Trade Unions attached to the Railway Department have called off the strike scheduled for midnight tonight. The decision follows a meeting with the Prime Minister's Secretary this morning.
Latest News - Local
By Rathindra Kuruwita
The Government must increase the taxes on cigarettes, between 4 – 5 per cent from 2018 Budget, in view of increase in the per capita income, Dr. Palitha Abeykoon, Chairman of the National Authority on...... Tobacco and Alcohol (NATA) said yesterday, addressing media.
A suspect was taken into custody at the Arrival Lounge by the Customs Narcotic Control unit of the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) for attempting to smuggle several high value precious metals into the country today (19).
By Gagani Weerakoon
in New York
The coming Friday (22) will be extremely crucial for Sri Lanka with UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Al Hussein expected to have a one-on-one meeting with President Maithripala Sirisena here in New York.
President Maithripala Sirisena on Monday (18) joined the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), a high level discussion on political reforms.
BY KAMAL WEERARATNE
Former Governor of the Central Bank (CB) Arjuna Mahendran has been summoned to appear before the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (PCol), which is probing the Treasury Bonds scam, at 10 a.m. today.
Five individuals were injured when a five storey building collapsed on top of them today (18) morning at Palassagama in the Ahangama Police Division said the Police Media Unit.
President Maithripala Sirisena has promised the Joint Opposition (JO) that the Amended Draft Bill on establishing the Office of the Missing Persons (OMP) would not be presented to Parliament on Thursday (21).
By Skandha Gunasekara
Sri Lanka Police, in partnership with Asiri Health, will launch the 'Sri Lanka Best Driver Campaign' where 'good' drivers in Colombo have a chance of winning rewards to the tune of Rs 10 million.
The Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) Technical Engineers and Superintendents Association (TESA) has decided to join the strike launched by trade unions of the CEB with effect from midnight tonight (18).
The Ministry of Power and Renewable Energy has requested all striking workers to return to work, after announcing that the two days of the strike will be considered as holidays with pay for all employees.
The working hours of offices in Battaramulla will be flexible starting tomorrow (18), as a solution to the traffic congestion in Colombo.
- Long term conciliation in Korea
- Germany and Europe: A New Relationship?
- Key role to strengthen SLFP -Wijewickrama
- Blood donation at SEUSL
- Faizer Mustapha says Muslims must trust SLFP and President
- Construction of Kerawalapitiya LNG Power Plant Political pressure blocks tender award
- One cannot expect failed rebels to become effective administrators MR
- FTA with Singapore Professionals claim Govt misleading public
- Alleged manhandling of principal:CM QUITS EDUCATION PORTFOLIO, pending probe
- 60 arrested in Kataragama mayhem
- Call to roll back FBR rule for female workers Thousands of foreign jobs in limbo - ALFEA
- Alleged manhandling of principal: CM QUITS EDUCATION PORTFOLIO, pending probe
- Senior Journalist Jatila Wellaboda passes away
- Hunt on for missing Police weapon Team flees Jumbo charge during ganja raid
- ‘Gender-based violence on the rise at Pera Uni’
- New Ambassador-Designate of China arrives in SL
- Two SLPPers pledge support to President Sirisena
- Wants Armed Forces out of Jaffna
- Using a dog as live bait to capture Panmure leopard Environmentalists cry foul
- PRESIDENT TO TAKE OVER ECONOMY AFTER LG POLLS
- Only fraction of requested funds sent to NPC last year Lack of funds derails development plans – CM
- US Govt in shutdown
- PCoI report on Bonds issue AG holds back 103 pages
- Alarming Police statistics reveal 3 underage girls raped every day!
- LANKAN LAWS SUFFICIENT ARJUNA MAHENDRAN CAN BE ARRESTED – AG
- Acceptance of new NSFs by NOC NOC Members expect further clarification from IOC
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Cambrians win by an innings
- 92nd National Boxing Championship Army retain men’s title MAS Unichela emerge women’s champs
- Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon Madumali finishes 11th with PB
- Man City back on track
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Div.II Cricket St. John’s advance to semis
- Sainz survives dunes to win Dakar Rally
- Nadal survives test, Wozniacki turns on style
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Plate Championship begins today
- Premier League Club Cricket – Tier ‘B’ Panadura SC crush Galle CC
- China, Sri Lanka and the ‘Politics of Investment’ What are the sources and impact of China’s economic leverage?
- Swaps boost liquidity by over 1,000%
- Rocell among Top 20 Sri Lankan Brands
- Bupa Global Insurance to further develop SL operations
- What happens at the World Economic Forum?
- Investigate losses in the CSE, T-Bond issues from 2008-14: Presidential Commission
- IMF has choked Tunisia, and now the people are protesting
- Will we ever be able to trust driverless cars?
- Gateway Graduate School and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University sign MOU Innovative Aerospace dual enrolment programme outside US
- World markets hammer higher on rising metal prices
- Foreign missions’ failure to correct Sri Lanka’s tarnished image Tamil Diaspora vilifications
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Dying art of sending postcards
- The Pursuit of Peace Starting at SCOPP
- Vote for women this LG Polls
- Block law’s lacunae Not letting bond thieves go scot-free
- Europe prods homeless with spikes and cold showers
- UN warns of South Sudan’s ‘lost generation’ grinding conflict
- Hazardous multi-plug on the way out
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- I have a master plan - Salley
- All set for Free and Fair LG Polls – Mahinda Deshapriya
- If given power We’ll develop country in two years -Chandrasiri Mahagamage
- Upcoming LG Elections a referendum
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Jumanji’s Adventure Remake In Theatres Now
- PLAN AHEAD
- The Darker Side of Christmas
- For a hopeful tomorrow
- Millennials and Marriages
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter