Country Star Don Williams Dies at 78
Don Williams, an award-winning country singer with love ballads like "I Believe in You," has died. He was 78.
A statement from his publicist Kirt Webster said he died Friday after a short illness.
Williams had 17 No. 1 hits before retiring in 2016. His mellow sound influenced a later generation of singers including Joe Nichols and Josh Turner and Keith Urban has said Williams drew him to country music.
Williams, nicknamed "the Gentle Giant," had a rich voice, gentle delivery and storytelling style. He toured sparingly, did few media interviews and spent much of his time on his farm west of Nashville.
"It's one of those blessings and curses kind of things," Williams said in an interview with The Associated Press in 1994."If you have the talent, it's a blessing. But there's times that ... a lot of the prices that you have to pay to be a part of it is a curse. But as far as ... the way people have responded to what I've done, there's very few things in my life that I've done that come anywhere close to making you feel exhilarated and humbled and fulfilled and challenged and all that, all at the same time."
His hits included "I Believe in You," ''Lord, I Hope This Day Is Good," ''You're My Best Friend," ''Some Broken Hearts Never Mend,"
''Till the Rivers All Run Dry" and "Back in My Younger Days." At least one duet with Emmylou Harris made the charts, "If I Needed You" in 1981.
He was also popular overseas, touring in Europe and Africa and charting on British charts. Eric Clapton recorded his "We're More Than Friends" and Pete Townshend redid his "Til the Rivers All Run Dry."
"Don Williams offered calm, beauty, and a sense of wistful peace that is in short supply these days," said Kyle Young, CEO of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville, Tennessee, in a statement Friday. "His music will forever be a balm in troublesome times. Everyone who makes country music with grace, intelligence, and ageless intent will do so while standing on the shoulders of this gentle giant."
He won the Country Music Association's awards for best male vocalist and best single for "Tulsa Time" in 1978.
During his performances, he often walked onstage carrying a cup of coffee, sat on a barstool, sang and chatted amiably with the audience.
Williams also appeared in the movies "W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings" and "Smokey and the Bandit II."
"Farewell, the great Don Williams," said Rosanne Cash on Twitter and quoted from "Good Ole Boys Like Me": "'Those Williams boys, they still mean a lot to me/ Hank & Tennessee.' & Don, too."
"One of the greatest to ever sing a country song," wrote Rodney Atkins on Twitter. "I can't write a song without thinking about Don Williams songs. #RIPDonWilliams."
He was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2010, but missed the ceremony because he had bronchitis. His last studio album came out in 2014 and he was the subject of a tribute album this year that included performances of his hits by Lady Antebellum, Garth Brooks and Chris Stapleton.Williams was born in Floydada, Texas, and spent the early part of his career in rock, country and folk groups. He was a founding member of the Pozo Seco Singers, then started a solo career in 1971. His first No. 1 hit was "I Wouldn't Want to Live If You Didn't Love Me" and 42 of his 46 singles landed on the top 10 from 1974 to 1991.
Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done
Mahinda Rajapaksa :I did my best for the CountrySays Constitution allows him to become Prime Minister
- Modern slavery most prevalent in Africa followed by Asia and Pacific 2780
- Sexual dissatisfaction main cause of divorce in Iran 2822
- Oral cancer kills 3 daily 2,400 new patients each year 2822
- Lanka, Iran in prisoner swap Agreement to be signed soon 2771
- WAN perturbed over Disappearances Bill Government reneging on commitments 2781
- CaFFE decries PC Amendment Bill ‘Laughing mixture’ of hybrid electioneering 2776
- Social Innovation Lab 2769
- US training for Customs officials Strategic Trade Enforcement 2768
- Excavation in Gommunnakanda 450 families affected 2768
- Kamal Hassan enters politics 2801
- Mangala gets his first Rs 5k note 2769
- To Maximize Hambantota’s True Potential Recognize China’s Importance – Hang 2780
- Grenades found at SLIC 2762
- NFIs In GSM Pass Rs 80B 2766
- ‘Deranged’ Trump will pay dearly for UN speech – Kim 2764
- Extending Marine Drive ‘New tech’ to save S. Thomas’ – Kiriella 3026
- Amendments to LG ordinances Debate on 26 Sept 2766
- Stance on interim report JO MPs to seek MR’s view 2762
- Schoolchildren in ‘Osari Pota’ issue NCPA furious, launches full probe 2781
- Interim Report on Constitutional Amendments attacked Play on critical words risk country’s sovereignty – SP Gov 2767
- Talks between Sirisena & Deuba SAARC takes centre stage 2762
- Handunnetti says: Failed Airbus deal cost the Govt USD 125 M Halt production on orders to cut losses 2765
- Rebuilding Sri Lanka President Sirisena seeks US help 2767
- Soft liquor laws to be relaxed Move essential for tourism 2776
- Treasury Bonds Probe Undated letter a complete fabrication – ASG 2812
- Between men and women A yawning gap 2118
- Salient features of a new Constitution 2144
- A Time of Gifts The Byron Conference in Greece 2146
- How will coins and notes make up 100 million? 2155
- People’s worst enemy 2160
- Cricketers challenge Pramodya’s allegations 2473
- NOC not responsible in selection process - Hemasiri 2493
- Wilwara brace in vain as Kandy lose 23-24 2472
- Sri Lanka face uphill task in group A 2474
- Prima Champions Cup U-15 Provincials Cricket Western Province Central and Uva win 2465
- De Mazenod marks only win 2463
- Amazing Anitha vaults to new SL record 2639
- Over 350 rowers vying for honours 2459
- Burgher Association Cricket Sixes 2458
- 24th Richmond - Aloysius Annual Rugby Encounter Keen tussle expected in Galle today 2461
- Within the arc of Chinese influence 3216
- Big Ivan – Russia’s Bang! 2355
- Sri Lanka is a stable country now 2834
- Heading Hybrid Renewable Energy Lights Up Eluvaithivu Island 3026
- ‘Capacity To Pay’, ‘Ability To Pay’ Govt’s New Rates Question Tax Principles 3668
- Mother was a steadfast support to my father Chathurika Sirisena 4075
- I will take legal action against ‘footnote’ accusations – Sujeewa Senasinghe 3340
- We are making plans to topple the Government 3821
- Who Rules America? The Power Elite in the Time of Trump 2478
- How do you like your wine – with a cork or screw-cap? 2469
- Toys ‘R’ us bankruptcy How bad assumptions feed bad financial planning, creating failure 2469
- Financial companies need to reinvent 3025
- TEA REVENUE TOPS RS 150B 3026
- Inflation accelerates to 7.9% in August 3007
- Cyber threats: Global stock exchanges vigilant 3004
- Shares fall ending 5-day streak 3004
- Google signs $1.1B HTC smartphone deal 3012
- $ 77M Drained For Debt Servicing 2998
- Executing an Executive order 2767
- What are The Best Laxative Foods? 2585
- YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER 3606
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn 2510
- Latest addition to the iphone family 2502
- best workout songs 1845
- BOUNCE BACK: AN OPEN MIC 1961
- Cosplayer fame 2209
- Astrological clue to the nature of your progeny 2442
- Vasu Defects that Affect Business Places 2430
- Venus the planet of love 2426
- Egypt before Pharaohs: When Gods ruled the Earth 2396
- Omens connected with muscle twitching 2384
- Body of the Text 3105
- Academic approaches to peace building and reconciliation 3113
- Insights into the life of remarkable missionary 3146
- Theatre Critics 3065
- Jaffna International Cinema Festival 2017 (JaffnaICF 2017) 3089
- Grammar through Literature and A Thousand Voiced Choir 3067
- Animals in thirst 2753
- Enhancing life to the very end 2766
- Hearts break in silence 2755
- Awards for alumni at ‘the best school of all’ 2723
- Blue sky in warm champagne 2722
- A will of steel 2721