Hollywood mogul Weinstein accused of rape: New Yorker
Italian film star Asia Argento and two other women claim that disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein raped them, in a bombshell New Yorker expose published on Tuesday.
The women's allegations against the 65-year-old movie mogul, according to the magazine, include unwanted oral sex and forced oral and full sex. Weinstein denies all charges, according to a statement from his spokeswoman Sallie Hofmeister, circulated among US media.
The accusations will be seen as a hugely damaging escalation of the scandal engulfing the Oscar-winning producer, as the numerous allegations which led to his weekend sacking from The Weinstein Company had so far been limited to complaints about harassment.
New Yorker writer Ronan Farrow spent 10 months interviewing 13 women who reported they were harassed or assaulted by Weinstein.
Argento, the 42-year-old daughter of horror director Dario Argento, said Weinstein forced oral sex on her 20 years ago.
She told the publication she had maintained her silence until now for fear that Weinstein would "crush" her, adding: "I know he has crushed a lot of people before."
She said Weinstein, who has weighed up to 300 pounds (136 kilograms), terrified her due to his immense size.
"It wouldn't stop. It was a nightmare," she added, revealing that she had felt forced to pretend she was enjoying the attack in hopes that it would be over with sooner.
Lucia Evans, an aspiring actress, said she met Weinstein at the Miramax office in New York in 2004 and that he forced her to perform oral sex on him.
"I said, over and over, 'I don't want to do this, stop, don't,'" she told the New Yorker.
"I tried to get away, but maybe I didn't try hard enough. I didn't want to kick him or fight him."
Evans said she was overpowered and "just sort of gave up."
"That's the most horrible part of it, and that's why he's been able to do this for so long to so many women: people give up, and then they feel like it's their fault," she added.
Another woman, who was too afraid to allow her name to be published, told the New Yorker Weinstein brought her to a hotel room for a meeting.
He changed into a bathrobe, she said, and "forced himself on me sexually."
She felt "horror, disbelief, and shame," and thought about going to the police, but decided it would be a case of "he said, she said," and worried about how powerful his legal team would be, and how much she had to lose.
Expect crossovers in droves when elections are announced We want to take an anti-UNP struggle forward
- India joins Wassenaar Arrangement
- A story of two blockades New York City and Yemen
- Merkel’s Germany: Shaper or Taker of a United Europe?
- Wiggy request voters to elect honest politicians
- No Natural Disasters but man-made ones –Prof. Gomes
- Rejected nomination lists SLPP packed with incompetent people – Sagala
- ‘Samurdhi Shakthi’ to be launched To showcase Samurdhi families’ talents
- Chinese worker plunges to his death at Mahabage
- Garbage mounts at Gampaha Hospital Row over incinerator
- LG Elections JVP offers protection to ‘clean’ officials
- SLFP to launch manifesto this week
- President at SLMA
- Scuffle inside temple premises Chief Monk, two others injured
- Postal Unions threaten to Strike Demand for a ‘Closed Service’
- Russian ban on Lankan tea Govt ignored earlier warning - Udayanga
- Govt has no foreign policy - Namal
- CEB unions in strike threat Over simmering bonus issue
- Malaysian PM arrives
- Russian tea row President to contact Putin
- Beetle in Lankan tea shipment to Russia Exporter to be spared says Pethiyagoda
- Canadian Police probe ‘suspicious’ deaths of billionaire couple
- Stock Market Investor losses extend to Rs 94B
- Use of polythene in political rallies CEA to take on offenders
- Draft Legislation HRCSL advice not sought – UN Experts
- Drugs and drug users on the increase
- Sri Lanka dismissed for 215 in 3rd ODI
- Bowling in T10 can help T20 skills - Amir
- Dialog Champions League Java Lane beat Navy SC
- Army in nerve racking win
- Russia making progress over doping says Coe
- Australia close to Ashes glory
- County grind 'sucks pace' out of England quicks Finn
- Nidahas Trophy 2018 SL skipper formally invites India SLC
- One dead as fans clash after Algeria derby
- Real retains Club World Cup
- Ronaldo wants to retire at Real
- 31st NYSC-Rupavahini Volleyball Tournament CEB and SLAF win men’s/women’s titles
- City make it 16 in a row
- Dialog President’s Gold Cup Volleyball Championship finals commence today
- Premier League Inter Club Cricket Tournament High scoring draw at CCC
- Dhawan, spinners seal series for India
- Premier League – Tier ‘B’ Navy and Air Force win
- Visakhapatnam will favour the home team Batsmen to dominate decider
- Jadeja hits six sixes in an over
- Ntini’s son Thando in SA U-19 World Cup squad
- SLTB AND TEA CHAIRMEN ENDORSE NO PERIL, BUT AUCTION PRICES COULD DIP
- Commercial agriculture in Wet Zone will reap high rice yields CBSL Governor Dry Zone yields low, measures needed to arrest disturbing trend
- Treasury sells dollars to CBSL From H’tota Port proceeds
- Unions go back on their word - SriLankan Chairman
- Make up your minds – Harsha tells businessmen
- Recognition for SL power supplier
- Rupee down 2.54-2.61% YoY
- GDP rate shows positive trend
- Asian stocks come under pressure as dollar struggles
- Way forward for village power producers Team Up With Large Developers WB
- Workplace practices not fit for the New Year
- Brexit deal proves critics wrong - Theresa May
- WINNING GLOBAL CEO AWARD, MY SIGNATURE HONOUR Retired Kahawatte Plantations Plc Deputy Chairman and Watawala Plantations Plc Ceo, Dr. Daniel Vasanthakumar Seevaratnam reminisces
- IPM Sri Lanka crowned overall winner at NBEA 2017
- Desktop FriMi wins global Award
- CMA Sri Lanka graduation ceremony 2017
- LOLC Micro Credit felicitates Grade 5 scholarship high-flyers
- The Singing Christmas Tree comes alive once again at MLH
- Com Bank’s Vocational Training flagship CSR project
- Govt backtracks on anti-coal policy Two 600MW coal plants coming up
- Changing Political Horizons in Sri Lanka?
- Modi’s Gujarat:Installing a Rahul Gandhi Government
- Protect Wilpattu Movement set in motion 5K strong turnout march in peaceful protest to UN office & handover petition
- Concretes & Abstracts Faith, Wayside Shrines & Urban Sprawl
- TGTE using Lawyers to challenge SL’s 6th amendment
- Nat Assets during Prabhakaran’s and Ranil’s heydays
- Mexican drug wars:Women murders on the rise
- Ahead of the LG Polls Identifying 500,000 untagged Lankans!
- Indian movie moguls Avoiding the Weinstein effect
- New Land Draft BiLL Political wrangling hinders ironing out complex land issues
- Maithri should not sit in a Cabinet sans SLFPers
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- Sirisena Presidency - A Parallax View As foretold by Sobhitha Hamuduruwo
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Kemadruma Yoga An evil yoga cancelling all other favourable yogas
- Sun into Sagittarius ‘Kona Month’ has just begun
- Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
- Five Yoga Poses to Calm Your Mind
- Rahu in 7th House and marriage
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- I don’t get asked out
- Homemade apple & Chocolate Bodywash
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES Grinch Cupcakes
- New York Blast Terror charges filed against NY bomber
- Saga of Kohukumbure Rate Rala
- Attygalle murder and John Kotelawala Senior’s suicide