Rooney landmark 200th goal a ‘sweet moment’
Everton star Wayne Rooney said becoming only the second person to score 200 Premier League goals when he netted in the 1-1 draw with Manchester City on Monday was a sweet moment.
The 31-year-old, who joined former England and Newcastle United great Alan Shearer in reaching the 200-goal landmark, added he was sure fans from his former club Manchester United would have enjoyed it too.
Rooney rejoined Everton, the club where he made his name as a teenager, from United in the close season after he became a peripheral figure there under Jose Mourinho.
"It was nice," Rooney, who will do well to pass Shearer's mark of 260, told Sky Sports. "To do it today in such an important game for us, with tough games coming up, it was a sweet moment and I am sure the red half of Manchester will have enjoyed it as well."
Rooney, who also scored in their opening 1-0 win over Stoke City, said that people shouldn't be surprised he covered more ground in the match than his team-mates.
"It is not bad for someone who is not fit anymore and can't get about the pitch!" grinned Rooney.
"I have always put a shift in for the team and tonight is no different."
Rooney's lack of match time with United last season cost him his place in the England squad, but with one being named later this week and with his early-season form, a recall could be on the cards.
"I am focusing on Everton," said Rooney when asked about his chances of a call-up.
"I am sure I will speak to England Manager Gareth Southgate over the next few days and we will see what happens."
Everton Manager Ronald Koeman – who has spent heavily in the close season – said he had expected Rooney's early sparkle.
"I am not surprised about Wayne Rooney," Koeman told Sky Sports.
"I know how eager he was to come back to Everton. We are really happy that he is back."
Expect crossovers in droves when elections are announced We want to take an anti-UNP struggle forward
- Angry President says Enough is enough
- Sirisena tells Cabinet why SC opinion sought To plan development projects accordingly
- BASL to meet Prez and PM Regarding detrimental statements made by politicos
- Tipsy tussle Cabinet withdraws gazette notification Ban on sale of alcohol to women to remain
- DWC, Police & Armed Forces unite National plan to tackle wildlife related crimes
- NCPA employees union claims: Protector of children employing abuser EANCPA urges Govt to put in place a Child Protection System
- 88-year -old mother of 4 left for dead Bandaragama Police saves the day
- Rejection of SLPP Maharagama MC nominations Court to hear petitions on 19th
- National Child Protection Authority Certain officials under-qualified – Employees Union
- Puzzled by electoral system & disillusioned Public not keen on voting – SANASA
- Malik visits Geneva SL to engage with WEF
- Bond scam debate debacle COPE Chair criticizes Govt
- Threat of further inflationary pressure MER at its lowest
- Edu, info and outreach essential in legislation to ban FGC - Sahiyo
- Cooperation in IT & Electronics Govt signs MoU with India
- Police arrest school bus driver Sans licence, with disabled elbow and hearing defect
- Indian Minister calls on President
- PR Anthonis Memorial Oration on 22 Jan
- LG polls Rival candidate disrupts TNA meeting
- Navy nab 16 Indian fishers
- `Jallicut’ in Kilinochchi
- Thanks giving to reservoir
- Students mark Thai Pongal
- APPGT calls on SL Govt Implement UNHRC resolution
- Aussie U’grads visit SEUSL
- Havies dominate Army
- Djokovic and Sharapova back in business
- Mahrez worth over £100m to Leicester Puel
- Man United put Sanchez saga aside to see off Stoke
- Stokes charged with affray over nightclub fight
- Kiwis win again
- Death of K.Mathivanan’s mother
- Jithara wins double crown
- SLC provides equipment to 14 Clubs
- MCA ‘C’ Division – 50 Overs League Chandula shines for Kanrich Finance
- KDHA 7-a-side hockey Old Kingswoodians emerge champions
- Virat Kohli fined
- Royal Rugby Fiesta on 21 January
- ‘Chandika can’t score runs or take wickets’
- Sri Lanka eying new era
- Du Plessis makes slow progress
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup v
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Gurukula home for lunch
- Parents and coaches criticize SLTT Failure to distribute Rs 1.2 million
- Selection of volleyball coaches Law violators to attend Interview?
- India and Sri Lanka expand IT cooperation
- edotco launches Sri Lanka’s first Smart Lamp Pole on Marine Drive
- Sri Lanka’s e-Commerce transactions up 28% YoY in December: Visa
- Say Hello to 2018 with Emirates
- AIA Real Rewards sees over 7,000 winners in 2017
- Arpico’s ‘Insurance for the living’
- Germany to add China’s yuan to currency reserves
- Lanka Tiles awarded for Social Dialogue and Workplace Collaboration
- The digitization of marketing: A closer look
- eZ Cash rolls out first phase of ATMs in the North
- Islamic Finance Forum, South Asia HNB Al Najaah bags 3 awards
- PickMe recognized at e-Swabhimani Awards
- Ultimate Motorworks launches workshop for high-end vehicles
- Allianz Sisu Diriya scholarships for Grade 5 exam toppers
- Ceylon Leather Products relaunches DI brand
- CATIC holds New Year sports function for China - SL friendship
- NDB relocates Ratnapura branch
- Most Asian markets edge higher
- 2017 apparel earnings to hit $4.7 B Rishad
- SL fails to stick to two IMF benchmarks
- Imposing Civic Liability for the Bond Scam
- With rebel ceasefire in tatters Fears of fresh displacement in Colombia –UN
- The March of Folly Dr. Ranjith Atapattu, an exemplary figure
- Liberia’s development at risk
- Politicos’ image plummets to lowest ebb
- What’s up with the weather?
- Gay and intersex asylum seekers Britain safe haven from persecution
- ‘We don’t want to fool the Sinhalese and get our dues’
- Rohingya insurgents say 10 found in Myanmar grave ‘innocent civilians’
- Thalaivar’s New Avatar
- Upcoming LG Elections a referendum
- No political solution for Tamil grievances in sight – Ananthy Sasitharan
- Division in SLFP main reason for UNP victory
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Planetary combines that foreshadow misfortune for father
- Pirith chants for abundant harvest
- Venus into Capricorn
- Vastu and Domestic Animals
- Yoga for Children and Adults with Disabilities
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Trump’s ‘madman’ ACT scared N. Korea to talks
- Calls for ‘revenge’ Israeli settler killed in attack
- Banning of Colombo Journal First English Newspaper
- Sri Lankan author publishes for the world
- Broadway brought to our own shores
- Celebrating the harvest