Former CBSL Governor Arjun Mahendran arrives at Presidential Commission appointed to look into bond issue.
Latest News - Local
Sri Lanka is to release 85 Indian fishermen, while India will release 19 Sri Lankans.
Second, third and fourth year students, of the Colombo University's Faculty of Arts, have been banned from entering the premises, Vice Chancellor of the Faculty, Professor Lakshman Dissanayaka said yesterday (9).
The e-health project was launched last year by the Minister of Health, Nutrition and Indigenous Medicine Dr. Rajitha Senaratna.
The Director of the Dambulla Hospital Dr. Charles Nugawela says that with effect from today all mothers who have given birth at the hospital will be asked to voluntarily opt to receive birth control methods and signify this with their written consent.
Several street protest demonstrations were staged yesterday by a collective of student federations against the dragging on of the controversies related to the South Asian Institute of Technology and Medicine (SAITM).
In order to reduce the heavy traffic congestion in the metropolis, a separate lane for buses is to be introduced shortly, according to the Ministry of Megapolis and Western Development.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs has taken initiatives to design and implement an online Economic Diplomacy Course catering to Sri Lanka's specific economic needs and challenges.
US Naval Ship 'Fall River' belonging to the US Pacific Command arrived at the Port of Hambantota yesterday (7).
Cigarettes worth around Rs. 198 million found, in a container from Malaysia, at Orugodawatta container yard - Customs-
Attackers have entered the largest military hospital in Kabul and a gun battle is under way, the Afghan defence ministry says.
A number of Ministers and MPs from the minority and minor parties are attempting to prevent legislation ensuring a 25% quota for women in local councils, Campaign for Free and Fair Elections (CaFFE) Executive Director Rajith Keerthi Tennakoon said yesterday.
The Foundation stone will be laid for the new Courts complex in Ruwanwella on 10th March under the patronage of the Minister of Justice Wijayadasa Rajapaksha.
Speaker informs MPs that Attorney General's letter reguarding the COPE report on Treasury Bond will be presented to Parliament.
President MaithripalaSirisena requested all Sri Lankan expatriates not to be misled by false propaganda on the government carried out by political opponents through some websites and media. The President was speaking to the Sri Lankans living in Indonesia yesterday (6thMarch) at the Sri Lankan Embassy in Indonesia.
Minister of Justice and Buddhasasana, Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe said that it is pointless to create scholars who cannot make a significant contribution towards the wellbeing of the nation. According to reports he made this remark during a Dhamma school ceremony organized by the Ministry of Buddhasasana in Negombo.
The villagers of Ashraff Nagar in the Addalaichenai DS Division staged a march on Sunday to create awareness on the threats they faced from wild elephants.
The management of the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) is returning premier service aircraft to Sri Lanka.
Government has decided to establish a special tourism zone from Thabbowa to Wilpattu, said the State Minister of Skill Development and Vocational Training Palitha Range Bandara.
Department of Railway on 3rd March signed an MoU to purchase 10 train engines and six power sets made in India.
World Water Day 1637
- Cabinet approves President’s proposal 3313
- UNICEF appeals for US$1m funding for SL drought 3304
- Three nabbed brewing moonshine 3299
- Two nabbed with narcotics 3299
- Madras HC issues directive 3304
- ‘Bunty’ captured in Sellakataragama 3308
- JVP condemns Govt attempts to protect criminals 3306
- UK bans laptops and tablets on flights from six ME countries 3300
- Tax on Palmyrah industry hits Northerners hard 3304
- Highest number of TB patients in Kalmunai 3299
- Contradictory messages on transitional justice 3318
- Can China save the global order? 3301
- Russia in Libya 3300
- Cabinet approves Ravi’s proposal 3308
- Buddhika sets Parliament record for petitions 3305
- Police to guard girls’ schools 3299
- ‘Find a good lawyer’ 3297
- President receives warm welcome in Moscow 3297
- Wimal to stay hungry 3298
- Army Chief of Staff 3296
- Take legal action against Sri Lanka 3301
- Greek Bond purchases revealed 3296
- Court orders Army Chief to provide names 3297
- Amunugama to oversee Cabinet Subcommittee 3296
- Arjun’s cohorts attack Journalists 3297
- Nostalgia for Analog 2673
- An oasis in urban Madiwela 3215
- Western encouragement of terrorism 3754
- ‘ProNats’ class adores Gotabaya 3794
- Mangala & MR cross swords over latter’s statement 3803
- Dilemma of protecting freedom of expression 3514
- AA to send 12 Athletes for Asian Grand Prix 2805
- Junior Golf Championship from 18-21 April 2310
- Training Command win men’s/women’s titles 2310
- Milestone event on 26 March 2311
- Nestlè powers Kids Athletics 2310
- Ex-Wallaby details childhood sex abuse 2312
- Jaffna Prepares for Chronic Kidney Disease 3302
- A Blueprint for Disintegration 3301
- Refugee returnee safety still in doubt? 3300
- Tamils lived in N/E before Buddhistic era – Wigneswaran 3311
- Going Up Sir Arthur’s way 3507
- Island nation in Indian Ocean A big draw for US, China 3507
- We await President’s response – Gemunu 3106
- LTTE atrocities also have to be investigated 3696
- Exporters to EU must be educated on Brexit – GM ECCSL Srinath 3251
- Speaker refused our request 3267
- Dinesh only UPFA’s Deputy Leader 3263
- Voters must exercise caution when electing MPs – Harshana Rajakaruna 2560
- Forced family planning is happening countywide – Galagoda Aththe Gnanasara Thera 3865
- ITAK’s arbitrary actions cause conflict in TNA – Sivasakthy Ananthan 3539
- NCSL for Sustainable Development 5199
- Major endorsement of govt’s reconciliation efforts 4697
- Manjula Amarasinghe new CEO of AM Kreations 2312
- Ceylinco Life honours 24/7 trailblazers of 2016 2310
- BOC Cards offer special discounts for Avurudu Shopping 2311
- BMICH remembers founder on Women’s Day 2309
- LAUGFS Eco Sri launches ‘YOU’ for Women’s Day 2310
- CEAT introduces 7 new tyre sizes Increases radial portfolio to 40 sizes 2311
- The crisis in Parliament: Twilight of a functioning democracy 3456
- Mispriced Risk of Infectious Diseases 2400
- Limelight on Sri Lanka again 2397
- Former JVP terror districts continue in poverty 3602
- Valencia stun Real Madrid 2896
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 3217
- Musicalized Version of Nostalgia 5216
- The Many Faces of Galle 6079
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - Part 13 5236
- Fiesta for Theatre lovers 5691
- Viramaya 2017 – Phenomenal success 5223
- Sri Lankan movie at Geneva film festival 5268
- To be or not to be 1290
- Kids get cooking 1288
- Mindfulness for successful living 1299
- The age of nastiness 1289
- 20 years of singing celebrated 1284
- How do we prevent rape and abuse? 1285