Scientists have created bacteria covered in tiny semiconductors that generate a potential fuel source from sunlight, carbon dioxide and water.
Latest News - Sci / Tech
Google has released the latest version of its Android mobile operating system (OS), which is named after Oreo chocolate biscuits.
More than 100 leading robotics experts are urging the United Nations to take action in order to prevent the development of "killer robots".
Microsoft is testing out its new Skype mobile interface in a desktop preview of the company's communication app. The new radical Skype mobile design debuted back in June, and the reception hasn't been positive. Despite that, Microsoft wants to try out a new design on the desktop side. "It's not yet complete and we need your feedback," says a Skype spokesperson.
Instagram is rolling out a new feature today on its iOS and Android apps that'll clear up DM confusion. Users could already reply to photos, videos, and reshared posts sent to their DMs with their own photo or video, but now, a sticker of whatever they're responding to will automatically show up in their reply.
Twitter Inc on Wednesday suspended accounts linked to the neo-Nazi website Daily Stormer, keeping up pressure from Silicon Valley on white supremacists after weekend violence in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Samsung is believed to be hard at work on its next-generation wearable device, dubbed the Gear Fit2 Pro. While some reports have said the Gear Fit2 Pro will be a slightly more polished version of the Gear Fit2, other scattered reports suggest the wearable will be an all-new device. Ahead of the August 23 launch, reputable leakster Evan Blass via VentureBeat has revealed even more details about the upcoming wearable.
Plans to build the world's "largest" data centre are being made public.
Facebook is making a big effort to boost its video presence with the launch of Watch, a new subsection of the social media giant's feature lineup meant to serve as a destination for original episodic shows. Facebook is introducing Watch to a limited number of people in the U.S., and the company hasn't specified when it will roll out more broadly.
Google is cutting the price of its Pixel smartphone just as the company may be preparing to launch a new model.
A Google employee who wrote a controversial memo about workplace diversity has been fired, the BBC can confirm.
The controversial memo broke the firm's code of conduct, Google's chief executive Sundar Pichai said on Monday in an email to employees.
A boom in incinerator-building could make it impossible for the UK to meet future targets for recycling, a report says.
Apple is working on an Apple Watch that does not need to be paired to an iPhone, according to a report.
The Super NES Classic will finally be available to preorder in late August, says Nintendo. The company posted as much on its official Facebook page in a clarifying dispatch that should ease worries about system availability in the lead up to the $79.99 micro-console's September 29 launch.
In the crazy high-end PC gaming graphics card market, you have two choices: AMD or Nvidia. Nvidia presently commands the performance roost with cards at the tip-top of its GeForce 10 series. AMD has trailed its rival at this level for years, opting to instead do battle in the market's budget and mainstream tiers. That's about to change, with the advent of AMD's Radeon RX Vega series.
Nintendo just unveiled the release date for Monster Hunter Stories, a spinoff of publisher Capcom's critter-stalking franchise for the Nintendo 3DS. U.S. owners can buy it for $39.99 on September 8. You can find those details and more in a new trailer for the game.
A split in the Bitcoin community is set to create a new incompatible version of the cryptocurrency on Tuesday.
The creators of several Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) have criticised Apple's decision to remove their products from its App Store in China.
A team of astronomers has potentially discovered the first known moon beyond the Solar System.
Adobe is finally killing off its Flash plugin, the company announced in a blog post on Tuesday.
Microsoft is preparing to kill off Paint.
As malicious hackers mount ever more sophisticated attacks, China is about to launch a new, "unhackable" communications network - at least in the sense that any attack on it would be quickly detected.
China's government has announced a goal of becoming a global leader in artificial intelligence in just over a decade, putting political muscle behind growing investment by Chinese companies in developing self-driving cars and other advances.
Two of the largest dark web marketplaces have been shut down following a "landmark" international law enforcement investigation.
The AlphaBay and Hansa sites had been associated with the trade in illicit items such as drugs, weapons, malware and stolen data.
I really don't know how many Android fans who've bought into Google's ecosystem would favor CarPlay over Android Auto, but maybe Apple's in-car software is your only choice. If that's your situation, you can at least now stream from the Google Play Music iPhone app using Apple's finger-friendly in-car software, as reported by 9to5Mac. The CarPlay version of Play Music is divided into four sections: Home, Recents, Music Library, and Stations. Home is where you'll find recommendations — both based off your listening habits and other influencing factors like the time of day, your mood, or location.
Samsung may be preparing to unveil its sequel to the ill-fated Galaxy Note 7. The South Korean electronics giant just sent out invitations for its next Unpacked event, which will take place in New York on August 23.
Samsung traditionally uses these events to make big announcements around new products, especially those in its Galaxy smartphone line. The company has been known to debut new Note phones around the August and September time frame in years past.
Apple has revealed the new emoji that are coming in the next update. But if you're squeamish, look away now.
YouTube has stopped working for some users.
