Old Colombo - Awissawella road blocked due to a protest at the Meethotamulla junction.
Latest News - Local
The inauguration ceremony of the program 'Shilpa Navoda', organized by the Education Ministry along with the Ministry of Industry and Commerce and the National Craft Council will take place today at the 'Ape Gama' premises, in Battaramulla.
UPFA and JO MP Vasudeva Nanayakkara says that warfare between underworld gangs has resurfaced, in the country, as a result of gangsters who had left the country during the Mahinda Rajapaksa presidency, having returned, due to lax policies of the current administration. He said that during the Rajapaksa regime such warfare among underworld groups had been effectively curtailed due to its stringent network helmed by then Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapaksa. He said that those who had even fled the country due to the tough action initiated by the then Defence Secretary have now returned to resume their activities resulting in constant clashes between such groups in the recent past.
Tri forces and Police are continuing with operations to arrest tri forces personnel considered as Absent Without Official Leave (AWOL).
The Campaign for Free and Fair Elections (CaFFE) said yesterday that all those concerned in mooting the idea of a minimum of 25 % of ministers in a Provincial Council (PC) be women as announced on Women's Day – 2016, have quietly dropped the subject.
Former Police Spokesman DIG Ajith Rohana said that the Sri Lanka Police from yesterday commenced an island wide operation to search illegal firearms used by underworld gangsters.
Court orders to detain and question the suspect who brought weapons into Mt. Lavinia court premises.
By U. Munasinghe
The Ceylon Motorcyclists Association (CMA) will, this morning, stage a protest demonstration at Galle Face against the decision to ban the wearing of full-face helmets.
The Railway Station Masters Association (SMA) is planning to stage a 48-hour strike commencing at midnight on 7 March over several issues such as salary anomalies and promotions etc, Railway sources said yesterday.
The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) on Thursday (2) arrested two Navy officers in connection with the murder of 11 persons, including five students in Trincomalee, after they were kidnapped from Colombo in the 2008-2009, sources said.
A program to provide Bowsers to supply water to the people in the drought affected areas was implemented under the patronage of President Maithripala Sirisena yesterday (2nd March) at the Ministry of Defense.
Prevailing showery condition is expected to continue during the next few days (3rd and 4th March) due to the atmospheric disturbance in the vicinity of Sri Lanka, Met. Department said.
Gazette notification about T- Bonds is in compliance with the Registered Stock and Securities Ordinance, No7 of 1937 - CBSL-
Sathosa rice cheaper 1670
Lanka Sathosa has begun to sell rice at below the maximum retail price, Minister of Industry and Commerce Rishad Bathiudeen announced yesterday (2).
The CID yesterday informed the Colombo Chief Magistrate's Court that it has begun a probe into transactions conducted with credit cards belonging to rugby star Wazim Thajudeen around the time that he was brutally murdered.
20 suspects arrested 1619
Twenty suspects have been arrested on suspicion of being connected to the discovery of two revolvers and ten bullets found at the Mount Lavinia Magistrate's Court premises by Mount Lavinia Police last Wednesday.
Fifteen students of Peradeniya University arrested over ragging freshers, further remanded until March 16th.
Anura Senanayake, arrested over the murder case of Wasim Thajudeen, further remanded till16th of March.
Supreme Court Senior judge Priyasad Dep sworn as the new Chief Justice, before President Maithripala Sirisena, at President's House, earlier today (02).
The government will not close down the South Asian Institute of Technology and Management (SAITM), Co-Cabinet Spokesman Minister Rajitha Senaratne said yesterday, commenting on the recent controversies surrounding the institute.
- Since taking over from Avant Garde Navy’s OBST earns Rs 3 B for Govt 3831
- Schools big match season 22 vehicles in custody 3797
- President hints at Cabinet reshuffle 3841
- Three Lankan pilgrims die Extremely cold weather in Dambadiva 3798
- 2,484 dengue patients in Trinco 3788
- Wimal taken to prison hospital Hunger strike enters fifth day 3804
- President misled on Wilpattu issue – ECT Gazette provides zero relief for destruction 3813
- R’kanth’s Jaffna visit dropped 3780
- Rajinikanth’s SL tour cancellation Welcomed by Parties barring BJP 3786
- IUSF in 65 anti-SAITM protests Demand scrapping of Institute 3791
- JVPer claims paddy sold to distillery at Rs 28 3868
- Maligawa Road will remain closed – Kiriella 3825
- Suspect arrested with revolver 3784
- Soma Agnes Maduragoda dies George Perera’s Mother-in-law 3785
- Strike in Afghanistan US confirms al-Qaida figure killed 3782
- Soaring dengue cases 3770
- Visit My Mosque Open day for everyone 3768
- 25 held in pre-dawn Police swoop Illicit liquor, narcotics seized 3767
- Kalkudah distillery runs into snag PS approval in limbo 3774
- South Eastern University shuns ragging 3770
- Civil society should assist Police –DIG 3766
- Defending Liberal Democracy in Poland 3775
- Fighting for Life at 60 3808
- Kandy tops list in air pollution 2759
- CBSL printsRs 48.9B Money printing costs up by Rs 676M to RS 7.9B 2711
- From Russia with friendship: ‘Kandyan Kastane’ 3292
- Is the Government attempting to STIFLE PUBLIC’S RIGHT TO PROTEST? 3289
- Protests, fisticuffs and fast unto death 3241
- Are tourism authorities wearing blinkers? 3207
- A time of gifts 3138
- Nationalists and globalists 3126
- Richmond emerge champions 2715
- SL in deep slump 2728
- Lyon claims four key wickets 2713
- Joes beat Antonians 2708
- Muthuthanthri set for captaincy ? 2749
- Vettel wins Australian Grand Prix 2718
- The roles people play Prioritizing Sex & Gender 3171
- Typical double standards & hypocrisy 3032
- Main cause of kidney diseases 3079
- ‘Posh Pooches’ to be lavished with love 3032
- Preventive measures 3011
- Opening a can of worms 3064
- Rewarded for sensitizing rights of the disabled 3122
- Foreign Judges can hear cases – Niran Anketell 3096
- We await President’s response – Gemunu 3233
- LTTE atrocities also have to be investigated 3808
- Exporters to EU must be educated on Brexit – GM ECCSL Srinath 3296
- Speaker refused our request 3288
- Dinesh only UPFA’s Deputy Leader 3285
- Voters must exercise caution when electing MPs – Harshana Rajakaruna 2580
- Forced family planning is happening countywide – Galagoda Aththe Gnanasara Thera 3901
- ITAK’s arbitrary actions cause conflict in TNA – Sivasakthy Ananthan 3558
- G20 drops pledge to fight protectionism Bows down to US opposition in spite of China 3323
- Chinawood: The merging of ‘Hollywood’ and ‘Made in China’ 3302
- Facebook to challenge YouTube and Spotify 3301
- Revised IMF deal expected by April Disbursement by June – Central Bank 3308
- Sri Lankan to maintain fleet position 3453
- High production costs hurting shipbuilding industry 3307
- The crisis in Parliament: Twilight of a functioning democracy 3499
- Mispriced Risk of Infectious Diseases 2442
- Limelight on Sri Lanka again 2446
- Former JVP terror districts continue in poverty 3668
- Valencia stun Real Madrid 2915
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 3240
- Musicalisation of Narrative 3894
- The Many Faces of Galle -Part 2 3925
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction- Part 14 3903
- Afternoon Shadows 3913
- Living up to ideals 4061
- Clash of the Titans in Nuwara Eliya 3947
- The plight of our corals 1727
- India’s largest international décor mall launched in Bangalore 1707
- The games gods and politicians play 1704
- A challenged life 1695
- The Threshold: Patching up our privileged defeats 1763
- Animal assisted therapy 1699