The South African High Commission in Colombo, on Thursday (25) celebrated 'Africa Day' by hoisting the flag of the African Union. This was followed by a reception hosted by HC for invitees including Honorary Consuls to Countries in Africa, and several staff of diplomatic missions.
Latest News - Local
By Daya Perera and J. T. De Silva
As a step towards preventing underage girls from getting pregnant as well as abuse of children and sexual harassment, the Divisional Monitoring Committee of Parliament on Women and Gender, has decided to teach students from Grade 6-13 in schools the subject of sexuality and reproductive health.
Sri Lanka Navy has deployed over 31 relief, search and rescue teams comprising 197 naval personnel along with 31 relief boats for the prevailing flood situation.
The government of India on the request of Sri Lanka has taken steps to send two ships with relief goods, medical teams and equipment to assist the flood and landslide affected people in Sri Lanka.
Heavy traffic has been reported in and around Colombo due to heavy rain.
Several access roads have become inundated disrupting the rescue boat operations in the Galle District, said District Secretary S.T. Kodikara said this morning at a special Disaster Management meeting.
All the schools in Sabaragamuwa Province have been temporary closed today due to the prevailing torrential rains.
23 killed due to floods and landslides in Ratnapura and Kalutara districts. Rescue operations launched - DMC
Ministry of Home Affairs has introduced the following telephone numbers to inform in the event of a disaster due to the prevailing heavy rains.
An eight-member student delegation, along with their teachers from The City School, Lahore, led by Shazia Zahid, is visiting Sri Lanka from 24 to 28 May, 2017 under a Student Exchange Programme, with Harcourts International School, Sri Lanka.
Within the past 21 hrs very heavy showers were reported from Southern and Sabaragamuwa provinces (Rathnapura meteorological station received a heavy rainfall of 196.7 mm), Met Department says.
The stomach of a dead wild elephant was found to contain over 25 kg of polythene, according to Wild Life officials in the Polonnaruwa District.
BY NIRANJALA ARIYAWANSHA
It has been decided to implement a new security system from 1 June with the objective of providing protection to airlines at the Bandaranaike International Airport.
Heavy rains likely 1832
The South-West monsoon conditions are likely to develop over the country during the next few days, the Department of Meteorology informs.
President Maithripala Sirisena arrived in Canberra this morning (24th May) commencing his three-day State visit on the invitation of the Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.
President Maithripala Sirisena condemns the terrorist attack on a Manchester musical concert that claimed the lives of 22 civilians and injured scores more.
By Sidath Mendis
The All-Island Lottery Dealers' Association (AILDA) yesterday warned that if the National Lotteries Board (NLB) and the Development Lotteries Board (DLB) were to be placed under the jurisdiction of Foreign Minister Ravi Karunanayake, despite the fact that both boards collapsed under him previously, they will opt for trade union action shortly.
18-hour water cut 1268
By Methmalie Dissanayake
The water supply to several parts of Colombo will be disrupted today, for 18 hours, due to urgent repairs, the National Water Supply and Drainage Board (NWSDB) announced yesterday. Accordingly, the water supply will be cut off from 10p.m. today.
Weather Today 1132
South-west monsoon conditions are likely to establish over the country during next few days (particularly from 25th). Hence Showery and windy condition are expected to enhance over the south-western part of the country.
Sri Lanka and Australia enjoy strong bilateral relations and the current state visit of President Maithripala Sirisena will give them quantum jump, says Sri Lankan High Commissioner in Australia Somasundaram Skandakumar.
Weather Today 650
- Helicopter makes emergency landing 3807
- President in Ratnapura 3297
- Flood victims left in hunger – Rajapaksa 3023
- Death toll reaches 180 and 109 missing 2988
- ‘MORA’ blows over to Bangladesh 3854
- Schools in 8 Districts closed till 2 June 2989
- Women go into labour in Chopper 2988
- Life jackets for those in flood-prone areas 2983
- Capt Cool assures an undisrupted fuel supply 2979
- Fear of the FCID 2986
- Obtaining MC services through 2977
- Ex-TNA MP Vinayagamoorthy passes away 2994
- Two loan schemes for flood victims 2989
- Army on vigil at Panapitiya Dam 3633
- Power outage in affected areas 2977
- Northern students pay tribute to flood victims 2988
- Floods and the deterioration of the State 4353
- What’s gone wrong with Indonesia’s democracy? 2972
- Floods, a Curse on Govt – ven.Gnanasara 4293
- India sends second relief ship 3249
- Flood Aid Appeal by Chandima.. 3248
- Navy Task Force removes Wakwella bottleneck 3562
- Schools In Ratnapura, Nivithigala Zones closed 4002
- Bridge Blockage Worsens Gin Ganga Flood threat 3278
- Rough weather to continue 4059
- A calculated & subtle switch from Ports to Petroleum 3449
- Asia centric foreign policy extended to southern Antipodes 2562
- Govt comes in for a lot of flak 2210
- Exploitation in state and private sectors 1914
- A time of gifts Increasing intensity 1862
- India win on D/L method 2753
- No India-Pakistan bilateral series 2746
- I had to change something, says Djokovic 2750
- Top seed Kerber knocked out 2746
- Ferrari clearly favouring Vettel, says Hamilton 2751
- WPNA Netball tourney on 1 July 3138
- Antonians clinch Plate C’ship 2749
- Dixon lucky to walk away alive 3591
- National athletes severely affected by floods 4151
- All Blacks suffer double injury blow 2878
- A HUGE ACHIEVEMENT FOR COUNTRY’S PROGRESS 2668
- Good governance through electoral reforms 2662
- Floods cause havoc 3742
- Rice mafia controls prices 3364
- ‘Yahapalanaya’ an utter failure – People 3192
- LANKAN POLITICS AND SCIENCE LIKE OIL AND WATER! 3306
- China’s long-term plan in Lanka – Carl Zha 3440
- My life is under threat 3203
- Deal opposition and tame opposition silent 4395
- Forefathers of this country were Tamils – Sangaree 3182
- BPPL Holdings’ Net Profit up 42% to Rs 436 million 2314
- Expolanka posts Rs 63B revenue 2316
- CBSL prints money as predicted 2420
- Shares hit near two-week low 2320
- SriLankan to fly to Melbourne nonstop 2322
- Over-regulation stunting shipping development 2336
- Cigarette pricing hurting farmers 2322
- LAUGFS PLANS $150-$200M 2330
- E-SIGNATURE ESSENTIAL TO BOOST EXPORTS 2314
- Relaunch of SonicWall 2314
- Ladies College U-17 team emerge TT champions 2254
- Is Constitution the answer? 1788
- Traps from different quarters 1637
- Bahubali 2: Conclusion 392
- RE-ANIMATOR (1985) 579
- Ghost net sculptures 466
- Walking through the Graveyard of “Disruptive Innovation” Failures 396
- Is Milk really necessary for children? 1155
- Mars into Gemini Challenging period to the government 1925
- Third House Denotes Siblings 1906
- Professions signified by planetary combinations 1909
- SADI SATI OF SATURN OR SHANI ERASHTAKA- 2 1891
- Illnesses indicated by horoscope 1886
- Spiritual mine fields sprawl across Paradise 4199
- ‘Soul’, an evening of original music 2997
- Latest play by Inter Act Art 3007
- From Parents’ Perspective 3916
- Saadaya Maarai Salli Hamarai 3011
- Poetry and Picturesqueness 2982
- One country.Nine Days 1009
- A very successful apple dansala 816
- Zero is here 811
- Second mommy and me cook-off winners crowned 804
- Style and sensibility 796
- A titillating curtain-raiser 796