Twitter to expand 280-character tweets
Twitter plans to increase the number of characters in tweets from 140 to 280 for the majority of users.
The new limit will not apply to tweets written in Japanese, Chinese and Korean which can convey more information in a single character.
The move follows a trial among a small group of users which started in September in response to criticism that it was not easy enough to tweet.
The change is part of Twitter's plan to attract new users and increase growth.
During the test, only 5% of tweets sent were longer than 140 characters and only 2% more than 190, the social media site said in a blog post.
But those who did use the longer tweets, got more followers, more engagement and spent more time on the site, it added.
"During the first few days of the test, many people tweeted the full 280 limit because it was new and novel, but soon after behaviour normalised," wrote Aliza Rosen, Twitter's product manager.
"We saw when people needed to use more than 140 characters, they tweeted more easily and more often. But importantly, people tweeted below 140 most of the time and the brevity of Twitter remained."
According to Twitter, 9% of tweets in English hit the character limits.
"This reflects the challenge of fitting a thought into a tweet, often resulting in lots of time spent editing and even at times abandoning tweets before sending," Ms Rosen said.
Increasing the character limit should not affect people's experience on the site, she added.
"We - and many of you - were concerned that timelines may fill up with 280-character tweets, and people with the new limit would always use up the whole space. But that didn't happen."
When the change was announced, many criticised it, pointing out changes they would rather see, such as a crackdown on hate crime and bots, and the introduction of a chronological timeline and edit function.
The site currently has 330 million active users. This compares with 800 million for Instagram and more than 2 billion users for Facebook.
- Maldives:President Yameen’s relationship with India and the US
- (UN)TRAFFICKED: A platform to combat trafficking in India
- IDPs and Military occupation of Northern land Why correlation between caste and land is ignored
- Three die as car rams into train
- KG discovery in Point Pedro sea 150kg in 60 bags - Navy
- Symposium on alcohol menace
- Tax concessions on used electric cars Extend period to three years – VIASL
- Refusal to hoist National Flag Cooray to seek AG’s opinion
- Gintota mayhem Police to crackdown on rumour mongers
- Lanka Marine Services scandal Vasu flays Govt for delay in probe
- Dedicated Courts to hear sleaze cases Start with Bond issue says JVP
- O/L exam to commence on 12 December
- Ajith P. Perera writes to PCoI Denies conversing with Aloysius
- In the wake of violence Gintota divided into 3 for security – Police Preventable if Police acted sooner -IGP
- Fuel Crisis Hoax CPC goes to the CID
- Only 10 detained under PTA Govt Suspects held on serious terror charges
- Speaker agrees to summon Party Leaders’ meeting Kiriella claims breach of Parliamentary privileges occurred Blames CID and AG’s Dept
- PCoI quashes tapping allegations
- Treasury Bonds Probe PM told Aloysius to resign from PTL
- India’s Choice: Saintliness Vs Efficiency
- Commercial Credit Japanese Firm moves in
- Man shot dead at Punchi Borella
- SAITM still exists, claims GMFSPA Group to meet Maha Sangha
- Lanka tour operators to visit Pakistan
- Fake sms on petrol shortage again! Leads to panic buying in Kandy
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket 20 wickets fall on day one
- Kohli scores 50th international century Bad light saves Sri Lanka
- I want to continue contributing - Kohli
- England motivated as ever even without Stokes
- Wimbledon champion Jana Novotna dies aged 49: WTA
- CMSC – Come and Try Day Out Ranjit Jinasena Memorial Autocross
- Cook captures maiden PGA Tour title
- Walkers Tours regain tag rugby title
- Dialog Champions League 2017 Renown SC occupy top spot
- Record-breaking Valencia maintain Barca chase
- Dimitrov eyes Grand Slam after ATP win
- Bolt to make Aussie cricketers ‘explosive’ runners
- Kandy SC in runaway win
- SLC clarifies Dilruwan’s actions
- India take 49 run lead
- Six-year-old wins two Silvers in shooting events
- Renown rout Blue Stars 4-0
- MAS Unichela emerge champions
- Senkadagala Rally
- Air Force SC in 15-7 win over Police SC
- NITFB settles flood of claims in 2017
- CSE approves LVL Energy Fund IPO
- SLT posts 9- month revenue of Rs 56.4 B
- EU cities fight to gain from London’s losses
- CCC says Pak capitalized while SL dilly dallied
- Asian shares retreat on German coalition impasse
- Alibaba aims beyond China and e-commerce
- FX Management Act flays rupee
- National Chamber Seminar on ‘Budget 2018 – Highlights’
- Canada, Mexico to question US auto content demands
- Brandix JV with Best Pacific, Hong Kong
- Hemas Hospitals Thalawathugoda concludes diabetes awareness drive
- Unilever and MullenLowe most awarded partnership at Effies
- MBSL wins International Europe Award for Quality 2017
- SLIM hosts 16th Brand Excellence Awards
- Asia markets mixed as investors focus on US tax reform
- China’s promised 2030 energy revolution
- Will Europe’s economic miracle be derailed by a central-bank power struggle?
- Meet the world’s youngest self-made billionaire
- Flooding the market with fake rhino horns
- TNA crisis Enmity within
- The March of Folly Restitution with transparency rather than revenge
- The National Flag A Muddled Tamil voice
- Rohingya children Face a bleak future
- New Constitution:National perspective versus political aspirations
- China and Vietnam: Beyond Diplomacy
- Middle East: Kurdish Pawn Sacrificed
- Concretes and abstracts Two comics at the Savoy in London
- Row over beer tax
- Illegal mining Muttur’s sandy secret Hundreds of tons of sand taken away at night
- Eastern Provincial Council destroyed- Hafiz
- eLECTRIC AND HYBRID CARS MUST BE PRICED REASONABLY
- Wigneswaran’s claim Devanampiya Tissa was a Tamil king An academically naïve proposition Prof Raj Somadeva
- An argument for a new Constitution
- ‘Otriachchi’, ‘Orumiththa Nadu’, ‘Aekeeya Rajya’ and unitary state
- A Constitutional Framework for Sri Lanka
- PAST LIFE AND RULING PLANETS IN KRISHNAMURTHI PADHDHATHI
- Build before onset of Kona Masa
- Palms of road accident victims
- Want to get rid of malefic Saturn ?
- Installing doors and windows according to Vastu
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Conquering Fashion
- Gavin Ryan’s Salon Professionalism to the next level
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE THE CRANBERRY ADVENTURES
- Calamitous Earthquake in Iran
- Scientists warn of ‘giant leap backward’ at climate talks
- Death of Ananda Senaratne