‘Orumiththa Nadu’ and ‘Ayikkiya Nadu’ is mere word play TNA deceiving the people with word games
The Jaffna District MP, former Minister and the Leader of the Ealam People's Democratic Party (EPDP) Douglas Devananda said that Amendments are the Constitution needs to amended and interested parties should decide what Amendments are to be made. He added that the confusion between the Orumiththa Nadu and Ayikkiya Nadu is mere word play of the TNA to deceive the Tamil People.
Devananda denied any alliance with or support to Joint Opposition's Podu Jana Peramuna and stressed that he remains an independent party member. He believes that former President Mahinda Rajapaksa can be a good leader and win the people's hearts once again, as he might have realized by now the errors committed in the past.
Below are excerpts of the interview:
Many parties including the Maha Nayake Theras are in total opposition to the proposed Constitution. What is the stance of the EPDP in this regard?
A: Well, this is a democratic country and anyone has the right to express their views and religious leaders are no exception. I personally think that the Constitution should be amended. There are many parties and many views on how the changes are to be made and what provisions should be excluded or included.
From the perspective of the Tamil community, devolution of authority by the Constitution is very important. We look at the Constitutional Amendments in terms of devolution of powers, absence of which was, the cause for taking up arms by us, some decades ago.
Subsequently, with the signing of the Indo-Sri Lanka Pact, we were assimilated into the national flow with the expectation of putting an end to our problems in a democratic manner. As a result, Sri Lanka was introduced to the Provincial Council mechanism and the 13th Amendment was added to the Constitution. I would criticize the Tamil leadership for not making use of that in an advantageous manner towards winning the rights of the Tamil community.
With regard to the Constitutional Amendments, what we expect is the full implementation of the 13th Amendment.
What have you to say on the how some politicians in the Northern Province behaved when President Maithripala Sirisena paid a visit to Jaffna recently?
A: They staged a protest on behalf of the political prisoners and I think those politicians make use of thepolitical prisoners to get political mileage.
The issue of political prisoners should be discussed with the political leadership of the country because the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) proclaims that they are the sole representatives of the Tamil community. They also boast that they are the ones who spearheaded the move to bring this Government to power. Hence, it is their responsibility to discuss the problems faced by the Tamil community with the Government.
Yet, no political resolution has been implemented up to now. TNA only pays lip service to the problems of Tamils and keeps mum with regard to the indifference and inactivity of the Government over resolving issues of the Tamil people. They have failed to provide solutions to the problems of Tamils although they are influential in this Government.
What is your view of a true Opposition? And do you think that TNA serves its responsibility as the country's Opposition party?
A: An Opposition party is not supposed to oppose the ruling party in all contexts, but should be wise enough to oppose the ruling party if it engages in something which is detrimental or harmful to the country and its inhabitants.
In the history of Sri Lankan politics, the Opposition is branded as a party which opposes the ruling party's decisions and actions however, advantageous they are to the country.
I do not view TNA as an Opposition at all. It lacks the attributes of a true Opposition. The position of Leader of the Opposition is a boon to the TNA. They abuse the post of the Leader of the Opposition to derive various personal advantages. They serve not the country. The Opposition Leader R. Sampanthan has neither been able to act as a true Opposition Leader nor done any service to the country.
Which alliance is EPDP a member? It is said that you are a supporter of the Joint Opposition's Podu Jana Peramuna. Is that true?
A: No. Neither I nor my party is an ally of Podu Jana Peramuna. I remain a member of the EPDP.
Well, you seem to oppose the Government. Although TNA and the JVP superficially oppose the Government, they are not the true Opposition. Many are of the opinion that those who truly oppose the Government belong to the JO. In that case, aren't you a member of the JO or its political wing, Podu Jana Peramuna?
A: No, although I do not support the Government and often criticize it, I am not a member of the JO. I am of an independent party which is the EPDP. Although I am in the Opposition, I always appreciate and encourage the good moves of the Government and point out and oppose the misdeeds.
What is your observation of the welcoming of Podu Jana Peramuna got in Jaffna?
A: It is hard to comment on that. When we were in power I have observed that Tamil people did not favour and like Mahinda Rajapaksa's Government. That is why they toiled to bring this Government to power.
If Tamil people find comfort and feel that their rights are preserved under this Government, why don't you join hands with your community people and support the Good Governance Government?
A: I was a part of the previous regime. But, this time I didn't want to play a role in Government and continue to serve my community by being outside of the Government. This is one type of view of the Government. Formerly, I was in Government and observed how the community can be served. Now, I stay outside of the Government and observe how I can serve the people.
Although the problems of the community are the same, the view is different; how it is looked at and dealt with.
You were a member of the Cabinet in the previous regime and had the authority to serve the people better. How do you find your present status which is void of power and perks?
A: Although less inundated, I continue to serve my people. There is a vast difference in serving people when in power and when not. Formerly, when I was a minister, when the public presented their problems to me, I could guarantee that they are resolved. I cannot give the public that assurance now, as I am not as influential as earlier. But, I attempt my best to provide some kind of solution to their problems.
There is huge uproar in the country over the Unitary State (Orumiththa Nadu) and United State (Ayikkiya Nadu). Which concept do you think is suitable for a country like Sri Lanka?
A: Orumiththa Nadu implies a Federal State. ITAK (Ilangai Thamil Arasu Katchi) is known in English as the Federal Party. In order to conceal their ulterior motives, they use the term ITAK at present.
This is like a battle of words. We should refer to the Constitution before any decision is made. It says if any confusion arises in terms of languages, the national language - Sinhala should be the final.
If the leaders of the country find it difficult to comprehend the meaning of Orumiththa Nadu and Ayikkiya Nadu, they will refer to the Sinhala terms.