Scientists have created a low-cost smart glove that can wirelessly translate sign language into text and control objects in virtual reality games. The device, called "The Language of Glove," was built for less than USD 100 using stretchable and printable electronics that are inexpensive, commercially available and easy to assemble.
Facebook's Oculus Rift provides one of the most immersive virtual reality experiences currently possible, but its appeal can be hampered by a cumbersome setup process, high price tag, and complex system requirements. The social media giant hopes to address those concerns with a forthcoming $200 wireless headset that will be lighter than Samsung's Gear VR model, according to a new report from Bloomberg.
Worried your body odour is out of control but suspect your colleagues are too polite to say anything about it? Now there's an app for that, too.
A Japanese tech company has begun selling a device that allows people to self-test their sweaty exteriors for three categories of smell.
The pocket-sized detector, which looks like a tape recorder, connects by Bluetooth to a smartphone app that divulges the potentially ominous results in a suitably discreet manner.
Microsoft has announced end of support for Windows Phone 8.1, and this is literally pulling the plug on the Windows Phone platform. Though phones running the platform will not be bricked, users should not expect any future updates. Microsoft, which has clearly lost interest in the smartphone business over the past few quarters, is yet to announce its plans for Windows 10 Mobile.
Nokia says it is "regrettable" that problems with its Health Mate fitness-tracking app have frustrated users.
Nokia took over health tech firm Withings in 2016 and recently replaced the Withings Health Mate app with a Nokia-branded version.
Health Mate has been downloaded more than one million times from app stores.
Scientists have designed a new nano-material that can reflect or transmit light on demand and may be applied on spacesuits to protect astronauts from harmful cosmic radiation. The material is so thin that hundreds of layers can fit on the tip of a needle and can be applied to any surface, researchers said.
Samsung is releasing a new phone using parts from its Galaxy Note 7, which was axed after a battery fault led to some devices catching fire.
The firm said the Note Fan Edition would "minimise the environmental impact" of its high-profile flop.
The Raspberry Pi has won the UK's top engineering award.
The team behind the device was awarded the Royal Academy of Engineering's MacRobert Prize at a ceremony in London last night.
The tiny computer launched in 2012. Its designers hoped to introduce children to coding and had modest ambitions.
A new Europe-wide wifi service for aeroplanes came a step closer on Wednesday night with the launch of a key satellite from French Guiana.
Super Mario World, Starfox and Yoshi's Island are set to be re-released later this year as part of a new classic SNES console.
The original Super Nintendo Entertainment System, launched in 1990, sold 50 million units worldwide.
Mr Kalanick will remain on the board of the firm, however, the New York Times reported.
His resignation comes after a review of practices at the firm and scandals including complaints of sexual harassment.
Microsoft has upgraded its "Modern Keyboard" with one big highlighted feature – a fingerprint scanner. The successor to the Surface keyboard looks identical in design, but comes with an integrated fingerprint reader that lets users to unlock their Windows machine by pressing the key right to be space bar using Windows Hello.
Microsoft unveiled a radical redesign for Skype earlier this month, with a new look that has Snapchat-like features. While the company has overhauled its Skype apps, there's also a new Skype logo that ditches the fluffy cloud aspects of the past. Brand New has a closer look at the new logo, and a comparison to the old one that everyone knows.
Sony has teased a string of new games for its PSVR virtual reality headset hardware prior to the E3 video games show in Los Angeles.
Microsoft has unveiled the latest games console in its line-up, a more powerful version of the Xbox One called the Xbox One X.
The tech giant touted the machine's specs, including its ability to run games in 4K ultra-HD, ahead of the E3 games show in Los Angeles.
Sony has sold more than one million virtual reality (VR) headsets, the company has said.
President of Sony Interactive Entertainment Atsushi Morita said sales had "exceeded our expectations".
Weeding the garden is possibly one of the least enjoyable tasks for keen gardeners, which is why a robot has been developed to take care of the hard work.
Apple has announced a voice-activated loudspeaker powered by its virtual assistant Siri.
There wouldn't be a lot of advantages to being a member of the Hyalinobatrachium yaku species. You'd be a frog for one thing. You'd be just 0.8 in. (2 cm) long too, meaning you'd be prey for, well, just about anything that lives with you in the Ecuadorean Amazon.
But if it was any consolation, you could at least be sure you'd be unlikely ever to need an MRI, X-ray or CT scan again.
NASA made an announcement, about its first mission to enter directly into the sun's atmosphere, at an event at University of Chicago's William Eckhardt Research Centre on Wednesday.
Elgato's new Eve Degree device will monitor both indoor and outdoor temperatures between zero degrees to 130 degrees Fahrenheit, as well as humidity levels throughout your home. And the best part is that it runs off a replaceable coin cell battery that'll last up to a year.
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg has returned to Harvard University under rainy skies to give a graduation speech and receive an honorary degree.
Weather today 329
- The Sathyagraha was a success 4688
- Demanding release of Tamil political prisoners NPC to stage protest today 3940
- Drinking water scarce in drought hit Kilinochchi 3933
- FEM concerned about migrant workers’ welfare – Thalatha 3931
- Drinking water project for Madhu Church 3938
- Govt should keep its promises – Rathnapriya 3939
- Indian Customs nets 24kg of hashish bound for SL 3926
- Ryan Jayalath further remanded 3933
- NPC appoints new Ministers 3939
- Rs 100 M medical cover for students 3931
- Political uncertainty Bourse’s losses extend to Rs 147B Govt’s Market Borrowing Costs Increase For 2nd Week 3924
- Vithya murder case Vijayakala informed Police to arrest ‘Swiss Kumar’ – CID 3382
- Tax Bill worries GMOA 3933
- New bus fare policy in the works 3921
- Port City land Auction of first plot next year 4040
- TPA hails LG amendment bill 3924
- LG Elections Act JO to protest secret amendments 3927
- Yoshitha is a great chap – Sinniah 3959
- Douglas praises CT Editorial 3925
- Ensuring MSPs adhere to SIM laws TRC Given The Go Ahead 3926
- Rajitha’s personal medical bill Rs 10 M – JVP 4823
- Draft 20A tabled in Parliament 3928
- Foreign submarine detection Navy needs to enhance capabilities – New Navy Chief 3380
- Wijeyadasa sacked He failed to ‘show cause’ during the ‘grace period’ – Prime Minister Cabinet of Ministers collectively violated the Constitution – Wijeyadasa 3932
- The Space Trump Fills in America’s Racial Politics 4146
- RIP Sir Bruce 2126
- Eco-friendly LED light bulbs Migraine on the increase 2132
- Electric Dreams and Nightmares 2564
- Sri Lankans react to Game of Thrones spoilers 3234
- No-Confidence Motions Galore 3504
- SRI LANKA’S NATIONAL CRICKET INEPT PLANNING CAUSE OF CURRENT MORASS – MAHINDA WIJESINGHE 2246
- ‘Singer Cup’ Cricket St. Peter’s meet Sebastian’s in final 2227
- SLADA on high alert at Nationals 2232
- Maxwell suffers mild heatstroke in Bangladesh 2232
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-17 Div.I Cricket St. Servatius advance to final 2227
- Barca seeking 8.5m Euros from Neymar 2229
- Women’s Rugby World Cup England to face Kiwis in final 2129
- Nadal and Federer eye US Open swansong 2223
- Smith turns T20 coach 2224
- Sri Lanka Vs India – 2nd ODI Changes likely for Second ODI 2227
- Colombo Defence Seminar 2017 on 28-29 August Countering Violent Extremism: Global Trends 3206
- Computerized Court systems 3958
- Wear and tear of joints at a glance 2724
- The quest for peace:Let us not ignore crime’s impact 2412
- Sri Lanka’s Hambantota Gambit 2708
- No reasons to object to Marapana’s appointment – GL 2677
- media sensationalizing Crime in Jaffna – Reginold Cooray 3116
- I believe that the current minister of justice must resign – Ashu 2727
- Students won’t give up till demands met – Lahiru 3823
- Referendum needed to postpone polls – Deshapriya 3760
- Listed companies’ earnings up 3% 2762
- Computer literacy up to 27.6% 2763
- ‘Sri Lanka has performed relatively well’ 2782
- LB Finance profit after tax up 3% to Rs 940M 2755
- Shares at 5-month low as Wijeyadasa goes 2759
- Rupee strengthens for second day 2760
- European Central Bank chief defends quantitative easing 2752
- Walmart joins Google to compete with amazon 2749
- Asia markets lose steam after Wall St rally 2748
- THE MYSTERIOUS ART OF APPLYING BRAKES TO A GROWING ECONOMY 2764
- New Constitution Prescription for unknown ailment 3387
- Why did Sri Lanka seek Chinese investments in ports? 3403
- Political administration Adopting a holistic approach 1303
- Six things to do in Sri Lanka 988
- Conquering Ella 981
- Signs of a Job Burnout Should I Quit or Not? 988
- Power of Candles 1108
- An Artful Raconteuse of Mediocrity- Kanchana Priyakantha 1127
- prelate who promoted Buddhist studies in British era 2758
- Principles underlying planetary combinations Understanding and Interpreting their results 2751
- CAUSE OF DEATH- 2 2739
- How to identify 22nd Derkanadhipati 2708
- Shadow planets transit new Houses 2712
- Cinema of Attraction 4501
- The global and local in Hong Kong cinema 4564
- Pakistani Cinema Had Its Own Way of Looking at Partition Too 4250
- Locarno: Sri Lanka’s Sky Entertainers Presents Lineup at Open Doors Lab 4338
- Fitting Social critique 4817
- Collection of critical essays 4213
- Knowledge on the go 2109
- Anxiety: the 21st century pandemic 2265
- Prawn farming – a delicious destruction 2144
- When you hit rock bottom 2172
- Electronic waste – a looming threat 2096
- The humble roti revamped 2105