The Annual Dinner Dance of the Old Anandians' 75-80 Group which is affliated to the Old Boys Association of Ananda College ,will be held at Cinnamon Lakeside, Colombo on 25 February 2017 for the 32nd successive year.
Latest News - Local
Vice Chancellor of the Peradeniya University Prof. Upul Dissanayake says, he will take the most stringent possible action against the 15 students of the Agriculture Faculty, who have been charged with ragging a group of rookie students.
The Central Bank is planning to overhaul the structure for issuing bonds within a more water-tight formula, Central Bank Governor Dr. Indrajit Coomaraswamy said and added that he was surprised at the ad hoc nature hitherto followed in such issues.
There are over 10,000 illegally constructed buildings within the Colombo Municipal Council (CMC) limits, the Ministry of Megapolis said.
Sri Lankan Embassy in Stockholm together with the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau participated at the "Tourest - 2017", the Estonian Travel Fair which was held in Tallinn, Estonia on 10th, 11th and 12th February.
Showery condition is expected to enhance again from 24th February particularly in the southern half of the island, Met. Dept said.
Department of Railway introduced the edited railway time table yesterday (20th Feb.) at the Ministry of Transport and CivilAvaiation. The railway time table was revised by the department after 11 years.
The Health Ministry has decided to test the blood samples of foreigners who come to work on expressways.
The meeting between President Maithripala Sirisena and a group of parents of those who study at the South Asian Institute of Technology and Medicine (SAITM) was postponed to today (21), SAITM Medical Faculty Parents Forum Convener Gemunu Wijeratne said. According to Wijeratne, the meeting was to have taken place with the participation of President Sirisena, SAITM Management and parents, but parents were left out of the meeting at the last moment. It was reliably learnt that mistrust had grown between the parents of the students who do their studies at SAITM and the management of the SAITM.
The Inspector General of Police (IGP) and several other Police Officers have left the island to take part in the 22nd Asia Pacific Operational Drug Enforcement Conference in Tokyo, Japan.
Army personnel who were arrested in connection with the abduction and assault of senior journalist and The Nation Deputy Editor Keith Noyahr have been suspended from duty, military spokesperson Brigadier Roshan Seneviratne said.
MP Namal Rajapaksa arrived at the Commission investigating into allegations of Bribery and Corruption to make a statement regarding personal accounts.
Health minister Rajitha Senarathne has paid his attention to join all the hospitals island-wide with the 'Suryabala Sangramaya' initiative by fixing solar panels.
Army Headquarters has noted with dismay a recent statement, alleged to have been made by the head of an ethnic reconciliation body on sexual exploitation and abuses of Tamil women by the Army in the post war scenario. The Army categorically denies the same as a baseless allegation.
National Law Week 1317
The annual 2017 will be held from 27 February to 4 March 2017 with the participation over 1,000 attorney's islandwide. Number of projects, workshops and activities will be held under the theme 'justice for you' with the assistance of the regional bars comprising both official and unofficial bars.
The Department of Metrology said that showers or thundershowers will occur at times in the Eastern, Southern, Central and Uva Provinces today. According to the Department, showers or thundershowers will also occur elsewhere particularly after 2.00 p.m.
SAITM CEO Dr. Sameera Senaratne who had left for Russia has not yet returned to the island after nine days, although he informed Mulleriyawa Police that he would return in a week, a senior Police officer told Ceylon Today.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has confirmed his participation in UN Vesak Day celebrations to be conducted in Sri Lanka in May this year, a minister said.
Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna (JVP) yesterday criticized the proposed electoral system for upcoming Local Government Election and claimed that it should be held in accordance with the existing system. Addressing the media yesterday, JVP Leader Anura Kumara Dissanayake said that adopting changes to the proposed system will take a long time, hence the Local Government election should be conducted according to the existing system without further delay.
At least ten persons were killed and several others went missing after a boat carrying a group of people sink off Katukurunda coast on Sunday (19).
- NUJ 109th Birth anniversary 3369
- Mangala to urge 24-month extension 3540
- Namal slaps CBK with defamation 3444
- Pakistan still eyeing JF-17 Thunder Fighter sale to Sri Lanka 3151
- CID grills govt Printer, Director, others 3232
- LRC seeks Police protection 3141
- MR to meet Tamil and Muslim leaders 3212
- Leprosy hits western province 3150
- skipper of ill-fated boat remanded 3135
- Raggers will be promptly expelled 3164
- Double-speak from SB on Wimal 3167
- VX nerve agent killed Kim Jong-nam 3141
- More snags foul up Constitution making 3291
- NFPWHR warns of massive protest 3143
- Mangala meets US HDP delegation 3146
- SL Police deny ‘hunting’ refugees in HK 3135
- 1500 students denied Uni education 3219
- SLFP CMs to boycott meeting 3134
- Wimal not a party leader – Dayasiri 3141
- New Zealand-bound boat people held 3128
- Pension for disabled ex-soldiers 3125
- Divorce case ends after 18 years 3196
- Payagala death toll now 16 3954
- MR hits out at CBK 4060
- ONUR refutes Army claims 3949
- February – a celebratory month 3116
- Political mayhem 3134
- Significance of Sri Lanka’s legal profession 3121
- A house divided 3106
- Building castles in the air 3111
- Upholding children’s rights 5652
- Now or never for Havies 2249
- Bad light saves day for Isipathana 2245
- Golfer Arumugam no more 2246
- Royal resist late Joes’ onslaught 2251
- Sadeera's 177 n.o. guides SL 'A' 2242
- Sadeera pushes for Test spot 2520
- Wimal gets short shrift 3368
- BASL in the dock 3294
- Ragging: The ugly truth 3305
- Govt gambling with our lives – KPP protesters 3293
- Keppetipola mansion in bad shape 3288
- Diesel Mafia raises its head again... 3287
- SAITM students will not be accepted by any country– Prof. Hiran Amerasekera 3164
- I have no issues with the Minister– Anoma Gamage 3510
- LG elections should be under new system 3335
- Dr. Sivamohan reiterates preference for foreign intervention 2899
- RICE SHORTAGE AND HIGH PRICES BIG MILL OWNERS TO BLAME SAYS ACPF 3049
- I believe in cooperative politics – Karuna 2013
- I like to talk to diehard Sinhala chauvinists – Wigneswaran 2367
- Justices should be subject to judicial audits 3753
- Traders have imported rice under local branding– Duminda Dissanayake 3629
- CTSU to protest SAITM ruling-on the streets 3875
- Google's self-driving firm sues Uber 2507
- Colombo Fashion Week dates for Summer season, 13 – 18 March 2513
- International Thunder Cat Power Boat Racing in Bentota- a thrilling experience 2508
- BPPL Holdings Limited announces Rs. 368 Mn IPO 2509
- Durdans Lab Service adds ‘Predictive Tests’ for disease prevention 2510
- INSEE Cement wins Green Platinum Award at HarithaSihinaya 2017 2508
- Valencia stun Real Madrid 2731
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 3048
- Fully fledged Media Commission by June – DGI 3079
- Way for True Conciliation! 4244
- Mathews is confident of bouncing back 2850
- Djokovic still the biggest rival, says Murray 3397
- A musical evening-Hindi film songs 3035
- Sitar recital 3031
- Alston Koch to sing at the ‘OSCARS’ after party 3037
- Luang Prabang – A Journey into Sublimity 3033
- Blue all the way 3033
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - Part 10 3035
- Employees rewarded 1327
- Training in excellence 1326
- Human – elephant conflict rears up again 1369
- Nature in its wild pristine beauty 1332
- A touch of Yalpanam 1332
- Blood facts 1328