27th Annual Soccer Encounter between St. Joseph’s and St. Peter’s Close encounter expected today
The 27th Josephian – Peterite annual soccer encounter for the Very Rev. Fr. Joe E. Wickramasinghe and Very Rev. Fr. Stanley Abeysekara Challenge Trophy will be played at the CR & FC ground commencing at 4:30 p.m. today.
The Junior matches which were introduced in 2009 to give the younger players a feel of the Big Match will be played this year as well. The Under-12 match for Rev. Fr. Noel Perera Challenge Shield will be played at 1:00 p.m. and the Under-14 match for Rev. Fr. Stanley Abeysekera Challenge Shield will be played at 2:00 p.m.
The traditional match between Old Joes and Old Peterites will be played at 2:45 p.m. for Rev Fr. Joe Wickramasinghe Challenge Trophy. This will be the 7th encounter with Old Joes leading this series by 5-1. The major attraction of this match is the participation of several past captains of both schools in the respective teams. This year's Old Joes team will have eight past captains – Peter Asirvatham, Jerome Ambrose, Sritharan Peeris, Mohamed Fazal, Angelo Aloysious, Vijai Weerasinghe, Sanjula Thilan Kalpa and Mayuraka Perera.
St. Joseph's will be led by third year coloursman Jason Fernando and is coached by AFC 'C' Licence holder and former National player Anura Sampath.
St. Peter's will be led by Veeriah Washikaran and is coached by Isuru Perera an old Peterite and a former National player.
While the recently revived Joe-Ben soccer encounter is one of the oldest encounters in the local soccer arena, the Joe-Pete soccer encounter is presently one of the oldest schools soccer encounters held annually without interruption.
The first Joe – Pete encounter was played in 1989 at the Sugathadasa Stadium and after a thrilling encounter the Joes won 1–0. The Joes were captained by Sudath Karunatilake and the Petes by Dinesh Perera.
The winning goal, which was also the first goal in this annual encounter, was scored by Shehan Daniel the vice captain.
St. Peter's lead the series 14–11 and have won the encounter during the last 2 years. The longest winning period for one school was from 2009 to 2013 when St. Joseph's kept hold of the trophy for 5 years. The biggest victory in the series was recorded by the champion Josephian team of 1991, led by talented playmaker Jerome Ambrose, as they thrashed the Peterites 5–1. Another interesting fact in the series is that four times the matches have ended in penalties and on all four occasions the Josephians have won, therefore, the Josephians have nerves of steel.
This year's Annual Soccer Encounter is organized by the Soccer Advisory Committee of St. Joseph's College under the chairmanship of E. Balendra Anthony. The Chief Guest will be Trevor Reckerman, Managing Director of Talisman Enterprises.
Jayson N. Fernando (Captain), J.T.S. Kurumbalapitiya (Vice Captain), J.A. Madushan, Nimesh Cooray, P.C. Rashmitha, H.M.P.M. Bandara, W.D.S. Bimsara, U.N. Dissanayake, Maxi L. Vais, N.M. Kodikara, N.V. George, M. Johnson, D.M.D. Dulshan, H.P.G. Thivanka, J.A.S. Renuja, L.H.H. Anjana, H.G.C. Pramantha, P.S. Sathsara, D.J.D.K. Rupasinghe, V.A.S. Perera, P.I.S. Fernando, Jonathan C. Thomas, A.S. L. de Silva, B.L.S.S. Pingho, R.J.K. Hendry.
V. Vasikaran, S. Thivanka, K. Siriwaradana, P. Ravichandran, M. Shabeer Razoonia, Miron Kelly, S. Yashmila, M.R. Ahamed, M. Fayadh, Dananjaya de Silva, Kavin Keshan, Kavish Kaushan, Daniel Magrath, Derrick Rony, A. Sanjeevan, E. Paul Raj, K. Wijesinghe, Ovindu L. Inosh, S. Ahamed, Prashan de Silva, Shevan Joel, Umar Inthikab, M. Veeriah, Krishan Arul.
