HSBC International Junior Golf C’ship’ on 10th August
By Hiru Kumara
CT Sports: Sri Lanka's Junior team is all set to compete against India, Pakistan and Bangladesh at the HSBC International Junior Golf Championship to be held at the Royal Colombo Golf Club (RCGC) course on 10th August.
This was revealed by the Golf Union along with HSBC officials at the press conference held at RCGC on Wednesday.
Each country will be represented by a team of six players consisting of two female and four male golfers under the age of 18. Sri Lanka team will be chosen after trials are held next week. The event was initiated by the Sri Lankan Golf Union (SLGU) as they aim to improve the standard of junior golf in Sri Lanka.
By indentifying the existing talent and nurturing the young players for national representation they try to close the gap between the current players at international level and future players.
HSBC, the major promoter of golf worldwide is the main sponsor of this tournament. Additionally the bank will open up new opportunities for young talent by setting up a grassroots golf programme in Sri Lanka called 'HSBC Future Lions'.
As patrons of the world's oldest major, the Open Championship, they were proud to launch such a programme in the United Kingdom in 2015.
They offered free golf hours for over 300 clubs in the whole of the UK. That was such a great success that they extended their offer to clubs in China, Singapore, Hong Kong and the United Arab Emirates in 2016. Now they are ready to launch the programme in Sri Lanka on 1st – 5th August 2017.
It will take place on various locations all over the country and is open to kids aged between 8 – 13 years. All current junior golfers are able to compete in the HSBC Junior Golf Championship held one day before the international tournament, on 9th August.
"Last year we sent juniors to compete in India for the first time and this gave us the idea to create an international Junior Tourney for National Junior team from Sri Lanka. We are happy HSBC came forward to support this championship and this will help our junior golfers to get more international exposure," said Priath Fernando President of Sri Lanka Golf Union.
Thushara Gunasekara – Head of Marketing and Communication HSBC also shared his views at the press briefing and said golf is supported globally by HSBC and as a long standing supporter of the game, their ambition is to open up the game of golf in Sri Lanka.
"We hope to open up new opportunities for young golfing talent with our HSBC future lion grassroots golf programme in Sri Lanka," said Gunasekara.
The HSBC Junior International Golf Championship is supported by several prestigious partners such as Cinnamon Life, MAS Kreeda, IMORICH from Elephant House, OLU Tropical Water and Callaway Golf. All of the committed partners hope to make this inaugural event a great success and expect to develop the game in Sri Lanka.
Expect crossovers in droves when elections are announced We want to take an anti-UNP struggle forward
- Bellanwila Chief Prelate’s Death Police await JSC report to probe Coroner’s complaint Samaraweera insists on immediate action
- UN’s Resident Coordinator Una McCauley no more
- EP Women LG membership hopefuls harassed
- Bank of Maldives soon in Colombo
- Male’s NCTC says 50 Maldivians in ISIS Two nabbed at BIA recently
- Having PC polls on PR system discussed
- Police arrest 2,500 in pre-dawn swoop
- Lanka ready to take in ‘failed’ asylum seekers
- Washington Must Rethink Policy on North Korea
- Commitments made to International community Government must be held accountable - Sampanthan
- Lankan worker in KSA named in employer’s will Rewarded for services 22 years later
- Chinese New Year from 1 to 4 March Independence Square Arcade lights up from 6 p.m. to 10p.m.
- SAITM u’grads write to President Pleased with enrolment to KDU
- Journalist Joe Seneviratne’s funeral today
- President scheduled to visit Delhi Will attend ISA conference and solar summit
- Hospital ship USNS Mercy arrives in Sri Lanka Humanitarian and disaster preparedness mission
- Diyatalawa bus explosion Army appoints CoI
- Divi Neguma case in June
- CIABOC driver nabbed with heroin
- SriLankan Unions form Alliance For sustainability
- Baby jumbo possession sans license Magistrate Gamage’s bail condition relaxed
- Drug lord D. Manju killed in shooting
- Amnesty Int’l charges SL backsliding on HR commitments
- Seeking release from Avant-Garde case Gota files revision petition
- Child porn on Whatsapp racket India’s CBI to write to SL
- Kandy SC hold edge over Navy SC
- Million rupee donation for PSJASL
- Sanadru scores 100 not out
- Four teams advance to quarters
- Australians in front against South Africa A
- Thurstan finish on top
- Sharma set to lead in Sri Lanka
- Christ King beat Loyola by 184 runs
- Kavindu, Shermila clocks fastest 200m times
- 1500 athletes participating
- Irfan, Sangakkara fashion Multan win
- Hundred men to cycle 445.9 Km
- FIFA trusts Russia for safe World Cup
- Tiafoe topples del Potro in Delray Beach
- League Starts today
- Wenger vows to attack Man City in final
- Kenya captain, coach and board president resign
- Aitken Spence regain archery crown
- D.S. Senanayake and Mahinda in final
- Cummins, Hazlewood in pace blitz
- SL apparel exports hit US$ 5B, highest ever Exports to EU increase by 27.2% after GSP+ reinstatement
- Hambantota Port takes quantum leap, expands services
- Coal imports hit US$ 261.5 million for 2017
- EasyHotel to raise £ 50M for budget hotel expansions
- Corruption Perception Index Sri Lanka improves 4 points to rank 91 Journalists continue to die for the truth in corrupt nations
- Government Securities Market NFOs top $61.39M
- South Asian Micro-Entrepreneurs to host microfinance conference
- Women earn up to 43% less at Barclays
- National Chamber one-day workshop ‘HR- Driving force in an organization’
- CIM Sri Lanka to host networking event for 2018
- NDB Wealth sponsors 2017 Sri Lanka National Junior Golf Ranking Awards
- Ceylinco General Insurance records excellent results in 2017
- HNB launches Gateway Student Savings Unit
- Nestlé delivers Rs 37.6 billion sales in 2017
- Commercial Bank ends 2017 on strong footing
- Sri Lanka Ports Authority records Rs 13B in Profit Before Tax for 2017
- COLOMBO CITY CENTRE BAGS ASIA’S BRANDS & LEADERS AWARDS 2017
- Renault celebrates 120 years
- Pumping fuel with NTB American Express and win iPhone X devices
- Softlogic Properties promotes Everest Apartments
- Concretes & Abstracts Shuffling the pack or packing the shuffle?
- Government legal Speaker
- CONSTITUTION ON REMOVAL OF PM
- Where there is no vision, there is no hope
- Pursuing Peace Subverting Government through foreign funding
- For women candidates Battle is far from over
- Who really understands their anguish as they cry out...Where are they? Office of Missing Persons is yet to be made operational
- Tree planting goes hi-tech with Thuru
- Komaali Kings Breathing life into Lankan Tamil cinema
- Creating rain where there is none Artificial rain generation to tackle droughts
- Yameen is ‘cleaning up’ decades of elite rule – Maldives Envoy
- Masses are more politically literate than politicians
- Gota is Lankan Putin – Gammanpila
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- Planetary combinations that nullify Arishta yogas
- Saraswathie –Consort of Maha Brahma
- Autobiography: Lighthouse of the Impossible Beyond conditioned mind and world
- Kitchen should be properly planned
- 7th House foretells nature of marriage
- K. S. Sivakumaran’s On Films Seen
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Anger in NE Nigeria over Boko Haram ‘abduction’ response
- Macerata, Italy’s reluctant immigration battleground
- How Dudley’s 30-day Govt got defeated