothing. I want to go to Sri Lanka and train. So I got that permission. Second time, I was T20 captain. In the first round of the auction I wasn't picked, but the second time when a player was injured, I was chosen. But at the time I'd committed to some English classes and I thought: "I'm the captain now. If I go after being selected on the second round, that would not be good for the country. So I decided to do the things I wanted to do instead of going there," concluded Chandimal.
Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done
Mahinda Rajapaksa :I did my best for the CountrySays Constitution allows him to become Prime Minister
- No consensus on Constitution 2419
- India-US Economic Relations Bounce Back 2416
- Symposium on Islamic and Arabic Studies 2415
- Two-day workshop at Prisons Dept.On Materials Management 2416
- Mere ploys to delay elections, CaFFE cries out! 30% rep for women & having elections on the same day 2415
- Students struggle without teachers in Kalpitiya 2417
- Students in ‘Osari Pota’ row Governor defends CM 2418
- President Sirisena returns 2416
- Girl (15) rescued by cops from nightclub 2422
- Scholarship Exam results out on 5 October 2418
- Obtaining a Driving licence Mental Health certificate required – Dr. Kodagoda 2412
- Interim Report on CA Constituent parties to be consulted – Senathirajah 2414
- Disappearance of 11 Tamil youth Ex-Navy spokesman further remanded 2414
- Halloluwa resigns as CCFC chairman Says too much pressure to do wrong 2412
- In Vitro Fertilization in Govt hospitals soon 2414
- Passing of PC polls Bill BASL & TISL criticize Govt 2411
- Kahawatta killing Ex-Snr DIG Jayasinghe arrested Allegedly concealed evidence 2411
- Third stage of Central Expressway Agreement to be signed this week 2412
- 1.9 Million Affected By Drought – DMC Thousands Of Families Reduced To One Meal A Day – UN Farmer Suicides Increase 2419
- US Counter Measure to China-Pakistan Economic Corridor 3695
- NEW CONSTITUTIONAL REFORMS EXECUTIVE PRESIDENCY: MAIN BONE OF CONTENTION 3771
- Soldier arrested on sexual abuse claim Girl (15) the victim 3725
- Govt trying to pass Constitution in a corrupt manner – Wimal 3678
- Price index for coconuts Action against black marketeers – CCB Chairman 3679
- Call to hike tax on cheap fags Prevent switch by high brand smokers 3674
- The March of Folly Sarath Fonseka as both Good Cop and Bad Cop 2207
- Case of the abused autistic youth No Justice – Just Us Case heard after being stuck in legal backwater for ages 2206
- The Rohingya of Arakan: Homeless and Stateless 2209
- Unitary or united, undivided and indivisible Executive Presidency or Westminster Premier 3111
- Water, a key issue in South Asian Geopolitics Sino-Indian battle over Brahmaputra River 3072
- SLC donates Rs 1.6M for Cricket Umpires office complex 2206
- Sangakkara is still scoring 2208
- Maliyadeva BMC and Army SC win titles 2206
- Galagedara conducts goal keeping course 2206
- MCA 'B' division 50-over League Commercial Credit Finance ‘B’ and MAS Silueta win 2206
- WP South beat Uva 2208
- SL women down Thailand to win plate 2203
- Sri Lanka win Plate for the second time 2199
- SLC using Cricketers as ‘guinea pigs’ – Pramodya 2211
- SL women wrestlers finish pointless 2202
- Night opening of Zoo Crouching Tiger, Open Zoo 1883
- CEB JTUA’s continuous strike A 10% salary hike solves the family conflict 2946
- Interim report of the Steering Committee of CA Deep divisions in political parties 2934
- Enter Arjuna Mahendran! 3841
- Interim report on constitutional reforms Salient features 3090
- We will be intransigent! 1884
- Betel chewing main cause of oral cancer – Dr. Hemantha Amarasinghe 3210
- Lankan lawmakers have a ‘unitary mindset’ -Jayampathy 2807
- Lanka Graphite gets mining licence 1881
- Over $600M FDI in first 6 months 1883
- Working on regulating informal sector – John 1881
- Govt scraps tea blending plans 1881
- Global trade recovery threatened by downside risks: WTO 1883
- On’ally 23% stake sold 1882
- Shares hit new one-week low on foreign sales 1878
- ‘Spot’ goes below Rs 153 Money Printing 0.5% of GDP 1876
- Fitch affirms Abans at ‘BBB+(lka)'; Outlook stable 1878
- Asian stocks pressured by NK tensions, German election 1879
- Executing an Executive order 2800
- What are The Best Laxative Foods? 2622
- YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER 3643
- What went wrong at the Apple Inc. iPhone X demo? 2538
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn 2538
- Latest addition to the iphone family 2532
- best workout songs 1873
- BOUNCE BACK: AN OPEN MIC 1989
- close look at dreaded Sakata Yoga 2602
- Fortune and misfortune depicted in horoscope 2607
- Know the zodiac sign of your partner 2604
- Time to read first letters to toddlers 2584
- Secret Mantra that cures headache 2584
- CIBF and impact of culture on economy 3471
- Classical Chinese Poetry with a modernist face – 2 3465
- Time Never Waits 3479
- Hindi Diwas-2017 Indo-Lanka Hindi Sammelan 3465
- Music for Three 3455
- Handa Eliyata Wedi Tiyanna 3455
- Books, glorious books! 1936
- Every little heart deserves the best care 1935
- IN THE NICK OF THE TIME BUT YET.. 1935
- The Sri Lankan who always went places 1923
- The treatment of Diabetic Foot 1936
- Sri Lankans and their right to know 1925