Navy arrests one person with 2 kilos of Heroin in Valvettithurai, Jaffna - Navy Spokesperson -
Latest News - Local
Students of the Faculty of Islamic Studies and Arabic Language, of the South Eastern University of Sri Lanka (SEUSL) yesterday declared that there would be zero tolerance of ragging and assured their fullest cooperation and assistance to the administration to maintain law and order at all times.
Tamil Nadu politicians do not cater to the interests of the Sri Lankan Tamils and prevents others from helping out, United Peoples Freedom Alliance (UPFA) Parliamentarian MP Namal Rajapaksa said, with regard to the recent cancellation of the Indian celebrity Rajinikanth's visit to the country.
A total of 2,484 dengue patients have been recorded in the Trincomalee District during this year while the death count has increased to 15, Eastern Provincial Council Health Service Director, Dr. K. Murugananthan said.
The bodies of three Sri Lankan pilgrims, who passed away during a trip to India, arrived at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) this week. The bodies of two pilgrims arrived at the BIA yesterday and a third on Thursday, officials said.
Bodies of 3 Sri Lankan pilgrims who died in India brought to BIA - Foreign Ministry confirms
The Central Environmental Authority (CEA) has said that an official scientific clarification will be given before the forthcoming New Year to claims that Kandy is Sri Lanka's worst city in terms of air pollution.
All protected forest reservations that are situated to the North of the Wilpattu National Park and belonging to the Wildlife Department have been declared as one forest reservation by the government, informed sources said.
Several Police OICs have been transferred considering the service requirement, Police Headquarters said.
Light showers are expected at a few places in the Kalutara, Galle and Ratnapura districts during the evening or night, Met. Department said.
New domestic airline 2535
The Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation submitted a supplementary estimate, for approval in Parliament yesterday, seeking
Rs 1.05 Billion for the introduction of a new domestic airline and for double-tracking the railway line from Polgahawela to Kurunegala and from Aluthgama to Galle.
India International Textiles Expo (IITExpo) – 2017 and Buyer Seller Meet organized by the Power loom Development and Export Promotion Council (PDEXCIL) India, will be held on 27th and 28th March at Hotel Galadari, Colombo.
Superstar of Tamil Cinema Rajinikanth will hand over to Tamils, the keys to 150 homes built for them by Gnanam Foundation on 9 April in Jaffna, Sri Lanka. While the rehabilitation of displaced Tamils is still a contentious issue, Rajinikanth's visit to Jaffna is likely to attract a huge crowd as he is also expected to speak at a public meeting in Jaffna.
Weather today 2590
Mainly fair weather will prevailover most part of the island.
The suspected underworld figure, Roshan Pradeep, who was arrested by the Colombo Crimes Division (CCD), has been handed over to the Army, Police said yesterday (23).
The Sri Lanka Audit Services Association (SLASA) has revealed that Minister of Finance Ravi Karunanayake has modified 30 of the 57 clauses included in the Audit Bill, according to his preference.
The 'Logistics Conference 2017' organized by Student Officers of the 3rd Long Logistics Management Course of Naval and Maritime Academy, will be held on 24th March at the Academy premises in Trincomalee.
The Police have decided to deploy teams of Police personnel – uniformed and in civvies – near girls' schools in and around the City of Colombo.
Cabinet of Ministers approved a proposal by President Maithripala Sirisena to introduce a systematic method to excavate stones, sand, soil, and pebbles required for government's development projects from lands under the Sri Lanka Mahaweli Authority and Department of Wildlife Conservation.
Government of India donated eight water bowsers to supply water to the people in drought affected areas. Donations were officially handed over to President Maithripala Sirisena at the Presidential Secretariat, yesterday (21st March).
