Arctic blast chills US, Canada in JFK airport meltdown
The eastern United States and Canada froze Saturday under record-breaking low temperatures following a deadly winter storm as New York's flagship airport descended into chaos, battling to contain flight backlog.
In Canada, temperatures approaching minus 50 degrees Celsius (minus 58 degrees Fahrenheit) were forecast in northern Ontario and Quebec.
Arctic blasts and dangerously cold wind chills could make it feel as low as minus 45 Fahrenheit across the eastern United States, with the risk of frostbite to exposed skin within 10 minutes, officials warned.
The deep freeze follows a storm, dubbed a "bomb cyclone" by forecasters, which has been blamed for at least 19 deaths in the United States, from Texas to Wisconsin, US media reported.
Thursday's storm raked the East Coast with heavy snowfall, glacial temperatures and high winds, forcing the cancellation of flights.
But on Saturday, more than 3,420 flights within, into or out of the United States were still delayed, with New York's John F. Kennedy airport and South Carolina's Charleston among the most affected.
The Port Authority, which runs New York-area airports, announced that flights were being limited into JFK, "including all flights scheduled to arrive into Terminal 1 for the rest of the evening."
It said a surge in flights rescheduled after the storm, combined with severe storm damage to equipment, resulted in delays in getting planes and passengers to gates.
Tracking site Flightradar24 said at least 12 international flights had been waiting, around two to four hours, for a gate to deplane.
- Flights diverted -
Passengers complained of being stranded on the tarmac for hours and then facing lengthy delays in baggage claim that made traveling, particularly with babies or the elderly, a misery.
"Losing patience," tweeted passenger James Allen, who said he travelled on Virgin Atlantic and had to wait three hours on the tarmac before reaching the gate, then two hours in baggage claim.
"Two small children hungry, thirsty and tired with no facilities or help in baggage reclaim. Very poor," he tweeted.
Multiple trans-Atlantic flights simply gave up and went home, including an Aeroflot flight from Moscow that turned back over Iceland.
A Norwegian Air flight from London diverted to Stewart International, 70 miles (112 kilometers) north of Manhattan, while Flightradar 24 said a Japan Airlines flight from Tokyo diverted to Boston.
Adding to the chaos, a China Southern Airlines and Kuwait Airways jet clipped each other's wings at JFK's Terminal 4 late Friday, causing damage to both aircraft but no injuries, officials said.
In New York, the National Weather Service chalked up record lowest high temperatures for the day at each of its climate sites except for Central Park, with temperatures about 25 degrees below normal.
Forecasters says below-normal temperatures are likely to continue into early next week, forecasting freezing rain from Kansas to Tennessee, and that ice could complicate road transport.
Mount Washington, New Hampshire recorded the second-coldest temperature on earth early Saturday, minus 36 Fahrenheit.
In eastern Canada, which has suffered through extreme cold for two weeks, there were further flight delays and cancellations at Toronto airport, and some communities along the Quebec coast faced flooding.
"Frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin, especially with wind chill -- and keep emergency supplies in your vehicle," the Canadian weather service warned.
- Can Russia Broker A Syrian Peace Deal?
- Whither Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman’s ‘Moderate’ Islam?
- Trump Pushes for American Authoritarianism – With Success
- SL to host World Health Day celebration
- M.H.M. Salman resigns Seat vacant in Parliament – Speaker
- Colombo School of Arts and Sciences ‘Food Fest’ to help differently-abled
- Marsoof Committee report on MMDA Compromise on minimum age of marriage Quazi permission mandatory
- South Eastern University Students pledge support for reconciliation
- Singapore firms bullish about SL amid news of FTA
- PCoI bonds scam probe and PRECIFAC Reports tabled in Parliament
- Amendments to IP and Trusts related laws in the offing
- Bond Commission Report:Recommendations should be implemented responsibly - COPA
- Supplementary allocation of Rs 7.9B for Dec 2017
- Central Bank Bond Issue PCoI report submitted to Parliament
- Due to incomplete Bench Gota’s FR case postponed to May
- Alleged manhandling of Principal Uva CM surrenders to Badulla Police Enlarged on bail
- Landslides threaten approx 6,000 settlements in Badulla
- Kataragama mayhem Sagala slams the IGP Orders him to ‘police’ the Police
- Contempt of Court case against Ramanayake AG to decide after viewing media briefing video
- Rejection of Nominations lists SC rejects 4 SLPP petitions
- Causing death by drunken driving Ex-HC Judge allowed bail
- Disappearance of 11 children Ninth suspect remanded
- Revocation of excise notice lifting ban on women Another FR petition to be filed by 20 females
- Five new envoys present credentials to President
- CBSL has failed to control finance companies’ crisis AKD
- Bangladesh rout Zimbabwe
- Third Test Wanderers record a boost for India
- 12th ICC Under 19 Cricket World Cup Pope steers Australia to semi final
- NOC sends Notices for AGM
- Injured Nadal retires on day of upsets
- World Cup boost for VAR after ‘positive’ tests
- ICC U-19 World Cup 2018 Boyagoda ridicules U-19 management with record breaking 191
- Premier League Cricket SSC, Marians advance to Super 8
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 cricket Muditha steers D.S. to success
- Root to miss T20 tri-series
- Kandy SC made to labour for victory
- Huge upsets at Australian Open
- Liverpool lose unbeaten 18-match run
- Pundits hail 'new Warne'
- Mudannayake ‘Sir’ no more
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Ranasinghe steers St. Anne’s to victory
- Failed attempt to justify Auditor General’s report regarding mismanagement of NOC Funds Maxwell accepts lapses in NOCSL Accounts
- Has Hathu caught a tiger by the tail
- Zimbabwe will look to improve
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Canada and Zimbabwe win
- Notes on the Sri Lanka - Singapore FTA
- Delegation representing 70 Japanese firms in SL
- “Be unique or face failure”, warns prominent academic
- ‘Be Apped with B-App from BOC’
- Softlogic Life awards Rs 1 M via ODEL promotion
- NDB’s cash management to provide quality services
- A gateway to integrate with advanced economies
- HNB relocates Nawam Mawatha Customer Centre
- Com Bank signs new Collective Agreements with CBEU
- DFCC Bank, National Eye Bank conduct eye donation campaign
- Toyota Lanka crowns ‘Stars’ at Staff Convention 2017
- Amadi designed SDB Calendar 2018
- OPPO to launch A83 for ‘Full-Screen Selfies’
- Sky-Fox deal not in public interest, says regulator
- Ravi Abeysuriya appointed to HNB Assurance PLC Board
- Kevin Spacey cost Netflix $39 million
- Rupee at its lowest
- Asian shares soar following end of US govt shutdown
- e-commerce sector to grow via S’pore FTA S’pore Minister
- Atlas acquisition to boost Hemas’ defensive cash flows: Fitch
- The March of Folly A disgraceful Attorney General
- Kenyan doctor goes to Court To legalize female genital mutilation
- Foreign missions’ failure to correct Sri Lanka’s tarnished image Tamil Diaspora vilifications
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Beijing breathing easier?
- Denial then defiance Former sex slave in Argentina fights for justice
- Political Leadership is the root cause for laws delays
- Saudi-led coalition to give $1.5 b in Yemen aid, expand port capacity
- Sparks fly over Power and Energy Sector CEB, PUCSL and Ministry clash as electricity crisis looms
- Mahinda cannot destroy Maithri
- Govt has not lost a red cent from Bond transactions
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter