Two persons possessing ganja were arrested yesterday (16), Police Media Unit informed.
Latest News - Local
General Manager of National Water Supply and Drainage Board, Engineer G.A. Kumararathna told Ceylon Today that the water supply would be limited in certain areas by the first week of February due to the severe drought.
The Vice Chancellors of all State universities have been given instructions to conduct their activities according to the 'green' concept directed by Minister Lakshman Kiriella, the Ministry of Higher Education and Highways, announced yesterday.
The National Disaster Center established at the Government Information Department in a statement issued, announced that 143,598 persons belonging to 42,010 families across the island have been affected by the dry weather and the prevailing drought.
Police have launched investigations into an incident in which a lady has died due to severe burn injuries inside an isolated house in Mahawela.
The National Joint Three-Wheeler Drivers' Association has requested the Transport Minister to amend some points issued in a Gazette Notification regarding three-wheel operators.
The All Ceylon Lottery Marketing Representatives Association said that until a price of a lottery ticket, which is being sold at Rs. 30 at present, is reduced to Rs 20 they will boycott selling of lottery tickets continuously across the island from today.
A sudden fire has erupted in a forest area in Ilukakati- Kanda yesterday (15), Police Media Unit said.
Man commits suicide 1584
A man has committed suicide by jumping in front of a train heading towards Galle yesterday (15), Police said.
10 out of 34 suspects arrested over clashes in Hamabantota granted bail. 24 suspects remanded till 30 January.
An accident occurred when a bicycle was run over by a car on Horagolla - Wathupitiwala Road in Nittambuwa.
An eleven-year-old child had died after falling into a pond in Panama yesterday (15), the Police Media Unit said.
Lotteries Board sources say that preparations are underway to bring National Lotteries Board and the Development Lotteries Board under the purview of President Maithripala Sirisena.
The government is to introduce a circular to make it compulsory to keep Air Conditioners on or above 26 Celsius, Electricity and Renewable Energy Minister Ranjith Siyambalapitiya said.
The book, Buddhist Ideals of Good Governance will be launched today (16) at Waters Edge Hotel in Battaramulla at 4.00 pm. President Maithripala Sirisena will be the Chief Guest.
The Epidemiology Unit of the Ministry of Health has reported 1,311 patients island-wide suspected as dengue so far this year.
Thai Pongal is celebrated on the first day of the month Thai of the Tamil calendar.
A youth died in a head on collision between a lorry and a motorcycle at Thelawatte junction in Negombo yesterday (13), Police Media Unit told Ceylon Today online.
Sri Lankan popular singer Deepal Silva, which was known as "Podi Lamaya" has died at the age of 50.
A man committed suicide by jumping in front of a train proceeding towards Kosgama near the Uggalla Railway Station last night (13), police said.
Taboo to SLFPers 1688
- More job opportunities for local seafarers 291
- Tamil Diaspora lobbies against GSP plus 294
- Foreign exits pass Rs 75B mark 291
- Peace Airways to fly six A 380s from Mattala 298
- Poor quality fuel re-enters market 291
- Wiggy returns from Canada with ‘cough’ 4588
- Control the price of rice 3756
- 15 families move into DS office 3759
- SLFP moots LG polls under ‘FPP’ 3764
- Conman takes parents on Rs 3 M ride 4004
- Hakeem wants Govt rethink 3777
- Delimitation report gazetted soon 3749
- Six injured in home-and-home feud 3764
- Fine increased to Rs 200,000 3789
- Tamil ‘State Language’ in Tamil Majority Areas 3775
- Imported Rice Not above Rs 76 a kilo 3746
- President appeals: ‘Avert energy crisis’ 3742
- ‘I’ll turn the tables in a jiffy’ 3771
- JVP ups Anti-Govt Initiatives 3746
- Taboo to SLFPers 3763
- SLPP will shun UPFA nominations 3759
- Lagarde lauds SL’s economic efforts 3744
- Thousands protest in USA 3748
- Two exclusive HCs to hear cases? 3967
- Dengue strikes UK envoy 4581
- A Commonwealth Quartet 3629
- CTF recommendations and hybrid court 3612
- Singing in Paradise 3613
- Galle and its annual literary festival 3590
- SRI LANKANS AND THE ROYAL ACCOLADES 3590
- DONALD TRUMP…CHUMP, MORON, PARADOX 3077
- Molligoda in final 33
- CCC take first innings points 35
- Nipun scores second ton 35
- SL rout Zim by 7 wickets 37
- SL returns to Wanderers to save the series 35
- Kandy seal win with first-half blitz 35
- The vision a nightmare; the revenue a myth! 97
- A Rishad canard! 94
- Flying high in ‘Velvet city’ 96
- Govt has no business in our bedrooms 94
- Woman returns home after 26 years of captivity 92
- Drought plays havoc 93
- Coal industry mafia sacked me 117
- I have a responsibility to correct this Govt 117
- A NEW CONSTITUTION A MUST 3337
- WIDER PARTICIPATION MANDATORY FOR PEOPLE-FRIENDLY CONSTITUTION 3941
- Political furnace heating up once more 3233
- No need for a new Constitution 3923
- People are sick of the same old faces 2976
- Sarath Silva Slams Tinkering in Law/Constitution 4291
- No property in Wimal’s name – Shashi Weerawansa 6263
- Government rushing into self-destruction 2938
- China’s economy grows 6.7% in 2016 77
- Back-up plan to seek partner for SriLankan 76
- China posts weakest growth in 26 years 77
- Political ramifications complicate fiscal consolidation 78
- CBSL retires Rs 34.1B T-Bills 79
- FTA with NZ in the offing 77
- Way for True Conciliation! 3864
- Mathews is confident of bouncing back 2669
- Djokovic still the biggest rival, says Murray 3264
- Odissi dance recital Taal Taranga 176
- Candid and Undeterred remarks on Luke Wright 177
- Enchanting scrutiny into historical novels 179
- Davena Vihagun (aka Burning Birds) for The Ingamar Bergman Film Award 176
- Rev. Fr. Harold Panditharatne – Teacher Par Excellance 177
- Postnational cinema? 177
- Authentic poetry rewarded 45
- Kala Pola 2017 44
- A mighty platform for the creative writer 46
- The start of a new year 46
- Special Chinese New Year food festival 46
- Escape to Sigiriya 45