Minister of Foreign Affairs and Development Assignments Tilak Marapana left for New Delhi, on his first overseas visit after assuming office as Minister of Foreign Affairs.
Latest News - Local
The 71st anniversary celebrations of the UNP scheduled to be held in Ratnapura on Sunday (10th Sept.) has been postponed due to bad weather.
Thundershowers and heavy rainfall is expected in the Western, Southern, Sabaragamuwa, Central and North-Western Provinces.
Department of Meteorology Spokesperson S. Premalal said, the prevailing showery conditions...... in the island, particularly in the South-Western region would likely continue today (8) and tomorrow (9).
A commemoration of the 21st death anniversary of Jaffna school girl Krishanthy Kumaraswamy, who was brutally gang-raped and murdered by security personnel in 1996, was held yesterday (7) at Chemmani in Jaffna, organized by Northern Provincial Councillor M.K Sivajilingam.
Budget 2018 will be presented to Parliament on 9 November, Minister of Finance and Mass Media, Mangala Samaraweera said in Parliament yesterday.
By Nuwan Hettiarachchi
Chairman of the Public Platform National Movement Ven. Ulapane Sumangala Thera has questioned how the Sinhala newspaper, Janayugaya, which is alleged to have been...... published with funds accrued from the CB bond scam, is supplied with millions of rupees worth of Government advertisements.
Four soldiers were injured in a grenade that had accidently exploded during a training session today(7) in Morawewa, in the Trincomalee District.
Hundreds of Army troops on the directions of the Commander of the Army, Lieutenant General Mahesh Senanayake have rushed to island-wide vulnerable areas to provide relief and engage in rescue operations, if necessary in the wake of worsening weather conditions due to heavy rains in the past 48 hours.
Villagers of Pilakkudiyiruppu in Keppapilavu, Mullaitivu said, "We retained our lands after a long struggle, since then, authorities have ignored to provide us with the basic needs to live on our own lands,"
The Kukuleganga Spill Gates were opened today (7) and the general public living in the low lying surrounding areas have been advised to take precautions and evacuate if possible, said the National Building Research Organisation (NBRO).
The National Building Research Organization (NBRO) issued a warning on the possibility of landslides, slope failures, rock falls, cutting failures and ground subsidence for several districts, due to the prevailing weather.
The official handing over of an Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV), which had earlier belonged to the Indian Coast Guard, to Sri Lanka took place yesterday (05 September 2017) at the Port of Kochi, India. The vessel after assigning the pennant number CG 60 will join the Sri Lanka Coast Guard.
- Beetle in Lankan tea shipment to Russia Exporter to be spared says Pethiyagoda
- Canadian Police probe ‘suspicious’ deaths of billionaire couple
- Stock Market Investor losses extend to Rs 94B
- Use of polythene in political rallies CEA to take on offenders
- Draft Legislation HRCSL advice not sought – UN Experts
- Drugs and drug users on the increase
- No NICs for 500,000 Lankans 300,000 are registered voters Bulk without birth certificates
- Growth decelerates to 3.3%
- UN damns Lanka 14,000 minors in childcare centres Calls for urgent reforms
- Russia restricts Lanka tea over beetle scare Top-level delegation off to Moscow
- Call to criminalize marital rape Justice Ministry seeks Cabinet approval
- Jumbo killings Armed protection unit to be set up Fines, jail terms to be increased
- Crossovers loom prior to polls
- SC issues notice on Elections Chief
- Jilted SLFP shuns JO forever
- CEB TU threatens strike Gives 18th as ultimatum
- Gnanasara Thera’s request for foreign travel denied
- Chinese envoy says OBOR will take Sino-Lanka ties to new level
- Police Chief in pre-poll warning Errant officers will be dealt with strictly
- Court extends Stay Order on Gota case
- Sriyani as State Minister of PCs and LG JO crossover pledged support for MS
- Rains to prevail Landslide warning to Galle, Kalutara to be reviewed
- BJP lauds ‘Ram Setu’ findings Hits out at critics
- Two held for impersonation at exam centre
- Female Genital Mutilation Advice sought from medical experts
- Visakhapatnam will favour the home team Batsmen to dominate decider
- Jadeja hits six sixes in an over
- Ntini’s son Thando in SA U-19 World Cup squad
- Neves stunner guides Wolves
- Westbrook nets triple double for Thunder
- Don’t see me making a WI comeback - Dwayne Bravo
- FIFA threatens to boot Spain out of World Cup
- SL lose two matches in T10s
- Army can dominate Air Force
- Smith and Marsh put attack to sword
- Govt backtracks on anti-coal policy Two 600MW coal plants coming up
- Lankan company in pioneering global innovation
- Increasing worker remittances: Not a sign of prosperity
- Russian ban on Sri Lankan tea imports Navin to rush to Russia Ban comes into effect tomorrow, despite preventive efforts
- Dialog, RPC in CSE’s S&P SL20
- ADB loans Government US$ 270 million
- Japan expands unilateral sanctions against North Korea
- Purchasing Managers’ Index accelerates
- THASL educates Deputy Principals on Hospitality Management
- Financial Intelligence Unit signs MoU with Sri Lanka Police
- Protect Wilpattu Movement set in motion 5K strong turnout march in peaceful protest to UN office & handover petition
- Concretes & Abstracts Faith, Wayside Shrines & Urban Sprawl
- TGTE using Lawyers to challenge SL’s 6th amendment
- Christmas cheer is in the air!
- So, this is Christmas!
- New Land Draft BiLL Political wrangling hinders ironing out complex land issues
- We (don’t) need a Messiah Champika has failed to maintain what Mangala designed and Gota delivered
- M12M on the campaign trail Spotlight on polls and criminal elements
- Lord Naseby vs the Sri Lanka Campaign War is over, but body count debate continues
- Women’s quota in LG elections Historic opportunity Elect qualified, capable women– not wives & relatives of thugs
- Maithri should not sit in a Cabinet sans SLFPers
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- Sirisena Presidency - A Parallax View As foretold by Sobhitha Hamuduruwo
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Millennials and Marriages
- Abu Dhabi to acquire ‘Salvator Mundi’
- MacOs High Sierra security fix
- Are Lemurs Going Extinct?
- An Echo of Womanhood
- Kemadruma Yoga An evil yoga cancelling all other favourable yogas
- Sun into Sagittarius ‘Kona Month’ has just begun
- Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
- Five Yoga Poses to Calm Your Mind
- Rahu in 7th House and marriage
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- I don’t get asked out
- Homemade apple & Chocolate Bodywash
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES Grinch Cupcakes
- New York Blast Terror charges filed against NY bomber
- Saga of Kohukumbure Rate Rala
- Attygalle murder and John Kotelawala Senior’s suicide