The 72nd budget of independent Sri Lanka and the fourth of the incumbent government will be presented to Parliament by Minister of Finance and Mass Media, Mangala Samaraweera today (9) at 3:00 p.m.
Latest News - Local
The Railway Drivers Union informed that the proposed 48-hour strike which was scheduled to commence Today midnight (08) has been called off.
A special dengue eradication programme will be carried out this week in 64 schools in the Batticaloa education zone.
Minister of Finance Mangala Samaraweera will be making his maiden budget speech tomorrow (9) when he presents the Government's Budget for the year 2018 to the Parliament.
BY Kavindya Chris Thomas
The Sri Lanka Railway Station Masters' Union has threatened to walk out on a 48-hour strike commencing at midnight tonight (8).
One lane from Town Hall towards Borella has been temporarily closed for traffic at Ward Place due to the ongoing anti-SAITM protest.
A Fast Attack Craft attached to the Northern Naval Command, on routine patrol, apprehended 4 Indian fishermen along with a fishing trawler for poaching in the Sri Lankan territorial waters West of Delft Island in the early hours today (07th November 2017).
A total of 5412 Officers and Other Rankers of the Army who are Absent Without Official Leave (AWOL) have so far reported back to their respective Regimental Headquarters to receive their legal discharge under the ongoing 24 day-long General Amnesty period that ends on 15 November 2017.
Reservoirs and tanks in the Northern Province have reached spill levels, posing a threat to human habitat in several areas of the province, sources said.
Eight of MP Hirunika Premachandra's supporters admitted to their involvement in the 2015 abduction of an individual from Dematagoda, when the case was taken up for trial by the Colombo High Court yesterday (06).
Atleast six passengers killed and another 44 were injured in a bus - three wheeler accident in Madurankulita, today(06) morning. The injured were admitted to Puttalam, Chilaw and Mundalama hospitals.
The Pakistan Naval Ship (PNS) Saif arrived at the port of Colombo on a goodwill visit today (05th November 2017). The Sri Lanka Navy welcomed the ship in compliance
- Action against COPE MPs caught talking to Aloysius Speaker to meet party leaders this week
- UNP furious over phone tapping CID, AG’s Dept blamed for ‘media show’
- Treasury Bonds Probe AG to question PM
- Gintota clashes 19 remanded Govt on desperate mission to arrest extremists
- ‘A prisoner in Indian jail on Eelam soil’
- Sagala vows to crush Aava group Police deployed in full strength
- Politico’s son-in-law in school frock drama Teacher threatened after student is reprimanded
- Lanka alarmed over increased smuggling of ‘KG’
- SC to hear Tangalle ASP assault case
- 656 kg Glyphosate nabbed
- FPTP opens gate for undesirables, warns Amunugama
- EC to issue nomination notice on 27th
- NPC Education Minister shuns national flag Sarveshwaran was Chief Guest at school event
- Geological changes in Jaffna – Academics
- Violence against children World Vision launches campaign
- Females from soldier families on SLPP list
- JO goes to CIABOC against five COPE members
- Warrant issued on Jaliya Wickramasuriya For failure to appear in court
- Appuhamy admits to communicating with Aloysius Denies wrongdoing
- Gota’s objections thrown out Avant Garde case to go ahead
- JVP to team up with the devil! Vows to defeat LG polls gazette case
- UNP and JO in ‘secret deal’ to tarnish SLFP – Dayasiri
- CID evidence on COPE members and Aloysius JO urges Speaker to investigate
- An Inconsistent US Assertive China and Asia’s Hobbesian Order
- Jorge Sharp and Citizen Movements:New Momentum for Chilean Left?
- Angelo, Lahiru prop Sri Lanka
- Ritzbury Sir John Tarbat Junior School Athletic Championship 2017 Janadhipathi BV and St. Joseph’s emerge champions
- Air Force, Police look for first win
- Navy defeat lethargic Havies
- CEB emerge Super League Champs
- Rambukwella scores ton
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Buddila steers St. Aloysius
- Pelican SC win
- HNB clinch two titles
- Nadal wins defamation case
- Aviation sector to be liberalized
- Telcos to lobby against levy
- How 5 massive Trade Deals Have Fared under Trump
- Securing the social licence to operate
- China stealthily pouring money into India
- Managing taxpayer money: Targets, promises and real achievements
- LB Finance reports solid 1H results
- HNB Group posts Rs 16.8 B PBT
- Study on the Non-Banking Financial Industry
- People’s Bank installs ATM at Ella Railway Station
- Best Wishes
- Remembering ‘Dictionary Johnson’
- Budgetary design of blue green enterprise
- A Time of Gifts Different Perspectives
- We were forced to work like animals
- Concretes and abstracts Two comics at the Savoy in London
- Row over beer tax
- Illegal mining Muttur’s sandy secret Hundreds of tons of sand taken away at night
- PM before Bond Commission tomorrow
- BREXIT Impact on free movement of people
- Wigneswaran’s claim Devanampiya Tissa was a Tamil king An academically naïve proposition Prof Raj Somadeva
- There is no journey with the UNP
- Core values of the UNP are eroding - Pradeep Jayewardene
- UN compensation for Kuwait workers Rs 3.2 B on migrant worker welfare
- Professor Matteo Legrenzi says: Gulf States are not keen on all-out war
- An argument for a new Constitution
- ‘Otriachchi’, ‘Orumiththa Nadu’, ‘Aekeeya Rajya’ and unitary state
- A Constitutional Framework for Sri Lanka
- THE STATE WITHIN A STATE SIVAGIRIYEN SiGIRIYATA
- A Creative Simulator -Anil Herath
- Are you ready for the big crunch party?– with Tharaka Eranda Caldera
- A Delhi Diwali
- The Unwrapped Hope - Translated
- PAST LIFE AND RULING PLANETS IN KRISHNAMURTHI PADHDHATHI
- Build before onset of Kona Masa
- Palms of road accident victims
- Want to get rid of malefic Saturn ?
- Installing doors and windows according to Vastu
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Conquering Fashion
- Gavin Ryan’s Salon Professionalism to the next level
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE THE CRANBERRY ADVENTURES
- Calamitous Earthquake in Iran
- Scientists warn of ‘giant leap backward’ at climate talks
- Death of Ananda Senaratne