All the state and private banks at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) airport, Katunayake would not exchange any Qatar Riyal (currency) until further notice, BIA Duty Manager said.
Latest News - Local
BY CASSENDRA DOOLE
Two persons were killed, in separate incidents, by knife wielding killers, Police said. One person was stabbed to death, in Yakkalamulla, by two individuals who had arrived on a motorcycle yesterday (5) morning.
Weather Today 1890
Several spells of showers will occur in the Western, Sabaragamuwa, Central and North-western provinces and in the Galle and Mathara Districts.
President Maithripala Sirisena today (5th June) made an inspection tour in Bulathsinhala, Yatagampitiya, and Nagahadola areas in the Kalutara district, which were affected by recent floods and landslides.
Special train services will be in operation during the Poson season for the benefit of the pilgrims travelling to Anuradhapura, Railway Department said.
An all night pirith chanting ceremony to invoke blessings on the deceased from floods and landslides, the country, and the people, will be held at the Independence Square, today (5th June).
It took several centuries for the human beings to be modest enough to accept the fact that they are only one of creations of the nature.
By Methmalie Dissanayake
All liquor stores and outlets in the Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa Districts will be closed from today until 11 June, the Excise Department announced yesterday.
BY KAVINDYA CHRIS THOMAS
Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed that no Sri Lankans were affected by yesterday's terror attack in London, United Kingdom.
Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mahishini Colonne, yesterday (4) tweeted on her official Twitter account that there were no reports of Sri Lankans being affected in the London Bridge attack.
Schools in the Western Province, that were closed due to adverse weather conditions, that prevailed last week, will be reopened today, the Education Ministry announced yesterday.
An all night Pirith chanting ceremony, to ward off evil throughout the country and prevent natural calamities, will be held on 5 June at the Independence Square, sources said.
By Harshani Arsakularatne
Minister of Education Akila Viraj Kariyawasam says that all schools that were closed in the Western Province due to the recent adverse weather will be reopened on 5 June.
Government has granted Rs. 166 million as flood and landslide relief to the affected districts to be utilized for the displaced people by 2nd June, Disaster Management Center (DMC) sources said.
As part of the Navy's Social Responsibility project being implemented under the guidance of the Commander of the Navy, Vice Admiral Ravindra Wijegunaratne, the reconstruction work of the Meegahajadura Tank in Sooriyawewa came to a close yesterday (2nd June).
The number of deaths due to the recent floods and landslides in 15 districts has increased up to 206 while 92 are missing, Disaster Management Center said.
Former Senior DIG Anura Senanayake, who was arrested and remanded in connection
PHI's told to produce probe report
Batticaloa Magistrate M. Ganesharaja has ordered the closure of an eatery and directed Public Health Officials (PHI) to carry out an inquiry into the storing of meat items in the eatery's toilet.
By Ayodhya Rupasinghe
The Sri Lanka Railways (SLR) will operate special trains to Anuradhapura for the upcoming Poson season.
Weather Today 1546
Fairly strong winds about 50 kmph can be expected over the country (These windy conditions are especially expected over the Southern province and Matale and Polonnaruwa districts).
BY KAMAL MAHENDRE WEERARATNE
The Supreme Court yesterday (31) put off the appeal against the SAITM judgment issued by the Court of Appeal, to 1 June (today).
