The Sinhala and Tamil New Year festive season, across the country, made its entry into the Colombo Malay Cricket Club grounds on Friday (07) morning, when hundreds of Officers and other Ranks of the Army Headquarters, joined hands together to celebrate the 'Soorya Mangallaya', the annual auspicious event, giving pride of place to traditional New Year games and other associated entertaining events.
Latest News - Local
Navy Commander Vice Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne, who is currently on an official visit to Brazil, to attend a defence exhibition, took time off to tour the Special Boat Squadron and Submarine Warfare Training School in Brazil. The Navy Commander was invited to attend the Latin America Aerospace and Defence (LAAD – 2017) exhibition.
Weather today 887
Mainly fair weather will prevail over most provinces of the island.
By Chamini Gammanpila
A number of stone inscriptions, of extreme importance to the country, which were not previously discovered, have been found, according to the Department of Archaeology.
The government has decided to allow passenger transport buses to ply on all Expressways in the country toll free on 1 May, in view of the International Labour Day.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe will be visiting Japan from 10th to 16th April.
Government has decided to give a pack of 10 essential items worth Rs. 1, 515 at a concessionary price of Rs. 975 during the coming Sinhala and Hindu New Year season following the instructions given by the President and the Prime Minister.
There will be special long distance train services during the Sinhala and Hindu New Year for the convenience of commuters, Railway authorities said.
Army join dengue war 1670
More than 150 Army personnel serving in the 57 and 65 Divisions, under the Security Force Headquarters, Kilinochchi are actively engaged in the ongoing National Dengue Control Week, in the Kilinochchi town and Mulankavil.
The Department of Railways has functioned to run special trains for " Sinhala and Hindu New Year Festival" as per the directions of Mr. B.A.P. Ariyaratne and under the guidance of Hon. Nimal Siripala De Silva, The Minister of Transport and Civil Aviation.
A suspect was taken into Police custody, for allegedly aiding the gang involved in the Kalutara shooting that took place on 27 February, Police said yesterday (5).
Showers or thundershowers will occur in the Western, Sabaragamuwa, Central, North-western, Uvaand Southern provinces after 2.00p.m.
Docs in token strike 1887
Nearly 20,000 doctors will engage in a token strike tomorrow (7) against the South Asian Institute of Technology and Medicine (SAITM).
Ease of Doing Business Forum, an initiative by the Ministry Of Finance will hold its 12th Forum on Thursday (6th April) at MILODA, Colombo 01.
Cabinet decides to give Rs 10000 per paddy farming family, who were affected by drought in 16/17 Maha season, before Sinhala - Hindu New Year.
The imminent risk of power outages throughout the country has arisen due to the massive strike to be launched by employee trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) effective midnight of 5 April.
Weather today 2099
Showers or thundershowers will occur in the Western, Sabaragamuwa, Central, North-western, Uva, North-central and Southern provinces and in the Ampara district after 2.00p.m.
By Skandha Gunasekara
Parliament Sittings on Thursday has been limited to just half day, as a mark of respect to the late Mahanayake of the Amarapura Chapter Most Ven. Dayuldena Gnanissara Thera, who passed away on Monday (3), Parliament sources revealed yesterday (4).
The renovated run-way of Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) will be opened on 6th April, Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation said.
Minister of Finance Ravi Karunanayake is in New Delhi to participate in the sub regional Economic Cooperation Summit of South Asia, which was inaugurated in New Delhi yesterday (3).
LATEST NEWSRead More
- Range Bandara’s son’s vehicle in mishap 3108
- Maithri sacks Janaka, Anura and Lohan 3144
- Ranil in Delhi 3093
- Three of 33 injured critical 3097
- Keep your promise while in India 3107
- Referendum this year – Rajitha 3098
- SLFP heading for same fate as Meethotamulla 3115
- Prez orders lump sum payment 3098
- CB was upside down – Ex-Asst Governor 3112
- Free train travel to Kandy for SLFP members 3107
- Ex-LTTE cadres protest NPC takeover 3114
- Call for urgent probe 3103
- Ministry’s letter worries FfMTAs 3097
- What would the second Korean war look like? 3235
- ‘One Belt One Road’ initiative Industrial Development Opportunities 3094
- Trump And China Risk Middle East Arms Race 3107
- 708g heroin worth Rs 7M 3083
- Australian temporary skilled migration reforms 3086
- Pakistan’s National Defence University delegation in SL 3083
- JDR Expert Team handsover findings to Prez 3082
- Invitation to Party reps 3968
- LIOC demand triples 3983
- CPC strike ends 3980
- Govt to own majority 3987
- JVP flays Trinco oil tank deal 3984
- What a Waste 2778
- Imminent Asia-Pacific Regional Economic Collapse In The Offing? 2768
- ‘Abolish SAITM’ Protest at R. Premadasa Stadium 2781
- Judiciary,help clean up garbage politics 2764
- Judiciary,help clean up garbage politics 2767
- RANIL, SIRISENA SET FOR TERM TWO ALREADY 3430
- Sadeepa, Nirmali set sprint records 2375
- Sivalingam takes Supersaints to new heights 2338
- Shah, Misbah put Pakistan on path to victory 2334
- India delay naming squad 2334
- BCCI rejects ICC’s $100 million offer 2338
- Karunaratne, Dias, Gunatilleke in main draw 2336
- Post-war economy, Mahinda regime and unity govt 3230
- National Sustainability undermined 3176
- Avoid dangerous ‘politicking’ With the MMDA 3109
- Executive Presidency: Boon or Bane 3194
- Want Govt to Degazette wilpattu forests 4040
- Muslims rage over Mannar land 4521
- Sampanthan has forgotten his people’s grievanceS 2589
- Anoka’s Mangrove campaign 4125
- Ministry of Megapolis responsible for Meethotamulla TRAGEDY 3246
- Garbage crisis has reached epic proportions 3130
- MR confident of ousting govt next year – Dinesh 2943
- Marikkar pours scorn on Govt, Rajapaksas 3270
- Mahinda Rajapaksa never left the fray – MR 2898
- Solution to problems is removal of Capitalist economy 2690
- Overcoming your own demons:Essential for reconciliation 4244
- SLFP in grip of unwholesome men – Mervyn Silva 1396
- 2 new Deputy Governors soon 2443
- $54M HOTEL ON MARINE DRIVE 2343
- First WTO agreement Colombo session today 2360
- Sluggish authorities hurting construction industry – CCI 2341
- LAUGFS buys Pan Asia Bank stake 2363
- Shares down for 2nd day, foreign inflows continue 2338
- The New Constitution Creating divisions for democracy 1747
- What is Good Governance? 1644
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1882
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1741
- Economics of gambling 1583
- There were no Tamils in Ceylon until arrival of Westerners 1872
- Stallion heralds New Year 4348
- The House that Love Built 4464
- The challenges of self-representation 4339
- Solidarity Award for Prasanna Vithanage 4341
- History of Cinema 4333
- Trans national Cinematic Musical Discourse 3239
- Beware of touchy feeling! 1174
- Dazzling stars illuminated 1162
- G O O D L I F E D i a r i e s 1168
- Cuba 1167
- Science experiments A parachute 1168
- ENJOY WAFFLES TO YOUR HART'S CONTENT 1173