In the chaotic aftermath of US President Donald Trump's controversial immigration ban, news has emerged that 71 individuals from 20 , including Sri Lanka, a country that was not on the US travel blacklist – were detained Tuesday at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport.
Latest News - Local
An individual has been arrested for keeping illicit liquor in his possession, on a raid conducted by the Police in Horana, last evening (01), the Police said.
Dr. Naveen De Soyza, Secretary to the Government Medical Officers' Association (GMOA) told Ceylon Today, that the Central Committee of the GMOA which will meet today is expected to arrive at several serious decisions relevant to securing the rights of patients and protecting the standards of medical education.
A protest campaign has been organized, requesting a complete criminal investigation into the CB Bond Scam by a group of University lectures, actress and professional workers, of “ The Independent Professionals Association ”, in front of the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption, today (01).
Water cannons and tear gas used by Police to disperse protestors in Colombo Fort.
A special task force appointed to oversee the construction of 620 000 houses for low and middle income families by 2019.
Several incidents of road accidents have been reported island wide yesterday (31), resulting 7 casualties, said the Police Media Unit
The Court of Appeal issued a verdict yesterday stating that the SAITM private university in Malabe has the legal authority to award a Medical Degree, and ordered the Sri Lanka Medical Council to take steps to duly register students who obtain the Medical Degree from this institution, as qualified medical practitioners.
Colombo Additional Magistrate Aruna Buddhadasa yesterday granted approval to the FCID to peruse the bank accounts of JO and SLFP MP Namal Rajapaksa and five others related to the purchase of shares from the Hello Corporation from which it is alleged they had illegally earned a sum of Rs 100 million.
The report in yesterday's edition of Ceylon Today referring to the disclosure of a new breed of mosquito, discovered in Pesalai in the North, which is a vector of malaria, has caught the attention of President Maithripala Sirisena.
A brothel ran under the guise of an ayurvedic massage parlour was raided in Malay Street Colombo last evening (31), Police Media Unit said.
The construction of the second phase of the Central Expressway, from Meerigama to Kurunegala, will begin today.
Prevailing rainy weather will gradually decrease from today (31), the Met. Department said.
CID arrested Astrologer Vijith Rohana on charges of misleading the public.
Government Medical Officers' Association said that they will be seeking legal consultation regarding the court order issued by the Court of Appeal, into the SAITM students' case at a press conference that was held today (31).
A protest organized by IUSF displaying their displeasure regarding the court order legalizing the private medical institute SAITM was held earlier today (31).
A survey to determine whether to change the police uniform - Police Media Spokesman
Parrotfish is a colorful species found in relatively shallow tropical oceans such as the seas around Sri Lanka. They belong to the Scaridae family and the Sri Lankan fishers call them "Giraw".
The court of appeal ruled earlier today that the South Asian Institute of Technology and Medicine (SAITM) is legally eligible to issue medical degrees.
Three people have died yesterday (30) due to road related accidents, Police said.
- Wimal further remanded 3599
- Court allows respondents be noticed 3597
- Arrested soldiers suspended 3730
- IGP off to Tokyo for narcotics confab 3579
- Sharp drop in incidence of Dengue reported 3584
- Armed police mobile squads 3597
- Take over Health and Higher Education 3605
- As SAITM mgmt meets Prez Sirisena 3611
- Blood to be tested 3592
- Amaraweera to revoke fishing licenCe 3582
- MONKS DECRY SCHOOL BIG MATCHES 3591
- BASL elections put on hold 3590
- Ragging rears its wretched head again 3591
- SEUSL gets High Tech Lab 3577
- SEUSL Convocation held at BMICH 3579
- Shahid Afridi ends international career 3581
- Unite to fight for Tamil issues 3578
- The European Union first 3580
- Ensuring Euro-Atlantic security 3575
- Attempt on Sumanthiran’s life and failure of intelligence services 3611
- TRC to outsource statistics data 3574
- Two more killed in road accidents 3566
- Police oic arrested 3576
- US delegation to strengthen ties 3579
- SEC man gets bail 3577
- Corruption and confusion 3461
- A state in disarray 3477
- MATTIS FIRING ON ALL CYLINDERS 3433
- Will myths be replaced by science? 3299
- Legal action against corrupt politicians 3380
- Workshops and Balkans again 3404
- Egypt court confirms death sentences 2684
- India face South Africa today 2686
- England Lions rout Sri Lanka ‘A’ by 195 runs 2685
- Tsonga wins Rotterdam title 2677
- Messi penalty rescues poor Barcelona 2679
- Asela earns maiden IPL contract 2682
- Is India Still Interested Developing Trincomalee Port? 3209
- Rice at a price 1797
- Step in the right direction 1706
- Decriminalize homosexuality 1695
- Ruffling judicial feathers 1805
- SAITM still tossed on a stormy sea 1922
- Dr. Sivamohan reiterates preference for foreign intervention 2693
- RICE SHORTAGE AND HIGH PRICES BIG MILL OWNERS TO BLAME SAYS ACPF 3010
- I believe in cooperative politics – Karuna 1981
- I like to talk to diehard Sinhala chauvinists – Wigneswaran 2275
- Justices should be subject to judicial audits 3721
- Traders have imported rice under local branding– Duminda Dissanayake 3605
- CTSU to protest SAITM ruling-on the streets 3835
- ‘Unity Government’ A golden opportunity... 3393
- New Laws for Port City – Malik Samarawickrama 2232
- I did not give vehicles to Wimal’s relatives– Prof. Ashu Marasinghe 3140
- Amazon plans 5000 new jobs in UK 2871
- UK Vauxhall pensions could scupper GM Peugeot sale 2868
- China piles pressure on North Korea by banning coal imports 2867
- ‘Spot’ devalued by 40 cents to Rs 151.25 2874
- SLT certified to construct Tier 3 internet data center 2907
- Central Bank launches Data Library 2901
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 2995
- Fully fledged Media Commission by June – DGI 3037
- Way for True Conciliation! 4211
- Mathews is confident of bouncing back 2833
- Djokovic still the biggest rival, says Murray 3382
- Malayalam film - “Orazhcha” (A week) 3258
- Sri Lanka’s Finest Talent – but Who Cares? 3255
- The mesmerizing mystery of Mozart’s music – Mass in C major KV317 (Coronation) 3235
- A Showstopping Performance 3426
- House for Rent 3254
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - part 9 3217
- Junsu 1471
- The fate of our woods 1467
- Celebrate ‘A month of love’ 1468
- Five new branch openings 1468
- THINC Sri Lanka Networking Conference 2017 1496
- ‘Our Shop’ for staff welfare 1467