Attackers have entered the largest military hospital in Kabul and a gun battle is under way, the Afghan defence ministry says.
Latest News - Local
A number of Ministers and MPs from the minority and minor parties are attempting to prevent legislation ensuring a 25% quota for women in local councils, Campaign for Free and Fair Elections (CaFFE) Executive Director Rajith Keerthi Tennakoon said yesterday.
The Foundation stone will be laid for the new Courts complex in Ruwanwella on 10th March under the patronage of the Minister of Justice Wijayadasa Rajapaksha.
Speaker informs MPs that Attorney General's letter reguarding the COPE report on Treasury Bond will be presented to Parliament.
President MaithripalaSirisena requested all Sri Lankan expatriates not to be misled by false propaganda on the government carried out by political opponents through some websites and media. The President was speaking to the Sri Lankans living in Indonesia yesterday (6thMarch) at the Sri Lankan Embassy in Indonesia.
Minister of Justice and Buddhasasana, Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe said that it is pointless to create scholars who cannot make a significant contribution towards the wellbeing of the nation. According to reports he made this remark during a Dhamma school ceremony organized by the Ministry of Buddhasasana in Negombo.
The villagers of Ashraff Nagar in the Addalaichenai DS Division staged a march on Sunday to create awareness on the threats they faced from wild elephants.
The management of the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) is returning premier service aircraft to Sri Lanka.
Government has decided to establish a special tourism zone from Thabbowa to Wilpattu, said the State Minister of Skill Development and Vocational Training Palitha Range Bandara.
Department of Railway on 3rd March signed an MoU to purchase 10 train engines and six power sets made in India.
Subsequent to being removed from the post of Secretary of the Sri Lanka Muslim Congress (SLMC), Hassan Ali has launched an attack openly on the Leader of the Party Minister Rauff Hakeem.
Old Colombo - Awissawella road blocked due to a protest at the Meethotamulla junction.
The inauguration ceremony of the program 'Shilpa Navoda', organized by the Education Ministry along with the Ministry of Industry and Commerce and the National Craft Council will take place today at the 'Ape Gama' premises, in Battaramulla.
UPFA and JO MP Vasudeva Nanayakkara says that warfare between underworld gangs has resurfaced, in the country, as a result of gangsters who had left the country during the Mahinda Rajapaksa presidency, having returned, due to lax policies of the current administration. He said that during the Rajapaksa regime such warfare among underworld groups had been effectively curtailed due to its stringent network helmed by then Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa. He said that those who had even fled the country due to the tough action initiated by the then Defence Secretary have now returned to resume their activities resulting in constant clashes between such groups in the recent past.
Tri forces and Police are continuing with operations to arrest tri forces personnel considered as Absent Without Official Leave (AWOL).
The Campaign for Free and Fair Elections (CaFFE) said yesterday that all those concerned in mooting the idea of a minimum of 25 % of ministers in a Provincial Council (PC) be women as announced on Women's Day – 2016, have quietly dropped the subject.
Former Police Spokesman DIG Ajith Rohana said that the Sri Lanka Police from yesterday commenced an island wide operation to search illegal firearms used by underworld gangsters.
Court orders to detain and question the suspect who brought weapons into Mt. Lavinia court premises.
By U. Munasinghe
The Ceylon Motorcyclists Association (CMA) will, this morning, stage a protest demonstration at Galle Face against the decision to ban the wearing of full-face helmets.
The Railway Station Masters Association (SMA) is planning to stage a 48-hour strike commencing at midnight on 7 March over several issues such as salary anomalies and promotions etc, Railway sources said yesterday.
Weather today 2563
- Peace Air goes to HRC, SC next week 2487
- Rajapakshe damns Int’l Community 2480
- ‘Drum and Dance’ with Kandy GHS OGA 2465
- 77th National Day of Pakistan in Sri Lanka 2467
- Right royal gesture 2468
- Rare discovery in Tissamaharama 2477
- SLFP MP laments crossovers 2625
- Held with electronic cigarette 2485
- More Luxury Cars for Ministers 2505
- MR wishes Ranil ‘Happy B’Day’ 2481
- New domestic airline 2471
- Medvedev- Sirisena have broad talks 2466
- Helicopter maintenance centre in SL 2469
- 3 soldiers arrested, brigadier probed 2475
- MPs warned against misconduct 2467
- BASL inducts new President today 2461
- Mubarak freed 2461
- Human Rights at heart of EU Policy – Margue 2463
- Six Forest reserves made one 2465
- NZ High Commission in Sri Lanka 2461
- Govt must honour UN resolution – TNA 2461
- CB move, a monetary strategy 2462
- Lanka thanks countries for support at UNHRC 2462
- Wimal stays hungry 4262
- Pakistan-Sri Lanka relationship stands firm – HC Hussain 4189
- Protests, fisticuffs and fast unto death 2499
- Are tourism authorities wearing blinkers? 2492
- A time of gifts 2475
- Nationalists and globalists 2468
- Rationalists vs charlatans Never-ending battle 2468
- Right of access to legal assistance 2468
- Hamilton bosses season's first practice 2469
- Brazil thrash Uruguay 2463
- Federer, Nishikori missing from Monte Carlo line-up 2467
- Messi fires Argentina over Chile 2466
- Tough skipper says South Africa 'not good enough' 2466
- Mahanama takes honours on first day 2473
- COMPOUNDED MISERY 3545
- Forefathers of Tamils of SL were original inhabitants of this Country 3604
- Jaffna Prepares for Chronic Kidney Disease 3387
- A Blueprint for Disintegration 3389
- Refugee returnee safety still in doubt? 3348
- Tamils lived in N/E before Buddhistic era – Wigneswaran 3577
- We await President’s response – Gemunu 3211
- LTTE atrocities also have to be investigated 3775
- Exporters to EU must be educated on Brexit – GM ECCSL Srinath 3279
- Speaker refused our request 3277
- Dinesh only UPFA’s Deputy Leader 3277
- Voters must exercise caution when electing MPs – Harshana Rajakaruna 2568
- Forced family planning is happening countywide – Galagoda Aththe Gnanasara Thera 3886
- ITAK’s arbitrary actions cause conflict in TNA – Sivasakthy Ananthan 3549
- NCSL for Sustainable Development 5215
- Major endorsement of govt’s reconciliation efforts 4708
- Tomorrow’s cities: Are your shoes giving away data? 2468
- Trouble on the ranch Threats to trade deals worry US cattle farmers 2467
- What creativity in marketing looks like today 2468
- Hameedia launches ‘Andum Mesaya’ to celebrate Avurudu 2468
- Bankers are no longer the enemy 2472
- Reform immigration laws to attract more FDI 3273
- The crisis in Parliament: Twilight of a functioning democracy 3480
- Mispriced Risk of Infectious Diseases 2419
- Limelight on Sri Lanka again 2423
- Former JVP terror districts continue in poverty 3632
- Valencia stun Real Madrid 2905
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 3226
- Musicalized Version of Nostalgia 5440
- The Many Faces of Galle 6300
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - Part 13 5462
- Fiesta for Theatre lovers 5916
- Viramaya 2017 – Phenomenal success 5447
- Sri Lankan movie at Geneva film festival 5501
- To be or not to be 1312
- Kids get cooking 1311
- Mindfulness for successful living 1328
- The age of nastiness 1312
- 20 years of singing celebrated 1308
- How do we prevent rape and abuse? 1313