UNP, SLFP and the Flower Bud all have deals
By Anuradha Herath
Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna (JVP) politburo member K. D. Lalkantha says that our country is one of the most corrupt in the world. "If people vote for the UNP, SLFP and the Flower Bud this time too, Sri Lanka will become the most corrupt country in the world."
Is Lalkantha disillusioned with the JVP...?
A: We are the JVP. We will not get disillusioned with ourselves, ever. So, there is nothing to be said about these naive thoughts made up by those who are politically impoverished and are upset.
However, we heard that on two critical instances, you were about to leave the Party.
A: People who are politically aware know that Lalkantha is not disillusioned with the JVP. I address about 10 rallies daily from JVP political platforms and if someone says that I am disillusioned with the JVP, that person's head has to be examined. We are working with great interest and pleasure with the people to ensure a JVP victory.
At one time it was said that Lalkantha was going to join Mahinda. He did not go! People said Lalkantha was connected to the UNP.
There was nothing like that either. They said that Lalkantha will abandon and leave. He did not do so either. It was said that there was internal conflict and there was nothing of the sort. We are the Party and the Party is us. We will never be disillusioned of our own things. If at a time, when the people of the entire country is pleased with us, if I am feeling disillusioned then my head too should be examined! I have no such feeling.
The JVP is going round the country seeking power in the villages. What have you done for the villages during your time as a Minister?
A: We controlled four ministries and the actual story is that we only got to start work in those ministries when we had to leave and go. That was because we wanted to save the country rather than engage in work at the ministries. Chandrika Kumaratunga and Mahinda Rajapaksa tried to set up an institution named the Post-Tsunami Operational Management Structure (PTOMS). If that was given at that time, LTTE would have got control over the money.
So we came out and did our duty by taking to the streets. Actually, we had just started our work and the people were pleased though we could not achieve much.
Are you saying that now, to cover up for your inability then?
A: The entire country is aware that we came forward.
However, people allege that the JVP is all noise and they can't achieve much. Given that, do you think people will give you power in the villages?
A: We are not asking for power in the villages. When people go and put the cross for the Bell, and the JVP member in their village wins, he will set up a village body; it will have the power to decide what has to be done or not, in the village. What actually happens here is by putting a cross for the JVP it is giving power to the village. The power that will be given to us will be assigned to someone for four years.
When the cross was put for the JVP in the Parliamentary Elections, the power was assigned to someone else for six years.However, this time when one votes for the Bell the power will come to the Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna. The member will only be a representative.
It will be the village body that will decide what should be done and what should not be done.For the first time, people of Sri Lanka will receive the power to administer the village for four years; that is what is important here. That is why we are asking the people to put a cross for the Bell.
You are alleging that the SLFP, the UNP and the Flower Bud are in the same camp. If that is so and all three are in one camp, and if whatever that was done for the people it was they who did it, then won't the JVP lose what little chance they had?
A: The entire country is entwined in theft, fraud and corruption. Members steal when the village roads are being built. The official who is there to inspect the standard and quality of the road also steals. The contractor also steals. These three positions are the beginning of theft.
How will the JVP change that system?
A: First give us the power. Then we will show all these three, how development of the village is done without allowing corruption. There was only one thing that was given to us by the people of the country - that the only group against corruption is the JVP.
This time the UNP is slipping, so is the SLFP, and the Flower Bud. Only the JVP is coming up.
You seem to be highly confident ...?
A: If I am to say how confident I am, during discussions in villages, complete families from other political parties abandon them and attend rallies and meetings and discussions held by us and say how much they have been misled, and say that they will vote for us this time.
JVP had 39 seats but now it has dropped to just 6. Even if you shout on platforms about the people's admiration, is this not an indication of the displeasure of the people, towards the JVP.
A: The people now think that they have been foolish up to now, and reflect on not having brought us to power. People realized their mistake when we fell from 39 to six. It is that mistake that will be corrected by the people this time.
Do you recall how you repeated this story on every platform of every election that was held?
