A possessed nuns 17th century devil letter has finally been translated
A letter written in code by a nun 'possessed by the devil' has finally been translated, more than 300 years after it was written.
Sister Maria Crocifissa della Concezione wrote 'this system works for no one' and that humans invented God in the rambling letter.
She believed she had been taken over by the devil who was using her hand to write with in 1676.
'God thinks he can free mortals,' it reads, then refers to the river of the underworld saying 'Perhaps now, Styx is certain'.
The letter was found at a convent in Sicily, where the nun had lived since she was 15.
She claimed she woke up one day and found the letter, with no recollection of who wrote it.
Scientists from the Ludum Science Centre in Catania finally managed to translate the letter, after running it through software on the dark web which is used by intelligence services to break codes.
It uses Latin, Ancient Greek, the runic alphabet and Arabic to try and make sense of the characters – and came up with some decipherable phrases.
Researchers said the nun was known to scream and faint at the altar of Palma di Montechiaro convent, saying the devil was trying to make her serve evil rather than good.
Not all of the letter could be translated, but enough could be to show the devilish nature of its content.
She described God and Jesus as 'dead weights' – a criminal heresy at the time.
'I personally believe that the nun had a good command of languages, which allowed her to invent the code, and may have suffered from a condition like schizophrenia, which made her imagine dialogues with the Devil,' Daniele Abate, director of the centre, told The Times.
He said the centre had been contacted by several Satanists after publishing its findings.
'The whole world is talking about our work,' a spokesman said.
Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done
Mahinda Rajapaksa :I did my best for the CountrySays Constitution allows him to become Prime Minister
- LG and PC polls next year – PM 3571
- Reactions to Suu Kyi’s speech 3586
- Govt to amend 20A 3580
- Arundika crosses over 3544
- PCoI probing bonds issue Mahendran a ‘foreign citizen’ 3903
- COPE Chief centre of contention in the House 3553
- Chairman NATA says: Increase tobacco taxes in line with income 3555
- Marking Anagarika Dharmapala’s 153rd B’day 3536
- Treasury Bonds Probe Examination of Palisena’s evidence ends 3560
- UNHCR says 30 Rohingya in SL No restrictions on Myanmar Visa – Immigration Dept 3559
- No official missive as yet 3566
- Court restricts Pindapatha to outer limits of K’goda town 3739
- If Disappearances Act is ratified in Parliament Eliya will take to the streets with the people 3546
- Suspect dies in Police custody 3537
- US GSP not claimed 3552
- Move to increase High Court Judges 3536
- 5th South Asia-China Friendship Forum 3549
- Toxicity in veggies and rice produced in A’pura 3538
- JO challenges Govt...Respect SC ruling, and have PC elections as planned 3535
- Ahangama gets new market complex 3527
- Chemistry paper leak Tutor & bro allowed bail 3526
- Sam meets heads of Colombo Port’s major client 3530
- Keppapilavu land owners to appeal to top brass 3532
- Why I Won’t Vote Unless Things Change 3583
- Transforming the United Nations:Countering the US Budget-Cut Threats 3526
- Anti-SAITM forces and the rule of law 3051
- The March of Folly Promoting Amity, 15 years late 2820
- These 10 probiotic rich foods are even better than Yoghurt 2744
- OMP: Accountability of a State 2655
- 153rd Birth Anniversary of Anagarika Dharmapala Sinhala Buddhist revivalist par excellence 2640
- It’ll be close - Hamilton warns of Ferrari F1 fight back 3347
- Neymar-Cavani penalty spat a ‘war of egos’ 3349
- British cyclist smashes record 3343
- Tyson Fury urges UK Anti-Doping to reach a decision 3345
- Bangladesh’s Rubel denied entry 3353
- Banned Rooney gets lift to training 3344
- An unforgettable week in Lahore 3343
- Rossi back on bike 3337
- Women’s Asia Rugby Sevens Series 2017 Hong Kong game important 3350
- Nuwara Eliya Junior Open Golf Championship Dhuvarshan takes inaugural boys title Tanya Balasuriya carries girls title 3343
- Big Ivan – Russia’s Bang! 2302
- Sri Lanka is a stable country now 2786
- Heading Hybrid Renewable Energy Lights Up Eluvaithivu Island 2814
- ‘Capacity To Pay’, ‘Ability To Pay’ Govt’s New Rates Question Tax Principles 3631
- Salawa inferno Victims still wait for compensation 3522
- We are making plans to topple the Government 3455
- We will not support the 20th Amendment – Suresh Premachandran 3089
- Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done 2896
- Crushed by debt and online rivals, Toys ‘R’ Us Seeks Bankruptcy 2646
- ABAF 2017 holds ‘Building a Great Start-up’ preview 2637
- Commercial Bank announces special rentals during 3-month ‘Leasing Vaaré’ 2642
- CIMA President David Stanford in town 2631
- Informal sector continues to be economically significant 2632
- OPPO launches Speedy Operation A71 in SL 2632
- Golden ratio behind data driven businesses 2634
- Office Spaces in Sri Lanka: Things to Know 2633
- TBWA the only SL agency awarded at AD STARS 2630
- ICT legal pioneer Jayantha Fernando honoured 2635
- Executing an Executive order 2717
- What are The Best Laxative Foods? 2527
- YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER 3575
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn 2462
- Latest addition to the iphone family 2464
- best workout songs 1802
- BOUNCE BACK: AN OPEN MIC 1930
- Cosplayer fame 2184
- Astrological clue to the nature of your progeny 2393
- Vasu Defects that Affect Business Places 2383
- Venus the planet of love 2387
- Egypt before Pharaohs: When Gods ruled the Earth 2366
- Omens connected with muscle twitching 2356
- Body of the Text 3056
- Academic approaches to peace building and reconciliation 3070
- Insights into the life of remarkable missionary 3100
- Theatre Critics 3033
- Jaffna International Cinema Festival 2017 (JaffnaICF 2017) 3051
- Grammar through Literature and A Thousand Voiced Choir 3034
- Animals in thirst 2703
- Enhancing life to the very end 2730
- Hearts break in silence 2711
- Awards for alumni at ‘the best school of all’ 2697
- Blue sky in warm champagne 2687
- A will of steel 2684