Ravi K. should be jailed! – Bandula Gunawardena
WITH RAVI LADDUWAHETTY
Colombo District Joint Opposition MP Bandula Gunawardena said yesterday that Foreign Minister Ravi Karunanayake should be arrested and jailed for the crimes he committed during his tenure as Finance Minister.
Gunawardena, who was also Minister of Rural Economy and Deputy Minister of Finance during the abridged United National Front Government of 2001-2004, said that Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and the entire Government was embarrassed by the actions of Karunanayake and former Central Bank Governor Arjuna Mahendran whom he trusted and appointed. Even in the Buddhist scriptures, the Maha Mangala Sutra says associate the wise and not the foolish and worship those worthy of worship (Asevanacha Balanan, Pandithanancha Sevana, Poojacha Poojaneeyanan, Ethan Mangala Muttamang).
Here, he is in conversation with Ceylon Today.
? What are your thoughts on the current political impasse with Minister of Foreign Affairs Ravi Karunanayake being pressurized to resign in the wake of the findings of the Presidential Commission of Inquiry into the Central Bank Bond Scam?
A: This is a very serious issue. If he does not resign, he should be arrested and jailed! He should be jailed for a large number of reasons. One thing is that he has been a party to some of the biggest frauds, which happened in the annals of independent Sri Lanka while he held the portfolio of Finance. Then, secondly, there have been sweeping allegations against him that the Joint Opposition has this announced with proof both within Parliament and outside. Thirdly, the JO has lodged series corruption charges against him in the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC). Those circumstances are bad enough and merit his arrest.
? What are the other charges and allegations against him that the JO has levelled?
A: He has also violated the Money Laundering Prevention Act No. 5 of 2006. In addition, he has violated the Financial Transactions Reporting Act No. 6 of 2006. Under the Gazette Notification 1951/13 of 27 January 2015, it has been revealed that there have been a large number of business transactions that he has been involved in that he has not been able to declare. In another case of conflict of interest, there was a Court case being heard in relation to another money laundering case at the time he was being sworn in as Finance Minister. The presiding Judge went on retirement, but she has ruled that there could be an appeal made.
There is also incriminating evidence that there has been a close relationship between Karunanayake and the chief suspect in the Central Bank Bond Scam, Arjun Aloysius where the immediate loss of the Bond Scam to the Central Bank and the country was well over Rs 10 billion. He should also be faulted for the complete breakdown of the economy, and where he has violated Finance Act No. 11 of 1963 in relation to the Finance Minister's role in the operation and the management of Lotteries as well, bringing it under the aegis of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He has done all this while fraudulently giving duty concessions for motor cars which have been unravelled by the Special Presidential Commission, according to the findings of the Customs.
Then, for 2015, 2016 and the half of 2017, all key economic indicators such as revenue, debt servicing, savings, balance of payments, prices, investments and others, have all gone awry and backwards. The running of the government has been according to the whims and fancies of the then Finance Minister. The Annual Report of the Ministry of Finance on page 364 says that according to the Fiscal Management Responsibility Act, the government debt should not exceed 80% of GDP. This also has been flouted in all three years.
The report said that the total debt was Rs 9,864,512 million which is 83% of the GDP. This is the report of the Auditor General as stated in the Ministry Annual Report.
So, after committing all these crimes, if he is not arrested and jailed he will be exerting pressures on all those who give evidence against him.
The funniest part of the story is there have been far less crimes committed by JO party leaders like Wimal Weerawansa and Udaya Gammanpila and they were jailed. It is now Karunanayake's turn. The entire nation is awaiting justice.
? So, are you saying that just because he resigns, does that mean that he would be absolved from all the crimes he committed?
A: We just have no problem with whatever office he holds within the UNP, whether he is the Assistant Leader or the Deputy Leader or the Leader himself or whatever. It will be the voters who will be giving their verdict at the elections.
But the irony is that he and the others in the UNP accused former President Mahinda Rajapaksa, who salvaged this nation from the most ruthless guerrilla group in the world, of being a rogue! They said that he should be arrested as he was the one who ruined this country beyond redemption. That is not all. He and the other members of the UNP alleged that the entire Cabinet, the business community, all government officials and Customs Officers were corrupt.