A: The people in our country act according to habit. However, there is something I have to mention. There is no talk on victory or defeat for the JVP. A win, as well as a defeat is for the people. It is only when people get a good shot to their brain, that they will change their habits. Now it has hit them in the brain, body, stomach and everywhere else. This is the very reason that they will change. The world will not remain in the same place every day; neither will politics remain in the same place. According to Buddhism, the world is subject to change; even in Marxism the world is subject to change. People too change. That is apparent to us. Instead of making a lot of predictions, let us wait and see what happens on the 11th.
Due to whatever opinion, people believe that the JVP is a 'Deal Party'. How do you view that?
A: Ranil Wickremesinghe does not have any files on us. Neither does Maithripala Sirisena. Even Mahinda Rajapaksa does not have files on us. However, Ranil's files are with Mahinda, Mahinda's files are with Ranil, Maithri's files are with Mahinda, Mahinda's files are with Maithri as well as with Ranil. All three factions have files. It is those people who have files that do deals and work. By putting deals with Ranil, Maithri or Mahinda, what will we gain? Especially from top class thieves!
However, we talk to them in Parliament, when we need to get Acts and Bills passed, to fulfil the requirements of the people. We do not like to speak with Ranil. However, we do talk with the Prime Minister!
Why is it not possible to remove that opinion from the minds of the people?
A: The people do not believe, and when you from the media ask these questions, it gets into the minds of the people too. When persons who are full of thefts, corruption and fraud say such things on stages, it goes into the heads of the people. You are the ones who are perpetuating those.
Then give me an answer to the view, that the previously independent and principled, JVP is now dilute.
A: Now, when there is nothing like that, and when you ask this question, people begin to think that something like that does exist. The JVP is the most organized Party. All other parties are diluted. They jump from here to there and there to here! We do not even have such people. We do not have diluted policies either. When you all and politicians make up things against us, problems that do not exist enter the heads of the people.
So, you think it's wrong for the media to publish what politicians are saying?
A: No. What politicians say is being spread through the media. When politicians are incorrect publishing such inaccuracies is also wrong. I, of course do not trust politicians in Sri Lanka. Nor do I trust the media. Neither, do I trust the State institutional mechanism in this country. If people accept us, we win. If they do not, then we lose. Our country is one of the most corrupt in the world. If people vote for the UNP, SLFP and the Flower Bud this time round as well, Sri Lanka will become the most corrupt country in the world. If you want that to happen, then you can vote for them.
Will the JVP who talks with such confidence gain power in at least two or three Pradeshiya Sabhas?
A: The JVP is a massive organization. Ask the people whether the JVP will win or not, rather than asking us. Ask them and tell us through a survey. Even if you ask us or anyone else, they will say they will win.
However, when you inquire from the general public about the JVP, the story that can be heard is that the JVP too has become a useless Party now.
(Laughs out loud!)
How many of the persons involved in the controversial Central Bank Bonds Scam, will fall to the President's sword?
A: We do not believe in what this President says. We do not believe in what the CID, the Judiciary, the Bribery or Corruption Commission, or the Attorney General says. The people of the country too do not believe. However, those institutions have a responsibility to create trust among the people. Apart from shouting about thefts, frauds and corruption, nothing else is being done by Maithri. There are some appalling thieves in Maithri's lap.
Today the people are of the understanding, that if the JVP and the media get together and intervene, it will be possible to get something done, even something small.
