Djokovic seeded 14th for Australian Open, Nadal top
Six-time champion Novak Djokovic will lurk as 14th seed for next week's Australian Open in Melbourne, with Rafael Nadal seeded top, organisers said on Thursday.
Nadal heads defending champion Roger Federer at the top of the men's seedings, with Simona Halep and Caroline Wozniacki seeded one and two in the women's competition.
The seedings have gone largely according to the ATP world rankings, although Andy Murray and Kei Nishikori are out injured and women's champion Serena Williams opted not to play after giving birth in September.
Djokovic made a winning return on Wednesday after six months out with an elbow injury, declaring he felt "great" after beating world number five Dominic Thiem 6-1, 6-4 at the Kooyong Classic.
It was the 12-time Grand Slam winner's first competitive outing since losing a Wimbledon quarter-final to Tomas Berdych last July.
The Serbian former world number one had pulled out of a warm-up tournament in Abu Dhabi, raising concerns over his fitness ahead of the year's opening Grand Slam.
Federer, seeded second, and will bid for his 20th Grand Slam title in the bottom half of the draw.
Former winner Stan Wawrinka, who hasn't played since Wimbledon but said he has recovered sufficiently from a knee injury, is seeded at nine.
In a women's field notably missing 23-time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams, there appear to be many chances of a new Australian Open champion this year.
Seven-time champion Williams announced last week she wouldn't defend her title, saying she was "super close" but not quite ready to compete so soon after becoming a mother.
Spain's Wimbledon champion Garbine Muguruza is seeded three, while Serena's sister Venus has the fifth seeding.
- Can Russia Broker A Syrian Peace Deal?
- Whither Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman’s ‘Moderate’ Islam?
- Trump Pushes for American Authoritarianism – With Success
- SL to host World Health Day celebration
- M.H.M. Salman resigns Seat vacant in Parliament – Speaker
- Colombo School of Arts and Sciences ‘Food Fest’ to help differently-abled
- Marsoof Committee report on MMDA Compromise on minimum age of marriage Quazi permission mandatory
- South Eastern University Students pledge support for reconciliation
- Singapore firms bullish about SL amid news of FTA
- PCoI bonds scam probe and PRECIFAC Reports tabled in Parliament
- Amendments to IP and Trusts related laws in the offing
- Bond Commission Report:Recommendations should be implemented responsibly - COPA
- Supplementary allocation of Rs 7.9B for Dec 2017
- Central Bank Bond Issue PCoI report submitted to Parliament
- Due to incomplete Bench Gota’s FR case postponed to May
- Alleged manhandling of Principal Uva CM surrenders to Badulla Police Enlarged on bail
- Landslides threaten approx 6,000 settlements in Badulla
- Kataragama mayhem Sagala slams the IGP Orders him to ‘police’ the Police
- Contempt of Court case against Ramanayake AG to decide after viewing media briefing video
- Rejection of Nominations lists SC rejects 4 SLPP petitions
- Causing death by drunken driving Ex-HC Judge allowed bail
- Disappearance of 11 children Ninth suspect remanded
- Revocation of excise notice lifting ban on women Another FR petition to be filed by 20 females
- Five new envoys present credentials to President
- CBSL has failed to control finance companies’ crisis AKD
- Bangladesh rout Zimbabwe
- Third Test Wanderers record a boost for India
- 12th ICC Under 19 Cricket World Cup Pope steers Australia to semi final
- NOC sends Notices for AGM
- Injured Nadal retires on day of upsets
- World Cup boost for VAR after ‘positive’ tests
- ICC U-19 World Cup 2018 Boyagoda ridicules U-19 management with record breaking 191
- Premier League Cricket SSC, Marians advance to Super 8
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 cricket Muditha steers D.S. to success
- Root to miss T20 tri-series
- Kandy SC made to labour for victory
- Huge upsets at Australian Open
- Liverpool lose unbeaten 18-match run
- Pundits hail 'new Warne'
- Mudannayake ‘Sir’ no more
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Ranasinghe steers St. Anne’s to victory
- Failed attempt to justify Auditor General’s report regarding mismanagement of NOC Funds Maxwell accepts lapses in NOCSL Accounts
- Has Hathu caught a tiger by the tail
- Zimbabwe will look to improve
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Canada and Zimbabwe win
- Notes on the Sri Lanka - Singapore FTA
- Delegation representing 70 Japanese firms in SL
- “Be unique or face failure”, warns prominent academic
- ‘Be Apped with B-App from BOC’
- Softlogic Life awards Rs 1 M via ODEL promotion
- NDB’s cash management to provide quality services
- A gateway to integrate with advanced economies
- HNB relocates Nawam Mawatha Customer Centre
- Com Bank signs new Collective Agreements with CBEU
- DFCC Bank, National Eye Bank conduct eye donation campaign
- Toyota Lanka crowns ‘Stars’ at Staff Convention 2017
- Amadi designed SDB Calendar 2018
- OPPO to launch A83 for ‘Full-Screen Selfies’
- Sky-Fox deal not in public interest, says regulator
- Ravi Abeysuriya appointed to HNB Assurance PLC Board
- Kevin Spacey cost Netflix $39 million
- Rupee at its lowest
- Asian shares soar following end of US govt shutdown
- e-commerce sector to grow via S’pore FTA S’pore Minister
- Atlas acquisition to boost Hemas’ defensive cash flows: Fitch
- The March of Folly A disgraceful Attorney General
- Kenyan doctor goes to Court To legalize female genital mutilation
- Foreign missions’ failure to correct Sri Lanka’s tarnished image Tamil Diaspora vilifications
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Beijing breathing easier?
- Denial then defiance Former sex slave in Argentina fights for justice
- Political Leadership is the root cause for laws delays
- Saudi-led coalition to give $1.5 b in Yemen aid, expand port capacity
- Sparks fly over Power and Energy Sector CEB, PUCSL and Ministry clash as electricity crisis looms
- Mahinda cannot destroy Maithri
- Govt has not lost a red cent from Bond transactions
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter