CID arrests two more Army officers in connection with the assault on senior jornalist Keith Noyahr.
Latest News - Local
President Maithripala Sirisena has given instructions to the officials to provide an allowance of Rs.10,000 per month for all agricultural family who are affected by the prevailing dry weather condition over the island.
A sudden fire has occurred in a 5th floor of a building on Prince Street in Pettah, earlier morning today (18).
New laws will be drafted to punish all politicians and State officials who fail to disclose their assets and liabilities in the future.
Showery condition is expected to enhance from today evening, particularly in the southern half of the island.
The Women's Wing of the Joint Opposition (JO) is planning to stage an anti-government protest on the sidelines of the International Women's Day which falls on 8 March, sources said.
Heavy traffic reported from Technical Junction, Maradana today due to a protest march organized by the Inter University Students Federation (17).
Fairly strong gusty winds are expected over the country (up to 40-50kmph) and surrounding sea areas (up to 60kmph).
The Court of Appeal yesterday fixed 16 March, for Mention, the Writ Application filed against the suspension of the Carlton Sports Network (CSN) channel.
Gotabaya at FCID 1510
Former Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa arrived at the FCID to give a statement regarding the depositing of gold in Sanda-Hiru-Saya in Anuradhapura, a short while ago.
Minister of Education Akila Viraj Kariyawasam yesterday summoned the Principals of Ananda, Nalanda and D.S. Senanayake Colleges, over Wednesday's clash involving students from these schools.
The Report of the Delimitation Appeals Committee will be gazetted today (17), Minister of Provincial Councils and Local Government Faiszer Musthapha said.
SLMC meets today 1644
A special discussion is to be held by the Sri Lanka Medical council (SLMC) today to discuss the SAITM issue, sources said.
Secretary of the Ministry of Consumer Affairs C.S. Lokuhetti said that following intervention by President Maithripala Sirisena the country's rice shortage was resolved by last afternoon.
The official ceremony granting the Right to Information to the public will be held today (17th Feb) at 10.30 am under the patronage of President Maithripala Sirisena.
Opposition Leader of the Australian Parliament Bill Shorten commended the initiatives being taken by the National Unity Government of Sri Lanka for the unity and the reconciliation among communities.
Battle on the street 1485
Fifteen students have been arrested in the Maradana and Borella Police Divisions after a brawl that broke out yesterday between students of Ananda College and Nalanda College, a Police source said.
Cabinet approved the purchase of 20 sniffer dogs that would be deployed at the Bandaranaike International Airport at the cost of Rs 12.5 million.
Cabinet has approved an international sovereign bond issue of US $ 1,500 million which lies within the overall external commercial borrowings limit stipulated in the 2017 Budget, Cabinet Spokesman Gayantha Karunathilake said.
Eight Deans of Medical Faculties under the UGC have submitted the following observations outlining the implications of the SAITM Court Order for standards of medical education in Sri Lanka, as well as its implications for provision of safe healthcare services in the country.
- NUJ 109th Birth anniversary 3369
- Mangala to urge 24-month extension 3540
- Namal slaps CBK with defamation 3444
- Pakistan still eyeing JF-17 Thunder Fighter sale to Sri Lanka 3151
- CID grills govt Printer, Director, others 3232
- LRC seeks Police protection 3141
- MR to meet Tamil and Muslim leaders 3212
- Leprosy hits western province 3150
- skipper of ill-fated boat remanded 3135
- Raggers will be promptly expelled 3164
- Double-speak from SB on Wimal 3167
- VX nerve agent killed Kim Jong-nam 3141
- More snags foul up Constitution making 3291
- NFPWHR warns of massive protest 3143
- Mangala meets US HDP delegation 3146
- SL Police deny ‘hunting’ refugees in HK 3135
- 1500 students denied Uni education 3219
- SLFP CMs to boycott meeting 3134
- Wimal not a party leader – Dayasiri 3141
- New Zealand-bound boat people held 3128
- Pension for disabled ex-soldiers 3125
- Divorce case ends after 18 years 3196
- Payagala death toll now 16 3954
- MR hits out at CBK 4060
- ONUR refutes Army claims 3949
- February – a celebratory month 3116
- Political mayhem 3134
- Significance of Sri Lanka’s legal profession 3121
- A house divided 3106
- Building castles in the air 3111
- Upholding children’s rights 5652
- Now or never for Havies 2249
- Bad light saves day for Isipathana 2245
- Golfer Arumugam no more 2246
- Royal resist late Joes’ onslaught 2251
- Sadeera's 177 n.o. guides SL 'A' 2242
- Sadeera pushes for Test spot 2520
- Wimal gets short shrift 3369
- BASL in the dock 3294
- Ragging: The ugly truth 3305
- Govt gambling with our lives – KPP protesters 3293
- Keppetipola mansion in bad shape 3288
- Diesel Mafia raises its head again... 3287
- SAITM students will not be accepted by any country– Prof. Hiran Amerasekera 3164
- I have no issues with the Minister– Anoma Gamage 3510
- LG elections should be under new system 3335
- Dr. Sivamohan reiterates preference for foreign intervention 2899
- RICE SHORTAGE AND HIGH PRICES BIG MILL OWNERS TO BLAME SAYS ACPF 3049
- I believe in cooperative politics – Karuna 2013
- I like to talk to diehard Sinhala chauvinists – Wigneswaran 2367
- Justices should be subject to judicial audits 3753
- Traders have imported rice under local branding– Duminda Dissanayake 3629
- CTSU to protest SAITM ruling-on the streets 3875
- Google's self-driving firm sues Uber 2507
- Colombo Fashion Week dates for Summer season, 13 – 18 March 2513
- International Thunder Cat Power Boat Racing in Bentota- a thrilling experience 2508
- BPPL Holdings Limited announces Rs. 368 Mn IPO 2509
- Durdans Lab Service adds ‘Predictive Tests’ for disease prevention 2510
- INSEE Cement wins Green Platinum Award at HarithaSihinaya 2017 2509
- Valencia stun Real Madrid 2731
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 3048
- Fully fledged Media Commission by June – DGI 3079
- Way for True Conciliation! 4244
- Mathews is confident of bouncing back 2850
- Djokovic still the biggest rival, says Murray 3397
- A musical evening-Hindi film songs 3035
- Sitar recital 3031
- Alston Koch to sing at the ‘OSCARS’ after party 3037
- Luang Prabang – A Journey into Sublimity 3033
- Blue all the way 3033
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - Part 10 3035
- Employees rewarded 1327
- Training in excellence 1326
- Human – elephant conflict rears up again 1369
- Nature in its wild pristine beauty 1332
- A touch of Yalpanam 1332
- Blood facts 1328