Bull kills itself after horns set on fire at Spanish fiesta
A bull killed itself on a wooden post after being sent into a terrified frenzy when it's horns were set on fire in front of a baying crowd.
Footage has emerged of the animal becoming confused and scared before it runs a short distance around a ring and hits its head on a wooden post in the small town of Foios in Valencia, Spain.
The animal, which died instantly, was initially tied to the post in front of the baying crowd during the "Bulls in the Street" festival – which is a scaled down version of Pamplona's famous Running of the Bulls festival.
It was then let go before it flailed around before hitting its head and slumping to the ground.
The bull had reportedly gored a man on the leg earlier that day, but it is not known whether this was the reason it was chosen to be tied to the post.
In footage, which was obtained by animal rights group Bulls Defenders United and posted on their Facebook page, the crowd's excitement appears to turn to shock as the animal hits the post, suggesting it's death was not planned.
In a comment on the video, the group said: "A bull despairs with the fire on its horns and crashes against the trunk to which it was tied.
"How many lives will still be taken in the name of traditions that are nothing but barbarity?"
Spanish towns and cities have come under intense criticism for the blood sport which sees hundreds of bulls die every year.
In 2010, the separatist region of Catalonia banned bullfighting, in a bid to differentiate itself with the rest of the country, but the law was struck down by Spain's highest court last year which ruled it encroached on the cultural heritage of its citizens.
Now the Balearic Islands, which include Majorca, Minorca and Ibiza, have voted to introduce strict laws which are expected to effectively make bullfighting unviable, including a ban on the use of horses and sharp implements the rings, a 10-minute limit on fights, and the prohibition of alcohol in stadiums.
The islands tried to make it completely illegal in 2016 but were blocked by the high court ruling.
In 2013, the national government declared the practice a "cultural asset" which allows the sport to draw national funding – a decision opposed by the majority of Spaniards according to recent polling.
Proposed crippling countrywide strike TO SAVE ECONOMY, ASSETS, NATURAL RESOURCES– D.J. RAJAKARUNA
Weather today 329
- The Sathyagraha was a success 4689
- Demanding release of Tamil political prisoners NPC to stage protest today 3940
- Drinking water scarce in drought hit Kilinochchi 3933
- FEM concerned about migrant workers’ welfare – Thalatha 3931
- Drinking water project for Madhu Church 3938
- Govt should keep its promises – Rathnapriya 3939
- Indian Customs nets 24kg of hashish bound for SL 3926
- Ryan Jayalath further remanded 3933
- NPC appoints new Ministers 3939
- Rs 100 M medical cover for students 3932
- Political uncertainty Bourse’s losses extend to Rs 147B Govt’s Market Borrowing Costs Increase For 2nd Week 3924
- Vithya murder case Vijayakala informed Police to arrest ‘Swiss Kumar’ – CID 3382
- Tax Bill worries GMOA 3933
- New bus fare policy in the works 3922
- Port City land Auction of first plot next year 4044
- TPA hails LG amendment bill 3924
- LG Elections Act JO to protest secret amendments 3927
- Yoshitha is a great chap – Sinniah 3959
- Douglas praises CT Editorial 3925
- Ensuring MSPs adhere to SIM laws TRC Given The Go Ahead 3926
- Rajitha’s personal medical bill Rs 10 M – JVP 4866
- Draft 20A tabled in Parliament 3928
- Foreign submarine detection Navy needs to enhance capabilities – New Navy Chief 3382
- Wijeyadasa sacked He failed to ‘show cause’ during the ‘grace period’ – Prime Minister Cabinet of Ministers collectively violated the Constitution – Wijeyadasa 3932
- The Space Trump Fills in America’s Racial Politics 4146
- RIP Sir Bruce 2126
- Eco-friendly LED light bulbs Migraine on the increase 2132
- Electric Dreams and Nightmares 2565
- Sri Lankans react to Game of Thrones spoilers 3234
- No-Confidence Motions Galore 3504
- SRI LANKA’S NATIONAL CRICKET INEPT PLANNING CAUSE OF CURRENT MORASS – MAHINDA WIJESINGHE 2246
- ‘Singer Cup’ Cricket St. Peter’s meet Sebastian’s in final 2227
- SLADA on high alert at Nationals 2232
- Maxwell suffers mild heatstroke in Bangladesh 2233
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-17 Div.I Cricket St. Servatius advance to final 2227
- Barca seeking 8.5m Euros from Neymar 2229
- Women’s Rugby World Cup England to face Kiwis in final 2129
- Nadal and Federer eye US Open swansong 2223
- Smith turns T20 coach 2224
- Sri Lanka Vs India – 2nd ODI Changes likely for Second ODI 2227
- Colombo Defence Seminar 2017 on 28-29 August Countering Violent Extremism: Global Trends 3206
- Computerized Court systems 3958
- Wear and tear of joints at a glance 2724
- The quest for peace:Let us not ignore crime’s impact 2412
- Sri Lanka’s Hambantota Gambit 2708
- No reasons to object to Marapana’s appointment – GL 2678
- media sensationalizing Crime in Jaffna – Reginold Cooray 3116
- I believe that the current minister of justice must resign – Ashu 2728
- Listed companies’ earnings up 3% 2762
- Computer literacy up to 27.6% 2764
- ‘Sri Lanka has performed relatively well’ 2785
- LB Finance profit after tax up 3% to Rs 940M 2755
- Shares at 5-month low as Wijeyadasa goes 2759
- Rupee strengthens for second day 2760
- European Central Bank chief defends quantitative easing 2752
- Walmart joins Google to compete with amazon 2749
- Asia markets lose steam after Wall St rally 2748
- THE MYSTERIOUS ART OF APPLYING BRAKES TO A GROWING ECONOMY 2764
- New Constitution Prescription for unknown ailment 3387
- Why did Sri Lanka seek Chinese investments in ports? 3404
- Political administration Adopting a holistic approach 1303
- Six things to do in Sri Lanka 988
- Conquering Ella 982
- Signs of a Job Burnout Should I Quit or Not? 988
- Power of Candles 1108
- An Artful Raconteuse of Mediocrity- Kanchana Priyakantha 1127
- prelate who promoted Buddhist studies in British era 2758
- Principles underlying planetary combinations Understanding and Interpreting their results 2751
- CAUSE OF DEATH- 2 2739
- How to identify 22nd Derkanadhipati 2708
- Shadow planets transit new Houses 2712
- Cinema of Attraction 4501
- The global and local in Hong Kong cinema 4564
- Pakistani Cinema Had Its Own Way of Looking at Partition Too 4250
- Locarno: Sri Lanka’s Sky Entertainers Presents Lineup at Open Doors Lab 4338
- Fitting Social critique 4817
- Collection of critical essays 4213
- Knowledge on the go 2109
- Anxiety: the 21st century pandemic 2265
- Prawn farming – a delicious destruction 2144
- When you hit rock bottom 2172
- Electronic waste – a looming threat 2096
- The humble roti revamped 2105