They said that they were the virtuous regime which was to bring in good governance after ousting the previous regime. These have been reported and oriented in the Hansards as well. Sri Lanka could have added to its political history a minister who was standing naked in a glass house and throwing stones.
It would have been to his honour, the UNP's honour and the country's honour if he managed the country's Balance Sheet and not his personal Balance Sheet and without seeking personal favours while misusing the powers of officialdom. He should have taken an example from former Finance Ministers J.R. Jayewardene, U.B. Wanninayake and Dr. N.M. Perera. In sharp contrast, Ravi Karunanayake was appointed Finance Minister while his Court case was being examined on his alleged foreign exchange frauds.
It is up to him to resign and clear his name after all the impartial inquiries are cleared.
Then, if he comes unscathed, we will hold a special celebration in Parliament for him. We are not prepared to accept him as a clean individual until he clears his name.
? So, in your opinion, what is the estimated loss to the economy from his transactions from the Bond Scam downwards?
A: It is also tragic that no one has done a real estimate in real terms of the economic losses following the two-year tenure of Ravi Karunanayake as Finance Minister.
No one has estimated the opportunity costs of the Bond Scam. No one knows the impact on the interest rates or the direct impact on the foreign direct investments.
There were a large number of foreign investors who invested in the Government Securities who pulled out their investments due to the lack of confidence in the government. There was the massive devaluation of the Rupee due to the loss of confidence in the country and the Rupee fell from Rs 131 to the Dollar to Rs 155.
The National Debt has also increased by billions due to this. I believe that the total opportunity cost of this would be Rs 1 trillion or Rs 1,000 billion! This is an amount that could have been drawn to the Tax Department as revenue if all the goods were taxed.
? The Prime Minister brought the Central Bank under his purview to ensure better management. He trusted Finance Minister Ravi Karunanayake and Central Bank Governor Arjuna Mahendran as they knew each other from their youth.
A:Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and the entire government were embarrassed by the actions of Karunanayake, Central Bank Governor Arjuna Mahendran whom he trusted and appointed. Even in the Buddhist scriptures, the Maha Mangala Sutra says associate the wise and not the foolish and worship those worthy of worship (Asevanacha Balanan, Pandithanancha Sevana, Poojacha Poojaneeyanan, Ethan Mangala Muttamang).
He brought Mahendran who was a Singaporean citizen and who could not even be a Sri Lankan citizen, to Sri Lanka and appointed him as Central Bank Governor. It was he who also recommended to President Sirisena to appoint Karunanayake as Finance Minister. It was he who appointed a three-member Sirikotha Committee of Lawyers to probe the Bond Scam.
All I have to tell the Prime Minister is that however, good you are, this is what happens to you, when you associate with bad people. I wish you to recall the media having a field day when I said that a family could eat and live for a month on Rs 2,500.
Even the cartoonists attacked me right through.
Here is an instance where the country has seen the largest daylight robbery in contemporary history but nobody is uttering a whimper on this matter!
When this Rs 2,500 story broke and when they nicknamed me as Rs 2,500, I then said that if they prove that I have robbed even a Rupee and fed my children, I will go to Galle Face, cut my belly and die! Then there was pin drop silence! Now, it is up to Ravi Karunanayake to prove that he could be exonerated of all charges.
