Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe graced the inaugural Session of the Regional Meeting of Young Parliamentarians of Asia - Pacific today (25th April) at Hilton Hotel in Colombo.
Latest News - Local
The Ambassador of the Republic of Seychelles, David Claude Pierre paid a courtesy call on the Commander of the Navy, Vice Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne at the Naval Headquarters yesterday (24th April).
Weather today 1072
Fairly strong winds at times (up to 50 kmph) can be expected over the island.
By Rathindra Kuruwita
A written invitation will be sent to all elected representatives of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) to participate in the Party's May Day rally,......State Minister for finance, Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena said yesterday.
Ranil off to India 1158
By Skandha Gunasekara
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe is scheduled to leave on an official visit to India today (25).
World Malaria Day themed 'End Malaria for Good' falls on 25th April.
On receipt of intelligence information, a group of naval personnel, attached to the North Western Naval Command, apprehended a person who was attempting to smuggle 511 kg of red sandalwood, into the country from India via sea, yesterday (23).
India and Sri Lanka may next week give final shape to a deal for jointly developing the Trincomalee Port in the north-eastern region...... of the island nation. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe will travel to New Delhi tomorrow on a five-day visit. His meeting with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is likely to focus on Sri Lanka's offer to India for developing the Trincomalee Port.
The current economic performance of Sri Lanka was given a special praise during the ongoing biannual summit of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank at Washington DC, said Finance Minister Ravi Karunanayake. The minister points out that he started separate discussions with heads of the IMF and the WB. The summit began on April 18 and concluded yesterday (23rd April).
By Charith Gabadage
The report of the special committee, appointed to investigate the prison bus shooting in Kalutara, is to be handed over to the Minister of Prisons Reforms, Rehabilitation and Resettlement, ......D.M. Swaminathan, by Friday.
BY RAVI LADDUWAHETTY
Ceylon Petroleum Corporation trade unions set up a crippling blow to Sri Lanka's economic fabric by staging an indefinite countrywide strike, beginning midnight last night.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe will visit India next week to set up the agenda for Prime Minister Narendra Modi's trip to Colombo in May.
The first phase of providing houses for the displaced persons, whose houses were completely destroyed due to the collapse of a section of the Meethotamulla garbage dump, was launched yesterday (21st April) under the patronage of President Maithripala Sirisena. 30 families received new houses under the first phase.
Health Minister Rajitha Senarathne instructed the officials to expedite the cleaning of school premises before the beginning of the new academic term.
The National Vesak Festival – 2017 will be held at the ancient Wattarama Temple in Kegalle from 7th to 12th May.
The new Secretariat of the Naval Association at SLNS Gemunu in Welisara was opened yesterday (20th April) by the Commander of Navy, Vice Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne.
Weather today 2076
Fairly strong winds at times (up to 40 kmph) can be expected over the northern half of the island.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and 16 other world leaders have confirmed their participation at the 14th UN Vesak Day celebrations and the Academic Conference in Sri Lanka this year, Minister of Buddhasasana Wijayadasa Rajapaksha said.
Minister of Parliamentary Reforms and Mass Media Gayantha Karunathilake has planned to introduce the program organized by the Ministry of Rural Economy to develop the rural economy to the Galle District.
Indian PM Narendra Modi has confirmed his participation at the UN Vesak Day celebrations to be held in Colombo from 12-14 May, informed sources said.
LATEST NEWSRead More
- Invitation to Party reps 3960
- LIOC demand triples 3975
- CPC strike ends 3966
- Govt to own majority 3975
- JVP flays Trinco oil tank deal 3977
- Ranil off to India 3964
- SC orders written submissions 3967
- Govt sponsors SAITM adverts – GMOA 3965
- Invitation to Party reps 4023
- Japanese experts hand over report 3957
- Mega crackdown 3985
- Top defence meeting 3977
- Livera as new NCPA Head 4040
- French Presidential Elections A glimpse of our future 3963
- Conservative divide in Korea 3947
- ETCA to be finalized 3956
- Minister Zoysa assures Ampara farmers: 3951
- Indian builders to import Lanka cement 3945
- Two treasure hunters on the mat 3939
- Liberal Maldives blogger stabbed to death 3939
- Temp shelters near completion 3941
- 90% of doctors against GMOA – SB 3944
- Akila wants more English in schools 3944
- Care more for the elderly – Amaraweera 3944
- Port City to yield US $ 13 B 5082
- RANIL, SIRISENA SET FOR TERM TWO ALREADY 3385
- Post-war economy, Mahinda regime and unity govt 3278
- The march of folly Electoral reform–Sirisena’s greatest betrayal 3303
- Garbage, protests and rule of law 3538
- Seeking sustainable development in neoliberalism 2783
- A time of gifts Settling down at Oxford 2317
- CPC strike: Politically motivated or ignorance – Daham 2885
- India’s inspirational centenarian wins gold 2883
- Navodya qualifies for WYC 2865
- Greshan, Sadini shine with records 2876
- Seven’s players released from XV’s duties 2873
- Benteke comes back to haunt Liverpool 2865
- Post-war economy, Mahinda regime and unity govt 3206
- National Sustainability undermined 3169
- Avoid dangerous ‘politicking’ With the MMDA 3101
- Executive Presidency: Boon or Bane 3185
- Want Govt to Degazette wilpattu forests 4034
- Muslims rage over Mannar land 4515
- Sampanthan has forgotten his people’s grievanceS 2515
- Anoka’s Mangrove campaign 4118
- Ministry of Megapolis responsible for Meethotamulla TRAGEDY 3240
- Garbage crisis has reached epic proportions 3127
- MR confident of ousting govt next year – Dinesh 2939
- Marikkar pours scorn on Govt, Rajapaksas 3267
- Mahinda Rajapaksa never left the fray – MR 2895
- Solution to problems is removal of Capitalist economy 2689
- Overcoming your own demons:Essential for reconciliation 4243
- SLFP in grip of unwholesome men – Mervyn Silva 1395
- Offer for Dulux owner AkzoNobel raised again 3238
- Euro and shares jump after vote 3233
- Red tape hampers railway tourism growth 3241
- SLT’s Galle cable depot ready by 3Q 3235
- CPC strike impacts forex market 3237
- Ravi invites US investments 3236
- The New Constitution Creating divisions for democracy 1743
- What is Good Governance? 1639
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1878
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1741
- Economics of gambling 1583
- There were no Tamils in Ceylon until arrival of Westerners 1872
- Stallion heralds New Year 4339
- The House that Love Built 4455
- The challenges of self-representation 4334
- Solidarity Award for Prasanna Vithanage 4335
- History of Cinema 4329
- Trans national Cinematic Musical Discourse 3232
- Beware of touchy feeling! 1170
- Dazzling stars illuminated 1157
- G O O D L I F E D i a r i e s 1165
- Cuba 1161
- Science experiments A parachute 1163
- ENJOY WAFFLES TO YOUR HART'S CONTENT 1167