Heavy traffic is reported around Maradana as a result of the protest march launched by Inter-University Students' Federation agains SAITM.
Latest News - Local
National event to mark the 'World Kidney Day' which fell on 9th March will be held today (13th March) in Matale under the patronage of President Maithripala Sirisena.
Inter-monsoon conditions are prevailing over the island.
Sugar price hike 1871
The price of a kilo of raw sugar, which was sold at Rs 93 in the market, has gone up by 17 rupees and it is currently sold at Rs 110.
The government decided to implement a new traffic plan in the metropolis with effect from yesterday (12), in order to drastically reduce traffic congestion in the city, sources said.
Former Minister and Opposition Leader of the Central Provincial Council, Renuka Herath, passed away at the age of 72.
Three youth drown while bathing in Nachchimale Ela, Ingiriya.
Several houses destroyed due to a fire that erupted at a building in Daham Mawatha, Maharagama.
Sri Lanka Ports Authority in 2016 has earned a profit of Rs.11 billion showing an increase of 83 percent in comparison to the year 2015, said the Minister of Ports and Shipping Arjuna Ranathunghe.
Weather today 1838
Inter-monsoon conditions are establishing over the island.
Sri Lanka is forecasted to get normal rain in 2017, but farmers outside the wet zone have been advised to grow short maturing rice, alternative crops with tanks starting the next cropping season with low water levels, the Department of Agriculture said.
Several high ranking police officials have been transferred with immediate effect considering the service requirement, Police media sources said.
1246 arrested on suspicion of various crimes in an operation that began last evening.
The registration of new pharmacies has been suspended until the National Drug Regulatory Authority (NDRA) completes its island-wide survey on pharmacies, Health Minister Rajitha Senaratne said.
Several frontline trade unions in the country are planning to stage a combined strike shortly to express their vehement opposition to the SAITM Institute in Malambe.
The Consumer Affairs Authority (CAA) yesterday seized a stock of rice, worth more than Rs 01 million, at a wholesale shop in Colombo, a senior official said.
The annual feast of St. Anthony's church in Katchatheevu is set to get underway on a grand scale on 12th March 2017.
Weather today 1457
Showers or thundershowers will occur in several places over the island except Northern and Eastern provinces after 2.00 p.m.
Indictments filed against Basil Rajapaksa regarding to a house in Malwana which is alleged to be worth Rs. 250 million.
Additional Magistrate of Colombo Jeyaram Trotsky yesterday ordered Navy Commander Vice Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne to produce before the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), five personnel who had served as Commanding Officers at the Welisara Navy Camp in order to enable the CID to record statements in connection with an abducting and disappearance case.
World Water Day 1637
- Cabinet approves President’s proposal 3313
- UNICEF appeals for US$1m funding for SL drought 3304
- Three nabbed brewing moonshine 3299
- Two nabbed with narcotics 3299
- Madras HC issues directive 3304
- ‘Bunty’ captured in Sellakataragama 3308
- JVP condemns Govt attempts to protect criminals 3306
- UK bans laptops and tablets on flights from six ME countries 3300
- Tax on Palmyrah industry hits Northerners hard 3304
- Highest number of TB patients in Kalmunai 3299
- Contradictory messages on transitional justice 3318
- Can China save the global order? 3301
- Russia in Libya 3300
- Cabinet approves Ravi’s proposal 3308
- Buddhika sets Parliament record for petitions 3305
- Police to guard girls’ schools 3299
- ‘Find a good lawyer’ 3297
- President receives warm welcome in Moscow 3297
- Wimal to stay hungry 3298
- Army Chief of Staff 3296
- Take legal action against Sri Lanka 3301
- Greek Bond purchases revealed 3296
- Court orders Army Chief to provide names 3297
- Amunugama to oversee Cabinet Subcommittee 3296
- Arjun’s cohorts attack Journalists 3297
- Nostalgia for Analog 2673
- An oasis in urban Madiwela 3215
- Western encouragement of terrorism 3754
- ‘ProNats’ class adores Gotabaya 3794
- Mangala & MR cross swords over latter’s statement 3803
- Dilemma of protecting freedom of expression 3514
- AA to send 12 Athletes for Asian Grand Prix 2805
- Junior Golf Championship from 18-21 April 2310
- Training Command win men’s/women’s titles 2310
- Milestone event on 26 March 2311
- Nestlè powers Kids Athletics 2310
- Ex-Wallaby details childhood sex abuse 2312
- Jaffna Prepares for Chronic Kidney Disease 3302
- A Blueprint for Disintegration 3301
- Refugee returnee safety still in doubt? 3300
- Tamils lived in N/E before Buddhistic era – Wigneswaran 3308
- Going Up Sir Arthur’s way 3507
- Island nation in Indian Ocean A big draw for US, China 3507
- We await President’s response – Gemunu 3106
- LTTE atrocities also have to be investigated 3696
- Exporters to EU must be educated on Brexit – GM ECCSL Srinath 3251
- Speaker refused our request 3267
- Dinesh only UPFA’s Deputy Leader 3263
- Voters must exercise caution when electing MPs – Harshana Rajakaruna 2560
- Forced family planning is happening countywide – Galagoda Aththe Gnanasara Thera 3865
- ITAK’s arbitrary actions cause conflict in TNA – Sivasakthy Ananthan 3539
- NCSL for Sustainable Development 5199
- Major endorsement of govt’s reconciliation efforts 4697
- Manjula Amarasinghe new CEO of AM Kreations 2312
- Ceylinco Life honours 24/7 trailblazers of 2016 2310
- BOC Cards offer special discounts for Avurudu Shopping 2311
- BMICH remembers founder on Women’s Day 2309
- LAUGFS Eco Sri launches ‘YOU’ for Women’s Day 2310
- CEAT introduces 7 new tyre sizes Increases radial portfolio to 40 sizes 2311
- The crisis in Parliament: Twilight of a functioning democracy 3456
- Mispriced Risk of Infectious Diseases 2400
- Limelight on Sri Lanka again 2397
- Former JVP terror districts continue in poverty 3602
- Valencia stun Real Madrid 2896
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 3217
- Musicalized Version of Nostalgia 5216
- The Many Faces of Galle 6079
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - Part 13 5236
- Fiesta for Theatre lovers 5691
- Viramaya 2017 – Phenomenal success 5223
- Sri Lankan movie at Geneva film festival 5268
- To be or not to be 1290
- Kids get cooking 1288
- Mindfulness for successful living 1299
- The age of nastiness 1289
- 20 years of singing celebrated 1284
- How do we prevent rape and abuse? 1285