Rebel Wilson awarded A$4.5m in magazine defamation case
Actress Rebel Wilson has been awarded A$4.5m (£2.7m; $3.6m) in Australia's largest payout for a defamation case.
Wilson successfully argued that a series of magazine articles had wrongly portrayed her as a serial liar.
In June a jury unanimously sided with the star, who had claimed the articles stifled her career in Hollywood. She has said she will give the money away.
Bauer Media has always denied the articles were defamatory. A lawyer said it would consider the judgement.
Wilson sought A$7m during the trial but had offered to settle for A$200,000 before it went to court.
Justice John Dixon told the Supreme Court of Victoria that the defamation case was "unprecedented in this country" because of its international reach.
"Substantial vindication can only be achieved by an award of damages that underscores that Ms Wilson's reputation as an actress of integrity was wrongly damaged in a manner that affected her marketability in a huge worldwide marketplace," he said on Wednesday.
The Bridesmaids and Pitch Perfect actress was not in court on Wednesday, but she later tweeted that Bauer Media "viciously tried to take [her] down with a series of false articles" and "subjected [her] to a sustained and malicious attack".
"The judge accepted without qualification that I had an extremely high reputation and that the damage inflicted on me was substantial," she wrote.
Wilson sat in court for every day of the three-week trial and spent six days in the witness box.
She claimed that eight articles published by Bauer magazines in 2015 had portrayed her as a serial liar, and that this resulted in her being sacked from two feature films.
A six-woman jury rejected Bauer Media's arguments that the articles were substantially true, trivial and did not affect Wilson's acting career. A 12-person jury is not required for civil cases in Victoria.
Wilson said the verdict had exposed the "disgusting and disgraceful" conduct of some tabloid media.
Expect crossovers in droves when elections are announced We want to take an anti-UNP struggle forward
- Trump gets it wrong again Asia tour unsuccessful
- Iranian leadership or hegemony? A response to Macron
- Robert Mugabe’s lucky break: he had Grace to act as lightning rod
- GoSL to utilize Rs 600M Indian housing grant
- Two CMC lifts grounded Urban Secy accused of negligence
- IUSF writes to MS and RW Offer SAITM students entry to State faculties
- Fracas at Alandurai SL Refugee Camp Four refugees stabbed
- Nobel Laureate Dr. Cardozo to visit North
- Policy forum on empowering women
- Tea exports up by 27%
- Petrol bomb hurled at SLTB bus
- Economic development in SL: ADB pledges US$ 4-5B for 2018-2022
- Malaka seeks relaxation of nightclub ban
- SL’s capital city should be in NCP Jayasekara
- Floods and landslides:Public response needs to improve DMC
- Anti-corruption drive Govt set to introduce National Action Plan
- JO requests EC to hold elections
- Modi assures Ranil India will supply tablet computers to Lankan students
- Bond scam probe SLFP CC seeks extension of PCoI
- Party leaders to discuss polls delay
- National flag row Sritharan, Harrison in fiery clash
- Regional drug intelligence centre to be set up Facilitated by UNODC
- No-faith motion against Faiszer
- Bangladesh War without end
- South Sudan Losing the last vestiges of moral fabric
- Minister demands stern action I requested SLR to suspend Kandy SC from ongoing league if they refuse - Dayasiri
- CH bring in freshers
- Chandimal wants Herath to come good India prepares fast green top pitches with S. Africa in mind
- Suspension of SLBA by BWF Minister should intervene to lift suspension
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Division II Schools Cricket St. John’s record second win
- Kolonnawa Chess Classic Open C’ship
- Open Chess Championship in Kurunegala
- Lyon roars with run-out to slow England
- Barca, Chelsea reach last 16 as Man Utd lose
- Kelaniya Campus Women’s Elle team tour Malaysia
- Hamilton targets win in Abu Dhabi
- Ceylinco Life Sports Festival
- SLC explores possibility of recruiting Hathurusingha
- NOC in disarray as IOC intervenes NOC forced to further delay holding the AGM
- Ashes captains continue war of words on series eve
- Adithya qualifies for main draw of WTA circuit
- Kolkata comeback a ‘morale booster’ – Saha
- Dialog Champions league Colombo FC beat Navy SC
- National Snooker Championship Hunt begins today for the winner
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Div.II (Second Round) Apeksha leads Joes to victory
- Directors and depositors up in arms
- DFCC Bank secures $30M from BlueOrchard
- CICT invests over $10M in Colombo Port
- BOC and PB studying legal implications
- Cinnamon, SriLankan offer Rs 20M wedding package
- ‘Spot’ strengthens by 15 cents
- Asian markets quiet after US Fed minutes
- Jetwing Surf Pottuvil to launch in December
- Dialog launches iPhone 8 and 8 Plus in Sri Lanka
- Banks’ Chief Internal Auditors appoint ExCo
- Zimbabwe needs immediate economic reforms, warns IMF
- Mobitel wins ‘Service Brand of the Year’ Gold
- Orion City Towers opened for bookings
- HR academic says sector builds people’s competence for work
- How AI is changing customer interaction
- Five ways to revive Zimbabwe’s economy
- What the analysts are saying
- Ms. Mein Schiff 01 at Colombo Port with 1,850 passengers
- ComBank & Hayleys Agri leasing promo supports farmers
- LAUGFS Health opens first stand-alone pharmacy
- LAW OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE Part XIX Joinder of Charges VIII
- Rice Revolution Role of Dairy Centres – Part II
- Pacific Islands:NZ considers visa for climate refugees
- Regulation of social media A desideratum to control fake news
- Global slavery About 40 million victims last year
- Princess Ameera’s allegations SLBFE to investigate Saudi Arabia out of bounds for employment for those under 25
- Friends like these
- Trade liberalization cycle Opening up the logistics and shipping sectors
- Geopolitics of Floating Bases And the New World Order
- China and Vietnam: Beyond Diplomacy
- JO has no deal with UNP - Lohan
- WignesWaran should resign – Rear Admiral Sarath Weerasekara
- Was the fuel crisis created to get rid of Arjuna ? IOC ship still off the seas of Trincomalee
- Tourists least concerned about liquor availability Reducing the price of beer a blunder! A gateway to all other drugs
- Plantar fasciitis That Intolerable Heel Ache
- An argument for a new Constitution
- PAST LIFE AND RULING PLANETS IN KRISHNAMURTHI PADHDHATHI
- Build before onset of Kona Masa
- Palms of road accident victims
- Want to get rid of malefic Saturn ?
- Installing doors and windows according to Vastu
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Conquering Fashion
- Gavin Ryan’s Salon Professionalism to the next level
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE THE CRANBERRY ADVENTURES
- Calamitous Earthquake in Iran
- Scientists warn of ‘giant leap backward’ at climate talks
- Death of Ananda Senaratne