INS Shardul, the second Indian cargo ship with relief goods for the flood victims arrived at the port of Colombo this evening (28th May).
Latest News - Local
Several main roads and areas in following Police Divisions have been inundated and the transportation has been halted, police said.
People in residing in Kalutara, Panadura, and Wadduwa are warned to be on alert as there is a risk of Kalutara Panapitiya dam spilling over.
Continuing with ongoing relief work, Sri Lanka Army had deployed a total of 1,600 Army personnel belonging to the SFHQ-West for rescue and relief operations in flood and landslide affected areas by yesterday (27th May), army media sources said.
As per the situation report issued by the DMC today at 10.00. a.m., there are 126 deaths while 97 are missing. Further, 100,924 people belonging to 24,374 families were located at 304 safe locations.
Although the heavy rainy condition has reduced temporary, showery conditions are likely to enhance again over south-western part of the island from 29th May, Met. Department said.
The total number of displaced persons due to the disaster situation has increased upto 493, 455, Disaster Management Center sources said. The number of safety centers has increased up to 185.
The First Indian cargo Ship carrying relief goods, medical teams and equipment for the flood and landslide victims arrived at the Port of Colombo this morning.
The South African High Commission in Colombo, on Thursday (25) celebrated 'Africa Day' by hoisting the flag of the African Union. This was followed by a reception hosted by HC for invitees including Honorary Consuls to Countries in Africa, and several staff of diplomatic missions.
By Daya Perera and J. T. De Silva
As a step towards preventing underage girls from getting pregnant as well as abuse of children and sexual harassment, the Divisional Monitoring Committee of Parliament on Women and Gender, has decided to teach students from Grade 6-13 in schools the subject of sexuality and reproductive health.
Sri Lanka Navy has deployed over 31 relief, search and rescue teams comprising 197 naval personnel along with 31 relief boats for the prevailing flood situation.
The government of India on the request of Sri Lanka has taken steps to send two ships with relief goods, medical teams and equipment to assist the flood and landslide affected people in Sri Lanka.
Heavy traffic has been reported in and around Colombo due to heavy rain.
Several access roads have become inundated disrupting the rescue boat operations in the Galle District, said District Secretary S.T. Kodikara said this morning at a special Disaster Management meeting.
All the schools in Sabaragamuwa Province have been temporary closed today due to the prevailing torrential rains.
23 killed due to floods and landslides in Ratnapura and Kalutara districts. Rescue operations launched - DMC
Ministry of Home Affairs has introduced the following telephone numbers to inform in the event of a disaster due to the prevailing heavy rains.
An eight-member student delegation, along with their teachers from The City School, Lahore, led by Shazia Zahid, is visiting Sri Lanka from 24 to 28 May, 2017 under a Student Exchange Programme, with Harcourts International School, Sri Lanka.
Within the past 21 hrs very heavy showers were reported from Southern and Sabaragamuwa provinces (Rathnapura meteorological station received a heavy rainfall of 196.7 mm), Met Department says.
The stomach of a dead wild elephant was found to contain over 25 kg of polythene, according to Wild Life officials in the Polonnaruwa District.
- Egypt, Turkey put pressure on Lanka 3682
- 100 dead, 34 injured, 91 missing 2996
- Ramadhan fast begins 2976
- Unleashing catastrophe, death, destruction 4577
- Prez visits Aussie nuke agency 2889
- Australia, SL tighten maritime security 2884
- All schools in S’gamuwa closed 2892
- Flood relief centres set up 2899
- Gnanasara Thera in hiding 4400
- BBS goes to HRC 3676
- Parliament ends early 2875
- Rains, floods trap Parliament staff 2906
- But PAC finds no University there! 2922
- Rs 343 M more for Ministers’ vehicles 2885
- No joint administration – Amaraweera 2892
- China, Lanka think tanks sign major MoU 2906
- Weather, floods worsen dengue threat – Rajitha 3145
- CASC puts the ball in Parliament’s court 2893
- Policeman, suspect injured in melee 2885
- Lanka should ensure team’s security – Lewke 2896
- ‘Africa Day’ celebrated in Colombo 2883
- WHO chief to help Lanka health sector 2877
- Sex education from Grade Six 2905
- NHDA seals Anderson Flats community centre 2889
- Scholarships for estate children 2882
- Govt comes in for a lot of flak 2083
- Exploitation in state and private sectors 1843
- A time of gifts Increasing intensity 1837
- Flowers: Nature’s beautiful bounty 1837
- Govt pays tribute to war heroes 1840
- Vettel fastest in final Monaco practice 2387
- England reach 330 on Stokes back 2393
- Sabaragamuwa win U-18 rugby tourney 2384
- Tamim and Imrul pummel Pakistan 2388
- CA rebuffs MoU mediation 2390
- Sangakkara hits fifth successive first-class century 2393
- Kandy schools ready to face heat 2392
- SriLankan Airlines ‘A’ regain Archery title 2385
- Kandy pull out of club Sevens 2443
- Australia in thrilling win 2388
- Floods cause havoc 3626
- Rice mafia controls prices 3304
- ‘Yahapalanaya’ an utter failure – People 3164
- Balancing economy and environment 3158
- High cost of law-making 3137
- My life is under threat 3004
- Deal opposition and tame opposition silent 4377
- Forefathers of this country were Tamils – Sangaree 3166
- Foreign powers destroyed MR 2411
- There are many issues to iron out 3430
- How vulnerable is Sri Lanka? 2579
- Oman Air wins the ‘Best Arab Air Carrier supporting Arab Tourism’ Award 2386
- MMBL-Pathfinder and WelcomHotels to develop mid-market hotel chain 2395
- Emirates returns with signature Iftar service for Ramadan 2391
- 20/20 offers and gifts to celebrate 20 years 2389
- BOI highlights potential for Chinese investments in SL 2397
- Litro Gas initiates ‘Garu Ammawarun Wenuwen’ 2388
- Sri Lanka’s first ever tea estate 2494
- Abans launches Hugo Boss The first luxury brand to enter Sri Lanka 2394
- DIMO partners HNB to promote Mercedes Benz 2384
- Ladies College U-17 team emerge TT champions 2229
- Is Constitution the answer? 1768
- Traps from different quarters 1603
- I fell in love with taking photographs -- Indu Bandara 1221
- Cannes 2017 Kicks off in Style 1218
- If you still haven't found your dream go back to sleep 1208
- The pacemaker of Love 1455
- Sri Pada-The spiritual Glamour 1343
- Mars into Gemini Challenging period to the government 1552
- Third House Denotes Siblings 1549
- Professions signified by planetary combinations 1549
- SADI SATI OF SATURN OR SHANI ERASHTAKA- 2 1536
- Illnesses indicated by horoscope 1533
- Spiritual mine fields sprawl across Paradise 3840
- ‘Soul’, an evening of original music 2643
- Latest play by Inter Act Art 2649
- From Parents’ Perspective 3561
- Saadaya Maarai Salli Hamarai 2646
- Poetry and Picturesqueness 2635
- One country.Nine Days 944
- A very successful apple dansala 797
- Zero is here 792
- Second mommy and me cook-off winners crowned 788
- Style and sensibility 784
- A titillating curtain-raiser 785