Expect crossovers in droves when elections are announced We want to take an anti-UNP struggle forward
- UN damns Lanka 14,000 minors in childcare centres Calls for urgent reforms
- Russia restricts Lanka tea over beetle scare Top-level delegation off to Moscow
- Call to criminalize marital rape Justice Ministry seeks Cabinet approval
- Jumbo killings Armed protection unit to be set up Fines, jail terms to be increased
- Crossovers loom prior to polls
- SC issues notice on Elections Chief
- Jilted SLFP shuns JO forever
- CEB TU threatens strike Gives 18th as ultimatum
- Gnanasara Thera’s request for foreign travel denied
- Chinese envoy says OBOR will take Sino-Lanka ties to new level
- Police Chief in pre-poll warning Errant officers will be dealt with strictly
- Court extends Stay Order on Gota case
- Sriyani as State Minister of PCs and LG JO crossover pledged support for MS
- Rains to prevail Landslide warning to Galle, Kalutara to be reviewed
- BJP lauds ‘Ram Setu’ findings Hits out at critics
- Two held for impersonation at exam centre
- Female Genital Mutilation Advice sought from medical experts
- Hambantota Port to China India raises security concerns
- Indian Air Force Chief at passing out parade
- Statement from the Embassy of the State of Palestine
- LG Governance first to collapse in N&E
- Asgiriya Secy criticizes Govt
- Namal’s Hello Corp case on 13 December
- Attanayake’s foreign travel request Court to consider on 4 Dec
- Drugs & alcohol abuse in NE Religious reps to address issue
- Interesting battle at Havelock Park
- Thurstan win inaugural golf tourney
- History making Pulisic US men’s footballer of the year
- Knicks down Nets despite early exit for Porzingis
- 34th Mercantile Individual Tournament 2017 McLarens shuttlers Overall Champions
- Retired Hewitt takes tilt at Aussie Open doubles
- Lamborghini World Final 2017 Malagamuwa finishes third
- Committee clears Thilaka as SL coach
- Basnayake uncontested president at SLCF
- Premier League Club Cricket Primosh scores second ton
- Vinod and Taniya win Junior golf titles
- Taveesh wins two Gold medals
- Austin Waugh, in Australia's U-19
- CH come back to win
- Smith foils England again
- Emphatic win for CR
- No Malinga in T20 squad
- ‘Singer Trophy’ Under-19 Cricket Paceman Bandara steers Kingwood
- Federer voted BBC overseas sports personality of the year
- SLC looking to re-launch showpiece T20 league
- Astron wins again at SLIM NASCO 2017
- NDB brings Santa to the doorstep
- Com Bank opens branch No. 259 in Yatiyantota
- Amãna Takaful relocates Matale Branch
- Lotus Tyres rewards sales agents
- DFCC Bank sponsors 2017 Inter-School Golf Tournament
- Huawei announces Christmas promotion
- Elephant House recognized by Interbrand
- Singer (Sri Lanka) partners with Pan Asia Bank
- Disney deal suggests the Tax bill may mean little for the economy
- Commonwealth Bank admits failures in money laundering case
- Japanese business confidence hits 11-year high
- Eurozone economy to grow at faster rate, says Central Bank
- SEC to mandate dual roles for CEOs & Chairmen
- Alumex to commence EU & Aus exports
- Fiscal Policy Act remains toothless: Governor
- Samantha Rajapaksa gives up all AMW posts
- 'Publish excuses for corporate governance non-compliance'
- Jetwing Symphony IPO oversubscribed
- Shares recover from an 8-month low
- Christmas cheer is in the air!
- So, this is Christmas!
- A Time of Gifts Winding up
- Landmine deaths soar in 2016 With record number of child victims monitors
- Unravelling Nietzsche’s ‘death of God’ mystery
- Canada’s pivot to China hits a snag
- Brexit: The UK’s four options
- When the heart calls out, on a starry night
- On eve of climate summit Macron reminds Trump of ‘responsibility to history’
- FGM/FGC Victims speak out
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Alleged human rights violations Lord Naseby defends Sri Lanka
- Neecha Dosha of planets and how it is cancelled Neechabhanga Rajayoga
- Vastu defects and bathrooms
- Are you endowed with Pancha Maha PurushaYoga?
- God Aiyanayake: Guardian Deity of Jungle and Village
- Good thoughts eliminate bad planetary influence
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Silvia Senanayake Dazzles at Mrs. Asia International
- Let’s Taco Colombo
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENNETTE MULLED WINE
- Hunger gnaws at Rohingya Children in camps
- Defeating IS Russia has ‘accomplished’ task
- Saudi Princess Ameera Aidan fights sex exploitation
- Hacking into the gate
- Review: A Bad Moms Christmas Relatable holiday humour
- A must watch superhero film!