Sri Lanka is determined not to make the same mistakes that Europe made when facing the refugee crisis, said Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, and urged all local asylum seekers to return to the country.
Latest News - Local
Health Minister Rajitha Senaratne had requested the deans of eight medical faculties to hand over report, with their proposals on enhancing the standards of the South Asian Institute of Technology and Medicine (SAITM).
President Maithripala Sirisena presented service pension benefit letters to the retired differently abled War Heroes who volunteered to retire before completing their 12 year mandatory service period at the Presidential Secretariat, yesterday (14).
Sri Lanka Police together with the Sri Lanka Corps of Military Police (SLCMP) are currently conducting island-wide raids to arrest tri forces personnel who are considered as Absent without Official Leave (AWOL).
Sri Lanka Navy troops under the Northern Naval Command conducted a field medical clinic in Karainagar island on Friday (10).
Lt Cdr Brian Page, US Naval Attach‚ of the US embassy in Colombo and John Hills, expert for South Asia Region at the Department of Defense visited the Security Forces Headquarters- Mullaitivu on Wednesday (8).
Since the government's programme to sell rice at controlled prices has been completely unsuccessful, a discussion under the patronage of President Maithripala Sirisena is to be held today (14) to seek a solution aimed at providing relief to consumers who are facing difficulties.
Health Minister Rajitha Senarathne said that he does not have any personnel deal with 'SAITM'.
An island-wide combined raid, conducted by the Police and the Sri Lanka Corps of Military Police (SLCMP) on Thursday (9th Feb.) was able to arrest 563 Army personnel who are Absent Without Official Leave (AWOL) or considered having deserted their posts, Military Spokesman, Brigadier Roshan Seneviratne said.
Police investigation teams have decided to obtain a statement from the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Malabe SAITM Private Medical College, Dr. Sameera Senaratne, who suddenly left for Russia, soon after his return.
A motorcyclist succumbed to his injuries after losing control of his machine and colliding into a lamppost in the vicinity of Moratuwa Police division last night, Police informed Ceylon Today Online.
Two new beds, for the Emergency Ward at the Pudukuduirippu Regional Hospital and a stock of pillows, valued at Rs 700,000.00 were donated personally by Colonel D.M.P.D Disanayake, Brigade Commander, 681 Brigade and his family members on Thursday (9) at the hospital.
Members of the Army Chemical Biological Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) Response Squadron took part as resource personnel in the Basic Training Course on Emergency Response at Chemical Incidents, held at Taj Samudra Hotel from February 6 - 10.
With the view of providing accommodation to all students, coming from various parts of the Island, a four-storey building, with all amenities, is to be constructed at South Eastern University of Sri Lanka (SEUSL) at a cost of Rs 212 million, which has been set apart by the Ministry of Higher Education.
Even though food items containing seaweed are consumed by many countries in the world, Sri Lankans are interested in fish products rather than the seaweed food products.
The 50th anniversary of D. S. Senanayake College, Borella will be celebrated today (10). President Maithripala Sirisena will be the Chief Guest at the celebration which will be held in the morning.
A group of naval personnel was deployed to Moragahakanda on Wednesday (8th Feb.) to launch a mission to rescue the animals that are facing life threats due to the filling of water to the Moragahakanda reservoir.
Weather today 1307
Ground frost can be expected at some places in the Nuwara-Eliya district, in the early hours of the morning.
Prevalence of the Influenza A(A1N1) in Bibila and Medagama MOH divisions have been controlled completely, the Director General of Health Services Dr. Jayasundara Bandara said.
Three individuals who were allegedly engaged in illegal excavations in Padiyathalawa were arrested yesterday (08), Police said.
- NUJ 109th Birth anniversary 3369
- Mangala to urge 24-month extension 3540
- Namal slaps CBK with defamation 3444
- Pakistan still eyeing JF-17 Thunder Fighter sale to Sri Lanka 3151
- CID grills govt Printer, Director, others 3232
- LRC seeks Police protection 3141
- MR to meet Tamil and Muslim leaders 3212
- Leprosy hits western province 3150
- skipper of ill-fated boat remanded 3135
- Raggers will be promptly expelled 3164
- Double-speak from SB on Wimal 3167
- VX nerve agent killed Kim Jong-nam 3141
- More snags foul up Constitution making 3291
- NFPWHR warns of massive protest 3143
- Mangala meets US HDP delegation 3146
- SL Police deny ‘hunting’ refugees in HK 3135
- 1500 students denied Uni education 3219
- SLFP CMs to boycott meeting 3134
- Wimal not a party leader – Dayasiri 3141
- New Zealand-bound boat people held 3128
- Pension for disabled ex-soldiers 3125
- Divorce case ends after 18 years 3196
- Payagala death toll now 16 3954
- MR hits out at CBK 4060
- ONUR refutes Army claims 3949
- February – a celebratory month 3116
- Political mayhem 3134
- Significance of Sri Lanka’s legal profession 3121
- A house divided 3106
- Building castles in the air 3111
- Upholding children’s rights 5652
- Now or never for Havies 2249
- Bad light saves day for Isipathana 2245
- Golfer Arumugam no more 2246
- Royal resist late Joes’ onslaught 2251
- Sadeera's 177 n.o. guides SL 'A' 2242
- Sadeera pushes for Test spot 2521
- Wimal gets short shrift 3369
- BASL in the dock 3294
- Ragging: The ugly truth 3305
- Govt gambling with our lives – KPP protesters 3293
- Keppetipola mansion in bad shape 3288
- Diesel Mafia raises its head again... 3287
- SAITM students will not be accepted by any country– Prof. Hiran Amerasekera 3164
- I have no issues with the Minister– Anoma Gamage 3510
- LG elections should be under new system 3335
- Dr. Sivamohan reiterates preference for foreign intervention 2899
- RICE SHORTAGE AND HIGH PRICES BIG MILL OWNERS TO BLAME SAYS ACPF 3049
- I believe in cooperative politics – Karuna 2013
- I like to talk to diehard Sinhala chauvinists – Wigneswaran 2367
- Justices should be subject to judicial audits 3753
- Traders have imported rice under local branding– Duminda Dissanayake 3629
- CTSU to protest SAITM ruling-on the streets 3875
- Google's self-driving firm sues Uber 2507
- Colombo Fashion Week dates for Summer season, 13 – 18 March 2513
- International Thunder Cat Power Boat Racing in Bentota- a thrilling experience 2508
- BPPL Holdings Limited announces Rs. 368 Mn IPO 2509
- Durdans Lab Service adds ‘Predictive Tests’ for disease prevention 2510
- INSEE Cement wins Green Platinum Award at HarithaSihinaya 2017 2509
- Valencia stun Real Madrid 2731
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 3048
- Fully fledged Media Commission by June – DGI 3079
- Way for True Conciliation! 4244
- Mathews is confident of bouncing back 2850
- Djokovic still the biggest rival, says Murray 3397
- A musical evening-Hindi film songs 3035
- Sitar recital 3031
- Alston Koch to sing at the ‘OSCARS’ after party 3037
- Luang Prabang – A Journey into Sublimity 3033
- Blue all the way 3033
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - Part 10 3035
- Employees rewarded 1327
- Training in excellence 1326
- Human – elephant conflict rears up again 1369
- Nature in its wild pristine beauty 1332
- A touch of Yalpanam 1332
- Blood facts 1328