This is a senseless clamour that the TNA is making. They are very good at deceiving the Tamil community with vain hubbubs.
In case former President Mahinda Rajapaksa gets an opportunity to be the President of the country, again, will the Tamil people support him?
A: In accordance with the Constitution, he cannot become the President of the country again.
Right after the end of the war I wrote to, the then President, Mahinda Rajapaksa that he too can become a Dharmasoka. I explained to him how Emperor Chandasoka who was a king of war became Dharmasoka, a king of righteousness. I said that he too can become a righteous President. But, he did not change his attitudes and actions at that time.
He also had a destructive set of people encompassing him who are the chief cause of his defeat.
I think he has learnt his lessons well during this two years and he can emerge as a totally different leader. Sometimes, he might not have taken all those detrimental forces into account then, but might have got a good understanding of them now. He might have a different perspective of them, when he looks at them, when he is not in power.
When you were a Cabinet Minister during the previous regime, you set up an industrial zone in Achchuveli. What is its present status?
A: There is no improvement whatsoever in that project. Those who are in-charge of that seem to have no interest in that project.
I cannot see any productive output from the Chief Minister of the Northern Province, C.V. Vigneswaran. He is good at talking but not at executing. He doesn't show any interest in serving the people of the Northern Province but deceiving them with exaggerated and aggressive speech.
When I was in power I converted the needs of the people into my call of duty and fulfilled those needs.
- Long term conciliation in Korea
- Germany and Europe: A New Relationship?
- Key role to strengthen SLFP -Wijewickrama
- Blood donation at SEUSL
- Faizer Mustapha says Muslims must trust SLFP and President
- Construction of Kerawalapitiya LNG Power Plant Political pressure blocks tender award
- One cannot expect failed rebels to become effective administrators MR
- FTA with Singapore Professionals claim Govt misleading public
- Alleged manhandling of principal:CM QUITS EDUCATION PORTFOLIO, pending probe
- 60 arrested in Kataragama mayhem
- Call to roll back FBR rule for female workers Thousands of foreign jobs in limbo - ALFEA
- Alleged manhandling of principal: CM QUITS EDUCATION PORTFOLIO, pending probe
- Senior Journalist Jatila Wellaboda passes away
- Hunt on for missing Police weapon Team flees Jumbo charge during ganja raid
- ‘Gender-based violence on the rise at Pera Uni’
- New Ambassador-Designate of China arrives in SL
- Two SLPPers pledge support to President Sirisena
- Wants Armed Forces out of Jaffna
- Using a dog as live bait to capture Panmure leopard Environmentalists cry foul
- PRESIDENT TO TAKE OVER ECONOMY AFTER LG POLLS
- Only fraction of requested funds sent to NPC last year Lack of funds derails development plans – CM
- US Govt in shutdown
- PCoI report on Bonds issue AG holds back 103 pages
- Alarming Police statistics reveal 3 underage girls raped every day!
- LANKAN LAWS SUFFICIENT ARJUNA MAHENDRAN CAN BE ARRESTED – AG
- Acceptance of new NSFs by NOC NOC Members expect further clarification from IOC
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Cambrians win by an innings
- 92nd National Boxing Championship Army retain men’s title MAS Unichela emerge women’s champs
- Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon Madumali finishes 11th with PB
- Man City back on track
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Div.II Cricket St. John’s advance to semis
- Sainz survives dunes to win Dakar Rally
- Nadal survives test, Wozniacki turns on style
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Plate Championship begins today
- Premier League Club Cricket – Tier ‘B’ Panadura SC crush Galle CC
- Buttler serves up series success for England
- Police force a draw
- 58th Senior Nationals Hockey tournament Defence Services clinch titles
- All rounder Thisara saves SL blushes
- Premier League Club Cricket-Tier A NCC win by 10 wickets
- NOCSL Members came out together against current regime Rohan Fernando announces candidacy for presidency
- North and South Korea to compete under one flag
- Financial irregularities of NOCSL exposed in Audit
- HNB Sponsors Millennium Trophy Golf Tournament Dr. Scarth and Niloo Jayathilake clinch top awards
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Ireland beat Afghanistan
- China, Sri Lanka and the ‘Politics of Investment’ What are the sources and impact of China’s economic leverage?
- Swaps boost liquidity by over 1,000%
- Rocell among Top 20 Sri Lankan Brands
- Bupa Global Insurance to further develop SL operations
- What happens at the World Economic Forum?
- Investigate losses in the CSE, T-Bond issues from 2008-14: Presidential Commission
- IMF has choked Tunisia, and now the people are protesting
- Will we ever be able to trust driverless cars?
- Gateway Graduate School and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University sign MOU Innovative Aerospace dual enrolment programme outside US
- World markets hammer higher on rising metal prices
- New research puts SL at 89th in ‘Doing Business’ index
- Browns to set up $5M pharma plant
- Norochcholai workers’ lives in danger
- Guidelines allegedly violated
- SriLankan posts highest-ever monthly revenue in December
- Shares gain for the first time in eight days
- India to become fastest growing large economy in 2018: Report
- PUCSL to sue CEB
- Emergency power costs SL Rs 40B
- Tourism earnings up 2.3% Jan-Nov
- Foreign missions’ failure to correct Sri Lanka’s tarnished image Tamil Diaspora vilifications
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Dying art of sending postcards
- The Pursuit of Peace Starting at SCOPP
- Vote for women this LG Polls
- Block law’s lacunae Not letting bond thieves go scot-free
- Europe prods homeless with spikes and cold showers
- UN warns of South Sudan’s ‘lost generation’ grinding conflict
- Hazardous multi-plug on the way out
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- I have a master plan - Salley
- All set for Free and Fair LG Polls – Mahinda Deshapriya
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter