A woman has died and a police officer has been stabbed in the Houses of Parliament in London, in what police are treating as a terrorist incident.
Latest News - World
Microsoft co-founder and philanthropist Bill Gates has defended his title as richest man in the world yet again, meaning that he has now taken the Forbes' top spot for four consecutive years.
Rebels and allied jihadists have launched a new attack in east Damascus, two days after Syrian government forces repelled an initial assault.
A powerful earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.4 has ripped through the Indonesian resort island of Bali.
World Water Day 1637
World Water Day, on 22 March every year, is about taking action to tackle the water crisis. Today, 1.8 billion people use a source of drinking water contaminated with faeces, putting them at risk of contracting cholera, dysentery, typhoid and polio.
The US is banning electronic devices from cabin baggage on flights from eight mainly Middle Eastern and North African countries.
FBI director James Comey has confirmed for the first time that the FBI is investigating alleged Russian interference in the 2016 election.
A top terrorist accused of masterminding some brazen attacks – including the ones on the GHQ and Sri Lankan cricket team – was killed in a US drone strike in southern Afghanistan.
Ousted South Korean President Park Geun-hye is being questioned by prosecutors over a corruption scandal that brought her down.
Dozens of people were feared dead after a passenger plane crashed at an airport in Wau, South Sudan, and then caught fire.
Up to 20 people have died and many have been injured after a large tree fell on them at a popular waterfall spot in Kintampo, Ghana.
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has told China's President Xi Jinping that President Donald Trump looks forward to visiting his country, and to enhancing understanding between the states.
North Korea's state media says its military has tested a new high-performance rocket engine.
French anti-terror prosecutors are investigating an attack at Paris's Orly airport by a gunman who was eventually shot dead by security forces.
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has arrived in China for the final leg of his East Asia tour, which has been dominated by anxieties over North Korea.
The High Commission of Canada to Sri Lanka and The Maldives is aware of recent erroneous media reporting on entry/visa requirement for Sri Lankan business and tourist travellers suggesting changes to Canada's entry requirement for Sri Lankan travellers. This reporting is false.
Britain's communications intelligence agency GCHQ has issued a statement denying it wiretapped Donald Trump during the US presidential campaign.
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II on Thursday granted royal assent to the Brexit bill, giving Prime Minister Theresa May the legal power to start negotiations with the European Union.
A suicide car bomb detonated near an army base in the eastern Afghan province of Khost on Friday, killing one soldier and wounding several before the army repelled at attack on the base by four gunmen, the district chief said.
Forty-two people, mostly civilians, have died in an air strike on a mosque in a rebel-held village in northern Syria, a monitoring group says.
World Water Day 1637
- Cabinet approves President’s proposal 3314
- UNICEF appeals for US$1m funding for SL drought 3305
- Three nabbed brewing moonshine 3300
- Two nabbed with narcotics 3300
- Madras HC issues directive 3305
- ‘Bunty’ captured in Sellakataragama 3309
- JVP condemns Govt attempts to protect criminals 3307
- UK bans laptops and tablets on flights from six ME countries 3301
- Tax on Palmyrah industry hits Northerners hard 3305
- Highest number of TB patients in Kalmunai 3300
- Contradictory messages on transitional justice 3319
- Can China save the global order? 3302
- Russia in Libya 3300
- Cabinet approves Ravi’s proposal 3309
- Buddhika sets Parliament record for petitions 3306
- Police to guard girls’ schools 3299
- ‘Find a good lawyer’ 3297
- President receives warm welcome in Moscow 3297
- Wimal to stay hungry 3298
- Army Chief of Staff 3296
- Take legal action against Sri Lanka 3301
- Greek Bond purchases revealed 3296
- Court orders Army Chief to provide names 3298
- Amunugama to oversee Cabinet Subcommittee 3296
- Arjun’s cohorts attack Journalists 3297
- Nostalgia for Analog 2674
- An oasis in urban Madiwela 3215
- Western encouragement of terrorism 3754
- ‘ProNats’ class adores Gotabaya 3794
- Mangala & MR cross swords over latter’s statement 3803
- Dilemma of protecting freedom of expression 3514
- AA to send 12 Athletes for Asian Grand Prix 2806
- Junior Golf Championship from 18-21 April 2311
- Training Command win men’s/women’s titles 2311
- Milestone event on 26 March 2312
- Nestlè powers Kids Athletics 2311
- Ex-Wallaby details childhood sex abuse 2313
- Jaffna Prepares for Chronic Kidney Disease 3303
- A Blueprint for Disintegration 3303
- Refugee returnee safety still in doubt? 3301
- Tamils lived in N/E before Buddhistic era – Wigneswaran 3314
- Going Up Sir Arthur’s way 3507
- Island nation in Indian Ocean A big draw for US, China 3507
- We await President’s response – Gemunu 3108
- LTTE atrocities also have to be investigated 3697
- Exporters to EU must be educated on Brexit – GM ECCSL Srinath 3251
- Speaker refused our request 3267
- Dinesh only UPFA’s Deputy Leader 3263
- Voters must exercise caution when electing MPs – Harshana Rajakaruna 2560
- Forced family planning is happening countywide – Galagoda Aththe Gnanasara Thera 3865
- ITAK’s arbitrary actions cause conflict in TNA – Sivasakthy Ananthan 3539
- NCSL for Sustainable Development 5199
- Major endorsement of govt’s reconciliation efforts 4697
- Manjula Amarasinghe new CEO of AM Kreations 2313
- Ceylinco Life honours 24/7 trailblazers of 2016 2311
- BOC Cards offer special discounts for Avurudu Shopping 2312
- BMICH remembers founder on Women’s Day 2310
- LAUGFS Eco Sri launches ‘YOU’ for Women’s Day 2312
- CEAT introduces 7 new tyre sizes Increases radial portfolio to 40 sizes 2312
- The crisis in Parliament: Twilight of a functioning democracy 3456
- Mispriced Risk of Infectious Diseases 2400
- Limelight on Sri Lanka again 2397
- Former JVP terror districts continue in poverty 3602
- Valencia stun Real Madrid 2896
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 3217
- Musicalized Version of Nostalgia 5216
- The Many Faces of Galle 6079
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - Part 13 5236
- Fiesta for Theatre lovers 5691
- Viramaya 2017 – Phenomenal success 5223
- Sri Lankan movie at Geneva film festival 5268
- To be or not to be 1290
- Kids get cooking 1288
- Mindfulness for successful living 1299
- The age of nastiness 1289
- 20 years of singing celebrated 1284
- How do we prevent rape and abuse? 1285