The turbulence which prevailed in the Northern Provincial Council (NPC) has been brought to an end with Jaffna's two most venerable clergy men of two different faiths getting into action to see the main characters in the NPC crisis giving up their 'tug-of-war' which had emerged following Chief Minister C.V. Wigneswaran's action against four NPC Ministers who were accused of corruption and malpractices.
Columns News - MINORITY PERSPECTIVES
The Northern Provincial Council (NPC) four years after its formation is now in upheaval following the report released by a special committee which was appointed by Chief Minister C.V. Wigneswaran to probe into allegations against four NPC Ministers.
The 36th anniversary of burning of the Jaffna Public Library was commemorated at the library building which has been now refurbished with new book shelves containing even a vast collection of books of Communist stalwart and Minister late Pieter Keuneman donated to it after his death in January 1997.
The Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna (JVP) Leader and Chief Opposition Whip Anura Kumara Dissanayake has clearly indicated that the country is heading rapidly towards communal disharmony due to the ignorance of the Government on racist elements taking the upper hand ridiculing peace and reconciliation.
On 27July 1975 the news of the assassination of former Jaffna Mayor Alfred Duraiappah had spread in the Peninsula like wildfire forecasting a darker era to unfold with untold misery.
Former President and the Chairperson of the Office for National Unity and Reconciliation (ONUR) Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga had pointed out the need of holding an international investigation into the alleged war crimes believed to have been committed during the previous regime.
The early eighties had witnessed Jaffna Peninsula gradually turning into a land of merciless killings with the emergence of several Tamil militant outfits with the slogan of liberation struggle for Eelam.
It is for the first time all Tamil and Muslim political parties joined hands with several non political organizations and staged a non violent hartal on Thursday in the Northern and Eastern provinces in support of the families of involuntarily disappeared persons.
The civilians in Mullaitivu have launched a protest against the Sri Lanka Navy (SLN) expanding its presence in the Mullaitivu District by acquiring nearly 617 acres for the expansion of the Navy presence in the Mullaitivu District.
Northern Province Chief Minister C.V. Wigneswaran made a mind boggling speech, for the first time in a practical manner, realizing the ground realities of the Northern Province, since he became the first Chief Minister of the Province in October 2013.
Indian Tamil cinema's super star Rajinikanth, was the hero in the Tamil film 'Thee' (Fire), which was filmed in Sri Lanka, and it was released simultaneously in India and Sri Lanka in January 1981.
It was in the mid-eighties that several interesting developments took place in Jaffna between the Army and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) to the surprise of the people of Jaffna and the country at large.
The UN Special Rapporteur on Minority issues Ms Rita Izsak Ndiaye in her address at the ongoing UNHRC session in Geneva on Wednesday (15) has emphasized the need of Sri Lanka safeguarding the minorities and on fulfilling its commitments in implementing the UNHRC resolution.
- Police media spokesman quits 2775
- IUSF Convener remanded 2750
- Reserves Grow To $ 7B 2750
- US, EU Growth To Aid Exports 2753
- Govt’s response ‘most brutal’ says MR 2863
- Heavy showers as SW Monsoon Breaks 2758
- IMF’s 3rd tranche in July 2741
- Former Govts Racketed in Bonds 3075
- Automatic pricing mechanisms for CEB, CPC 2767
- Hard landing for SriLankan Board? 2772
- Ravi K behind stink in alcohol industry – Anura Kumara 2911
- VAC says Aloysius dodging taxes 2754
- Won’t dump garbage in Meethotamulla 2740
- CB Governor Lowers Growth Forecast 2802
- Prado Imports for Ministers, MPs …Rs 3,000 Million lost in Taxes – PAC 2749
- Interviews completed 2734
- Gang of four busted 2747
- Malaysia First Lady in flood donation 2731
- Monks with a heart for the country 2747
- Batticaloa declared mine risk free 2728
- NFTH for dengue treatment 2880
- SLFP hits out at student protesters 2732
- Three parties petition HRCSL 2732
- NBRO kept in the dark – Yapa 2726
- GMOA slams Rajitha 2738
- June brides smell fresh! 2339
- Longest serving royal consort 2344
- In praise of idleness 2341
- A Sri Lankan perspective Right to self determination 2410
- Sri Lanka Crisis and foresight 2792
- Birth of socialist movement 2782
- Sri Lanka to gear up for IRONMAN triathlon 2388
- Muroya soars to double repeat in Japan 2339
- Red Bull Campus Cricket returns 2381
- Verstappen dominate opening practice 2334
- Etisalat snaps-up Marija, Srinath 2339
- Pregnant 'Wonder Woman' Montano takes more baby steps 2337
- Dharmaraja win by an innings 2334
- ‘Shakspeare Shield’ Golf on 2 July 2340
- Three schools teams win 2334
- Our team is well educated says Rodrigo 2357
- Making a case for coconut oil 3115
- Wahhabism: The curse of Islam and Sri Lankan Muslims 3016
- Sri Lanka’s child marriage law Wounded victims 1999
- Appreciation Tribute to Dr. Asoka Thenabadu on his first death anniversary 2160
- Voyage of Rediscovery 2147
- Impact their mood and emotional system 3094
- Lanka ranked global 5th in marine pollution– GENERAL MANAGER OF THE MARINE ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY DR. TERNEY PRADEEP KUMARA 3279
- NGO funded ‘traitors’ don’t want peace in Sri Lanka – Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe 4593
- Wigneswaran and Copose no threat to the State 4101
- Move to oust Wigneswaran 3060
- ETCA is being played very badly politically – Prof. Razeen sally 2818
- Prostate cancer blood test ‘helps target treatment’ 2343
- Two Britons arrested over Microsoft hack 2340
- Parkinson’s disease ‘may start in gut’ 2340
- Measuring muscle gap ‘helps players back on their feet’ 2335
- Cardiologist: Breast implants skew heart attack test 2334
- Green light for UK driverless car road trials 2334
- Sega debuts free classic games on mobiles 2336
- WhatsApp rises as a major force in news media 2344
- HS2 franchise: Bidder shortlist revealed 2337
- Wimbledon champion Boris Becker declared bankrupt 2346
- A time of gifts Beginning of my second year 2336
- Enlightening the younger generation 2669
- India needs to re-calibrate relations with Sri Lanka 3523
- The Brains behind Royal and Regal 1474
- Way to go France 1469
- In commemoration of late President Ranasinghe Premadasa’s 93rd birth Anniversary (23.06.2017) AN ODE 1644
- Soul Searching with Yoga Om to you on International Yoga Day 1625
- Highend Collecting 1614
- Bound Angle pose Baddha Konasana 1747
- The Christlike Life of Lahiri Mahasaya 1800
- Planets located in the 1st House and their effects 1808
- TRANSIT IN EMPLOYMENT 2 1724
- Birth Nakshatra says what you are – Part 3 1749
- Pickpockets! 3624
- Haunted House 3567
- Violin recital 3590
- Banku Weeraya 3550
- Letters to a Young Novelist 3595
- Indexicality in Cinema 3564
- Early detection saves life 1216
- The predicament of the dead fish 2791
- Spectacular art extravaganza 2654
- Guatemala 2623
- History of astrology 2588
- Design redefined 2600