Relevant authorities have been advised to ensure the security of TNA MP M.A. Sumanthiran- Speaker informs Parliament.
Latest News - Local
Sri Lanka's Foreign Minister says his country needs more time to fulfil promises given to the UN human rights body to investigate war crimes allegations from a long civil war that ended seven years ago.
The Common Workers Union (CWU), of the Ceylon Petroleum Corporation (CPC), will today file a fundamental rights petition in the Supreme Court, seeking an order for the China Bay Oil Tank Farm in Trincomalee, which is being used illegally by the Indian Oil Company (IOC), be removed from the administration of the IOC and vested in the CPC.
Two more, new medical colleges will be established in the country within this year, said Minister of Higher Education and Highways.
The case filed against former Minister Wimal Weerawansa's wife Shashi, was yesterday committed to trial by Colombo Chief Magistrate Lal Ranasinghe Bandara.
The government has accepted the Court ruling on SAITM and will do whatever is necessary to assist it in the near future, said Minister of Higher Education Lakshman Kiriella.
Two people who are bathing at a pool in "Village Resort" in Theldeniya police division have drowned, last evening (07), police reported.
An accident has occurred when a three-wheeler travelled on Katunayake-Minuwangoda road, lost control toppled off the road and crash into a post, last night (07), police said.
A sudden fire has occurred in a land near Rossella Railway station, last evening (07), police said.
A fatal accident has occurred when the trishaw traveling on a by road, lost control and toppled off the road, in Kilinochchiya police division, last evening (07), Police Media Unit told Ceylon Today.
A website created for the 14th UN International Vesak Festival to be held in Sri Lanka this year, and for the World Buddhist Conference, was launched by President Maithripala Sirisena at the Presidential Secretariat yesterday (7thFeb).
Ground frost can be expected at some places in the Nuwara-Eliya district, in the early hours of the morning.
President Maithripala Sirisena appointed a four-member committee to standardize the functions of Associated Newspapers of Ceylon Ltd aka Lake House.
The Government of Finland is prepared to fully assist Sri Lanka turn a new leaf in the field of power and energy.
Four member committee appointed to look in to upgrading functions at Lake House-PMD (President's Media Division)
The compensation given to families of persons killed by wild elephant attacks will be increased to Rs 500,000 from Rs 200,000. The minister of Sustainable Development and Wild Life Gamini Jayawickrema Perera will present a cabinet paper said Deputy Minister Sumedha G. Jayasena.
Minister of Health,Nutrition and Indigenous Medicine Dr.Rajitha Senarathna is exploring the possibility of importing a drug to save the lives of heart patients.
Heavy traffic has been reported in Ward Place, Colombo 7 due to a protest rally by university non-academic staff.
MP Wimal Weerawansa further remanded till 20 February.
HC to consider today 1894
Colombo High Court (CHC) Judge Manilal Waidyathilaka yesterday put off the consideration of the bail revision application filed by former DIG Anura Senanayake, who has been incarcerated for nearly a year over his alleged involvement in the brutal murder of former rugby player Wazim Thajudeen until today.
- NUJ 109th Birth anniversary 3369
- Mangala to urge 24-month extension 3540
- Namal slaps CBK with defamation 3444
- Pakistan still eyeing JF-17 Thunder Fighter sale to Sri Lanka 3151
- CID grills govt Printer, Director, others 3232
- LRC seeks Police protection 3141
- MR to meet Tamil and Muslim leaders 3212
- Leprosy hits western province 3150
- skipper of ill-fated boat remanded 3135
- Raggers will be promptly expelled 3164
- Double-speak from SB on Wimal 3167
- VX nerve agent killed Kim Jong-nam 3141
- More snags foul up Constitution making 3291
- NFPWHR warns of massive protest 3143
- Mangala meets US HDP delegation 3146
- SL Police deny ‘hunting’ refugees in HK 3135
- 1500 students denied Uni education 3219
- SLFP CMs to boycott meeting 3134
- Wimal not a party leader – Dayasiri 3141
- New Zealand-bound boat people held 3128
- Pension for disabled ex-soldiers 3125
- Divorce case ends after 18 years 3196
- Payagala death toll now 16 3954
- MR hits out at CBK 4060
- ONUR refutes Army claims 3949
- February – a celebratory month 3116
- Political mayhem 3134
- Significance of Sri Lanka’s legal profession 3121
- A house divided 3106
- Building castles in the air 3111
- Upholding children’s rights 5652
- Now or never for Havies 2249
- Bad light saves day for Isipathana 2245
- Golfer Arumugam no more 2246
- Royal resist late Joes’ onslaught 2251
- Sadeera's 177 n.o. guides SL 'A' 2242
- Sadeera pushes for Test spot 2520
- Wimal gets short shrift 3368
- BASL in the dock 3294
- Ragging: The ugly truth 3305
- Govt gambling with our lives – KPP protesters 3293
- Keppetipola mansion in bad shape 3288
- Diesel Mafia raises its head again... 3287
- SAITM students will not be accepted by any country– Prof. Hiran Amerasekera 3164
- I have no issues with the Minister– Anoma Gamage 3510
- LG elections should be under new system 3335
- Dr. Sivamohan reiterates preference for foreign intervention 2899
- RICE SHORTAGE AND HIGH PRICES BIG MILL OWNERS TO BLAME SAYS ACPF 3049
- I believe in cooperative politics – Karuna 2013
- I like to talk to diehard Sinhala chauvinists – Wigneswaran 2367
- Justices should be subject to judicial audits 3753
- Traders have imported rice under local branding– Duminda Dissanayake 3629
- CTSU to protest SAITM ruling-on the streets 3875
- Google's self-driving firm sues Uber 2507
- Colombo Fashion Week dates for Summer season, 13 – 18 March 2513
- International Thunder Cat Power Boat Racing in Bentota- a thrilling experience 2508
- BPPL Holdings Limited announces Rs. 368 Mn IPO 2509
- Durdans Lab Service adds ‘Predictive Tests’ for disease prevention 2510
- INSEE Cement wins Green Platinum Award at HarithaSihinaya 2017 2508
- Valencia stun Real Madrid 2731
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 3048
- Fully fledged Media Commission by June – DGI 3079
- Way for True Conciliation! 4244
- Mathews is confident of bouncing back 2850
- Djokovic still the biggest rival, says Murray 3397
- A musical evening-Hindi film songs 3035
- Sitar recital 3031
- Alston Koch to sing at the ‘OSCARS’ after party 3037
- Luang Prabang – A Journey into Sublimity 3033
- Blue all the way 3033
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - Part 10 3035
- Employees rewarded 1327
- Training in excellence 1326
- Human – elephant conflict rears up again 1369
- Nature in its wild pristine beauty 1332
- A touch of Yalpanam 1332
- Blood facts 1328