23 dead in 'catastrophic' California wildfires
More than 200 fire engines and firefighting crews from around the country were being rushed to California on Wednesday to help battle infernos which have left at least 23 people dead and thousands homeless.
"This is a serious, critical, catastrophic event," California fire chief Ken Pimlott told reporters. "We're not going to be out of the woods for a great number of days to come."
Pimlott said that after a respite on Tuesday winds kicked up again on Wednesday and the winds and dry conditions were hampering efforts to contain the blazes.
"We are still impacted by five years of drought," the director of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire) said.
"These fires were driven by the critically dry fuel bed," he added. "We are literally looking at explosive vegetation."
Pimlott said the death toll from the fires, among the deadliest ever in California, could be expected to go up further.
Thirteen of the deaths have occurred in Sonoma County, a wine-producing region which has been particularly hard hit, while six people have died in Mendocino County. There have been two deaths in Napa County and two in Yuba County.
Entire neighborhoods in Santa Rosa, a city of 175,000 which is the county seat of Sonoma County, have been reduced to ashes.
Thousands of people have been left homeless and 25,000 people have evacuated their homes in Sonoma County alone, according to officials.
- 285 missing -
More than 3,500 homes and businesses have been destroyed including several wineries in Sonoma and Napa counties, the heart of the state's wine production.
Six hundred people have been reported missing in Sonoma County, but more than half of them have been located, Sheriff Robert Giordano told reporters.
"There's still 285 on our missing list that we're looking for," he said.
Pimlott said firefighters were battling a total of 22 wildfires that have burned over 170,000 acres (68,800 hectares) and that reinforcements had been requested.
He said 170 fire engines had been ordered from the neighboring states of Arizona, Nevada, Oregon and Washington and another 154 engines from elsewhere around the country.
In addition, 60 firefighting crews from other states were on their way to California to provide assistance, he said.
"Our primary goal is to get these resources into the fires," Pimlott said.
He said 73 helicopters, 30 air tankers and nearly 8,000 firefighters were currently taking part in the effort to extinguish the blazes.
President Donald Trump has declared a major disaster in California, freeing up federal funding and resources to help fight the fires. And Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency in eight counties.
Bob Nelson, 53, stopped in his black pickup truck at a police roadblock near Santa Rosa, said he fled his home on Sunday and returned on Tuesday.
- 'Like a thief came in' -
"There was no damage," he said. "But then we got evacuated again.
"We don't know about our house now," Nelson told AFP. "I've got no idea. It's in the middle of two fires."
Michael Desmond, 63, does know, and the news is bad: his home was one of hundreds destroyed by the blaze in the Coffey Park neighborhood of Santa Rosa.
"I feel violated; like a thief came in," said Desmond, who sobbed as he surveyed the rubble of the house where he grew up.
Much of the damage in Santa Rosa can be seen from US Route 101, the north-south highway which runs from California through Oregon to Washington state.
The Sonoma County Hilton perched on a hill overlooking Route 101 is a ruin of charred wood and twisted metal, as is the nearby Fountaingrove Inn.
An enormous K-Mart store has been entirely destroyed with only a couple of blackened walls still standing.
Among the wineries which reportedly suffered damage were William Hill Estate Winery in Napa, Signorello Vineyards, Stags' Leap and Chimney Rock.
Forest fires are common in the western United States during dry, hot months but, with 21 deaths so far, this year's California fires are among the deadliest ever.
The Griffith Park fire in Los Angeles County in 1933 killed at least 29 people and 25 people died in the 1991 Oakland Hills fire.