- UNP vows to protect President won’t let jo own him
- UNPers to stand by Ranil
- Range Bandara quits as UNP Anamaduwa Organizer
- Appointment of 25% women to LG bodies Decision today Polls Chief
- Southeast Asia’s shifting sands of terrorism
- Katchatheevu Church Feast Sinhala mass for the first time 13,000 to land on island
- No-Faith against Ranil not needed – Gammanpila
- Civil society orgs demand referendum Want Executive Presidency abolished
- Kandiah Neelakandan no more
- Donation of necklace to Temple of the Tooth Principal warned CP Edu Minister
- Army recruits 50 Tamil youths Rehabilitated ex-LTTE cadres too
- Kalmunai Beach Mosque 196th Flag hoisting ceremony held
- NPC Women’s Affairs meeting
- Trump’s Immigration Plan: Sound Start for Compromise
- Congo justifies oil exploration in national parks
- To discuss premiership issue PM and Speaker meet Prez UNP claims problem solved
- City Coroner complains to Fort Magistrate Call to probe death of Bellanwila Thera Monk was moved from CSGTH against medical advice
- Will Transitional Justice wither? Int’l community in quandary over LG polls results
- INTERPOL REFUSES TO DELIVER SUMMONS TO MAHENDRAN ARREST WARRANT TO BE SOUGHT AFTER MARCH 8 IF…
- Govt now trying to postpone PC polls
- President has not consulted me yet – AG
- Govt brought in 19A to block Rajapaksas We also can change 19A – Basil
- November 2012 Welikada Prison Massacre Second eyewitness ready to come forward
- President pressed to find suitable PM Political crisis continues
- South China Sea Unmanned vessels and future operations
- Federer on top of the world
- Man Utd into Cup quarters
- Cavani, Neymar key as PSG rebound from Madrid gloom
- Barca grind out victory before Chelsea trip
- Kvitova powers through to Qatar final
- ISAC 2018 23 schools will participate
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Sumanasinghe scores second ton
- Packeer Ali to be appointed Head Coach
- England win but Munro ensures New Zealand in final
- Premier League Super 8 round NCC and Ports Authority CC win
- Sri Lankans win singles and doubles titles
- National Cross Country Championship 2018 Samantha and Nilani win Both athletes had to go through ridiculous bureaucratic red tape after returning to SL with Gold medals Officials show their vested interests instead of flexibility for International medal winners
- Premier League Club Cricket Tier ‘A’ Chilaw Marians CC emerge champions
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Kamindu Mendis scores fourth ton
- Unified Korean team lose again despite goalie heroics
- Loyola - Christ King Inaugural ‘Battle of Friends’ Big match ends in a draw
- Smith looks forward to pace challenge
- Mendis powers Sri Lanka to 210-4
- Mendis drives Sri Lanka to T20 series sweep
- Premier League ‘Tier ‘B’ Negombo CC emerge champions
- Global Independent Audit Regulators meet in Colombo
- Shares end the week positive
- Thailand to seek approval for FTA with Sri Lanka
- Rupee stabilizes despite political instability
- SL to purchase 12 train engines for upcountry line
- UK retail sales show weak growth despite gym wear boost
- Royal Mint gets first woman boss in 1,100 years
- CBSL prints Rs 606M
- Stocks closed mixed on the day Sharply higher for the week
- Allowing Financial Technology Will Reduce Borrowing Costs
- CSSL offers support for tech startups
- Ceylinco General Insurance records excellent results in 2017
- CA Sri Lanka Business Plan Competition 2018 kicks off this month
- HNB Grameen Finance Limited signs MoU with DIMO
- Raigam launches ‘DeveniBatha – Bundi Full’ instant rice noodle
- SL - high potential market for Database Security: Oracle
- Jack Ma’s secrets, hiring women for the profits and rising early
- Trumps Solutions brings the digital force to advertising with VLT
- Inaugural leadership programme conducted for students of Olcott Schools
- Fashion Bug bags Gold Award for Best Key Account Partner from Triumph
- Subramanian Swamy’s love-hate relationship with Sri Lanka
- Tea, haircuts and fish bones Letting the light into Pakistan
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Pursuing Peace The UN’s lack of accountability
- Give women more time to give birth, make choices - WHO
- Ask “Dr. Love”: mobile app teaches Congolese youth about safe sex
- Bulgaria rejects treaty to combat violence against women
- Progress on global goals ‘unacceptably slow’ for women, says UN
- The Great American Buddhist Leader
- President and PM are responsible for the election results
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep