Private hospital fees will be regulated soon after the report on the regulation of private hospitals is studied, Health Minister Rajitha Senarathne said.
Latest News - Local
The SLTB is planning to soon introduce a special sticker geared towards the safety and protection of all commuters travelling in its buses.
SLTB sources said that through the sticker any commuter could inform the Transport Authority if any driver of SLTB buses were to drive in a reckless manner putting the lives of commuters at risk.
Main Operations Director of the, SLTB C.H.R.T. Chandrasiri said that all depot managers throughout the country have been informed of this measure through a circular issued by the SLTB.
Weather today 1480
Fairly strong winds (up to 40-50kmph) at times can be expected over the island.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has received a message of condolence, addressed to the government and people of Sri Lanka, from the Prime Minister of Japan, Shinzo Abe on 15 April 2017, expressing his heartfelt condolences, and that of his government and people, on the recent disaster at a garbage dump in Sri Lanka, which has led to the unfortunate loss of life and property.
Minister of Rehabilitation, Resettlement and Prison Reforms D.M. Swaminathan has announced that firm decisions, on releasing lands in the North, will be taken, at a high profile meeting, to be held in Colombo, next week.
An earthquake of magnitude 5.7 on the Richter scale was reported in the South Indian Ocean yesterday evening. According to the US Geological Survey National Earthquake Information Centre, the earthquake had been reported at 3.14 p.m. and 1,512 Kilometres from Weligama.
By Charith Gabadage
The University of Peradeniya, which was closed due to a viral flu, will reopen on 18 April.
Weather today 1723
Fairly strong winds (up to 40-50kmph) at times can be expected over the island.
BY UMESH MORAMUDALI AND
The average daily revenue generated through Southern Expressway tolls had increased nearly by 25% during the week prior to Sinhala & Tamil New Year, Expressway Operation, Maintenance and Management Division Director, S. Opanayaka said.
1. The dawn of the New Year
Friday 14th April at 02.04 a.m.
2. Punaya Kalaya (Nonagathaya)
From Thursday 13th April at 07.40 p.m. to Friday 14th April 08.28 a.m.
The temperature in Jaffna, which is currently 35 degrees Celcius, is expected rise to 37 by 15 April, according to the Jaffna Meteorological Department.
President Maithripala Sirisena says the 'Drug free Country' program, inaugurated by the government to build a healthy nation by saving the future generation from the drug menace, has shown successful results.
The Government Medical Officers' Association (GMOA) is attempting to exploit issues relating to the South Asian Institute of Technology and Medicine (SAITM) to create a national crisis with the objective of trying to bring Mahinda Rajapaksa back to power, Health Minister Rajitha Senaratne said yesterday.
The South Asian Institute of Technology and Medicine (SAITM) will abide by the laws of the country and extend its fullest cooperation to the government to help arrive at a just solution to the issues facing its MBBS students. SAITM's Chairman Dr. Neville Fernando said in a media communiqué yesterday, "SAITM will also extend its fullest support for government's efforts to maintain top professional quality standards in medical education in Sri Lanka. SAITM's mission is to complement the higher education sector of Sri Lanka by making available to qualified students higher education opportunities as per the University Grants Commission and the Ministry of Higher Education's regulations and standards."
Weather today 1415
Due to low level atmospheric disturbance in the vicinity of Sri Lanka the prevailing showery condition is expected to enhance during next few days.
Avurudu Neketh Seettuwa (The document containing the auspicious times for the Sinhala and Tamil New Year) was handed over to President Maithripala Sirisena this morning (11th April) at the President's Official Residence in Colombo.
Sri Lanka Navy opened five more RO plants installed in the villages of Damanayaya in Dambulla , Kudagama, Halmillewa and Mayingamuwa in Anuradhapura, Thabbowa in Puttalam, and Thissapura in Medirigiriya.
Automated wheel chairs and crutches were distributed to differently-abled tri forces soldiers yesterday (10th April) at the Defence Ministry.
Manik farm, which sheltered several thousand Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) at the end of the war in 2009 in Vavuniya has now been turned into an agricultural farm by the army in close cooperation with the Department of Agriculture.
Weather today 1228
The possibility for afternoon thundershowers is likely to enhance during next few days (until 15th of April).
Showers or thundershowers will occur at most provinces of the island after 2.00pm.
Weather today 2051
- ‘Garbage Gazette violates FR’ BASL to seek Supreme Court ruling 3747
- Damning EU report puts GSP in doubt 3816
- I could’ve gone blind if not for Arjuna – Prof. Ariyaratne 3588
- CPC walks out en masse tomorrow Huge Opposition to Trinco Oil Tank Agreement 3500
- President arrogates powers Ultra Vires 3517
- Anti-smoking measures flop 3475
- Anti-garbage ‘mafia’ exposed 2613
- Over 200,000 expected 2374
- JVP condemns gazette notification 2360
- President’s Gazette Violates Rights – CRPS 2437
- Canberra toughens process 2361
- Police deployed to crush protests 2358
- 19 sailors barred from leaving Sri Lanka 2580
- SL maid arrested seven years later 2368
- President’s Proposals on SAITM Contradictory 2384
- 30 houses for M’thotamulla victims 2346
- Pre-polls boost for JSS 2368
- Putin sends Russian troops to NK 2513
- Inflation hits 8.6% in March 2347
- First ever Colombo session opens Monday 2355
- Ranil in India next week 2350
- Japanese experts to offer advice 2336
- Garbage disposal declared ‘essential service’ 2328
- China provides US$ 107M 2364
- SC fixes 24 April for support 2329
- Seeking sustainable development in neoliberalism 2724
- A time of gifts Settling down at Oxford 2285
- Enactment of legislation Protecting armed forces 2240
- Butterflies in my stomach 2217
- Army deserters and gun culture 2893
- LAW OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE 2903
- Super U-19 Provincial L/O Cricket Ten Provincial Teams to participate 2203
- Sri Lanka U-19 tour to Australia Fifth Youth ODI Match today 2195
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Division II Inter Schools (Two Day Knock-out) Tournament Exchanges even at Maggona 2198
- Tintu, Nimali and Gayanthika to battle for 800m honours 2200
- Djokovic looking for answers after loss in Monte Carlo 2200
- Young tells United to aim high 2197
- Want Govt to Degazette wilpattu forests 4001
- Muslims rage over Mannar land 4340
- Rajitha and Naveen at cross purposes 4005
- John and Rose clash over ATDA 4024
- Betwixt political trash and mounting garbage 4004
- Jumbo killing Wildlife disaster 4001
- Ministry of Megapolis responsible for Meethotamulla TRAGEDY 3089
- Garbage crisis has reached epic proportions 3057
- MR confident of ousting govt next year – Dinesh 2893
- Marikkar pours scorn on Govt, Rajapaksas 3247
- Mahinda Rajapaksa never left the fray – MR 2875
- Solution to problems is removal of Capitalist economy 2676
- Overcoming your own demons:Essential for reconciliation 4225
- SLFP in grip of unwholesome men – Mervyn Silva 1384
- No personal grudge against President – Gammanpila 2275
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2352
- Microsoft rallies finance leaders to embrace future 2612
- SLIM elects Elangovan Karthik as new President 2605
- ikman.lk revamps ‘ikman Deals’ with new features 2601
- JWT Sri Lanka expands with ‘Fortune’ 2602
- Hirdaramani tops JASTECA awards list for 2nd year 2598
- Forbes and Walker Tea Awards 2016 Hayleys Plantations bags 20 awards 2600
- The New Constitution Creating divisions for democracy 1727
- What is Good Governance? 1622
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1864
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1735
- Economics of gambling 1574
- There were no Tamils in Ceylon until arrival of Westerners 1866
- Stallion heralds New Year 4314
- The House that Love Built 4363
- The challenges of self-representation 4312
- Solidarity Award for Prasanna Vithanage 4310
- History of Cinema 4310
- Trans national Cinematic Musical Discourse 3218
- Beware of touchy feeling! 1145
- Dazzling stars illuminated 1138
- G O O D L I F E D i a r i e s 1142
- Cuba 1135
- Science experiments A parachute 1139
- ENJOY WAFFLES TO YOUR HART'S CONTENT 1142