The authorities will further discuss the issue related to pensions for retired disabled soldiers, a senior official said yesterday.
Latest News - Local
The skipper of the boat which capsized off the coast of Kalutara last week has been remanded by Kalutara Magistrate until 6 March pending further Police investigations.
Some 1,500 students are deprived of a university education each year owing to the irresponsibility of those who had been selected earlier, Sports Minister and Member of the Committee on Public Enterprises (COPE) Dayaysiri Jayasekera said yesterday.
Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa is scheduled to meet the leaders of the Tamil and Muslim communities next week, to seek their support at the forthcoming local government elections.
Ven. kumburugamuwe Vajira thera and three others injured following an accident in Kadugannawa.
President of Indonesia Joko Widoda has invited President Maithripala Sirisena for a state visit in Indonesia soon after his scheduled participation at the Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) Summit meeting to be held in Jakarta.
The Colombo High Court yesterday decided to hear on 5 and 6 March 2017, the case filed against former Minister and SLFP Kalutara District MP Rohitha Abeygunawardene, who is alleged to have earned a sum of Rs. 43 million during his tenure as an MP.
Negombo Additional Magistrate Kapila Epitawela yesterday fixed 16 May to hear the case filed against NFF MP Wimal Weerawansa, who has been charged with attempting to use an illegal passport to go overseas hearing yesterday and the Negombo Additional Magistrate ordered the Prisons Department to produce Weerawansa in Court if he was still imprisoned on that date.
Passing yet another significant milestone of the Sri Lanka Navy's noble effort in providing safe drinking water to the general public free of charge, under its Community Service Programmes, three more Reverse Osmosis plants were declared open recently.
Islandwide showers 1622
The Department of Meteorology yesterday predicted widespread islandwide showers especially along the southern belt with higher rainfall expected in the Hambantota District and Eastern and Uva Provinces.
Eighteen people attempting to reach New Zealand illegally apprehended by the SL Navy in Negombo.
Department of Census and Statistics (DCS) recently launched the report of the Child Activity Survey 2016 conducted in assistance with the International Labor Organization (ILO). The previous such surveys were conducted in 1999 and 2008/09.
Minister of Primary Industries Daya Gamage said that his ministry is planning to launch a program to increase coconut cultivation in the country.
Sri Lanka Army has established a state of the art Tyre retreading facility at its Ordnance Factory at Dombagoda in Horana.
A meeting between President Maithripala Sirisena and the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) electoral organizers was held at the President's House, yesterday (22nd Feb.).
Cabinet has approved the allocation of Rs 2,414 million to expand the land extent of the Colombo National Hospital (CNH), to build a new road, to renovate two buildings with historic value and to develop the doctors' quarters.
The Cabinet yesterday approved a proposal to gazette a Draft Bill to introduce amendments to the Code of Criminal Procedure (Special Provisions) Act No. 2 of 2013 relating to the rights of detainees and the access to legal counsel.
The Government Medical Officers' Association (GMOA) yesterday said it was considering launching an islandwide strike by 27 February, demanding the abolition of the South Asian Institute of Technology and Medicine (SAITM).
The Annual Dinner Dance of the Old Anandians' 75-80 Group which is affliated to the Old Boys Association of Ananda College ,will be held at Cinnamon Lakeside, Colombo on 25 February 2017 for the 32nd successive year.
Vice Chancellor of the Peradeniya University Prof. Upul Dissanayake says, he will take the most stringent possible action against the 15 students of the Agriculture Faculty, who have been charged with ragging a group of rookie students.
- Namal slaps CBK with defamation 3341
- Pakistan still eyeing JF-17 Thunder Fighter sale to Sri Lanka 3141
- CID grills govt Printer, Director, others 3178
- LRC seeks Police protection 3134
- MR to meet Tamil and Muslim leaders 3186
- Leprosy hits western province 3140
- skipper of ill-fated boat remanded 3129
- Raggers will be promptly expelled 3151
- Double-speak from SB on Wimal 3155
- VX nerve agent killed Kim Jong-nam 3134
- More snags foul up Constitution making 3253
- NFPWHR warns of massive protest 3131
- Mangala meets US HDP delegation 3138
- SL Police deny ‘hunting’ refugees in HK 3129
- 1500 students denied Uni education 3181
- SLFP CMs to boycott meeting 3129
- Wimal not a party leader – Dayasiri 3131
- New Zealand-bound boat people held 3122
- Pension for disabled ex-soldiers 3123
- Divorce case ends after 18 years 3178
- Payagala death toll now 16 3953
- MR hits out at CBK 4054
- ONUR refutes Army claims 3948
- Case against Rohitha on 5 March 3955
- Nearly 10% of children don’t attend school – Survey 4112
- February – a celebratory month 3110
- Political mayhem 3123
- Significance of Sri Lanka’s legal profession 3114
- A house divided 3102
- Building castles in the air 3107
- Upholding children’s rights 5648
- Ronaldinho launches soccer academy in China 2211
- French possess fear factor, says Zebo 2218
- UB Finance main sponsor for STC Rugby for 2017 2212
- New circular issued to allow player poaching 2258
- Malinda claims seven scalps 2215
- Trinity destroys Wesley 2225
- Derailed in Sri Lanka 3654
- Wigneswaran’s irrationality Leading Tamil’s astray 3756
- A tale of woe and courage 3040
- On the Grapevine 2952
- 10 children and 33 grandchildren Centenarian vows to live 104 years 2940
- Is India Still Interested Developing Trincomalee Port? 3333
- SAITM students will not be accepted by any country– Prof. Hiran Amerasekera 3135
- I have no issues with the Minister– Anoma Gamage 3501
- LG elections should be under new system 3331
- Dr. Sivamohan reiterates preference for foreign intervention 2896
- RICE SHORTAGE AND HIGH PRICES BIG MILL OWNERS TO BLAME SAYS ACPF 3045
- I believe in cooperative politics – Karuna 2010
- I like to talk to diehard Sinhala chauvinists – Wigneswaran 2360
- Justices should be subject to judicial audits 3750
- Traders have imported rice under local branding– Duminda Dissanayake 3627
- CTSU to protest SAITM ruling-on the streets 3872
- UPS delivery drone has glitch at launch event 2691
- Arik Air investment offer rejected by Ethiopian Airlines 2689
- Facebook confusion over fake cancer babies U-turns 2690
- A guided tour of the cybercrime underground 2687
- Google’s self-driving firm sues Uber 2687
- JTB awarded for promotion of brand Jamaica at Rio Olympics 2691
- Valencia stun Real Madrid 2727
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 3043
- Fully fledged Media Commission by June – DGI 3075
- Way for True Conciliation! 4241
- Mathews is confident of bouncing back 2848
- Djokovic still the biggest rival, says Murray 3395
- Malayalam film - “Orazhcha” (A week) 4552
- Sri Lanka’s Finest Talent – but Who Cares? 4548
- The mesmerizing mystery of Mozart’s music – Mass in C major KV317 (Coronation) 4530
- A Showstopping Performance 4765
- House for Rent 4553
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - part 9 4508
- Junsu 1507
- The fate of our woods 1505
- Celebrate ‘A month of love’ 1505
- Five new branch openings 1509
- THINC Sri Lanka Networking Conference 2017 1582
- ‘Our Shop’ for staff welfare 1509