Leader of the Opposition and the TNA R. Sampanthan will meet Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to discuss the political and humanitarian issues, prevalent in the North and East, during the latter's visit to Sri Lanka to participate in the International Vesak Day celebrations in Colombo.
Latest News - Politics
Minister of Law and Order and Southern Development Sagala Ratnayake was greeted by protests and hooting when he visited the site of Meethotamulla garbage dump disaster yesterday.
The Inspector General of Police Pujith Jayasundara and the Commander of Sri Lanka Army Krishantha de Silva accompanied the minister. The area visit was interrupted by the protests of the residents and therefore, the visitors were forced to leave the place .
Government of Pakistan donated 10,000 metric tons (MT) of rice to Sri Lanka to assist the people affected by the recent drought.
As the Sinhala and Hindu New Year season loomed closer, top Ministers in charge of economy and trade jointly stepped out to the marketplace yesterday (7), quelled consumer market fears and debunked speculations of any looming shortages. They also promptly re-assured the Lankan consumers of uninterrupted food, commodity and essential supplies during the forthcoming New Year season.
UNP Working Committee did not discuss changing party positions. WC discussed about May Day Rally - Min Gayantha Karunathilaka.
Former United National Party (UNP) General Secretary Tissa Attanayake said yesterday that he was willing to rejoin the UNP if everybody was willing to respect each other.
President of the German Bundestag, Prof. Dr. Norbert Lammert accompanied by a Parliamentary delegation is scheduled to visit Sri Lanka in April 2017 on an invitation by Karu Jayasuriya, Speaker of the Sri Lanka Parliament.
Minister Chandima Weerakkody says SLFP will hold its May Day rally at Gatambe grounds, Kandy.
President Maithripala Sirisena hinted that a Cabinet reshuffle will take place soon, while meeting the media on the final day of his three-day official visit to Russia, at a morning tea party hosted by journalists from Sri Lanka, at the Hotel Ararat Park Hyatt in Moscow.
The government on Friday sought the approval for the allocation of Rs 3.13 billion through a supplementary estimate for the expenditures of UN peacekeeping operations.
President Maithripala Sirisena who is on a three day State visit to Russia held bilateral discussions with Russian President Vladimir Putin yesterday (23rd March).
The government has failed to halt the spread of the dengue fever across the island due to its not having the support of local government bodies, which have been left helpless as local government elections have not been held, Joint Opposition Member of Parliament, Dinesh Gunawardena, said yesterday.
The Cabinet of Ministers decided to appoint a Cabinet Subcommittee chaired by Minister of Special Assignments Sarath Amunugama to oversee the implementation of the concession agreement of the Port of Hambantota between Sri Lanka and China Merchant Port Holdings Company in China.
Wimal to stay hungry 1781
The hunger strike launched by National Freedom Front (NFF) leader, MP Wimal Weerawansa will be continued until he gets a satisfactory response from the government, the NFF yesterday said. Weerawansa yesterday began a hunger strike at the Magazine Prison against the political revenge by the government.
President to take several important political and economic decisions in the coming weeks - State Minister Lakkshman Yapa.
The Cabinet on Tuesday approved a proposal by Minister of Finance, Ravi Karunanayake, to instruct the Legal Draftsman to draft a new Inland Revenue Bill, based on a prepared Concept Paper, Co-cabinet Spokesman, Minister Gayantha Karunathilake said.
A delegation of 2OR Buddhist Charity Organization called on President Maithripala Sirisena to discuss about its future philanthropic activities in Sri Lanka at the Presidential Secretariat yesterday (17).
Former UPFA member of the Mihintale Pradeshiya Sabha (PS) Anil Pushpananda and another suspect, who were found guilty of having set fire to the home and medical centre belonging to the UNP's former Anuradhapura District Organizer, Dr. Raja Johnpulle, were sentenced to 19 years and six months rigorous imprisonment by North Central Province High Court Judge Manjula Thilakaratne yesterday.
MR SKIPS PRECIFAC 2073
Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa failed to present himself for hearings before the Presidential Commission Inquiring into Fraud and Corruption (PRECIFAC) in response to summons from the Commission to record a statement from him regarding a case of financial misappropriation at the Sri Lanka Rupavahini Corporation, alleged to have been committed in the process of the 2015 Presidential Election campaign. Rajapaksa had informed PRECIFAC through his lawyers that he could not attend hearings due to unavoidable circumstances, adding that he would be able to comply at 10 am on 24 March.
