Finance Ministry sources said yesterday that a new policy will have to be followed by all financial institutions commencing 1 January 2017 when purchasing vehicles on a lease basis.
Latest News - Local
Prisons Commissioner Thushara Upuldeniya says that they have decided to install the CCTV camera system in prisons where there are concerns over security.
The entire executive committee of the Lanka Private Bus Owners Association (LPBOA) will resign if they fail to implement three new proposed projects, to develop the transport sector, within the next six months, the Association's President, Gemunu Wijeratne, said.
The Police have requested public to avoid Avissawella-Colombo Road and use alternative roads between 5pm and 11pm today (29) as the Ganga Rohana Maha Perahara of the Kanampalla Sri SumanaramaViharaya will be parading the streets.
Remains of former Prime Minister Ratnasiri Wickremenayake will be kept in the Sri Lanka Parliamentary Complex for state honors today (28) from 10.30.a.m to 11.30.a.m.
Cancer will soon become the most threatening Non Communicable Disease (NCD) affecting Sri Lankans, Health Minister Rajitha Senaratne says.
Two day Dengue Prevention program, which will inspect all the school premises island-wide prior to the beginning of the school term in the New Year commences today (27).
The 12th Tsunami commemoration falls today (26).
The world's largest man made Christmas tree, which is to be set for a new Guinness World Record will be unveiled today at the Galle Face Green. The 325 feet tall tree will be completed using 1,000,000 hand-painted pine cones of red, gold, green and silver and 300,000 LED lights.
The final report compiled by the Committee on Public Enterprises (COPE) on the Central Bank bond scam is to be debated in Parliament on 24 January next year.
President Maithripala Sirisena urged all Catholic Bishops to urgently pray for rains to overcome the intense drought that is now prevalent throughout the country during the State Christmas festival held in Negombo yesterday.
IGP Pujith Jayasundera has ordered the Police Department to suspend the release of any information via email to the media, with effect from 22 December.
Draft of the development special provisions bill rejected at the Northern Provincial Council.
Compensation to the victims of the May 2016 floods will be completely settled by the end of February next year, Chairman of the National Insurance Trust Fund (NITF) Manjula de Silva said.
Visitors accompany passengers at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) will not be allowed into the departure area from 6 January to 5 April, 2017, Minister of Transport and Civil Aviation Nimal Siripala de Silva said yesterday.
Two Sri Lankans are among eight women set to be deported by the Kuwait Government. They were arrested by the Farwaniya Police recently after their employers reported that they had been absconding, according to the Kuwait Times.
The Cabinet of Ministers on Tuesday approved a proposal by Minister of Industries and Commerce, Rishad Bathiudeen to allow the private sector to import rice for the specific purpose of creating a reserve that can be used to control upward price fluctuations in the open market.
Year on year inflation, based on the National Consumer Price Index, had decreased to 4.1% in November, from the 5.0% recorded in October 2016, the Director General of Census and Statistics, Dr. Amara Satharasinghe, said.
National Consumer Price Index figure for November 2016 is 116.6. Year on Year (YoY) inflation is 4.1.
Paddy Marketing Board (PMB) Chairman M.B. Dissanayake said that the stocks of paddy held by the PMB will be released from today.
Taboo to SLFPers 1688
- More job opportunities for local seafarers 291
- Tamil Diaspora lobbies against GSP plus 294
- Foreign exits pass Rs 75B mark 291
- Peace Airways to fly six A 380s from Mattala 298
- Poor quality fuel re-enters market 291
- Wiggy returns from Canada with ‘cough’ 4588
- Control the price of rice 3756
- 15 families move into DS office 3759
- SLFP moots LG polls under ‘FPP’ 3764
- Conman takes parents on Rs 3 M ride 4004
- Hakeem wants Govt rethink 3777
- Delimitation report gazetted soon 3749
- Six injured in home-and-home feud 3764
- Fine increased to Rs 200,000 3789
- Tamil ‘State Language’ in Tamil Majority Areas 3775
- Imported Rice Not above Rs 76 a kilo 3746
- President appeals: ‘Avert energy crisis’ 3742
- ‘I’ll turn the tables in a jiffy’ 3771
- JVP ups Anti-Govt Initiatives 3746
- Taboo to SLFPers 3763
- SLPP will shun UPFA nominations 3759
- Lagarde lauds SL’s economic efforts 3744
- Thousands protest in USA 3748
- Two exclusive HCs to hear cases? 3967
- Dengue strikes UK envoy 4581
- A Commonwealth Quartet 3629
- CTF recommendations and hybrid court 3612
- Singing in Paradise 3613
- Galle and its annual literary festival 3590
- SRI LANKANS AND THE ROYAL ACCOLADES 3590
- DONALD TRUMP…CHUMP, MORON, PARADOX 3077
- Molligoda in final 33
- CCC take first innings points 35
- Nipun scores second ton 35
- SL rout Zim by 7 wickets 37
- SL returns to Wanderers to save the series 35
- Kandy seal win with first-half blitz 35
- The vision a nightmare; the revenue a myth! 97
- A Rishad canard! 94
- Flying high in ‘Velvet city’ 96
- Govt has no business in our bedrooms 94
- Woman returns home after 26 years of captivity 92
- Drought plays havoc 93
- Coal industry mafia sacked me 117
- I have a responsibility to correct this Govt 117
- A NEW CONSTITUTION A MUST 3337
- WIDER PARTICIPATION MANDATORY FOR PEOPLE-FRIENDLY CONSTITUTION 3941
- Political furnace heating up once more 3233
- No need for a new Constitution 3923
- People are sick of the same old faces 2976
- Sarath Silva Slams Tinkering in Law/Constitution 4291
- No property in Wimal’s name – Shashi Weerawansa 6263
- Government rushing into self-destruction 2938
- China’s economy grows 6.7% in 2016 77
- Back-up plan to seek partner for SriLankan 76
- China posts weakest growth in 26 years 77
- Political ramifications complicate fiscal consolidation 78
- CBSL retires Rs 34.1B T-Bills 79
- FTA with NZ in the offing 77
- Way for True Conciliation! 3864
- Mathews is confident of bouncing back 2669
- Djokovic still the biggest rival, says Murray 3264
- Odissi dance recital Taal Taranga 176
- Candid and Undeterred remarks on Luke Wright 177
- Enchanting scrutiny into historical novels 179
- Davena Vihagun (aka Burning Birds) for The Ingamar Bergman Film Award 176
- Rev. Fr. Harold Panditharatne – Teacher Par Excellance 177
- Postnational cinema? 177
- Authentic poetry rewarded 45
- Kala Pola 2017 44
- A mighty platform for the creative writer 46
- The start of a new year 46
- Special Chinese New Year food festival 46
- Escape to Sigiriya 45