The Tamils of Indian origin of the hill-country, treated as the children of a lesser God, for many decades, finally were able to grab the attention of those in the North, with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi visiting them on Friday (12).
Columns News - CEYLON POLITICS
A week after President Maithripala Sirisena allegedly proposed a special committee to tackle the trade union mafia and appoint Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka its head, trade unions led by the Government Medical Officers' Association (GMOA) held another massive token strike, last Friday (5).
President Maithripala Sirisena appeared to have stirred the hornets' nest by suggesting a top military post to Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka who is also a Cabinet minister in Maithri-Ranil Unity Government of Yahalapanaya. While factual clarity of this 'suggestion' remain unconfirmed with various members of the same Cabinet issuing contradictory remarks, it is clear that Minister Rajitha Senaratne's official statement made in his capacity as the Cabinet Spokesman led to all hell break loose. Even though, many opinions have been already expressed on the matter, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, who is more experienced in governance than President Sirisena by serving in the same office on two previous occasions, remains silent or rather has not issued any statement on the issue. This also leads to question the clarity of the suggestion vis-a-vis the said appointment.
Much has been spoken about in the aftermath of the Avurudu tragedy that took place at Meethotamulla in which over 30 valuable human lives were officially lost, while few still remain 'missing'. Like in any other incident or recent calamities, members of the tri-forces and relief workers rushed to the scene fulfilling their duties (they still are) while politicians from all corners continue to trade charges against each other.
Tipped to go for a Cabinet reshuffle in the coming weeks and a May Day rally that would once again gauge the true powers of the incumbent President, versus the former, President Sirisena last Tuesday (11) made some dramatic changes in the Kurunegala District party hierarchical order.
A group of Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) and United National Party Members of Parliament (MPs) who came to meet President Maithripala Sirisena at his official chamber in Parliament had to wait in anticipation for almost half an hour as the latter was engaged in a discussion with a group of Joint Opposition members led by Dinesh Gunawardena.
President Maithipala Sirisena clearly states that he, as the Head of the State, does not want foreign judges or would not allow the setting up of a Hybrid Court in the accountability process where Sri Lanka is under international scrutiny for alleged war crimes committed by government's very own military forces in the final stages of 4th Eelam War.
If there were any allegations about President Maithripala Sirisena and his Yahapalana Government aligning towards the West, in total contrast to the Rajapaksa Administration, he took it upon himself to clear the air during his Russian visit.
With Somali pirates seizing a Comoros-flagged oil tanker which had eight Sri Lankan crew members
on board, the first hijacking since 2012 has once again revived the necessity in ensuring maritime security in the Indian Ocean, and other regions.
- Moscow’s Middle East Resurgence
- How the UK Always Plays Ireland
- SEUSL gets a ‘Hela Bojun’ outlet
- BRT system could solve transport issues – Dr Gunaruwan
- Rajitha call for unity to eradicate malaria
- Foreign Investments strengthen Reserves
- Five arrested for attacking students
- Russian drowns in Hikkaduwa
- Inflation in 2017:Inclement weather to blame - CBSL
- Hasen Ali quits SLMC for UPA
- PC Amendment Act Bathiudeen unhappy
- Dayasiri blasts Janayugaya
- Recognizing Jerusalem as Israeli capital:SPPFA criticizes Trump
- Sriyani pledges to support President Quits JO due to neglect
- 25% Women representation Faiszer blasts opposing Ministers
- Most Ven. Prajnananda Maha Thero dead
- Railway strike to continue Talks with Kariyawasam not fruitful - Dodangoda
- Opposition failed to criticize Budget– Harsha
- Air Force X’mas Carols
- Prof. Hapuarachchi accepts responsibility, says: ‘Mawbima’ news item is correct
- Railway Unions adamant Despite essential service declaration
- UN’s CAT OP effective from 4 Jan
- H’tota Port officially handed over to China First tranche of US$ 294 M paid yesterday
- Supply of coconuts to Army Treasury faces huge loss
- Budget passed with 99 majority
- Lakmal stars in Sri Lanka’s victory
- Asia Rugby U-19 Hong Kong trounce Sri Lanka
- Premier League Club Cricket BRC and Colts win
- Dialog Champions League Emma scores hat-trick
- Army SC in hard fought win
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Match drawn at Moratuwa
- 12th Singapore Nationals Lankan Synchro swimmers excel
- England draw warm-up match
- Shakib named new Bangladesh Test captain
- Dr. Lucas wins gold medals
- Fiscal Liability Act in Parliament in Jan
- First tranche of us$ 294 M for Hambantota Port Boost for foreign reserves, imports- cb Governor
- ‘Ports and Shipping Ministry ranked least efficient’
- Finance Company bad loans up 11.5%
- Dilshan Wirasekara elected to CSE Board
- The Jobs Numbers: US employers add 228,000 new jobs Last updated: 8 December 2017
- Stocks rally as dollar posts best week this year
- Nikkei leads Asia markets higher on Friday
- World Bank says Government lacks the will
- Lessons for WTO from EU’s ‘differentiated integration’
- Local Govt elections: Dilemma of the voter People get the leaders they deserve - Joseph de Maistre
- From stifling the freedom of expression A culture of accountability need of the hour To deal with the culture of impunity that pervades Sri Lankan institutions
- Concretes & Abstracts Pogrom in the Penitentiary & T.S. Elliot
- FRANCHISE DELAYED IS FRANCHISE DENIED
- Books the potent portable medium
- A Time of Gifts A long reprieve
- Sampanthan’s unique role
- United nations warns:No hasty returns of Rohingya to Myanmar!
- New Constitution Altering Territorial Boundaries
- Sale of migrants as slaves in Libya May be crime against humanity UN
- Trimble Inc land survey contract Surveyors cry foul, but accused of inefficiency
- Kitulgala be ‘dammed’
- Railway tracks cheaper than highways
- Delimitation process Public response quite low – Dr. K. Thavalingam
- Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- We are moving forward whilst clashing with each other
- Transport systems Cheaper and efficient solutions needed – Prof. Kumarage
- Alleged human rights violations Lord Naseby defends Sri Lanka
- Tourists least concerned about liquor availability Reducing the price of beer a blunder! A gateway to all other drugs
- Plantar fasciitis That Intolerable Heel Ache
- MacOs High Sierra security fix
- Are Lemurs Going Extinct?
- An Echo of Womanhood
- 5 Ways to Use a Blank Notebook
- How to give a killer presentation
- Neecha Dosha of planets and how it is cancelled Neechabhanga Rajayoga
- Vastu defects and bathrooms
- Are you endowed with Pancha Maha PurushaYoga?
- God Aiyanayake: Guardian Deity of Jungle and Village
- Good thoughts eliminate bad planetary influence
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Silvia Senanayake Dazzles at Mrs. Asia International
- Let’s Taco Colombo
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENNETTE MULLED WINE
- Hunger gnaws at Rohingya Children in camps
- Defeating IS Russia has ‘accomplished’ task
- Saudi Princess Ameera Aidan fights sex exploitation
- Hacking into the gate
- Review: A Bad Moms Christmas Relatable holiday humour
- A must watch superhero film!