Rebel Wilson awarded A$4.5m in magazine defamation case
Actress Rebel Wilson has been awarded A$4.5m (£2.7m; $3.6m) in Australia's largest payout for a defamation case.
Wilson successfully argued that a series of magazine articles had wrongly portrayed her as a serial liar.
In June a jury unanimously sided with the star, who had claimed the articles stifled her career in Hollywood. She has said she will give the money away.
Bauer Media has always denied the articles were defamatory. A lawyer said it would consider the judgement.
Wilson sought A$7m during the trial but had offered to settle for A$200,000 before it went to court.
Justice John Dixon told the Supreme Court of Victoria that the defamation case was "unprecedented in this country" because of its international reach.
"Substantial vindication can only be achieved by an award of damages that underscores that Ms Wilson's reputation as an actress of integrity was wrongly damaged in a manner that affected her marketability in a huge worldwide marketplace," he said on Wednesday.
The Bridesmaids and Pitch Perfect actress was not in court on Wednesday, but she later tweeted that Bauer Media "viciously tried to take [her] down with a series of false articles" and "subjected [her] to a sustained and malicious attack".
"The judge accepted without qualification that I had an extremely high reputation and that the damage inflicted on me was substantial," she wrote.
Wilson sat in court for every day of the three-week trial and spent six days in the witness box.
She claimed that eight articles published by Bauer magazines in 2015 had portrayed her as a serial liar, and that this resulted in her being sacked from two feature films.
A six-woman jury rejected Bauer Media's arguments that the articles were substantially true, trivial and did not affect Wilson's acting career. A 12-person jury is not required for civil cases in Victoria.
Wilson said the verdict had exposed the "disgusting and disgraceful" conduct of some tabloid media.
Expect crossovers in droves when elections are announced We want to take an anti-UNP struggle forward
- Power Play in Syria: What Turkish Moves Mean For US And Russia
- Houthis’ Ballistic Missiles Triggering Regional War Or Concealed Iranian Tests?
- Zuma’s Fall: Why is South Africa So Divided?
- Karuna backs SLPP, set to meet Rajapaksa this week MR must merge North and East - Karuna
- Cry Sis! Women insist on 25% quota
- Ban on Philippine workers in Kuwait Increases demand for Lankans Job agents told to seize opportunity
- Lasantha murder suspects re-remanded
- Conference on Disarmament UNSG welcomes SL’s decision
- No show in Court Warrant re-issued on Jaliya
- Lankan maid commits suicide in Kuwait
- SEUSL VC advises new intake
- Aranayake landslide victims Families still languish homeless
- Sivalingam resigns as CWC Chair Thondaman takes over
- Academics come out in support of Ranil
- EC Chair meets Speaker Proposes reforming LG law
- Active Liability Management Bill presented to Parliament
- Govt to initiate artificial rain generation Projects near hydropower plants
- Karu writes to Maldivian counterpart Requests intervention in Malé crisis
- Politicos pontificate on LG Polls result Opposition’s dream of toppling Govt failed – Rajitha Sampanthan accuses MR of racism
- Decision on future of Unity Govt UPFA awaits SC interpretation Thilanga confirms Prez seeking SC opinion on PM’s removal
- More electorates than members - PAFFREL
- Considering the country at large Pro-Sirisena faction to stay in Govt - SB Dissanayake Demand significant changes to power structure
- UNP vows to protect President won’t let jo own him
- UNPers to stand by Ranil
- Range Bandara quits as UNP Anamaduwa Organizer
- Black Caps coach rejects call to scrap T20
- Richmond in comprehensive win
- Arsenal announce record shirt deal with Emirates
- Olympics reels as ‘clean’ Russian curler hit by doping case
- Kandy SC too good for Airmen
- Red Stars SC emerge division I champions
- Hundreds participate in CISM Run
- Australia’s most-capped female player Blackwell retires
- Kohli limps off as India beat South Africa in first T20
- Kvitova takes Qatar title to clinch top 10 return
- Real Madrid win eight-goal thriller
- Watson’s wait ends with third Riviera triumph
- Coleman breaks 60m indoor world record
- Federer wins Rotterdam for 97th title
- No majority in Galle UC
- Federer on top of the world
- Man Utd into Cup quarters
- Cavani, Neymar key as PSG rebound from Madrid gloom
- Barca grind out victory before Chelsea trip
- Kvitova powers through to Qatar final
- Global interest in Hilton and Hyatt Colombo Hotels
- New rule for hiring SL domestics in UAE
- Cost of construction to go up by 7% - RIU
- DIMO mulls expansion in Cambodia and other ASEAN countries
- BOC appoints new GM/CEO
- Sri Lanka Tourism promotes niche products in India
- ‘Spot’ falls 35 cents to Rs 155.35/45
- Facebook told to stop tracking in Belgium
- Asia trades higher as markets in China on holiday
- Banking restrictions - major barrier to Iran trade relations
- Foreign exits from GSM top $50M
- Seylan Group reports Profit-After-Tax over Rs 5 B
- Huawei to participate at Mobile World Congress 2018
- Fairway Holdings vertical luxury high rise apartments - Elements
- Maha Shivarathri Pooja at Sri Lanka Insurance
- Emirates transports UAE’s first satellite
- Indian Bank ramping up overseas operations
- OPEC and Shale keep oil prices at $60-$75
- EU joins global growth bandwagon
- CHINT launches ‘CHINT POWER Series’ switches and sockets
- Subramanian Swamy’s love-hate relationship with Sri Lanka
- Tea, haircuts and fish bones Letting the light into Pakistan
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Pursuing Peace The UN’s lack of accountability
- Current Marketing Practices Customer is King! Does it really apply to us?
- Writing project for young Syrian refugees
- The March of Folly A simple solution – Ranil goes
- Civil society group writes to EC, Speaker & Party Leaders DON’T default in implementing 25% quota for Women
- Give women more time to give birth, make choices - WHO
- President and PM are responsible for the election results
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep