Twitter to expand 280-character tweets
Twitter plans to increase the number of characters in tweets from 140 to 280 for the majority of users.
The new limit will not apply to tweets written in Japanese, Chinese and Korean which can convey more information in a single character.
The move follows a trial among a small group of users which started in September in response to criticism that it was not easy enough to tweet.
The change is part of Twitter's plan to attract new users and increase growth.
During the test, only 5% of tweets sent were longer than 140 characters and only 2% more than 190, the social media site said in a blog post.
But those who did use the longer tweets, got more followers, more engagement and spent more time on the site, it added.
"During the first few days of the test, many people tweeted the full 280 limit because it was new and novel, but soon after behaviour normalised," wrote Aliza Rosen, Twitter's product manager.
"We saw when people needed to use more than 140 characters, they tweeted more easily and more often. But importantly, people tweeted below 140 most of the time and the brevity of Twitter remained."
According to Twitter, 9% of tweets in English hit the character limits.
"This reflects the challenge of fitting a thought into a tweet, often resulting in lots of time spent editing and even at times abandoning tweets before sending," Ms Rosen said.
Increasing the character limit should not affect people's experience on the site, she added.
"We - and many of you - were concerned that timelines may fill up with 280-character tweets, and people with the new limit would always use up the whole space. But that didn't happen."
When the change was announced, many criticised it, pointing out changes they would rather see, such as a crackdown on hate crime and bots, and the introduction of a chronological timeline and edit function.
The site currently has 330 million active users. This compares with 800 million for Instagram and more than 2 billion users for Facebook.
- Power Play in Syria: What Turkish Moves Mean For US And Russia
- Houthis’ Ballistic Missiles Triggering Regional War Or Concealed Iranian Tests?
- Zuma’s Fall: Why is South Africa So Divided?
- Karuna backs SLPP, set to meet Rajapaksa this week MR must merge North and East - Karuna
- Cry Sis! Women insist on 25% quota
- Ban on Philippine workers in Kuwait Increases demand for Lankans Job agents told to seize opportunity
- Lasantha murder suspects re-remanded
- Conference on Disarmament UNSG welcomes SL’s decision
- No show in Court Warrant re-issued on Jaliya
- Lankan maid commits suicide in Kuwait
- SEUSL VC advises new intake
- Aranayake landslide victims Families still languish homeless
- Sivalingam resigns as CWC Chair Thondaman takes over
- Academics come out in support of Ranil
- EC Chair meets Speaker Proposes reforming LG law
- Active Liability Management Bill presented to Parliament
- Govt to initiate artificial rain generation Projects near hydropower plants
- Karu writes to Maldivian counterpart Requests intervention in Malé crisis
- Politicos pontificate on LG Polls result Opposition’s dream of toppling Govt failed – Rajitha Sampanthan accuses MR of racism
- Decision on future of Unity Govt UPFA awaits SC interpretation Thilanga confirms Prez seeking SC opinion on PM’s removal
- More electorates than members - PAFFREL
- Considering the country at large Pro-Sirisena faction to stay in Govt - SB Dissanayake Demand significant changes to power structure
- PCoI Bonds scam and PRECIFAC reports Debate today
- Tighten laws to curb narcotics – Cardinal
- Delimitation Com report handed over
- Black Caps coach rejects call to scrap T20
- Richmond in comprehensive win
- Arsenal announce record shirt deal with Emirates
- Olympics reels as ‘clean’ Russian curler hit by doping case
- Kandy SC too good for Airmen
- Red Stars SC emerge division I champions
- Hundreds participate in CISM Run
- Australia’s most-capped female player Blackwell retires
- Kohli limps off as India beat South Africa in first T20
- Kvitova takes Qatar title to clinch top 10 return
- Real Madrid win eight-goal thriller
- Watson’s wait ends with third Riviera triumph
- Coleman breaks 60m indoor world record
- Federer wins Rotterdam for 97th title
- No majority in Galle UC
- We played as one family – Chandimal
- Pakistan’s Imran Khan marries for third time
- Federer on top of the world
- Man Utd into Cup quarters
- Cavani, Neymar key as PSG rebound from Madrid gloom
- Global interest in Hilton and Hyatt Colombo Hotels
- New rule for hiring SL domestics in UAE
- Cost of construction to go up by 7% - RIU
- DIMO mulls expansion in Cambodia and other ASEAN countries
- BOC appoints new GM/CEO
- Sri Lanka Tourism promotes niche products in India
- ‘Spot’ falls 35 cents to Rs 155.35/45
- Facebook told to stop tracking in Belgium
- Asia trades higher as markets in China on holiday
- Banking restrictions - major barrier to Iran trade relations
- Foreign exits from GSM top $50M
- Seylan Group reports Profit-After-Tax over Rs 5 B
- Huawei to participate at Mobile World Congress 2018
- Fairway Holdings vertical luxury high rise apartments - Elements
- Maha Shivarathri Pooja at Sri Lanka Insurance
- Emirates transports UAE’s first satellite
- Indian Bank ramping up overseas operations
- OPEC and Shale keep oil prices at $60-$75
- EU joins global growth bandwagon
- CHINT launches ‘CHINT POWER Series’ switches and sockets
- Subramanian Swamy’s love-hate relationship with Sri Lanka
- Tea, haircuts and fish bones Letting the light into Pakistan
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Pursuing Peace The UN’s lack of accountability
- Current Marketing Practices Customer is King! Does it really apply to us?
- Writing project for young Syrian refugees
- The March of Folly A simple solution – Ranil goes
- Civil society group writes to EC, Speaker & Party Leaders DON’T default in implementing 25% quota for Women
- Give women more time to give birth, make choices - WHO
- President and PM are responsible for the election results
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep