Jaffna High Court Today(14) granted bail to five police officers who were in remand custody over the shooting incident of two Jaffna University Students.
Latest News - Local
The Office of Missing Persons (OMP) will come into operation tomorrow (15) as authorized by the Gazette notification signed by President Maithripala Sirisena, a press communiqué issued by the Secretary to the Ministry for National Integration and Reconciliation said. President Sirisena in his capacity as the Minister for National Integration and Reconciliation sanctioned the Gazette to operationalize the OMP Tuesday (12).
The launching ceremony of the book Janadhipathi Thaththa, which contains a wonderful story of an extremely ordinary man, who was born to a farming family, becoming the President of the country, through the eyes of his daughter will be held at 7:30 a.m. on 15 September at the BMICH.
The Vithya Sivaloganathan murder Trial-at-Bar concluded yesterday with the defence claiming that witness Mohamed Ilfam was a fraudster, who had given all sorts of misinformation to mislead the Court, by saying that Swiss Kumar was trying to bribe Criminal Investigation Department (CID) official Nishantha Silva.
The Senior DIG Lalith Jayasinghe who was accused of being involved in the Vidya Sivaloganathana murder case was granted bail Today (13) by the Kayts Magistrate Court.
Two Sri Lankans were arrested at the arrival lounge of the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) in Katunayake for attempting to smuggle over Rs. 40 million worth of jewellery.
BY NATASHA SIRIBADDANA
Forty 'Environment Pioneers' representing 16 schools, who have qualified for the Environment Pioneer President's Medal Award will receive their medals at a ceremony to be held today at 3:00 p.m., at the President's House, Colombo Fort under the patronage of President, Maithripala Sirisena.
President Maithripala Sirisena is expected to witness the ongoing 'Exercise- Cormorant Strike VIII- 2017' in Kuchchuveli, Trincomalee this Thursday (14).
President Maithripala Sirisena today(12) sacked Deputy Minister of Tourism Development and Christian Religious Affairs Arundika Fernando from his ministerial portfolio.
BY PANCHAMEE HEWAVISSENTI
At least three persons have died of HIV AIDS and three more have been diagnosed with the disease in the Northern Province during the current year, a senior medical official said yesterday.
The Department of Examinations says 27 schools will be used for the second phase of the 2017 GCE Advanced Level paper marking.
The schools used as paper marking centres will be closed from 13 to 26 September.
Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa's son Yoshitha has been summoned to appear before the Financial Crime Investigation Division......(FCID) today, to be questioned in connection with the purchase of lands in Mount Lavinia and Ratmalana and the source of funds raised to build a luxury house.
- Modern slavery most prevalent in Africa followed by Asia and Pacific 2781
- Sexual dissatisfaction main cause of divorce in Iran 2830
- Oral cancer kills 3 daily 2,400 new patients each year 2837
- Lanka, Iran in prisoner swap Agreement to be signed soon 2772
- WAN perturbed over Disappearances Bill Government reneging on commitments 2784
- CaFFE decries PC Amendment Bill ‘Laughing mixture’ of hybrid electioneering 2780
- Social Innovation Lab 2769
- US training for Customs officials Strategic Trade Enforcement 2770
- Excavation in Gommunnakanda 450 families affected 2770
- Kamal Hassan enters politics 2804
- Mangala gets his first Rs 5k note 2769
- To Maximize Hambantota’s True Potential Recognize China’s Importance – Hang 2780
- Grenades found at SLIC 2764
- NFIs In GSM Pass Rs 80B 2766
- ‘Deranged’ Trump will pay dearly for UN speech – Kim 2766
- Extending Marine Drive ‘New tech’ to save S. Thomas’ – Kiriella 3105
- Amendments to LG ordinances Debate on 26 Sept 2766
- Stance on interim report JO MPs to seek MR’s view 2762
- Schoolchildren in ‘Osari Pota’ issue NCPA furious, launches full probe 2781
- Interim Report on Constitutional Amendments attacked Play on critical words risk country’s sovereignty – SP Gov 2768
- Talks between Sirisena & Deuba SAARC takes centre stage 2762
- Handunnetti says: Failed Airbus deal cost the Govt USD 125 M Halt production on orders to cut losses 2766
- Rebuilding Sri Lanka President Sirisena seeks US help 2768
- Soft liquor laws to be relaxed Move essential for tourism 2776
- Treasury Bonds Probe Undated letter a complete fabrication – ASG 2816
- Between men and women A yawning gap 2119
- Salient features of a new Constitution 2145
- A Time of Gifts The Byron Conference in Greece 2147
- How will coins and notes make up 100 million? 2156
- People’s worst enemy 2161
- Cricketers challenge Pramodya’s allegations 2474
- NOC not responsible in selection process - Hemasiri 2497
- Wilwara brace in vain as Kandy lose 23-24 2473
- Sri Lanka face uphill task in group A 2475
- Prima Champions Cup U-15 Provincials Cricket Western Province Central and Uva win 2465
- De Mazenod marks only win 2463
- Amazing Anitha vaults to new SL record 2640
- Over 350 rowers vying for honours 2459
- Burgher Association Cricket Sixes 2459
- 24th Richmond - Aloysius Annual Rugby Encounter Keen tussle expected in Galle today 2461
- Within the arc of Chinese influence 3218
- Big Ivan – Russia’s Bang! 2355
- Sri Lanka is a stable country now 2835
- Heading Hybrid Renewable Energy Lights Up Eluvaithivu Island 3028
- ‘Capacity To Pay’, ‘Ability To Pay’ Govt’s New Rates Question Tax Principles 3668
- Mother was a steadfast support to my father Chathurika Sirisena 4076
- I will take legal action against ‘footnote’ accusations – Sujeewa Senasinghe 3341
- We are making plans to topple the Government 3822
- We will not support the 20th Amendment – Suresh Premachandran 3138
- Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done 2933
- Who Rules America? The Power Elite in the Time of Trump 2480
- How do you like your wine – with a cork or screw-cap? 2471
- Toys ‘R’ us bankruptcy How bad assumptions feed bad financial planning, creating failure 2470
- Financial companies need to reinvent 3026
- TEA REVENUE TOPS RS 150B 3026
- Inflation accelerates to 7.9% in August 3008
- Cyber threats: Global stock exchanges vigilant 3004
- Shares fall ending 5-day streak 3004
- Google signs $1.1B HTC smartphone deal 3012
- $ 77M Drained For Debt Servicing 2998
- Executing an Executive order 2767
- What are The Best Laxative Foods? 2587
- YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER 3607
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn 2511
- Latest addition to the iphone family 2504
- best workout songs 1845
- BOUNCE BACK: AN OPEN MIC 1962
- Cosplayer fame 2209
- Astrological clue to the nature of your progeny 2443
- Vasu Defects that Affect Business Places 2430
- Venus the planet of love 2426
- Egypt before Pharaohs: When Gods ruled the Earth 2396
- Omens connected with muscle twitching 2385
- Body of the Text 3105
- Academic approaches to peace building and reconciliation 3114
- Insights into the life of remarkable missionary 3148
- Theatre Critics 3065
- Jaffna International Cinema Festival 2017 (JaffnaICF 2017) 3090
- Grammar through Literature and A Thousand Voiced Choir 3068
- Animals in thirst 2753
- Enhancing life to the very end 2766
- Hearts break in silence 2755
- Awards for alumni at ‘the best school of all’ 2723
- Blue sky in warm champagne 2722
- A will of steel 2721