- Since taking over from Avant Garde Navy’s OBST earns Rs 3 B for Govt 3829
- Schools big match season 22 vehicles in custody 3796
- President hints at Cabinet reshuffle 3840
- Three Lankan pilgrims die Extremely cold weather in Dambadiva 3797
- 2,484 dengue patients in Trinco 3787
- Wimal taken to prison hospital Hunger strike enters fifth day 3803
- President misled on Wilpattu issue – ECT Gazette provides zero relief for destruction 3812
- R’kanth’s Jaffna visit dropped 3779
- Rajinikanth’s SL tour cancellation Welcomed by Parties barring BJP 3784
- IUSF in 65 anti-SAITM protests Demand scrapping of Institute 3791
- JVPer claims paddy sold to distillery at Rs 28 3859
- Maligawa Road will remain closed – Kiriella 3823
- Suspect arrested with revolver 3783
- Soma Agnes Maduragoda dies George Perera’s Mother-in-law 3784
- Strike in Afghanistan US confirms al-Qaida figure killed 3781
- Soaring dengue cases 3770
- Visit My Mosque Open day for everyone 3767
- 25 held in pre-dawn Police swoop Illicit liquor, narcotics seized 3767
- Kalkudah distillery runs into snag PS approval in limbo 3773
- South Eastern University shuns ragging 3769
- Civil society should assist Police –DIG 3765
- Defending Liberal Democracy in Poland 3774
- Fighting for Life at 60 3807
- Kandy tops list in air pollution 2759
- CBSL printsRs 48.9B Money printing costs up by Rs 676M to RS 7.9B 2711
- From Russia with friendship: ‘Kandyan Kastane’ 3291
- Is the Government attempting to STIFLE PUBLIC’S RIGHT TO PROTEST? 3288
- Protests, fisticuffs and fast unto death 3240
- Are tourism authorities wearing blinkers? 3206
- A time of gifts 3137
- Nationalists and globalists 3125
- Richmond emerge champions 2714
- SL in deep slump 2726
- Lyon claims four key wickets 2712
- Joes beat Antonians 2707
- Muthuthanthri set for captaincy ? 2747
- Vettel wins Australian Grand Prix 2717
- The roles people play Prioritizing Sex & Gender 3169
- Typical double standards & hypocrisy 3031
- Main cause of kidney diseases 3078
- ‘Posh Pooches’ to be lavished with love 3031
- Preventive measures 3010
- Opening a can of worms 3063
- Rewarded for sensitizing rights of the disabled 3121
- Foreign Judges can hear cases – Niran Anketell 3096
- We await President’s response – Gemunu 3232
- LTTE atrocities also have to be investigated 3808
- Exporters to EU must be educated on Brexit – GM ECCSL Srinath 3296
- Speaker refused our request 3288
- Dinesh only UPFA’s Deputy Leader 3285
- Voters must exercise caution when electing MPs – Harshana Rajakaruna 2580
- Forced family planning is happening countywide – Galagoda Aththe Gnanasara Thera 3901
- ITAK’s arbitrary actions cause conflict in TNA – Sivasakthy Ananthan 3558
- G20 drops pledge to fight protectionism Bows down to US opposition in spite of China 3322
- Chinawood: The merging of ‘Hollywood’ and ‘Made in China’ 3301
- Facebook to challenge YouTube and Spotify 3300
- Revised IMF deal expected by April Disbursement by June – Central Bank 3307
- Sri Lankan to maintain fleet position 3452
- High production costs hurting shipbuilding industry 3306
- The crisis in Parliament: Twilight of a functioning democracy 3498
- Mispriced Risk of Infectious Diseases 2441
- Limelight on Sri Lanka again 2445
- Former JVP terror districts continue in poverty 3668
- Valencia stun Real Madrid 2915
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 3240
- Musicalisation of Narrative 3893
- The Many Faces of Galle -Part 2 3924
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction- Part 14 3902
- Afternoon Shadows 3912
- Living up to ideals 4060
- Clash of the Titans in Nuwara Eliya 3945
- The plight of our corals 1726
- India’s largest international décor mall launched in Bangalore 1706
- The games gods and politicians play 1703
- A challenged life 1694
- The Threshold: Patching up our privileged defeats 1762
- Animal assisted therapy 1698