What Will Apple's New iPhone Be Called?
While Apple has kept understandably quiet about its next iPhones, incessant leaks have painted a picture of what we can expect: a new design with an OLED screen that dominates the phone's front, a 3D sensor for facial recognition and the removal of the home button are all part of Apple's next major iPhone, according to multiple reports.
But one piece of information that's been less consistently bandied by rumormongers is what, precisely, Apple plans to call its next-gen smartphones. On September 12, the company is widely expected to debut three new iPhones: a 10-year anniversary edition iPhone that will incorporate the changes mentioned above, and two new models that update the current iPhone 7 and 7 Plus models.
Here's what we know so far about what these new phones might be called.
iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus
If Apple follows the naming convention it's established in recent years, updated versions of Apple's current iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus will be called the iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus. Since the iPhone 4s launched in 2011, Apple has tick-tocked between giving its new smartphones a name with a single whole number and a name with the letter "s" tagged on every other year.
These "s" generation iPhones typically include new technologies while maintaining the same form factor as their predecessors: the iPhone 4s looked just like the iPhone 4 but introduced Siri, for instance. Similarly, the iPhone 5s was the same size and shape as the iPhone 5, but was the first to have Touch ID. As this is a "tock" year, rumors suggest these new iPhones will run on the same processor as Apple's 10th anniversary edition iPhone, but it's unclear if they'll land any of the high-end model's other bells and whistles.
If Apple does release an iPhone 7s and 7s Plus next month, similar logic — calibrated for this being the iPhone's celebratory 10th anniversary — suggests that a rumored premium model will be called the iPhone 8. This would follow from Apple's history of revamping the iPhone's form factor with each singular whole number generation.
But a recent report from 9to5Mac suggests the rumor mill may have this one wrong. Instead of adding an 's' to the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus' successors, Apple may instead call them the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, says this report, which cites insider information obtained from third-party iPhone case makers. If true, it means that Apple views these phones as sufficiently advanced to brand them as next-generational, not just iterative updates to the current models.
If the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus' successors are in fact to be an iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, where does that leave the rumored premium edition iPhone? According to the same 9to5Mac report, Apple plans to name its 10th anniversary smartphone the iPhone Edition. This isn't the first time someone's suggested as much: back in March, Japanese blog Macotakara reported the same.
Another rumored possible name for Apple's 10th anniversary iPhone is simply iPhone X, where the "X" stands for the Roman numeral, pronounced "ten" just as when you say "OS X." Longtime Apple analyst and Loup Ventures managing partner Gene Munster believes Apple will choose this name, skipping '9' to ring in the iPhone's 10th anniversary. VentureBeat's Evan Blass, who has a steady track record reporting on unreleased smartphones, also said he's heard iPhone X as a possible name for Apple's high-end iPhone.
iPhone ProProminent Apple blogger John Gruber suspects that Apple could call the special edition iPhone the iPhone Pro or iPhone 8 Pro. If so, the title would fit with the nomenclature Apple uses for its other premium products, the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro. It would thus convey the notion that the company's 10th anniversary iPhone is more for power users rather than mainstream smartphone shoppers.
Expect crossovers in droves when elections are announced We want to take an anti-UNP struggle forward
- Power Play in Syria: What Turkish Moves Mean For US And Russia
- Houthis’ Ballistic Missiles Triggering Regional War Or Concealed Iranian Tests?
- Zuma’s Fall: Why is South Africa So Divided?
- Karuna backs SLPP, set to meet Rajapaksa this week MR must merge North and East - Karuna
- Cry Sis! Women insist on 25% quota
- Ban on Philippine workers in Kuwait Increases demand for Lankans Job agents told to seize opportunity
- Lasantha murder suspects re-remanded
- Conference on Disarmament UNSG welcomes SL’s decision
- No show in Court Warrant re-issued on Jaliya
- Lankan maid commits suicide in Kuwait
- SEUSL VC advises new intake
- Aranayake landslide victims Families still languish homeless
- Sivalingam resigns as CWC Chair Thondaman takes over
- Academics come out in support of Ranil
- EC Chair meets Speaker Proposes reforming LG law
- Active Liability Management Bill presented to Parliament
- Govt to initiate artificial rain generation Projects near hydropower plants
- Karu writes to Maldivian counterpart Requests intervention in Malé crisis
- Politicos pontificate on LG Polls result Opposition’s dream of toppling Govt failed – Rajitha Sampanthan accuses MR of racism
- Decision on future of Unity Govt UPFA awaits SC interpretation Thilanga confirms Prez seeking SC opinion on PM’s removal
- More electorates than members - PAFFREL
- Considering the country at large Pro-Sirisena faction to stay in Govt - SB Dissanayake Demand significant changes to power structure
- UNP vows to protect President won’t let jo own him
- UNPers to stand by Ranil
- Range Bandara quits as UNP Anamaduwa Organizer
- Black Caps coach rejects call to scrap T20
- Richmond in comprehensive win
- Arsenal announce record shirt deal with Emirates
- Olympics reels as ‘clean’ Russian curler hit by doping case
- Kandy SC too good for Airmen
- Red Stars SC emerge division I champions
- Hundreds participate in CISM Run
- Australia’s most-capped female player Blackwell retires
- Kohli limps off as India beat South Africa in first T20
- Kvitova takes Qatar title to clinch top 10 return
- Real Madrid win eight-goal thriller
- Watson’s wait ends with third Riviera triumph
- Coleman breaks 60m indoor world record
- Federer wins Rotterdam for 97th title
- No majority in Galle UC
- Federer on top of the world
- Man Utd into Cup quarters
- Cavani, Neymar key as PSG rebound from Madrid gloom
- Barca grind out victory before Chelsea trip
- Kvitova powers through to Qatar final
- Global interest in Hilton and Hyatt Colombo Hotels
- New rule for hiring SL domestics in UAE
- Cost of construction to go up by 7% - RIU
- DIMO mulls expansion in Cambodia and other ASEAN countries
- BOC appoints new GM/CEO
- Sri Lanka Tourism promotes niche products in India
- ‘Spot’ falls 35 cents to Rs 155.35/45
- Facebook told to stop tracking in Belgium
- Asia trades higher as markets in China on holiday
- Banking restrictions - major barrier to Iran trade relations
- Foreign exits from GSM top $50M
- Seylan Group reports Profit-After-Tax over Rs 5 B
- Huawei to participate at Mobile World Congress 2018
- Fairway Holdings vertical luxury high rise apartments - Elements
- Maha Shivarathri Pooja at Sri Lanka Insurance
- Emirates transports UAE’s first satellite
- Indian Bank ramping up overseas operations
- OPEC and Shale keep oil prices at $60-$75
- EU joins global growth bandwagon
- CHINT launches ‘CHINT POWER Series’ switches and sockets
- Subramanian Swamy’s love-hate relationship with Sri Lanka
- Tea, haircuts and fish bones Letting the light into Pakistan
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Pursuing Peace The UN’s lack of accountability
- Current Marketing Practices Customer is King! Does it really apply to us?
- Writing project for young Syrian refugees
- The March of Folly A simple solution – Ranil goes
- Civil society group writes to EC, Speaker & Party Leaders DON’T default in implementing 25% quota for Women
- Give women more time to give birth, make choices - WHO
- President and PM are responsible for the election results
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep