Colombo District Judge Sujeewa Nissanka said Court would on 29 September decide whether to proceed with a petition, seeking an order that former President Mahinda Rajapaksa be re-appointed as Chairman of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP).
Latest News - Local
The Local Government Elections will not be held on 9 December (Saturday), as stated previously, as it will clash with the General Certificate of Education (GCE) Ordinary Level Examination which is due to begin on 12 December.
A civil society group named 'Eliya' (Light), headed by former Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa, is to be formed today (6) at 5:00 p.m. at Golden Rose Hotel Boralesgamuwa.
On receipt of information to the Navy, Coast Guard personnel attached to the Western Naval Command in coordination with the official of Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources apprehended a person with 272 kg of Thresher Shark during a raid carried out at the Fish Market Complex in Negombo yesterday (04 September 2017).
Wild elephants have become a problem to the paddy cultivators in the Ampara District. These animals have begun to raid the fields in search of food.
The Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) has announced that the power supply will be interrupted in several places in the Northern Province due to maintenance, repairs, and to improve the infrastructure facilities.
By Ishara Gamage
Shortcomings in investment facilitation and policy uncertainty are constraints to attracting investments, Sri Lanka's Unity Government said in its 'Vision 2025 a country enriched' eight-year policy statement.
Madurai Meenakshi, a classical dance recital, depicting the story of Goddess Meenakshi, will be performed by the artistes of Natya Kala Mandhir, Colombo. This cultural event is being presented in association with The India Sri Lanka Foundation, on Tuesday, 5 September 2017, at 5.45 p.m. at the Ramakrishna Mission Hall, Wellawatte.
Former Chairman of the Development Lotteries Board Sarana Gunawardene arrested by the CCD for misusing state resources
National Building Research Organization (NBRO) due to the heavy rainfall within the past 24 hours, which exceeded 100 mm, has issued landslide warning for four districts.
Western Provincial Council vote on the proposed 20th amendment to the Constitution postponed again.
Vision 2025 'A Rich Country', the Economic Development Plan of the government for the next eight years will be unveiled today (4th Sept.) 3.00 p.m. at the BMICH.
- Beetle in Lankan tea shipment to Russia Exporter to be spared says Pethiyagoda
- Canadian Police probe ‘suspicious’ deaths of billionaire couple
- Stock Market Investor losses extend to Rs 94B
- Use of polythene in political rallies CEA to take on offenders
- Draft Legislation HRCSL advice not sought – UN Experts
- Drugs and drug users on the increase
- No NICs for 500,000 Lankans 300,000 are registered voters Bulk without birth certificates
- Growth decelerates to 3.3%
- UN damns Lanka 14,000 minors in childcare centres Calls for urgent reforms
- Russia restricts Lanka tea over beetle scare Top-level delegation off to Moscow
- Call to criminalize marital rape Justice Ministry seeks Cabinet approval
- Jumbo killings Armed protection unit to be set up Fines, jail terms to be increased
- Crossovers loom prior to polls
- SC issues notice on Elections Chief
- Jilted SLFP shuns JO forever
- CEB TU threatens strike Gives 18th as ultimatum
- Gnanasara Thera’s request for foreign travel denied
- Chinese envoy says OBOR will take Sino-Lanka ties to new level
- Police Chief in pre-poll warning Errant officers will be dealt with strictly
- Court extends Stay Order on Gota case
- Sriyani as State Minister of PCs and LG JO crossover pledged support for MS
- Rains to prevail Landslide warning to Galle, Kalutara to be reviewed
- BJP lauds ‘Ram Setu’ findings Hits out at critics
- Two held for impersonation at exam centre
- Female Genital Mutilation Advice sought from medical experts
- Visakhapatnam will favour the home team Batsmen to dominate decider
- Jadeja hits six sixes in an over
- Ntini’s son Thando in SA U-19 World Cup squad
- Neves stunner guides Wolves
- Westbrook nets triple double for Thunder
- Don’t see me making a WI comeback - Dwayne Bravo
- FIFA threatens to boot Spain out of World Cup
- SL lose two matches in T10s
- Army can dominate Air Force
- Smith and Marsh put attack to sword
- Govt backtracks on anti-coal policy Two 600MW coal plants coming up
- Lankan company in pioneering global innovation
- Increasing worker remittances: Not a sign of prosperity
- Russian ban on Sri Lankan tea imports Navin to rush to Russia Ban comes into effect tomorrow, despite preventive efforts
- Dialog, RPC in CSE’s S&P SL20
- ADB loans Government US$ 270 million
- Japan expands unilateral sanctions against North Korea
- Purchasing Managers’ Index accelerates
- THASL educates Deputy Principals on Hospitality Management
- Financial Intelligence Unit signs MoU with Sri Lanka Police
- Protect Wilpattu Movement set in motion 5K strong turnout march in peaceful protest to UN office & handover petition
- Concretes & Abstracts Faith, Wayside Shrines & Urban Sprawl
- TGTE using Lawyers to challenge SL’s 6th amendment
- Christmas cheer is in the air!
- So, this is Christmas!
- New Land Draft BiLL Political wrangling hinders ironing out complex land issues
- We (don’t) need a Messiah Champika has failed to maintain what Mangala designed and Gota delivered
- M12M on the campaign trail Spotlight on polls and criminal elements
- Lord Naseby vs the Sri Lanka Campaign War is over, but body count debate continues
- Women’s quota in LG elections Historic opportunity Elect qualified, capable women– not wives & relatives of thugs
- Maithri should not sit in a Cabinet sans SLFPers
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- Sirisena Presidency - A Parallax View As foretold by Sobhitha Hamuduruwo
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Millennials and Marriages
- Abu Dhabi to acquire ‘Salvator Mundi’
- MacOs High Sierra security fix
- Are Lemurs Going Extinct?
- An Echo of Womanhood
- Kemadruma Yoga An evil yoga cancelling all other favourable yogas
- Sun into Sagittarius ‘Kona Month’ has just begun
- Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
- Five Yoga Poses to Calm Your Mind
- Rahu in 7th House and marriage
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- I don’t get asked out
- Homemade apple & Chocolate Bodywash
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES Grinch Cupcakes
- New York Blast Terror charges filed against NY bomber
- Saga of Kohukumbure Rate Rala
- Attygalle murder and John Kotelawala Senior’s suicide