Expect crossovers in droves when elections are announced We want to take an anti-UNP struggle forward
- UN damns Lanka 14,000 minors in childcare centres Calls for urgent reforms
- Russia restricts Lanka tea over beetle scare Top-level delegation off to Moscow
- Call to criminalize marital rape Justice Ministry seeks Cabinet approval
- Jumbo killings Armed protection unit to be set up Fines, jail terms to be increased
- Crossovers loom prior to polls
- SC issues notice on Elections Chief
- Jilted SLFP shuns JO forever
- CEB TU threatens strike Gives 18th as ultimatum
- Gnanasara Thera’s request for foreign travel denied
- Chinese envoy says OBOR will take Sino-Lanka ties to new level
- Police Chief in pre-poll warning Errant officers will be dealt with strictly
- Court extends Stay Order on Gota case
- Sriyani as State Minister of PCs and LG JO crossover pledged support for MS
- Rains to prevail Landslide warning to Galle, Kalutara to be reviewed
- BJP lauds ‘Ram Setu’ findings Hits out at critics
- Two held for impersonation at exam centre
- Female Genital Mutilation Advice sought from medical experts
- Hambantota Port to China India raises security concerns
- Indian Air Force Chief at passing out parade
- Statement from the Embassy of the State of Palestine
- LG Governance first to collapse in N&E
- Asgiriya Secy criticizes Govt
- Namal’s Hello Corp case on 13 December
- Attanayake’s foreign travel request Court to consider on 4 Dec
- Drugs & alcohol abuse in NE Religious reps to address issue
- Interesting battle at Havelock Park
- Thurstan win inaugural golf tourney
- History making Pulisic US men’s footballer of the year
- Knicks down Nets despite early exit for Porzingis
- 34th Mercantile Individual Tournament 2017 McLarens shuttlers Overall Champions
- Retired Hewitt takes tilt at Aussie Open doubles
- Lamborghini World Final 2017 Malagamuwa finishes third
- Committee clears Thilaka as SL coach
- Basnayake uncontested president at SLCF
- Premier League Club Cricket Primosh scores second ton
- Vinod and Taniya win Junior golf titles
- Taveesh wins two Gold medals
- Austin Waugh, in Australia's U-19
- CH come back to win
- Smith foils England again
- Emphatic win for CR
- No Malinga in T20 squad
- ‘Singer Trophy’ Under-19 Cricket Paceman Bandara steers Kingwood
- Federer voted BBC overseas sports personality of the year
- SLC looking to re-launch showpiece T20 league
- Astron wins again at SLIM NASCO 2017
- NDB brings Santa to the doorstep
- Com Bank opens branch No. 259 in Yatiyantota
- Amãna Takaful relocates Matale Branch
- Lotus Tyres rewards sales agents
- DFCC Bank sponsors 2017 Inter-School Golf Tournament
- Huawei announces Christmas promotion
- Elephant House recognized by Interbrand
- Singer (Sri Lanka) partners with Pan Asia Bank
- Disney deal suggests the Tax bill may mean little for the economy
- Commonwealth Bank admits failures in money laundering case
- Japanese business confidence hits 11-year high
- Eurozone economy to grow at faster rate, says Central Bank
- SEC to mandate dual roles for CEOs & Chairmen
- Alumex to commence EU & Aus exports
- Fiscal Policy Act remains toothless: Governor
- Samantha Rajapaksa gives up all AMW posts
- 'Publish excuses for corporate governance non-compliance'
- Jetwing Symphony IPO oversubscribed
- Shares recover from an 8-month low
- Christmas cheer is in the air!
- So, this is Christmas!
- A Time of Gifts Winding up
- Landmine deaths soar in 2016 With record number of child victims monitors
- Unravelling Nietzsche’s ‘death of God’ mystery
- Canada’s pivot to China hits a snag
- Brexit: The UK’s four options
- When the heart calls out, on a starry night
- On eve of climate summit Macron reminds Trump of ‘responsibility to history’
- FGM/FGC Victims speak out
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Alleged human rights violations Lord Naseby defends Sri Lanka
- Neecha Dosha of planets and how it is cancelled Neechabhanga Rajayoga
- Vastu defects and bathrooms
- Are you endowed with Pancha Maha PurushaYoga?
- God Aiyanayake: Guardian Deity of Jungle and Village
- Good thoughts eliminate bad planetary influence
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Silvia Senanayake Dazzles at Mrs. Asia International
- Let’s Taco Colombo
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENNETTE MULLED WINE
- Hunger gnaws at Rohingya Children in camps
- Defeating IS Russia has ‘accomplished’ task
- Saudi Princess Ameera Aidan fights sex exploitation
- Hacking into the gate
- Review: A Bad Moms Christmas Relatable holiday humour
- A must watch superhero film!