Expect crossovers in droves when elections are announced We want to take an anti-UNP struggle forward
- Beetle in Lankan tea shipment to Russia Exporter to be spared says Pethiyagoda
- Canadian Police probe ‘suspicious’ deaths of billionaire couple
- Stock Market Investor losses extend to Rs 94B
- Use of polythene in political rallies CEA to take on offenders
- Draft Legislation HRCSL advice not sought – UN Experts
- Drugs and drug users on the increase
- No NICs for 500,000 Lankans 300,000 are registered voters Bulk without birth certificates
- Growth decelerates to 3.3%
- UN damns Lanka 14,000 minors in childcare centres Calls for urgent reforms
- Russia restricts Lanka tea over beetle scare Top-level delegation off to Moscow
- Call to criminalize marital rape Justice Ministry seeks Cabinet approval
- Jumbo killings Armed protection unit to be set up Fines, jail terms to be increased
- Crossovers loom prior to polls
- SC issues notice on Elections Chief
- Jilted SLFP shuns JO forever
- CEB TU threatens strike Gives 18th as ultimatum
- Gnanasara Thera’s request for foreign travel denied
- Chinese envoy says OBOR will take Sino-Lanka ties to new level
- Police Chief in pre-poll warning Errant officers will be dealt with strictly
- Court extends Stay Order on Gota case
- Sriyani as State Minister of PCs and LG JO crossover pledged support for MS
- Rains to prevail Landslide warning to Galle, Kalutara to be reviewed
- BJP lauds ‘Ram Setu’ findings Hits out at critics
- Two held for impersonation at exam centre
- Female Genital Mutilation Advice sought from medical experts
- Visakhapatnam will favour the home team Batsmen to dominate decider
- Jadeja hits six sixes in an over
- Ntini’s son Thando in SA U-19 World Cup squad
- Neves stunner guides Wolves
- Westbrook nets triple double for Thunder
- Don’t see me making a WI comeback - Dwayne Bravo
- FIFA threatens to boot Spain out of World Cup
- SL lose two matches in T10s
- Army can dominate Air Force
- Smith and Marsh put attack to sword
- Sri Lanka play two Tests and Tri series in Bangladesh
- Chiefs winners in Kandy 10s
- Interesting battle at Havelock Park
- Thurstan win inaugural golf tourney
- History making Pulisic US men’s footballer of the year
- Knicks down Nets despite early exit for Porzingis
- 34th Mercantile Individual Tournament 2017 McLarens shuttlers Overall Champions
- Retired Hewitt takes tilt at Aussie Open doubles
- Lamborghini World Final 2017 Malagamuwa finishes third
- Committee clears Thilaka as SL coach
- Govt backtracks on anti-coal policy Two 600MW coal plants coming up
- Lankan company in pioneering global innovation
- Increasing worker remittances: Not a sign of prosperity
- Russian ban on Sri Lankan tea imports Navin to rush to Russia Ban comes into effect tomorrow, despite preventive efforts
- Dialog, RPC in CSE’s S&P SL20
- ADB loans Government US$ 270 million
- Japan expands unilateral sanctions against North Korea
- Purchasing Managers’ Index accelerates
- THASL educates Deputy Principals on Hospitality Management
- Financial Intelligence Unit signs MoU with Sri Lanka Police
- US Embassy & ICTA organize Knowledge Sharing Session
- CIM announces 2017 Board of Trustees CIM to be headed by leading marketing talent from across the industry
- Bolstering tourism: Starting from the top
- HNB wins two at CA Sri Lanka Annual Report Awards 2017
- Subhash Pinnapola launches ‘Storybook’ creative agency
- Mother Sri Lanka Movement launches series of activities
- Assets for debt, a flawed strategy
- Envisioning the future of Digital Banking
- Bank of Ceylon launches digital passbook
- Siyapatha Finance opens new branch in Panadura
- Protect Wilpattu Movement set in motion 5K strong turnout march in peaceful protest to UN office & handover petition
- Concretes & Abstracts Faith, Wayside Shrines & Urban Sprawl
- TGTE using Lawyers to challenge SL’s 6th amendment
- Christmas cheer is in the air!
- So, this is Christmas!
- New Land Draft BiLL Political wrangling hinders ironing out complex land issues
- We (don’t) need a Messiah Champika has failed to maintain what Mangala designed and Gota delivered
- M12M on the campaign trail Spotlight on polls and criminal elements
- Lord Naseby vs the Sri Lanka Campaign War is over, but body count debate continues
- Women’s quota in LG elections Historic opportunity Elect qualified, capable women– not wives & relatives of thugs
- Maithri should not sit in a Cabinet sans SLFPers
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- Sirisena Presidency - A Parallax View As foretold by Sobhitha Hamuduruwo
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Kemadruma Yoga An evil yoga cancelling all other favourable yogas
- Sun into Sagittarius ‘Kona Month’ has just begun
- Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
- Five Yoga Poses to Calm Your Mind
- Rahu in 7th House and marriage
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- I don’t get asked out
- Homemade apple & Chocolate Bodywash
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES Grinch Cupcakes
- New York Blast Terror charges filed against NY bomber
- Saga of Kohukumbure Rate Rala
- Attygalle murder and John Kotelawala Senior’s suicide