Colombo Fort Additional Magistrate Lanka Jayaratne yesterday granted permission for MP Namal Rajapaksa to leave the country to participate in the Asian Football Cup for Lawyers from 22 to 29 March in Vietnam.
LATEST NEWSRead More
- Range Bandara’s son’s vehicle in mishap 3108
- Maithri sacks Janaka, Anura and Lohan 3140
- Ranil in Delhi 3093
- Three of 33 injured critical 3095
- Keep your promise while in India 3107
- Referendum this year – Rajitha 3097
- SLFP heading for same fate as Meethotamulla 3112
- Prez orders lump sum payment 3098
- CB was upside down – Ex-Asst Governor 3111
- Free train travel to Kandy for SLFP members 3107
- Ex-LTTE cadres protest NPC takeover 3114
- Call for urgent probe 3102
- Ministry’s letter worries FfMTAs 3097
- What would the second Korean war look like? 3234
- ‘One Belt One Road’ initiative Industrial Development Opportunities 3094
- Trump And China Risk Middle East Arms Race 3105
- 708g heroin worth Rs 7M 3083
- Australian temporary skilled migration reforms 3086
- Pakistan’s National Defence University delegation in SL 3083
- JDR Expert Team handsover findings to Prez 3082
- Invitation to Party reps 3968
- LIOC demand triples 3983
- CPC strike ends 3980
- Govt to own majority 3987
- JVP flays Trinco oil tank deal 3984
- What a Waste 2776
- Imminent Asia-Pacific Regional Economic Collapse In The Offing? 2768
- ‘Abolish SAITM’ Protest at R. Premadasa Stadium 2780
- Judiciary,help clean up garbage politics 2764
- Judiciary,help clean up garbage politics 2767
- RANIL, SIRISENA SET FOR TERM TWO ALREADY 3430
- Sadeepa, Nirmali set sprint records 2371
- Sivalingam takes Supersaints to new heights 2337
- Shah, Misbah put Pakistan on path to victory 2334
- India delay naming squad 2334
- BCCI rejects ICC’s $100 million offer 2337
- Karunaratne, Dias, Gunatilleke in main draw 2336
- Post-war economy, Mahinda regime and unity govt 3230
- National Sustainability undermined 3176
- Avoid dangerous ‘politicking’ With the MMDA 3109
- Executive Presidency: Boon or Bane 3194
- Want Govt to Degazette wilpattu forests 4040
- Muslims rage over Mannar land 4521
- Sampanthan has forgotten his people’s grievanceS 2582
- Anoka’s Mangrove campaign 4125
- Ministry of Megapolis responsible for Meethotamulla TRAGEDY 3246
- Garbage crisis has reached epic proportions 3130
- MR confident of ousting govt next year – Dinesh 2942
- Marikkar pours scorn on Govt, Rajapaksas 3270
- Mahinda Rajapaksa never left the fray – MR 2898
- Solution to problems is removal of Capitalist economy 2690
- Overcoming your own demons:Essential for reconciliation 4244
- SLFP in grip of unwholesome men – Mervyn Silva 1396
- 2 new Deputy Governors soon 2437
- $54M HOTEL ON MARINE DRIVE 2343
- First WTO agreement Colombo session today 2357
- Sluggish authorities hurting construction industry – CCI 2341
- LAUGFS buys Pan Asia Bank stake 2363
- Shares down for 2nd day, foreign inflows continue 2338
- The New Constitution Creating divisions for democracy 1747
- What is Good Governance? 1644
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1882
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1741
- Economics of gambling 1583
- There were no Tamils in Ceylon until arrival of Westerners 1872
- Stallion heralds New Year 4348
- The House that Love Built 4464
- The challenges of self-representation 4339
- Solidarity Award for Prasanna Vithanage 4341
- History of Cinema 4333
- Trans national Cinematic Musical Discourse 3239
- Beware of touchy feeling! 1174
- Dazzling stars illuminated 1162
- G O O D L I F E D i a r i e s 1168
- Cuba 1167
- Science experiments A parachute 1168
- ENJOY WAFFLES TO YOUR HART'S CONTENT 1173