LATEST NEWSRead More
- Deuba takes over as 40th PM 3199
- India must proceed with caution 3226
- Army and Maliban join hands to help needy 3199
- Muslim Ministers, MPs playing dumb – Athaullah 3224
- Trial-at-Bar begins 3204
- Myliddy fishing hamlet and harbour to be released next week 3206
- Buddhist Ladies College Roo Soba Art exhibition 3195
- Lanka-Japan 3194
- Water in 35 of 55 Varany wells not safe 3196
- Lankan in Quebec on murder rap 3196
- Dy. Min. Jayasena showers praise on SL Vets 3196
- Trafficking in Persons Report 2017 3195
- 50% of TN’s catch from SL’s waters – Ex Navy Chief 3200
- Prime Minister Urges model circumventing Referendum 3206
- General Crishanthe De Silva inspects the guard of honour 3191
- SL Should Take Advantage – Academic 3193
- Will be dealt with as terrorists – Rajitha 3196
- SAITM will not be nationalized – Rajitha 3193
- Colombo Medical Faculty lecturers to strike 3193
- FSP behind IUSF violence – Sagala 3192
- IUSF’s SAITM protest fizzles out 3196
- Rajitha, Kiriella to prepare listing plan 3186
- Party leaders to decide next week 3192
- Hartal brings Bandarawela to grinding halt 3194
- NFTH to be converted to J’Pura Hospital model 3189
- Violent repression of legitimate protests must cease 2888
- Disastrous ministers 2901
- ‘Gateway to Kataragama’ opens on 15 July 2154
- Gerald Mendis: Living the life to the fullest 2884
- IUSF abusing human rights 2156
- Cherantha sets new National Record 2858
- Masakadza recalled for SL series 2859
- Thurstan (B) and Royal (B) win 2855
- Cricketers on Red Alert 3077
- Upali Mahanama expires 2879
- Afghan teenager has English counties in a spin 2866
- Shastri to apply for India coach job 2861
- NOC conducts workshop ahead of Olympic Value debate programme 2860
- Murray Wimbledon top seed for first time 2857
- Dilhara selected for Commonwealth Chess C’ship 2859
- Islam’s tolerance and justice equal to all 2866
- Toying with Danger 1066
- ‘Spot’ Unseats ‘Forwards’ After Years 1054
- Social media changing our lives 1768
- Correlation between terrorism and Islam Fact or fiction? 1799
- SUCCESSIVE GOVERNMENTS NEGLECTED INVESTMENTS IN ROAD TRANSPORT 3165
- Black Hartal in Bandarawela today! 2752
- Railway worries and TU action 3822
- TNA jittery over TPC – C.V. Wigneswaran 2273
- TPC with a hidden agendaSeeks to weaken ITAK – Senathirajah 2185
- Softlogic LifeStyles official interior partner 2193
- TVS partners Abans for three-wheeler exports to Sri Lanka 2196
- Third car presented to winner 2196
- ‘Creating organizational culture with values’ 2189
- JAT sponsors 2nd Building Specifiers’ Conference 2192
- Can IP rules stifle innovation? 2194
- Sri Lanka Telecom hosts ‘SLT Zero One Awards’Ceremony 2203
- Blue Mountain wins 8 awards 2187
- NDB wins Best Use of Mobile in Finance Sector 2202
- Union Assurance Annual Awards 2016 held in Malaysia 2190
- Solving imaginary and real problems 2199
- Vivo retains IPL title rights till 2022 1344
- Holistic social intervention The crying need for waste management 4547
- Winter is Here! Not really, but will be soon. 1486
- The Esoteric Romanticist Hashan Abeygunarathne 1507
- The Nightingale and the Rose 1479
- Explore what lies under the waves With the Power Ray Drone 1062
- She’s the Man: Review 1061
- Try this when people come to you with their problems 3469
- International Yoga Day Celebration 3447
- Females born under Maha Bhagya Yoga 3479
- Latest Findings on Coconut Oil Kills Cancer in Two Days! 3734
- Birth Nakshatra says what you are – Part 4 3435
- Flying with the Flamingos Saga of the survival of the human spirit 3920
- Hindustani Vocal recital 3853
- Flying with Flamingos Literary exploration into protracted conflict 3936
- Battles and Laments 3904
- Six walks in the fictional woods 3865
- Argus-eye Indexical Dimension of Sign-Making 3835
- Latest lady chef in city 949
- Horton Plains invaded 1075
- Haiti 913
- GERMANY 887
- Invention of coloured crayons for kids 895
- Sri Lankan contingent to take wing 907