The SLFP Chief Ministers on Thursday unanimously decided to boycott the Provincial Secretaries meeting which is scheduled to be held on 27 February, in protest over moves to absorb the powers vested with the PCs to the Central Government.
Latest News - Politics
The prime expectation and the noble vision of all religions is to promote spiritual and moral well-being of humankind. All their religious rituals and celebrations recall those core values ofreligious teachings.
The Government of Japan has agreed to provide Rs 327 million (250 million Yen), under non-project grant aid, for the provision of Japanese products to improve public security and to strengthen the counter terrorism activities in Sri Lanka. The Cabinet of Ministers approved the signing of exchange notes with the Government of Japan to obtain the grant.
Leader of the National Freedom Front (NFF), Wimal Weera-wansa yesterday called on Speaker Karu Jayasuriya to recognize five NFF MPs, including himself, as an independent group as they had severed all ties with the United People's Freedom Alliance (UPFA).
UPFA General Secretary Mahinda Amaraweera says a few decisions related to economic issues will be taken shortly by President Maithripala Sirisena in order to free the country from its current economic crisis.
A bi-partisan group of Representatives of the United States Congress visiting Sri Lanka paid a courtesy call on President Maithripala Sirisena yesterday (21) at the Presidential Secretariat.
A bipartisan delegation from the US House of Representatives arrives in Colombo today for three days of meetings as part of the House Democracy Partnership (HDP).
NFF leader Wimal weerawansa further remanded until 6 March.
The prospective GSP+ grant to Sri Lanka by the EU is divorced from Sri Lanka meeting its human rights (HR) obligations in Geneva, Delhi based Swedish Embassy's Political Affairs Counsellor Ms. Anna Uggla told this reporter at an event in Colombo yesterday.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, who is on a four-day official visit to Australia, met the Governor of the Victoria Province Linda Dessau at her official residence.
Fisheries Minister Mahinda Amaraweera recently emphasized the owners of whale-watching boats that charge higher-fee from foreign tourists is unreasonable as they are not given any special privileges.
Mansoor A Carder appointed the Secretary of Sri Lankan Muslim Congress.
Eight containers containing used vehicle parts released from the Customs to its consignee who is engaged in vehicle assembling was based on a decision made by the cabinet of ministers on the basis of legal advice given by the Attorney General.
The government has decided to grant Sri Lankan citizenship to Frontline Socialist Party (FLSP) Organizing Secretary and Central Committee member Kumar Gunaratnam, following a long drawn out struggle carried out by the FLSP, the Media and Civil Societies.
A special discussion had been initiated by both the UNP and the SLFP and that the first such discussion is to be held today.
A protest was held demanding the release of the PM Wimal Weerawansa and detesting the wrong doings of the current prevailing government earlier today (30).
The final report compiled by the Delimitation Committee related to the 2017 LG polls, which was to be gazetted by 31 January, will be further delayed.
The Joint Opposition (JO) will air a speech of jailed NFF MP Wimal Weerawansa at the scheduled public rally to be held in Nugegoda later today, sources said.
Amunugama heads team 1825
A committee has been formed, headed by Minister of Special Assignments Dr. Sarath Amunugama, to take urgent action against rice mill owners who have refrained from issuing rice to the market after having purchased paddy from the government.
The Sri Lankan Government is to obtain a US $ 50.09 million loan from Sberbank of Russia, a State-owned Russian banking and financial services company, to purchase equipment required by 250 Sri Lankan UN peacekeepers who are to be deployed in Mali, Co-Cabinet Spokesman Minister Gayantha Karunathilake said.
- NUJ 109th Birth anniversary 3369
- Mangala to urge 24-month extension 3538
- Namal slaps CBK with defamation 3444
- Pakistan still eyeing JF-17 Thunder Fighter sale to Sri Lanka 3151
- CID grills govt Printer, Director, others 3232
- LRC seeks Police protection 3141
- MR to meet Tamil and Muslim leaders 3211
- Leprosy hits western province 3150
- skipper of ill-fated boat remanded 3135
- Raggers will be promptly expelled 3164
- Double-speak from SB on Wimal 3167
- VX nerve agent killed Kim Jong-nam 3141
- More snags foul up Constitution making 3291
- NFPWHR warns of massive protest 3143
- Mangala meets US HDP delegation 3146
- SL Police deny ‘hunting’ refugees in HK 3135
- 1500 students denied Uni education 3219
- SLFP CMs to boycott meeting 3134
- Wimal not a party leader – Dayasiri 3141
- New Zealand-bound boat people held 3128
- Pension for disabled ex-soldiers 3125
- Divorce case ends after 18 years 3196
- Payagala death toll now 16 3954
- MR hits out at CBK 4060
- ONUR refutes Army claims 3949
- February – a celebratory month 3116
- Political mayhem 3134
- Significance of Sri Lanka’s legal profession 3121
- A house divided 3106
- Building castles in the air 3111
- Upholding children’s rights 5652
- Now or never for Havies 2248
- Bad light saves day for Isipathana 2245
- Golfer Arumugam no more 2246
- Royal resist late Joes’ onslaught 2251
- Sadeera's 177 n.o. guides SL 'A' 2242
- Sadeera pushes for Test spot 2519
- Wimal gets short shrift 3368
- BASL in the dock 3294
- Ragging: The ugly truth 3301
- Govt gambling with our lives – KPP protesters 3293
- Keppetipola mansion in bad shape 3288
- Diesel Mafia raises its head again... 3287
- SAITM students will not be accepted by any country– Prof. Hiran Amerasekera 3164
- I have no issues with the Minister– Anoma Gamage 3509
- LG elections should be under new system 3335
- Dr. Sivamohan reiterates preference for foreign intervention 2899
- RICE SHORTAGE AND HIGH PRICES BIG MILL OWNERS TO BLAME SAYS ACPF 3049
- I believe in cooperative politics – Karuna 2013
- I like to talk to diehard Sinhala chauvinists – Wigneswaran 2367
- Justices should be subject to judicial audits 3753
- Traders have imported rice under local branding– Duminda Dissanayake 3629
- CTSU to protest SAITM ruling-on the streets 3875
- Google's self-driving firm sues Uber 2507
- Colombo Fashion Week dates for Summer season, 13 – 18 March 2513
- International Thunder Cat Power Boat Racing in Bentota- a thrilling experience 2508
- BPPL Holdings Limited announces Rs. 368 Mn IPO 2509
- Durdans Lab Service adds ‘Predictive Tests’ for disease prevention 2510
- INSEE Cement wins Green Platinum Award at HarithaSihinaya 2017 2508
- Valencia stun Real Madrid 2731
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 3048
- Fully fledged Media Commission by June – DGI 3079
- Way for True Conciliation! 4244
- Mathews is confident of bouncing back 2850
- Djokovic still the biggest rival, says Murray 3397
- A musical evening-Hindi film songs 3032
- Sitar recital 3031
- Alston Koch to sing at the ‘OSCARS’ after party 3037
- Luang Prabang – A Journey into Sublimity 3033
- Blue all the way 3033
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - Part 10 3035
- Employees rewarded 1327
- Training in excellence 1326
- Human – elephant conflict rears up again 1369
- Nature in its wild pristine beauty 1332
- A touch of Yalpanam 1332
- Blood facts 1328